3

Fate Meets Catastrophe

 

Sungmin was sorting out boxes and arranging orders then another second he was scrutinizing earnings and expenses for the last 6 months. For hours he’s been multi-tasking with no complain. He likes doing that, doing things at the same time but with care and accuracy. 

It’s been over a year since he was back in Seoul. He often jumped from one place to another, hiding and finding work while his mother silently lived in Busan. The last place he’s been to before coming back to his home town was Jeju. There, he worked hard as a tourist guide thanks to his undeniable multilingual skills and he earned half the money he used get for allowance back then. However, his stay on the island was shortened due so unfortunate circumstances.

College, money and time. These were the major sacrifices he had to do to survive. With his mom a bit too weak to even finish one whole shift at work, Sungmin was forced to do his obligation as son even if it meant working day and night and also, giving up his future. He often wondered under the dark skies, what he has done to deserve such fate.

He drops his pen from the thought.

“Lee Sungmin?” He hears the manager outside the door.

“I’m sorry, but who is this? And why—“Sungmin leaned forward, curious of why he was being talked about.

“Of course! I’ll send him right away!”

Sungmin flinched when the manager barged into the door, giving him keys and 2 boxes of chicken instantly like it was a late delivery.

“Take this to The Metro Inc. Building. I’m sure you’re familiar with it.”

“What?” Sungmin was taken aback.

“The CEO of the company asked for you to deliver it specifically!”

He knew it. He knew that the evil brat won’t let him off just like that.

“No! I won’t go there! Please you don’t know what you’re doing!” He was in panic, trying to think of any other alibi to avoid the ticket to hell.

“I’ll double your salary for this month! Just get these 2 boxes of chicken there, right now.”

 

규민

 

“You lil’ .” He cursed under his breath while standing before one of the tallest building in the country.

Sungmin took a deep breath and lowered his hat. Just in case someone notices him. After all he was the son of the former owner of The Heritage Hotels. 

He rushed inside, looking straight ahead and dropped the two boxes on the desk.

“Here’s the order for Mr. Cho. I believe everything is complete. Now can I please get the payment because I’m quite busy and I have a lot more orders to deliver. Thank you!” He said as fast as he could and smiled awkwardly.

“Mr. Lee, Mr. Cho requested his orders to be delivered inside his office.” The young lady said politely.

“No. You don’t understand. Haven’t you heard I said—Wait, how the hell did you know my name?”

The lady opens to respond but Sungmin cuts her off right away.

“No don’t answer that. I have more people to attend to okay? Now could you just please tell your boss to pay me right now?”

Sungmin started to feel his ears heat up in annoyance as the lady kept insisting on what the evil brat wants. It would only take a few more push for him to totally lose it.

“I think my order is a bit late.” Sungmin hears from behind. He clenches his teeth and fisted his hands.

Act nicely, Lee Sungmin. Be nice. 

He turns around to an obnoxious smirk he prayed he'd never see again.

“Here’s your order sir two boxes of chicken. Now that would be—“

“I want my chicken to be delivered to my office.” 

Sungmin nears his boiling point. “You!!!“

“I clearly remember seeing ‘Deliver anywhere, anytime!’ at your flyer.” Kyuhyun smirks again whole heartedly of piss him off.

“See you up stairs.”

Sungmin asks again why his fate met catastrophe.

 

규민

 

“Can I have the payment now? I have more things to do.”

“Why are you such in a hurry? Sit.” Kyuhyun offers the empty couch beside him.

“Besides I have paid for all the possible orders you could get this day, even triple. So you can stop lying now.”

Sungmin feels the embarrassment from lying about his identity when they met the first time after years. But his irritation overlapped that embarrassment like it always did.

"How have you been?"

"Fine." 

"Fine?" Kyuhyun laughs mocking his answer.

"I leave for the States then the next I come back you're... This!" 

"This? What's wrong with THIS?" Sungmin emphasizes.

"You're a delivery boy Sungmin and you ask me what's wrong with it." 

"You ing ." He chooses to murmur instead of shouting it out loud and loosing himself to kick the brat's face.

"So tell me… what happened Lee Sungmin?" 

He failed to answer. So Kyuhyun gave him list possible answers.

"Did you go bankrupt? Possibly your family couldn't take the pressure?"

"Or maybe did your IQ drop and your family needed to pay for all the subjects you have to repeat?"

"Were you addicted to drugs?! And you stole from your family to pay for it?!"

Kyuhyun was busy giving exaggerated expressions and giving more insults that he didn't see the tears forming in Sungmin's eyes.

But it shouldn't hurt Sungmin. The two exchanged much more harsh words to each other back in the days and usually, it would only heat his ears and make his temper rise. However it was in the past and things have changed. Recently, he just discovered that he was sensitive and he was weak. Something he never knew he could be.

"What happened, Sungmin?" 

His arch enemy looks at him with derisive eyes.

"My dad died. That happened. My life turned upside. That happened. I couldn't even finish my ing college degree. That happened. And now I have too much suffering in my life after everything that has happened!" Sungmin finally burst into tears. He showed his weak self and pitiful state for the first time and it's in front of Kyuhyun. The man he detest since the first time he met him.

"And you know what else happened? I grew up. At least now I became someone who actually does something for a living. Unlike you, what the hell do you know? You're probably a worthless piece of crap depending on your parents. Shame on you!" Sungmin says harshly and walked out. 

Then only silence filled the room. Awful, deafening silence. Kyuhyun could only sit in an empty office, having mixed emotions.

"Aish!" He hissed and grabbed the telephone.

“Ready my car. Now.” He says briefly and leaves.

He has some swallowing of pride to do. 


OUR LEADER IS BAAAAACCCKKKK! <3

7JIB are you ready??!!! :D