New Beginning

Unexpected

Maria’s POV

 

The once colorless air was now filled with balloons and streamers of green and yellow. With everyone around me hugging and jumping around made me realize that my high school career has finally come to an end. Squishing through the crowds, like a groundhog digging its way out for fresh air, I found my family and fresh air. We got into the car and drove off to meet my co-graduates for our graduation party at Firetap Alehouse. While getting out of the car I took off my gown and hat, which was refreshing. Once I got into the restaurant I was met with hugs and gifts from friends and family and most importantly the food...just kidding. The whole room was filled with laughter and joy, but then someone asked us, graduates, what we have planned for our future. One by one each of us, graduates, revealed our plans.

 

Estella’s POV

 

It felt like everything was in slow-motion. Once our class president said, “Move your tassels to the left,” we all did what he said. I wasn’t sure if I was nervous or excited to be graduating. Once I moved my tassel and in my head I yelled, “I GRAUDATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL!” The balloons fell from the ceiling. Everyone was cheering and all the families and friends rush down from the audience seats to find their high school graduates. I had to admit I was a short graduate, even though I was wearing heels the people around me were still taller, specially being around a group of tall guys.

 

Thankfully my family and friends found me with no problem. All these leis and bouquets on my neck makes me feel like a walking Christmas tree for crying out loud. Also the leis and bouquets were like wands because I was leaving fairy dust, glitter, everywhere I go. To be honest I never thought leis and bouquets could be a handful. It was heavy and I could barely see where I am going. Before I could make to my car, all my friends somehow spotted me and grab me to take some endless selfies with them. Well I do like selfies and I can’t say no to pictures. Besides it would become memories in the future so why not?

 

I told my parents that me and my friends are going to have a graduation party and I would be late. I hop into my graduation gift, my own car. Yes, I’m the only child I got spoiled since I was little. Took off my gown and my hat, dam having those on was hot. I turn on the radio, switched it to my favorite station and let the music flow inside my car. I sang along while driving to Firetap, to meet up with my friends. Everything seems to be different after graduation. It’s like a new beginning with a new pair of glasses to view things. I wonder what will happen next?

 

I carelessly tap the rhythm, with my fingers, on the steering wheel while talking to myself. I’m happy that I actually made it into Academy of Art University. Major in Theater Arts. It’s always my dream to attend to this university. I always had an artsy side of me even though I haven’t used it that much in high school. If I didn’t secretly apply to this college I might have ended up studying to become an engineer. I wish I had a chance to go to Japan to meet all my favorite idols and design their stage for their concerts or any of their performances’. That would be a dream come true. Most of my friends were crazy about K-pop, I have to admit that they do have some cool stage design that I’m interested in. If I can make a career at Korea that would be cool, too. But I still prefer Japan since my Japanese is better than my Korean.

 

I swiftly park my car and walked into Firetap and saw my friends in the room waiting for me and the others. I quickly ordered my food and drink. Who needs menus? I come here so often that I know all the dishes that I like and dislike. While we wait for our food we start to talk about our future, dreams and goals that kind of stuff.

 

Maria’s POV

 

Once it was my turn to talk about my plans Estella finally arrived. She ordered her food and I started to talk again. I told them my plan was about studying to become an assistant director will actually PD, production designer, is what I’m more interested in, but assistant director is the first step to that dream. Anyway I wanted to become a PD because I like watching variety shows and mainly variety shows from Korea. My other friends started to tell their plans and eventually I discovered that Rubi, cousin, and Olivia, friend, were planning on going to California for an OJT program, on the job training, just to see if they wanted to pursue the job they want in college. Scarlet, Rubi’s younger sister, and Mari are still high school students so they still have a long way to go before we meet in school again. Alice, Rubi’s older sister, is almost a college graduate in computer engineering, and she said her plan was to go to with Rubi because she was also given an OJT opportunity for famous company in California.

 

Suddenly Andrew came running in with his gown and graduation hat still on he then said, “Sorry for being late there was a lot of traffic”, and then his girlfriend was behind him laughing. “Dude, you left before me how can you be so slow?” Estella mocked. We all talked for a while before heading home to rest. I can’t believe that high school is over, but I guess it’s time to face the real world, but first college.

 

As I was going home I was talking to Estella on the phone, but then we both got a message. The message read, “Looking for a scholarship? Well do you like art, Korea, idols, and exchange programs well just call the number bellow to inquire.” Estella was still on the phone and she said, “Did you get the message? It sounds good we should check out.” I replied, “Sure lets go to our main campus to ask about the scholarship just in case it’s a fraud.” The next day I picked Estella up and we went to the main campus. When we were done meeting we found out that the message was actually true, so we applied.

 

Estella’s POV

 

We checked with our campus and asked about the scholarship that we both received last night. It was true so we both applied to it and summited our application. Since we were on campus we decided to explore for a while. We both went our own way to explore our major department. I was having my adventure in the library, I look through some amazing art work. I felt some sort of feeling that there was a ghost that wouldn’t leave me alone. A hand was on my shoulder, I sigh, ‘this guy would follow me till I die’, I thought in my head.

 

“What are you doing here, Andrew?” I asked

 

“I’m not going to leave you, Secretary”, He said with a smile. Here we go again. This is a long story that I don’t want to recall.

 

“……are you majoring in engineering? This university doesn’t have an engineering major”

 

“Well like I said before I’m not leaving you. We are going to be together forever”, He said.

 

“……” Seriously sometimes I wonder what’s in this dude’s head. What about your girlfriend. I know she don’t mind cause we are just friends with some weird deal/rules. But it doesn’t mean there were going to be stuck together forever.

 

“Anyway if you are here then what major are you going to do? You don’t do art. You do music and this university only have art majors!” I asked.

 

“People find their way out. I’m sure I can do the same thing. Beside I have you here to help me”, He answered.

 

“Okay. First thing first. Different major have different requirements. You can’t copy my homework it’s not like calculus.” I’m trying my best to explain what will happen in this campus. But Andrew seems to have made up his mind staying here with me, while his girlfriend is still in high school. I guess I have to be stuck with him again. Having had all classes together for our entire senior year and now college. Great. Just great.

 

“Hey Est, what classes are you taking? Are we taking classes together?” He asked

 

“You don’t even know your major yet. How can we have classes together?" I give up with this dude. I know he’s not going to change his mind. I it up for a year, I can do it again even if it’s four years this time. At least I have a free driver now.

 

Maria’s POV

 

Being the clumsy person that I am I tripped on the stairs to go to my department building. Luck being on my side during that moment, a person behind me grabbed my backpack. After getting back on normal ground I turned around and thanked the person. To my surprise the person was no other than Bang Yongguk. I was about to say something but he cut me off by saying, “Be careful next time and I guess we might be classmates someday and by the way my name is…”, I cut him off by saying, “Bang Yongguk right am I right?” He laughs and once he was done laughing he said, “No that guy is my twin brother I see that you’re a kpop fan.” He then motioned me to follow him.

 

Once we were in our department building we sat down and chatted for a while. I found out that the same scholarship was being offered in Korea and that he was taking the PD version. When he found out that I was stuck between director assistant and PD he told me to just take PD because he believes that it would be more fun. After his persuading I look at my application and changed it to PD. After saving my results I got a message which read, “You need to create some type of variety show game and film it and send it to us.” I look over my shoulder and Yongnam was right there. I was about to say something, but once again he cut me off by saying, “I’m handsome aren’t I.” “No, do you know your growing a pimple on your cheek?” I replied. His reaction was big eyes and a smirk afterwards. “Anyways go film so I can still have classes with you in Korea once I finish my required class here.”

 

Estella then texted me that Andrew was going to drop her off so I drove and planned out the games I need to film and send. Then I got a text, it was Yongnam...wait how did I get his number...wait how did he get my number?  The text read, “You might be wondering how we exchanged numbers right? Well I grabbed your phone when you were falling and since you didn’t have a combo I put my number in. Then I slipped it back into your bag while you were about to turn around. Anyway I got friends that wouldn’t mind being in your variety game film. Text me if you’re okay with that.” Oh my gosh thank you Yongnam. I texted him my thanks and got down to business.

 

The next day Est was waking me up because I fell asleep while planning. We both went out to shop for our projects. I texted Yongnam to meet at a beach like park. After filming the games I set up we all ate the lunch bags that I brought. Once I got home I edited the film and added audio, but wait Yongnam...no one will think it was Bang Yongguk, but if they did…just got to wait and see. I finish editing and send the film away hopefully I get the scholarship. *Yawn* time to get some rest.      

 

Estella’s POV

 

I wish I had a merry way all the way through but things don’t always turns out to be the way I want. Now I’m stuck with Andrew and I need to help him with the scholarship. Great, just great. He doesn’t even know how to use a drawing pad for crying out loud! Took me forever to teach him how to use it. He should be glad I bought a new one not too long ago, so he could use my old ones. Now he’s finally gone back to his house, I can work on my scholarship’s project. All I need to do is design the stage, simple as that. It’s not like I’m going to find a stage and design it. What I need to do is draw everything out but if it’s a regular design on paper, that’s no fun. The best way to do this is take everything to the extreme.

 

I was into architecture and I was going to major in it but I changed my mind. I learned how to make mini models from my cousin who was from this university and graduated this year. He taught me how to make models also how to use drawing pad to make 3D designs! I'm not in the mood to build my mini models. I’m more in the mood to test out my new drawing pad. But what kind of theme do I want to do? It did say to be creative and all but what do they want to see? All I have right now it’s the size of the stage and how it looked without any decoration. A very normal, boring stage. What can I do to make it creative?

 

I opened my laptop and stare at my empty page. I can’t just stare at it and do nothing. I went through my playlist to clear my thoughts. I was spacing out and that was all I did. Till I heard one of my favorite mash up. I grin and said I got an idea. If Sam Tsui can mash up a Let it go from Frozen and Let her go from Passengers. Those totally different styles together why can’t I do the same? I grab my digital pen, turn on my artsy button and let it take over me.