1/1

Don't cry pretty snowflake

 

Jungkook’s first snow comes as a surprise. He had just pulled an all-nighter on a choreo that had him stuck on for weeks now. When he stepped out of the tiny dance studio, red hoodie over his head and thick gloves covering his shaking fingers, that’s when he saw the pretty snowflakes falling from the winter night sky. He smiled brightly and looked up at the sky, showing his bunny teeth as he did. Jungkook has always loved snow.

 

Junhong’s first snow comes anticipated. He had been dreading the arrival of this day. It was the day of his department from his family in Mokpo. Junhong told himself he would have to do this in order to pay back his parents for all the things they’ve done for him. His fingers shake slightly as he zipped up the last of his luggage and set out to say good-bye to his older brother, the only person who wasn’t too busy to bid Junhong a safe trip. Junhong has always hated snow.

 

 

“Hyung! It’s snowing! It’s snowing!” Jungkook called out to Jimin who was sitting on his ipad watching new videos from Chris Brown. 

 

“Sure is kiddo.” Jimin said not looking up from the screen and just kept on bobbing his head to the music as he tried to imitate the artist.

 

“Hyung you’re not even looking.” Jungkook pouted and got down from the chair that had been supporting him. He huffed and crossed his arms in front of his chest, angry at Jimin for not paying any attention to him.

 

“Hmm… sorry Jungkookie, hyung’s just a little busy right now.” Jimin smiled apologetically. “How about you go show that to Yoongi hyung?” Jimin nudged and the younger was running on his feet in no time.

 

Easy, Jimin thought.

 

 

“Arrival in Seoul in 10 minutes”

 

A static voice came out from the speaker of the train and Junhong looked up from his lap. Finally, he thought. He quickly checked his items and luggage to make sure he wouldn’t forget anything. Junhong has always had a tendency to lose things, that’s why he always hangs them around his body.

 

The train finally arrives at the last station, Seoul. Junhong took a deep breath and exited the confined space that had him suffocating for the last 5 hours. He was finally here. He was finally going to make something of himself. Junhong smiled. If he worked hard enough and put effort into everything he does, he knows he’ll be able to make it in the entertainment industry.

 

His stomach started grumbling and Junhong decided to stop by the nearest convenient store to buy some ramyun. The clerk scans his items as Junhong reached for his wallet but it was nowhere to be found. He dug and dug to the point where he had to empty everything out of his worn out satchel… but nothing. He had somehow managed to lose his wallet in the middle of a foreign city. He didn’t even have a cell phone.

 

I’m dead, Junhong thought.

 

 

“So Yoongi hyung said I would take you out for some ddeokbokki?” Namjoon asked with a flabbergasted expression.

 

“Mm-hmm. He said hyung would get me black bean noodles as well!” Jungkook beamed happily.

 

As bad as Namjoon just wanted to stay inside and work on his new tracks, the thought of disappointing Jungkook and wiping that smile off his face would make Namjoon feel guilty for weeks and he knew it.

 

Namjoon sighed, “All right, get your coat. We’re going out to get some ddeokbokki.” he said and Jungkook practically pounced off the walls of the tiny room and ran to get his jacket. Namjoon mentally noted to get back at Yoongi next time.

 

 

Junhong sat on the cold metal bench, his head in his hands, and tears almost frozen on his cheeks. His breathe was weak and he was visibly shaking now. Junhong was scared. He was just a kid who didn’t know what to do in this stranger of a city. Losing his wallet meant losing his ID, his money, the address of the family friend he was supposed to be staying with. Junhong wept into the palms of his hands and thought of how useless he was. He came here to make a living and become independent but he just managed to mess up on the first day.

 

Brilliant.

 

Just brilliant.

 

The white snow fell on his shaking shoulders. The little white snowflakes melted into the fabric of his thin sweater. If only Junhong could see the beautiful view before him through those tear-stained eyes.

 

 

Jungkook pranced happily as he swung his and Namjoon’s arms back and forth. Namjoon had left the house in a hurry which resulted in him forgetting his gloves. His fingers were freezing but holding Jungkook’s hands in his made it slightly warmer. Even in the cold winter snow, the younger was still a happy ball of sunshine.

 

“One serving of ddeokbokki please.” Namjoon ordered and shoved his hands in his pockets.

 

Jungkook had spotted some skateboards in the window of a shop and had completely forgotten about why they were out in the first place. Namjoon laughed as he saw the younger’s eyes lit up at the striking colours of a particular one.

 

“Here you go sir.”

 

“Thank you”

 

He walked up to the younger and chuckled a little bit. Jungkook’s face was literally intact with the glass as he tried to get a closer look at the piece of accessory.

 

“You like that one kid?” Namjoon asked as he squatted beside the kid.

 

Jungkook hummed in response, not being able to speak with his face on the glass.

 

“Well maybe when hyung earns some more money from producing he’ll buy that for you as an early birthday present. How’s that?”

 

Namjoon tried not laugh too loud when the younger peeled his face off the window and tackled him into a bear hug.

 

“You’d do that hyung?! You’d do that for me?!”

 

“Sure would kid.”

 

He ruffled Jungkook’s hair and stood up, satisfied at how happy the younger was and held out his hand for Jungkook to follow.

 

 

Junhong lifted his head at the sound of children laughing and singing at the nearby park.

 

What the hell we’re they laughing about, he huffed angrily. There’s nothing to be happy about on this cold winter day.

 

He dug into his bag to see if his mother had packed him any food just in case and found absolutely nothing. He sniffed. Even in this moment he still needed his parents. How pathetic. He could feel the wetness running from his nose and wiped it with the sleeve of his sweater. 

 

“What am I going to do?!” he said out loud.

 

The desperateness had turned into frustration and now he was like a ticking bomb, about to blow any second. He suddenly felt something tug at his left elbow and jumped up in shock when he saw a boy his age, maybe younger, holding up a tissue. Junhong stared at the boy with big wide eyes and was confused at what he was supposed to do. The boy just nudged the tissue even closer to his face and Junhong took it as an indication that he should take it.

 

“Why are you sad?” the boy asked with a pout on his face as he jumps up to sit next to Junhong.

 

“No reason.” Junhong repied quickly and wiped his nose with the soft tissue.

 

“No one cries for no reason.” The boy kept on insisting and Junhong sighed as he stuffed the tissue in his pocket.

 

“It’s… it’s nothing. Don’t worry.” He said with an emotionless tone.

 

“Hmmm…” Jungkook’s pout got even deeper when he sensed the boy next to him didn’t want to talk.

 

Namjoon had told him to stay in front of the store as the elder went to the bathroom and that’s when Jungkook spotted a boy sniffing, clearly upset.

 

“Do you want some ddeokbokki?” he offered, trying to break the silence.

 

The other looked up at him with a spark in his eyes but it faded away just as fast as it came.

 

“N-no… it’s ok.” He said.

 

“Are you sure? It’s really yummy!” Jungkook insisted and practically stuck the delicious piece of rice cake in front of the stranger’s face.

 

“Thanks.” He smiled at Jungkook and took a bite.

 

Jungkook smiled back at him, “You have a pretty smile!”

 

The other boy’s face heated up at the compliment.

 

“You look like a pretty snowflake! Pretty snowflakes shouldn’t cry.” Jungkook added and offered him another piece of ddeokbokki.

 

“Umm… I…”

 

“Jungkook! Where have you been? I’ve been looking all over for you.” They heard a voice from the distant and Jungkook quickly got down from the metal bench and ran to Namjoon.

 

“Sorry hyung!” he said as he grabbed onto Namjoon’s sleeve.

 

He waved goodbye to Junhong who also gave him a little wave back. When he settled back in his seat he could still smell the amazing waft of steaming hot ddeokbokki. That’s when he realized the other boy had left the whole container in the place where he had been sitting. Junhong tried to search for him but the boy with the cute bunny teeth and doe eyes was nowhere in sight. He sighed as he hunched back in his seat and tried to warm his hands with the container. He took another bite of the mouth-watering food and sighed contently.

 

Maybe this cold winter day just got warmed up.

 

 


 

I didn't want the story to be like this either ok don't kill me TTATT

*minor food lesson from the author herself: 

ddeokbokki [떡볶이]:
This amazing korean snack made from rice cake, fish cake and sweet red chilli sauce. There's these ones with tons of cheese as well oh god if you haven't tried them please do I'll even give you the money