Five More Minutes

Five More Minutes

                He could feel Eli watching him.  The familiar, dark eyes had been glaring at him for the past several minutes but Soohyun felt no qualms about putting him off for a few more.  He’d already told the younger male he’d do whatever he wanted to when he was finished with his current song.  Granted, it was taking him longer than he had intended to put the words on paper, but Eli was well aware of his creative process by now.  Distractedly, he exhaled a gust of air that drew the brown bangs off his forehead before sending loose strands right back into his equally brown eyes again.

                In the background, Eli finally shifted to move, his bare feet shuffling loudly over the carpet while he headed for the kitchen.  Soohyun kept his focus pinned on the paper in front of him, watching the letters of his words stain the surface with each of his pen.  It was a comforting sort of sound; rhythmic and steady as it followed an easy flow.  Just the hint of a breeze came to from the open window to his right and he glanced out, smiling at the beautiful day it had become.  Almost as if it was being impatient with him too, that same breeze ruffled the corner of his page and would have taken it away if Soohyun didn’t have a hand on it.

                The smell of rain still lingered in the air but it had cooled everything off and made the greenery practically glisten in the following sunshine.  Smiling to himself, Soohyun shifted on the hard plane of his chair and leaned back over his work again, smoothing the edges down reflexively as he heard Eli returning with a loud sigh.  “Just a little longer,” he placated gently, declining to divert his attention.

                Eli grumbled under his breath and came up behind Soohyun to rest his hands on the elder male’s shoulders, leaning close so he could peer down at what he was writing.  “That’s what you told me an hour ago,” he whined, the hint of a petulant tone in his voice.

                “I know,” Soohyun chuckled, patting one hand reassuringly while his other continued writing.  “But when I’m done, I’m all yours,” he promised with a crooked grin, giggling once and ducking his head to the side when Eli impishly blew into his ear.  “Yah!” he complained as the taller male danced back nimbly, completely avoiding the errant swat that would have landed.  “Brat.”

                “Workaholic,” Eli shot back, sticking his tongue out.

                Soohyun raised a brow and rested his right arm on the back of the chair, eyeing his boyfriend intently.  He was still in his lounge clothes from earlier that morning.  Gray sweat pants and a white tank top hugged his sturdy frame while he threaded his fingers on top of his head, squashing the blonde strands that were valiantly trying to remain upright.  “You’re not helping,” he reminded the other male, pointing his finger at him with the pen sitting awkwardly in his hand.

                “It’s not like I can make you write any faster,” Eli blinked back, standing not unlike a finely carved sculpture.  He was doing it on purpose and they both knew it; especially with the way Eli was nibbling on the side of his bottom lip.

                “Go sit down,” Soohyun laughed, forcefully turning himself back around again so he could focus once more.  He paused to make sure his partner did just that but when he didn’t hear anything, he had cause to worry.  After another brief delay, he relaxed when he heard Eli moving, shuffling over the carpet once more.  Zap!  Soohyun jolted in his chair with a startled yelp as the static electricity charge got him right on the edge of his bare shoulder.

                “Yah!” Eli cried immediately after when Soohyun turned to give him a rather nasty glare.  It was all bluff and blunder but the expression had been proven to work time and again.

                Frowning darkly as he took another slow breath, Soohyun watched Eli peering almost comically from behind the kitchen doorframe, his head just about parallel to the ground.  “Five more minutes,” he urged holding up the hand with the pen still lodged in place.

                “Nope,” Eli winked with a shake of his head, flashing a cheeky smile from his safe vantage point.

                “You impatient little…” Soohyun trailed off, not even bothering to finish the sentence before he resumed his original positioning.  Granted, there wasn’t much point in Eli agreeing anyway since his five minutes usually turned into ten and fifteen and so on because he had a knack for getting lost in his own endeavors, unless he had a deadline or something to cut him short.  Today, neither of them did and Eli was being a regular distraction.  As much as it was irritating, Soohyun rather ersely enjoyed it too since it was nearly impossible to get utterly lost when Eli was around.

                He managed to make a little more progress before he started to get concerned when he didn’t hear Eli in the background.  His pen continued to scratch over the page though until he noticed movement in his peripheral vision.  What the…?  No matter how many times he’d seen it, watching Eli strut around the table with his arms bent like wings and his head bobbing back and forth at each step would never not be funny.  Soohyun put the pen down and laughed outright at the flawless pigeon impression.

                Eli beamed back at him and continued pretending to be a bird as he turned around and repeated the process.  “I can keep this up all day,” he reminded the elder male.

                “Don’t I know it,” Soohyun chuckled, simply following Eli with his eyes, giving up on trying to write for the moment.  At present, there was no point.

                “It’s much too nice a day out for you to be sitting in here, Soo,” Eli whined, finally making his way around the table in the same jerky gait.  “Plus I’m starving and we should get food,” he nodded emphatically, leaning close enough to ‘peck’ at Soohyun so that he stole a kiss on the seated male’s cheek.

                Soohyun wrinkled his nose in amused delight and reached out to place his hand against Eli’s waist, the contact comfortable and light.  “You know you can make something without me.”

                “Yeah, but it’s not as much fun,” Eli admitted, sliding around behind Soohyun to rest his chin atop the brown head of hair while he laced his arms to cross in front of the blue tank top covered chest.

                Looking up took a bit of effort and even then all he saw were Eli’s nostrils which made him laugh all over again.  Soohyun patted Eli’s arms and urged, “Why don’t you go find something for us to cook then and I’ll be in there in a minute.”

                “Liar,” Eli snorted, tightening his arms slightly for a better hug.

                “Promise,” Soohyun tried again, loosening one of Eli’s hands so he could kiss his palm quickly before threading their fingers together with his hand on the outside.

                “Aish.  Something tells me I shouldn’t believe you,” Eli retorted in a sing-song voice, though he did unwind from around Soohyun so he could practically jog into the kitchen.  The seated male shifted so he could watch him bounce away and then shook his head in amusement.

                As it often did, time passed quicker than he anticipated and Soohyun blinked in surprise when Eli returned to be a distraction once more.  This time he opted to be a monkey…  Soohyun nearly jumped out of his seat when Eli suddenly appeared at his side, moving quickly on all fours and making typical monkey sounds.  Confounded by the interruption, Soohyun searched for a clock and winced when he realized quite a bit more time had gone by than he’d thought…

                “So what did you choose?” Soohyun asked, finally setting his pen down to turn and look at Eli better.

                “You should come see,” Eli winked, his elbows resting on the insides of his bent knees, giving him a very strange posture while he squatted in place.

                “I should?” Soohyun teased, leaning a bit closer with his hands folded between his own knees.  Irritatingly, he had to shake his bangs out of the way again but Eli just nodded emphatically.  “Alright.  Lead on!” he cheered, jutting one fist into the air while he extended his other towards Eli who beamed at him and complied.

                Somewhat unexpectedly, Eli remained crouched on the ground, continuing his monkey impression, but it gave Soohyun the perfect view of watching an errant ladybug make its way in through the open window and attach itself to the back of Eli’s neck.  The crouched male flinched and froze as he detected something amiss.

                “Eli.  There’s a-” his warning never quite made it out.

                “Yah!” Eli yelled bloody murder and hopped up, flailing madly as he slapped at his back.  “Get it off!  What is it?!  Get it off!” he blurted in a stream of words as he spun in tight circles.

                It would have been supremely easier to help his boyfriend if Soohyun wasn’t about to die of laughter himself.  Between trying to catch his breath and uselessly attempting to stall Eli long enough to remove the harmless bug, he was pretty pathetic, all things considered.  With the utter inability to produce words, Soohyun finally just threw himself at Eli and wrapped his arms around the slightly taller male from behind, jerking to the side with him when the final spin was harder to curb than he anticipated.  “Easy!” he laughed in a burst of sound with his chin propped on Eli’s shoulder.

                “Is it gone?!  What was it?!” Eli continued to freak out, frantically looking over his shoulders as if he could still feel it on him, completely missing Soohyun’s face almost directly next to his.

                Valiantly, Soohyun took a small breath to compose himself and explained, “Just a ladybug.”

                “Seriously?” Eli mumbled in annoyed disbelief, clearly disgruntled about his ‘attacker’ as the tension bled from his frame.

                “Yep,” Soohyun chuckled, rocking gently from side to side, getting Eli’s body to sway with him.  “It was a cute little red and black one,” he promised with almost childish delight.

                “Ugh!” Eli groaned, smacking himself in the face with his palm, making Soohyun laugh.

                “Come on,” Soohyun urged, smacking the toned torso with his palm lightly.  “Somebody mentioned being hungry?”  He placed a quick kiss on the back of Eli’s shoulder before he peeled away and started walking, only to nearly fall as he was jumped on from behind.  “Ack!” he groaned, stumbling forward until he could brace his palms on his knees and glare over his shoulder at his grinning boyfriend.  “Shouldn’t you be the one carrying me?”

                “I could but this is more fun,” Eli laughed, squeezing tighter with his arms and legs.

                Soohyun snorted in amusement and latched onto the honey thighs with his palms before straightening up.  “So what did you choose?” he asked as he wandered into the kitchen, careful not to bang Eli’s knees on the doorframe.

                “Erm…” Eli trailed off when Soohyun came to a stop in the middle of the kitchen only to find that there was absolutely nothing to be seen anywhere.  “I didn’t?” he answered questionably.

                “Hopeless,” Soohyun sighed with a shake of his head.  “I’m guessing you just didn’t want to cook anything.”

                Eli hummed under his breath and let himself go limp on Soohyun’s back, his chin resting on the nearest shoulder while his arms dangled in front.  “There’s always delivery.”

                “Aish,” Soohyun exhaled as he stood up and gently started to ease Eli off his back, giving him time to recover his footing before he let go entirely.  “Now you’re just being lazy,” he chided while he pat Eli’s thigh with his right hand and moved to aim for the fridge.

                “Well someone’s gotta be,” Eli retorted before he reached out to grab Soohyun by the waist with both hands and drag him back against his body.  “Between you and me, it’s not gonna be you,” he teased with a knowing look in his eye as he smiled down at his boyfriend.

                “Yeah, yeah,” Soohyun murmured with a raised brow, though he didn’t make any effort to pull away as the insides of his arms brushed against the backs of Eli’s hands.  The chest against his back was warm and supportive, making it rather difficult for him to willingly step out anyway.  “So do you wanna help me cook then?” he asked, turning just enough to get a better view of Eli, bringing their faces to a couple inches apart.

                “I guess,” Eli murmured, his expression a cross between a pout and a frown, though he did lean in the rest of the way for a quick and chaste kiss, their lips lingering for only a second.  “If you’re really sure you don’t want to order delivery,” he continued, sliding his arms the rest of the way around Soohyun’s waist to hold him close as he rested his chin back on his shoulder and hugged firmly.

                “Lazy pigeon,” the shorter male chuckled before he swayed them both towards the fridge, taking long, awkward strides so they wouldn’t step on each other.

                “Only sometimes,” Eli defended himself plaintively.

                “Most of the time.”  His dry response was perfectly neutral, though amusement was hard to hide.

                “Now you’re just being mean,” the taller male grumbled in his ear.

                “You can cook then,” Soohyun commented, opening the fridge to peer inside.

                “That’s just cruel, Soo…” Eli trailed off as he allowed himself to become mostly deadweight on his boyfriend’s back.

                “Yah!” Soohyun yelped, lurching against the door when he wasn’t expecting the shift.  If he hadn’t been wearing socks, he might have been okay, but the soft cloth did nothing to grip the hard floor and his feet slipped the rest of the way out from under him, taking them both down in front of the fridge as cool air spilled out on top of them.  He was only fortunate to be wearing stretch pants too or fabric might have been torn in the process.

                “Oops,” Eli murmured in chagrin, looking more embarrassed by the moment, though he seemed content enough to remain lying on top of Soohyun until the elder male nudged him away.

                Determinedly, Soohyun pushed himself up on his hands and knees and settled back on his heels to glare at Eli, his arms crossed over his chest.  “If it’s going to be this much trouble to actually make something, maybe we should just call delivery,” he suggested dryly, gesturing with one hand.

                “Okay!” Eli grinned, hopping up effortlessly as he scrambled to get his phone.  “Chinese or pizza?” he called from the back room, his voice echoing down the hall in a matter of seconds.

                Soohyun simply sighed and rolled his eyes before he carefully got to his feet and closed the fridge.  “Do I get a choice?” he asked with a smile while he stuck his head around the entryway to catch a glimpse of his boyfriend staring at his phone.

                “Chinese it is!” the younger male bounced in place and hit the call button.

                “Hopeless,” he sighed to himself, though his smile was impossible to banish.  Fluidly, Soohyun drifted into the hallway and allowed his hand to brush against Eli’s abs as he went by.  “Gonna take a shower.  You know what I want,” he added in a completely innocent tone of voice.  His smile was anything but when he heard Eli nearly choke on the phone when he heard the comment as he tried to place their order.