First Encounters

And I'm A Storyteller

 

____________________

 

Hi, my name is Jung Daehyun. I'm a storyteller.

I've always believed that one should never pass an opportunity to tell a good story. . .

 

The stories that I'm about to tell are my stories.

From my mind and (or) my memories.

I'm telling you my stories because. . .

I finally had a chance (                 ), and I took it.

 

____________________

 

First Encounters

       First encounters, if you think about it, are not all that special. It happens everyday, all day round. For example: When I take a ride at the subway, I see about hundreds, if not thousands, of unfamiliar faces coming from all directions. Even now, as I tell you my story, there are about twenty people (or so) that I've never come across with in my life.

So what is my point exactly?

       First encounters, if you think about it, is an occurring instance, all too common to all of mankind. Well, I see that a lot of you here are expecting me to say that 'First encounters can be a magical thing.', and I'm sorry to not disappoint you because I'm heading to something like that.

   First encounters -- lasting first encounters, can make or break everything. Did you know that first impressions only take about a quarter of a second to make, and about two to three seconds to confirm? First impressions can never be changed, but the next encounters could change an impression entirely. 

In the thousands of faces you see everyday, there are only a few that catch your attention -- enough to make an impression.

So my point exactly, is... 

The story I'm about to tell you is about one lasting first encounter, one the made me and broke me -- for good.

 

____________________

 

     Winter has never been my favorite season, coming from the city of the sun, winter is just all too foreign for the likes of this one. I just hate that icy cold feeling that creeps in my skin and manages to get permanently engraved on my bones. Not to mention that this season comes not only with people who are equally cold and disagreeable, but also people who are oppositely too 'hot' that they always find a way to cling with a person who share their 'heat' and use it together (If you know what I mean).

     Winter is also my least favorite season because of my clientele. Imagine the grimmest people coming all together during the darkest season of all. Some are too difficult, making too many demands. Some are too lonely, only ever making stories about the world's loneliness. Some are too tragic, making stories of endless hopelessness. Some are too angry, making too many spiteful comments. But honestly, altogether...too unbearable. It doesn't really help that I, myself, hate this season well enough to want to jump off a cliff, die, and be winter's ghost (Jack Frost? Right?) just to make other people's lives miserable.

    Winter for me has always been predictable and yet on the first snow storm of this year's winter, my life apparently would change for good.

 

 

I peaked out my office window and saw nothing but snow. It was a personal hellish nightmare I dare say. But I knew of the coming storm, of course, and I chose to go to work anyway so there's really no one to blame but myself.  There came three distant beeping sounds, that could only mean that the microwave has already heated up my favorite winter dish: Instant ramen. I mean what better way is there for a single person to warm himself up comfortably other than the sodium-y goodness of a ramen cup?

As I was about to open the microwave, there came another sound -- a loud and brash noise. It could possibly be the worst sound you could hear when you're about to get ready for your meal. It was an unrhythmical, preposterous, and vulgar banging coming from the other side of my office door.

I honestly thought that in a cold winter's snow storm, there wouldn't be one person who would come to this office for services. But apparently again, I'm wrong. I walk away from the microwave and on to my door but I stopped myself to think for a moment. What if the person on the other side is a crazy, delirious, and dangerous person? That couldn't be good for me because it would take days before the police would ever check my area because of this damn storm. Why did I go to work again? Right, to escape the four corners of my apartment -- but I'm starting to regret that now. I toughened myself as I approached the door which by the way, still has that hideous vulgar 'knocking' sound coming from the other side. The very moment the lock unhinged and the knob turned, this said person comes bursting through my door without stopping, pacing around the room in circles while totally ignoring my presence.

Point one, crazy? Yes.

"Excuse me sir, can I bother your pacing to ask you what do you need from here?" I asked boldly (but with caution)

"You." He said with such an alarming tone. "Shut. Up. You're disturbing the state of creation." His finger pointed at my direction without even looking up, still pacing around my office.

Point two, delirious? Ask his state of creation.

By this time now I really, really dislike winter. No. I hate winter. I'd kill myself right now but first I need to taste that ramen again (and throw this guy out). I steadied myself and went to the corner to grab my bat, it was better to be safe than to be sorry. As I walked to his direction slowly he looked up at me abruptly with his blood-shut eyes, his voice becoming more eerily dead-pan as he took one step to my direction.

"If you dare lift that bat off of the floor, I swear I will stab you, take your guts out piece by piece, and spread it around my Christmas tree."

Point three, dangerous? I see my innards hanging on his bloody Christmas tree. One scarring mental image.

. Did I mention I'm totally scared? I didn't even dare take another step as I got frozen on the spot. I guess I would die now. Either or...I'm done for. I really should be careful with what I wish for.

His pacing carried on and I can only follow with my eyes. He would mutter and mumble and sit and stand and walk around tirelessly. I observed him then, maybe I could get some data about him sent out for possible criminals on the loose. Because as everybody would agree, there is no way that this person is sane.

As I observed him more, this guy actually doesn't even look like a criminal. If you keep his serial killer mode at bay, he looks just like any kid who's fresh off of college. Hair dyed to a slight red, wearing some black and white striped sweater under that beige wool coat with jeans and snow shoes to match it. He can be any other guy in the subway. But now he poses as a threat to my life so the guy next door image is not something I could freely claim. I can't just look at him with such light eyes. Besides, I'm sure most people have seen child criminals on T.V., I wouldn't want to be their victim.

I honestly am fried, I don't really know what to do at this point. If I turn around and dart for the door, he can attack me from behind and stab me, and make his bloody tree. If I attack him, he could still stab me, and make his bloody tree. If I back away slowly he would spot me and stab me, and make his bloody tree. Right now there was no way out for me but to become a bloody Christmas tree. I wanted to shout or call 119 but that means I accept my ill fate. I was trying to make about fifteen possible scenarios and about equally the same number of ways to escape my fate. I was carefully calculating each move that I have to make that would get me to safety. What I didn't take in to consideration though, is that he has apparently stopped pacing now. And to add insult to that, he is standing a hair's length in front of me. Thank. You. Over. Thinking. Thank. You. Very. Much.

He was breathing on to me, staring at my eyes and directly to the pits of my soul. I could really see his blood-shut eyes clearly. I'm dead. I'm done for. I just hope my innards make a good tree. He grabbed my shirt's collar and pushed me down the wall, and all I could do was close my eyes and open them in the next life. As I opened my eyes, he simply stood there looking somewhat more human than when he entered and asked me one thing. One. Thing.

"You, Jung Daehyun. I have a project and I really need your services." He spoke so mightily and I was left to gape at the turn out of events. I felt my heart drumming out of my chest and I was washed pale and cold by the relief of tension that was lifted upon me. Finally, I can just say no to this guy and turn him away. I don't think I would ever want to be involved with such a nut job, no thank you. But as I got up to stand, upon my very eyes this boy turned whiter than snow and with a loud thud his body crashed to the ground. 

"What. The. ?" Finally, I've said the three words that I've been meaning to say.

Pause.

____________________

 

There are kinds of first impressions that are never left well. Not even one bit. Like when you see some stranger on a party wearing the same thing as you, or when you encounter some loud drunkard at the bar who's causing quite a scene. Those unfortunate people never leave good first impressions. This person, as I've mentioned in my story, didn't give out a pleasant first impression. But still, even after all that, he ended up becoming my client.

Well, I never wanted to take him on after that scary episode. But when he fainted I had to take care of him (I had no choice. The roads were blocked because of the heavy snow) and I waited 'till he woke before I was to, supposedly, turn down his offer. I was on guard the whole time but my impression of him slowly changed the second he woke up. He remained calm even as he was momentarily confused as to what he was doing in my office. I told him what happened the other night and he was in shock and disbelief. He apologized greatly for his crazy deliriousness, reasoning that he's been on two -- almost three -- sleepless nights with an accompaniment of his friend called 'Red Bull'. I understood that and I forgave him, of course. I listened all the more to him and he explained why he has inquired for my story services. He was very different from what I first took him for. And I must say at that moment I was quite charmed. I asked him questions and he asked me his, and what caught me is how he talked and answered with such sincerity, passion and color, suddenly taking away some dullness to the gray winter sky. 

I saw him more often during that cold season and we ended up being good friends. 

I should introduce my story folder number 124, his name is Yoo Youngjae.

____________________

 

To you,

I hope you're reading this.

-D

 

_____________________ __

 

A/N: Will write an A/N after the concert. 

But really, it's is a miracle that I'm updating in a day.

After the concert A/N: Billy Joel is such a cuddly looking man. Hahaha just like a teddy bear. He really deserves every sold out concert at Madison Square. Any who. . .

One fic advise: Read carefully and try to dissect patterns. Although don't think too much because it may all be in your head. 

Some explanations and descriptions: Daehyun is the narrator and the person in view. The first parts are from him speaking as a storyteller, and the rest is just his personal point of view at that current event in the story. The last parts are just his narrations again. You guys probably got that already but just incase, i'm putting that out there. And for those people who're looking for more Jae action, don't worry, he would have more parts in the next ones. Like Daehyun said, these are just highlights of the story so please expect a lot of 'what the hell happened in between? Although fic formatting wise, this is the most particular I have ever been. And also please bear with this in your face sorta sarcastic writing style. I'm trying it out and it's quite fun for now.

Always drop a message when you can! I really appreciate it!

<3 Dani

( Ask me if you're getting a bit confused. Read cautiously<3 )