Happy?

One sided love

Lee Jieun's pov

After the wedding ceremony, it was time to party. Neither of us were in the mood, but we had to begin the first dance under everyone's watchful eyes. It was obviously awkward between us as one of us loved the other, and the other hated the one. It was bittersweet, really. 

I for one was excited to have the chance to dance with him. It had been my dream for years, to get married to him, to have the first dance together and dance under the stars, holding each other close.

The only thing dampening my mood was the daggers I could feel someone sending at the back of my head, but I just leaned closer to him, trying to enjoy every last second of this moment I was never going to have again.

Everyone was paying attention to us. It was our time in the spotlight, the time for me to enjoy the moment as it is and be as happy as I could under all circumstances. 

I could feel the blush on my cheeks as I imagined the sight of us dancing together, one of his hand around my waist. I closed my eyes, hearing Myungsoo's heartbeat beating steady in his chest unlike mine. The embarrassment and the heat of the weather were starting to get to me, making me feel a bit hot.

Sadly, the dance ended as soon as it started and we parted away like in Cinderella when the clock hit twelve. No, in reality the prince Charming just calmly left me standing there in the middle of the dance floor. People stared at me in wonder, some showed pitiful faces and others just were dumbfounded when he dragged out another girl, Suzy, to dance with him.

Even in public, even in our wedding, they showed their closeness that was so different with me. The intimicity they had, was something I craved to have. I decided to walk away slowly, smiling to others and assuring our guests everything was okay and under control. Except, nothing was.

Inside of me, there was a strong battle between options, a battle between love and common sense. Should I stay with Myungsoo? Or should I just leave and end the suffering? I would be sad by the fact I would leave him, and I would also feel the nearing D-day of my life stronger. I didn't have any idea how long I could live anymore, how long would I actually be able to stand beside him before I had to go eternally.

Our small party ended soon, when I convinced our parents that I was extremely tired and that was why Myungsoo opted to dance with someone else. I told them that he had some kind of dance fever going on, and he just wanted to dance and dance. And since the slow songs kept coming, he needed a partner.

My mother knew the truth, but everyone else, with the exception of my lie detector father, believed me. I must've looked so tired that it convinced Myungsoo's parents, but that tiredness was just sadness and longing for someone I wanted and needed, but couldn't ever get.

"Let me take you to your new home," Myungsoo's mother, my new mother-in-law suggested. I nodded politely and waited my husband in a car that my father-in-law guided me in.

"Myungsoo will be here soon," he said and was about to leave, but suddenly he turned around to face me. "Are you really happy now? Even after what happened at the dance floor?" he asked and I lowered my gaze to my fingers that were plucking my dress' hem.

"Yes... I think I am," I answered to him. I tend to be a really bad liar, but I didn't mind in this case. I appreciated my father-in-law's concern for me.

"You think? But you're not sure?" he asked and I remained silent, not knowing what to say. He sighed and soon I felt hands on the side of my face. He landed a quick peck on my forehead so full of love, that it felt like I'd really be his daughter, not just a daughter-in-law.

I smiled sadly towards him and he ruffled my hair carefully, not messing it completely like others would. "Take care kiddo. You can always call to me!" he reminded and left just when Myungsoo came outside with a frown on his handsome face.

He glared at me and sat next to me reluctantly while his mother went in the front seat. I knew his actions were all for the show, not to worry his mother over something like this. We were a bit similar in that aspect, weren't we?

"Is the newly wed couple ready?" mother-in-law asked excitedly from us.

"Yes!" I answered as cheerfully as I could at the moment, placing a smile on my face. She seemed to be extremely delighted by my worthless effort. The travel to our new house wasn't long, but it was awfully silent. I pretended to fall asleep halfway, so we wouldn't need to talk. So I didn't have to lie to her or anyone.

"We're here! Wake her up!" I heard Myungsoo's mother order and I had to fight against the smile that threatened to come, when I felt their stares on my sleeping face. I felt someone poking my cheek with a finger and I already knew it was my husband.

"Ah, that kid... Kiss your wife, you idiot. Aren't you romantic at all?" She asked in disappointment.

At that time, the car stopped and I pretended to almost fall forward, and therefore woke up naturally, saving Myungsoo from the situation he didn't want to be in. I would have liked that kiss, but he'd just hate me more. It would be so wrong when he still had Suzy.

Mother-in-law left us to research the house, but I was the only one that entered it right away. Myungsoo left outside and called someone, so I decided to let him have his phone call in peace. In the meanwhile, I studied the small yet elegant house of ours.

And I felt a rush of happiness taking over. I got married with the man I loved and this was our own house now. A house, that we should have shared for a long time, but for us it wasn't neither peaceful or even that long. Just... couple months. For him, it's nothing, just a bump in his life. But for me, this was everything

I checked the rooms and saw one big bedroom that was probably meant for both of us. I knew that he wouldn't share it with me, so I voluntarily decided to take the small guest room beside that bedroom. I heard Myungsoo coming in, so I stopped unpacking and rushed to welcome him like a real wife would. Like the wife I wanted to be for him.

But he was not alone, I saw Suzy trailing in after him. They held hands with wide smiles spread on their youthful and happy faces.

I just bowed to them politely without words, not even knowing why. Suzy gave me a small glare, but I avoided eye contact with both of them. They passed by me and entered the living room hurriedly, but I managed to catch Myungsoo's rumbling stomach and I smiled gently to his furthering back.

I entered our brand new kitchen and took out a brand new and extremely sharp knife after admiring everything and studying every crook and corner. I cut some vegetables and fruits to small pieces, making them easy to eat with just hands. I also did something they could dip the vegetables in.

Still humming, I placed them all on the tray prettily and went to give the happily laughing couple something to eat. They started eating without complaints, even though they didn't even spare me a glance or any form of thanking. At least I could do something for him, my husband.

And I was happy for that one and simple reason.

 

 

A/N: Wow! Seems like the wedding chapter was a hit! O.o I got, like, ten comments for that chapter only. Wow, I really wasn't expecting that, thank you so much! I'm just so, so touched! It means my effort wasn't wasted, and that people are actually reading this story and enjoying in. Or suffering with our protagonist...?