The Evidence - Sungha

[HIATUS] Average Joon

*Author's Note: This chapter will be in the POV of Sungha, but in third person. Hojoon's chapters will be in first person and Sungha's chapters will be in third person. I'm sorry the confusion! I felt that it was necessary for the progression of the story and separating the two different voices. Also, there is slight mention of , so read at your own discretion. Happy Reading! :)

*Oh, and there will be some links for you to open, since there are references to Hawaii in this chapter. If you have any questions, please post them on the comments below! ^^v

*Black for English, Blue for Korean

Sungha was utterly amused.

Her fiance did it again. And under her watch, too. Alex was just too dumb to notice her watching him. To notice her looking for a legitimate reason to break the engagement.

Her parents had been adamant about the engagement, threatening to marry her off with someone older and not-as-handsome as her fiance if she tried any "funny business." She could really care less about who her parents chose for her. She was a rebel, through and through. A carbon copy of her Oppa, Jin Hyosang.

Eventually, she would find a way to break the engagement and she finally found a way. It was really too easy since her fiance had the IQ of a pea.

Clutching onto the memory card she retrieved from the camcorder hidden in the teddy bear she had given him as a "first date" gift, Sungha tiptoed out of Alex's one-room apartment as discreetly as possible. Before leaving, she threw a disgusted look at his bed, where he and one of his floozy women laid with their bare legs intertwined. Other areas of their bodies were exposed, but she didn't care to look. There wasn't much to see, anyway.

"Goodbye, Alex. It was nice knowing you," Sungha whispered with a smirk.

~:~:~:~:~

Sungha's parents winced as gasps, moans, and grunts resounded from the computer screen on her father's desk. In pure stupidity, the lovers were making love in broad daylight, therefore Alex's face, at that moment filled with lust and ecstasy, could clearly be seen.

Sungha knew. There would be no excuses this time.

"What is this, Sarah?" Her father managed to utter a few minutes after the lovers' grand performance. Sungha noted that it was in English. Either he was stressed or pissed off. Maybe he was both.

"Exactly what it is, Dad."

"How did you get this footage?" Inquired her mother who was just as flustered as her husband.

"I knew something was up, so I installed a hand-held camcorder in a certain stuffed teddy bear. It was in perfect view of his bed."

"Do you have any idea how stupid that was?" Her father snapped.

Sungha simply shrugged her shoulders, in true Hyosang fashion. "I think him banging a girl in broad daylight is even more stupid. I don't need a husband as stupid as him."

"Watch your mouth, Sarah! What you did is outrageous! How do you think my practice is going to survive now that you have this video?"

Sungha's lips flattened into a thin line as all signs of laughter vanished from her face. "Are you serious, Dad? All you worry about is your practice! What about ME? Your 20-year-old daughter?"

Her mother glanced nervously at her husband. "Sarah, honey, I think you should--"

"You better not say, 'let this go,' Mom. You should be the one supporting me!"

"You know that your father would never have arranged this engagement for you if it wasn't the best choice."

"Mom, Alex is not the sort of husband I want. I don't want to live with a man who sleeps around! Look at him, Mom! Look at him!" Sungha pointed wildly at the paused screen of Alex collapsing onto the woman. It was sickening just to look at it, really.

"He is the only chance we have at keeping the firm, Sarah. Your father has every right to--"

"You are willing to destroy my life, destroy my HAPPINESS, for the sake of your practice, Dad!" Sungha hollered, turning to her father with furrowed eyebrows. "First, you did it with Hyosang and now--"

Sungha's father silenced her with a frigid glare. "Don't you dare go on, Jin Sungha."

"Dad--"

"You are different from your older brother. Don't you dare bring him up again." Her father his heel and stormed out of his office. Sungha's mother threw her a pitying glance, then followed her husband out.

Sungha pulled the memory card out of her father's computer. She stared at the small piece of plastic that held the only thing that could grant her freedom. Why couldn't her father accept that she was too much like Hyosang?

She sighed dejectedly, then pocketed the memory card. She was going to need it in the future.

~:~:~:~:~

(*Author's Note: There will be some usage of Pidgin, an English Creole spoken in Hawaii. Please let me know in the comments whether it is too difficult to understand. :) Happy Reading!)

"So, den, I was like, 'Brah, wea you wen find dat girl? She's a ing babe, man!'" Alex chattered on the phone. "He wen look at me and said, 'Yeah, I know, I know, Alex. .'"

Sungha rolled her eyes when Alex collapsed into a bout of laughter. He was so scatterbrained, she doubted that his conversation would go any further than that. In fact, most of his conversations started and ended that way. It was funny how he spoke more on the phone than with her.

The two of them were 'cuddled' on her living room sofa, 'watching TV' and 'munching on popcorn.' His right arm was wrapped lightly around her shoulders, his fingers playing with a lock of her long hair. She leaned into him, simply because that was what she had to do as a fiance. It was actually a part of the contract, in the fine print that her father thought she couldn't read. It took all her self-composure to remain in that position, to tell the truth.

She wanted so badly to shove a handful of popcorn into his mouth, just so he could stop talking.

Her one bedroom apartment was nestled five minutes away from Kaneohe Bay , one of the more peaceful beaches on the island of Oahu. The hustle and bustle of the city were hidden behind the Ko'olau Mountains , leaving the Windward Coast calm and serene.

She was born and raised in the Kaneohe community and she knew Alex better than anyone else. They were next door neighbors who attended the same elementary, intermediate, and high schools. They played in the same playgrounds, were a part of the same taekwondo team, and had the same classes together all throughout elementary. Everyone thought that they would make the perfect couple if they were to get married one day.

Alex was the perfect example of a local-boy-gone-bad. As a little boy, he loved to fish, surf, and catch opihis with his father, then go to the market to pick up fresh ahi poke  for dinner every other night. He once loved learning about his Hawaiian heritage during Hawaiiana class in elementary. He once loved fashioning hooks for his father's fishing collection and polishing opihi shells  to give to his mother and younger sisters for their birthdays.

It wasn't until Alex got his first high school girlfriend did he make an 180-degree turn. Sungha watched him take his first drag of pakalolo (*smoking pot), his first swig of Bud Light, and his first arrest for vandalism. She never cared deeply, since they were never friends to begin with, but she sort of felt responsible. She was his next-door neighbor, after all. She should have done something to stop, or at least slow down, Alex's self-destructive behavior. Plus, his family always treated her with love and respect. She owed them that much.

As Alex and Sungha grew into young adults, their fathers began collaborating. Hyosang had already 'left the nest' (if one could put it nicely) and Sungha's father needed stability in his business. Alex's father, being the General Manager for the Bank of Hawaii branch in Kaneohe, offered to sponsor his practice. However, Alex's father had one condition: an arranged marriage between their two children.

Sungha knew that it was his father's attempt to shape Alex into a better man. His father adored her. It was just too bad that she wanted nothing to do with Alex.

Staring at the flickering images on her flat-screen TV, Sungha sighed. She didn't want to be in Hawaii. She wanted to be where her brother was, in Korea.

"K, shoots, den. Nah, no need. Da kine goin' bring 'em. Yeah, whatevas, braddah, I'm wit my girl right now." Alex swiped 'End Call' and tossed his phone beside him. He drew in a slow breath, then exhaled a yawn, squeezing his eyes shut in the process.

"Alex?" Sungha called out absentmindedly.

"Hm?"

"What do you think about this?"

He popped open an eye at her. "About what?"

"About this," Sungha murmured, fiddling with the engagement ring on her third finger. "Us together. Soon to be married."

Alex shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. You know more about dat stuff than I do."

"Alex, you have to start thinking about the future. Our parents will be expecting us to, you know, have children and stuff."

Alex smirked and leaned closer so that their lips were a breath apart. "So, what den, Sarah? You like start now?"

Sungha flushed pink and shook her head. She couldn't deny that Alex had grown physically, even though his mental capabilities were still that of an adolescent. His eyes were darker and deeply set, his lips full and firm, his jawline more defined, and his hair lightly tousled in waves of dark brown and gold. His bronze skin smoothed over his shoulders, then stretched across his torso and back. Alex was really a sight to behold, so to say that Sungha wasn't affected by his mere appearance would be a lie.

"No. I'm just saying that..." Sungha stuck her hand into the pocket of her jean shorts and the memory card. "That we need to be serious about these things. Marriage isn't all fun and games, you know."

Alex leaned back and laughed out loud. ", I know dat, Sarah. I'm not as dumb as you tink."

Sungha gripped the memory card in her fist. "Then, why are you sleeping around?"

There was a pause, long enough to make Sungha uncomfortable. It was true that she did not love him and neither did she like him. But, they knew as much about each other as best friends or lovers would. Therefore, Alex would know that she was on to something.

Alex faced her with an unfathomable expression. "How you know dat? You have evidence?"

"Something like that."

Another pause. "Den, do it."

"Do what?"

"Show it to Dad. I knew fo' da longest time you hated me. I knew dat you didn't want dis marriage fo' happen."

"Alex--"

"What, you didn't tink I knew you was watching me? I knew dat you wanted out. Maybe I was just selfish fo' not giving up." Alex pulled his arm away and stood up. "So, what you wen do wit da evidence? If you even have it."

Sungha cleared . "I showed it to my Dad. He doesn't want me to show it to Uncle."

"Of course, he no like. He one ing lawyer! Lawyers ing hate losing money!" Alex snarled as he flipped her coffee table into the air. Sungha flinched when the glass top shattered. "Sarah, I know dat you tink I one loser, but I not. I'm one ing champion!"

"I-I know, Alex!" Sungha stammered. She stood up and snatched her lamp away from his hands. "I know that you have accomplished a lot. You have a new job, a new car, and a new home, and you earned that all on your own. But, I can't take it, Alex! I'm not like you. I can't sleep around just because I don't love you! If I'm in arranged marriage, I would stay if the other person is faithful!"

Alex glared at Sungha with a wild glint in his eyes. "Like hell, you would! I know you, Sarah. You would probably one of my friends just to break us up!"

"Don't you dare go there, Alex," Sungha warned coldly. "Don't mistake me for you. I would never sleep around just to break up with you. You should be lucky I didn't go to your Dad straight away!"

Alex stood in front of her, his body tense from head to toe. His fists clenched and unclenched, veins appearing and disappearing on his arms. His neck was double its size and his torso heaved up and down with each heavy breath. After a few minutes, his body swelled down enough for him to breathe normally. A soft expression reformed his features. "Why you tink dat way about me, Sarah? I don't other girls to break up wit you."

Sungha rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right. Tell me why you would sleep with a girl in broad daylight, then?"

"Because! !" Alex clutched at his hair. "Because I can't do dat wit YOU."

Sungha let out a bark of laughter. "What? THAT'S your reason? That's ing lame--"

Sungha's laughter was cut short when Alex pinned her to her sofa. As she struggled, he bore his eyes into hers. "You have no ing idea, did you? Dat maybe, I wanted to be in dis arranged marriage? Dat maybe I wanted fo' be wit you?"

Her breath hitched when he leaned closer to brush his lips against her exposed neck. "I-I seriously doubt that, A-Alex. Don't ing play with me. I'm n-not one of your girl toys."

Alex pulled away. "You keep saying, you not 'dis' and you not 'dat.'"

"Because I'm not any of those things! I'm NOT your girl toy, I'm NOT a , and I'm NOT like YOU! So, please, get the off me!"

Alex paused, then got off of her. He turned his head away from her and made his way towards the door. He opened it and before he left, he whispered, "Do it, den, Sarah. I owe you dat much."

~:~:~:~:~

Later that night, the two families came together for dinner. Alex refused to look at Sungha all evening. Thankfully, no one found that suspicious.

When his parents approached her, she asked if they could come with her to her father's office. Just as she was about to turn on the footage, she pulled the memory card out.

She didn't want Alex's parents to find more reasons to hate their eldest child.

Instead, Sungha walked out and intertwined her fingers with Alex.

 

*****Hey, all! Here is the second chapter! Please enjoy and, if you would like to, comment and subscribe! Constructive Criticism is also welcome! ^^ I appreciate it! 7.18.14 :)*****