CHAPTER 1

The Crackwood Disappearances

Checking the clock on the dashboard for the millionth time that day, Sehun tightened his grip on the wheel. He'd been driving for days now to this godforsaken location, and for what? A seven year-old story that was probably nothing particularly special.

Still, it was only a few days out of his way. It wasn't like Sehun had anything else to do. Besides, he wanted to take a break from living on the road for a while. And luckily for him, his destination had to do with something he was very much interested in.

Sehun checked into the rather battered-looking cheap motel, not far from the town itself. Already, he could tell this place's reputation was not a good indication of what awaited him in the town; the hotel parking lot was almost completely bare and Sehun didn't run into anyone, not even staff, on his way up to his room.

He dropped his single duffel in one corner of the nondescript room and rummaged through it until he tugged out the second most precious object he had – his laptop. He booted it up and pulled up his newest case file: "The Crackwood Disappearances."

Sehun had compiled every nugget of information on this town that was available online, back when he had non-ty hotel wi-fi. He flicked through all the relevant articles he'd accumulated, reviewing the various news and police reports.

"Four missing persons," he read the headline aloud without really meaning to. "No suspects. And, to this date," Sehun's eyes flicked up to reread the date – July of 2006 – "Unsolved."

That was the way he liked them.


The car had never caused a great deal of problems before – well, that's what Sehun told himself. It wasn't like he had any funds for patch jobs, not when he had enough trouble living on the road and eating every night.

So, the next morning, when the engine started whining and the whole thing began shuddering precariously before Sehun had even gotten into town, he was not surprised. He pulled over to the roadside as best as he could, getting out to check under the hood. Flipping the hood open, Sehun was greeted by a rush of foul-smelling steam.

"Great," he growled, beyond frustrated. Sehun didn't often let his irritation get the better of him, but this was honestly the last thing he needed. Furious, he kicked the side of the vehicle and immediately wished he hadn't.

He was too busy swearing and trying to ignore the fresh pain shooting up from his foot to realize that another car had slowed and stopped only a few meters away. It was only when he heard the slam of a car door that he noticed the cop – , a cop – coming toward him.

"Car trouble?" he called.

"Looks like," Sehun replied, desperately trying to force his grimace of pain into a smile. "Was on my way into town and it just..."

"Let me take a look."

The officer examined the mess beneath the hood for a few minutes.

"Looks like you're overheated," he explained. "I take it you've been driving for a while?"

"Couple days, on and off." Sehun tried to keep himself from visibly limping as he went to study the engine as well. "Didn't think this would happen, though. Should I just let it sit?"

"For now, that's about all you can do. But you're going to want to take this to a shop as soon as you can."

"Thanks, Officer, uh..." Sehun peered at the nametag. "...Kai."

"It's no trouble. And you'd be..."

"Sehun. Uh, Oh Sehun." They shook hands.

"So, you just passing through, Sehun, or...?"

"Well, I'm looking into an old case. That kind of thing interests me."

"So, what, you're some kind of a reporter?" The cop sounded less than impressed.

"Freelance, yeah. Mysteries, unsolved cases, you know." Sehun could tell that Kai didn't think much of his enthusiasm, but he didn't care. People rarely asked him about his business and he didn't get very many opportunities to share. "The Max Headroom Intrusion Incident, the Monster with the 21 Faces – I'm all over it."

"You ever solved any?" Kai asked in a tone that suggested he was expecting a sheepish "no."

"Nothing as big as, you know, the Monster with the 21 Faces," Sehun conceded. "But I've done some local stuff, cases that aren't as big-name. Those are the ones people overlook the most."

"I see." Kai made a show of checking his watch. "Look, I should probably get going. Just let your car chill here for a few minutes and you should be fine for now. I'd still get it checked out though, if you have the..." Sehun knew he wanted to say "money," but Kai caught himself. "...time."

"Thanks."

As the cop turned to head back to his car, something occurred to Sehun.

"Hey!" he called.

There was considerably more annoyance on Kai face as he turned to face Sehun one last time.

"What?"

"You know anything about the Crackwood Disappearances?"

The police officer's expression changed from irritation to something Sehun couldn't read.

"Yeah." He nodded slowly. "I worked that case."

Sehun couldn't summon an appropriate response to that, so he stayed silent as Officer Kai returned to his car. He'd obviously just brought up a sensitive topic.

"," Sehun swore under his breath. He hadn't even begun investigating properly yet and he'd already found a way to piss off the locals. Hopefully the officer wouldn't hate his guts too much, because Sehun planned on looking much deeper into this case. And that would be incredibly difficult if the officer who led the primary investigation had decided to heartily dislike him.

Unfortunately, there was very little Sehun could do about it now. He returned to his car and, after another few minutes of staring angrily at the dashboard and bitterly wishing he'd kept his mouth shut, resumed the drive into town.

Regardless of whether or not Kai had chosen to take an immediate dislike of him, Sehun would have to talk to him sooner or later. All the same, he purposefully avoided the police station as he passed, choosing instead to park in an empty lot across the street. With nothing else to do, he simply sat in the car waiting as the town went about its business. Eventually he saw Officer Kai pulling into the police station parking lot, meaning Sehun had run out of excuses to keep stalling the inevitable uncomfortable conversation.

Sehun finally got out of the car, crossed the street to the police station, and, gut tightening with apprehension, entered.