Chapter 3

Paradox Online

CHAPTER 3

27-01-2514

 

Himchan’s eyes widened. “Level 31?” he repeated in astonishment. He swiftly looked around and caught the eyes of several players. He ushered Nara away.

They huddled into an alley between two buildings. The girl looked around uncomfortably as they crept away from the crowds.

“H-how’s that possible??” Himchan whispered once they were alone. He looked to his partner who merely stared back.

Himchan turned to the new member of their party calmly standing there. He felt like he was the only one shocked.  “Was it a special quest?” he asked cautiously in a low voice.

Nara looked up at the man and for the first time met his eyes. He looked taken aback but patiently waited for her to reply.

“Uh,” the girl opened . She dropped her head and muttered, “I got a head start.”

The two men looked at each other in confusion. They decided it was best to leave it alone for now.

Himchan scratched the back of his head. “You’re really far ahead, huh?” he pursed his lips, “Won’t it be a bother to team up with us?”

Nara shook her head. Being with them may ward off other people who may try to bother her. “It benefits me too,” Nara exclaimed from under her hood.

Himchan blinked and nudged his partner in the gut, hissing at him to say something too.

Yongguk frowned and bent down slightly to try and get a look at the girl’s face. Nara winced and quickly turned her head.

Yongguk scowled. “If we’re going to work together you better start being less vague,” he muttered. There was a chime and a message board appeared in front of the girl. “Here’s the quest,” Yongguk explained reluctantly as Nara read through the quest description.

The Wild Boars have been ruining all the crops by the Village of Demeter, 25 minutes South of Hephaestus City. Kill them and bring 35 Thick Hide as evidence to Rhea.’

Nara nodded, she remembered the groups of Wild Boar roaming around the village last time she visited. They were pushing the Village of Demeter to poverty since their main export was their once plentiful harvest. She tipped her head as she scrolled down the message. The reward was modest, a certain amount of experience, gold and a set of potions. “How many have you collected so far?”

Himchan paused and choked on his words lightly. “We just received it” he replied frankly. “We came here to find another party member.”

Well, considering they had had less than 5 hours since the game had been released and considering how many players were still chasing after rabbits, their levels were credible enough.

“It would be difficult without a Cleric.” Yongguk explained.

“It’s a bit difficult to drink the potions in between attacks,” Himchan added.

True’ Nara thought. She quickly glimpsed back at her band, there was about 2 hours left. She had become restless and wanted something to take her mind off the time. “When shall we depart?”

 “Should we go now?” Himchan asked hesitantly as he glanced to his partner.

Without a word Yongguk took out a compass and began on his way closely followed by their new member. Himchan groaned and reluctantly followed, he honestly wanted at least a short break.

 

***

 

After twenty minutes of walking they could see the peak of the village and surrounding it were mobs upon mobs of Wild Boar.

Himchan pointed at a mob of Wild Boar in front of them. “Let’s kill those ones,” he suggested. The boars had large horns that stuck out of the sides of their snouts and bristly hairs all along their backs. They were just above half a meter tall and this particular group had three of them.

Nara decided to let the two do as they please and just heal from behind. She took a step back as the two men charged forwards.

Yongguk unsheathed his sword as he lunged towards the mob of Wild Boars. He cleanly sliced through the shoulder of the closest one. It grunted madly as it stumbled back in pain. Its blood stained black on its tarnished fur.

Meanwhile Himchan pulled out two pistols from his holster and began firing at the two other boars. They immediately turned their attention to the gunman. With each bullet fired the boars grunted loudly, swinging their heads wildly as the displayed their horns.

The first boar thrashed around on the dirt before it scrambled back up. It swung its head around, its horns slicing through the air as it charged forwards. Yongguk quickly dodged the attack. He suddenly ed the sword into the side of the wild boar as it swerved back around. He could feel his sword pierce the skin as he drove it through the animal. Blood ran down to his fingers as he lifted the beast. He swung his weapon and the animal slipped off. Its heavy body rolled on the ground several times before rapidly decaying into the soil, leaving behind an imprint and some loot.

Both the men were then surrounded by a shower of light. Their bodies suddenly felt eased and their cuts were now mere scars.

Nara was casting spells as they finished off the remaining monsters.

 

***

 

The two men wiped the sweat that had formed around their hairline. They put away their weapons and approached Nara completely out of breath. All the cuts on their bodies began to close and scars began to form under their torn attire.

Himchan examined the cut on his arm vanish. He lifted a brow and turned to the newly recruited member. “Good work,” he said with a nod.

Yongguk bowed his head and silently moved onto picking up the item drops.

Three darker patches of soil surrounded them, marking where the Wild Boars had decayed. In the middle of each imprint was a small amount of money.

“That’s a total of 3 silver and 25 bronze,” Himchan announced as he counted the loot. He divided the money equally and handed the shares to the two other members. “Only 1 Thick Hide,” he added regretfully.

Yongguk frowned at the small amount of loot in his hand before stuffing it into a pocket. “34 more to go,” he said as he drew out his sword.

“Um.”

The two men halted and looked over their shoulders. Nara stood there with her head down, fidgeting.

“Yes?” Himchan pressed.

The girl lifted her head. “Can I make a suggestion?”

The two looked at each other, despite being somewhat confused they nodded.

“Himchan,” Nara started hesitantly, “have you specialized with a specific gun yet?”

She got Himchan’s attention. He placed his pistols back into their holster and shook his head. “No, not yet.”

Nara nodded in consideration. “If you took a step back and used a stronger, longer-distanced weapon while Yongguk tanks—it might be easier,” she explained timidly. Her eyes darted between the members, waiting for them to respond. She held her breath, hoping they weren’t offended.

Himchan and Yongguk looked at each other and shrugged.

“Might as well give it a shot,” Yongguk replied.

 

***

 

Himchan rolled his neck. His muscles sore from the non-stop killing. “Finally!” he grinned as he put away his weapon.

Yongguk bent over to pick up the last set of Thick Hide, a satisfied look on his face.

It had taken them a little over an hour but the feeling of achievement seemed to outweigh their exhaustion.

Nara finally eased once the last boar was killed. After attaining the 35 Thick Hide, they had collected plenty of money, some loose items and additionally Yongguk and Himchan had levelled up twice to level 9.

Himchan beamed at Nara as he approached her to give her share of the loot. “Shall we find Rhea now?” he asked as he waved around the animal skins.

 

They found Rhea by the entrance of the village. She was an elderly woman dressed in a long linen gown and a scruffy shawl. Her green eyes lit up as the party told her the news.

“Oh thank goodness,” she sighed, “I thought we’d never be able to grow anything ever again.” She let out a soft chuckle as she accepted the set of boar hide. She smiled weakly, wrinkles formed by the edges of her eyes. “To show our gratitude,” she explained as she handed over a pouch of money to the party leader, Nara.

Nara bowed her head. When she lifted her head she realized Rhea was also holding out a basket of medicinal herbs and potions. They gladly accepted and were then showered with a light signalling the completion of their quest. They celebrated momentarily as Yongguk and Himchan’s levels rose to level 10.

Afterwards they split the reward and took a seat to rest.

Nara was thinking about where to go from now. ‘Will they leave after this?’

“We’re going back to the city,” a low voice announced.

“Ah, okay…” she said softly as she nodded in acknowledgement. ‘Of course they’ll leave…’

Himchan nudged Yongguk in the side. He groaned and mumbled softly, “We’re going to get something to eat,” he paused and added, “You can come along too.”

Nara immediately lifted her head. The two stared back at her, just as surprised. “U-um,” she stuttered, “if you don’t mind—”

“Of course not!” Himchan laughed, slapping her playfully on the back.

 

***

 

The number of players around Hephaestus City had undoubtedly increased. The number of better skilled players had also increased and they had begun to travel further away from the safe confines of the city.

The party was astounded by the sudden growth in population. As they neared the gates Himchan turned to Nara and asked whether she knew a good restaurant. Due to the realism of the game, eating was a necessity. You feel hungry, thirsty and exhausted just like you would in real life.

Nara looked around at the nearby stores. They were all rather expensive. After a moment she replied, “There’s one I know at the other side of the city.”

 

They were on their way when they suddenly heard a crash followed by screaming.

“What was tha—?” Himchan said over the noise.

They turned around. That’s when they saw it.

People were being hurled meters up into the air. A gigantic scaled beast with spikes like barbed wire running up and down its body, twisted horns, blood-stained teeth and darting yellow eyes flew up into the air. Its razor sharp claws were skewered with players. Blood ran down its arms, smeared its wings and covered its face. It was painted deep red with slaughter. The monster mercilessly killed all that surrounded it.

“What is that…?” Yongguk murmured in disbelief. Horror had drained all the colour from his face. It reminded him of war and it both sickened and frightened him.

“A wyvern,” Nara responded. She was holding her breath. She could smell the blood in the air. It was the smell of rampant wet flesh staining the streets—painting the town red.

Body parts rained on the ground. Limbs were flung blocks away from their bodies and blood covered the ground like a red carpet.

Nara stared out at the piles upon piles of rapidly decaying corpses. She felt her stomach rise into as she covered in dismay.

Players were running in all directions. Buildings had crumbled on top of each other in an instant. It was chaos bathing in blood.

“We have to go!” Nara shouted over the noise—the screaming and sudden ends to cries of help, tormented her ears.

“What are you doing?” Nara shrieked. Both of them were frozen still, staring out upon the massacre. She was trembling. Trembling from head to toe. Her last sentence came out a mere yelp.

The wyvern’s eyes suddenly locked onto the gleaming sheets of metal decorating Yongguk’s torso. He took a step back as the beast’s yellow eyes glinted in the sun. Its claws, with torn flesh under its nails like dirt, hit the floor it large thumps.

The white’s in Yongguk’s eyes grew. He suddenly began to clatter in his heavy armour.

The wyvern abruptly swooped down and suddenly punched the three into a building.

They were thrown onto a roof. They slid down, slates of roofing toppling on them.

Black.

 

***

 

Nara couldn’t breathe. It felt as if something was pressing down on her chest. She forced open her eyes. Her head was leaning on a wall with her body badly bruised. She took a peek at her health bar. It was drained to half.

Himchan was beside her, lying on the ground with a wound to his head. He was awake but couldn’t stand and was dragging himself towards the wall.

Nara let out a rugged breath. She forced up her hand and began a healing spell for Himchan and then herself.

Himchan immediately got up and stumbled towards a pile of rubble. He collapsed to his knees. “Yongguk! Can you hear me?” he cried as he rolled bricks and roofing to the side.

That was when Nara noticed the two feet popping out from under the rubble.

“Hang in there!” Himchan begged. 

Nara got down on her knees as Himchan threw off the last chunk of rubble from their teammate’s chest.

Yongguk had his eyes closed. Blood ran down his face, drawing deep crimson lines from his forehead to his cheek. He wasn’t moving.

Nara hastily placed two fingers by his neck. His pulse was still there. She lifted her hand to her face and stared at it in horror. They were gloved in dark red, trickling down her arms.

“Can you heal him?” Himchan said in a rush.

Nara nodded. “I think so—”

“THEN HURRY UP!” Himchan cried.

Nara jolted back. Yongguk’s health was quickly depleting. She pressed both hands on his chest and quickly recited a spell. Half way through she was interrupted by the ragged roar of the wyvern. It made the floor rumble in its tremendous tone.

Himchan looked behind them in disbelief. “What jus—”

Nara held her breath. She could feel her heart deafeningly drill through her chest. She exhaled as soon as Yongguk’s body was wrapped into a blanket of light.

The wyvern let out another roar. This time Nara noticed a sound of pain in it. She glimpsed over her shoulder.

It looked as if it had bathed in blood. Only small patches of slithery green could be seen beneath the layers of scarlet, but what caught people’s eyes was something else.

Slashes had appeared across the wyvern's body. A figure was leaping from here and there, slicing across the beast like they were running a stick through sand. It was rampaging wildly in revulsion, slamming its body into buildings.

Gasp. Yongguk suddenly shot up. He began coughing up blood.

“H-hey are you okay??” his team mates asked.

Yongguk wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine.” He looked at Nara and thanked her.

The wyvern let out another roar. The figure had just flew across it's back, following him was a trail of red. Wyvern blood was about to drown the city.

"Who is that?" they murmured.

 


Author's Note: I hope that one day I will be able to update a week after the previous chapter... I think I just never feel up to writing the very next day after updating if there are no comments,  I'm targetting to hopefully get another chapter out before I leave for a 1 month holiday. Yes. I'm sorry. Another hiatus.

On another note I wish for B.A.P to find justice. I hope all you BABYz are behaving yourselves and not doing anything to ruin B.A.P's reputation during this dilemma. We don't want to cause them any trouble or to give the company something to argue against our boys about.

Also I'd like to note the changes to some dates in the story. In the foreward I accidentally wrote 2012, it has been changed to 2514. The dates written for each chapter, I made a mistake but have fixed it. Also, if you haven't noticed, I now have a trailer!