Not Hankyung So Who?

Not Hankyung So Who?

During the school break, Hankyung seemed to have disappeared, but Kangin later found out that he actually was in China on vacation. Because of that, Kangin felt bored during the school break, since he and Hankyung always fought and competed in and outside of school.

Kangin was a gangster, Hankyung was a rebel. Kangin wanted Hankyung to be a part of his gang, because he had seen how Hankyung fought, how Hankyung stood by himself no matter who he was against, and how Hankyung was actually smart, but refused to show off his knowledge by purposely failing some of his tests without dumping any classes.

But Hankyung was a true rebel. He would rebel against anyone, including Kangin. He preferred to be alone and to do what he pleased. When somebody told him what to do something and he didn’t like it, he would rebel. This was why he and Kangin started fighting; Kangin kept on trying to convince him to join the gang, and Hankyung would reply him with a punch or something that would humiliate Kangin in public. Kangin would avenge himself, and then Hankyung would take revenge. So their fight had started and never ended.

When school started, Hankyung was still missing. Kangin was getting more bored, because no one could oppose him like Hankyung could. Sure, he had strong enemies from other schools and gangs, but what he had with Hankyung didn’t involve any guns or knives. It wasn’t that deathly or serious , it only involved the two of them. They didn’t bring anyone else into their fight and petty games of revenge.

While Hankyung was gone, Kangin began to plan different ways for revenge because it was his turn. When Hankyung finally appeared and attended school, Kangin was ecstatic to put his plans into action, but his plans didn’t go well: Hankyung had become a different person.

Hankyung used to be blonde, his body used to decorated all over with tattoos and accessories. But now, Hankyung had black hair and there was no decors on his body. Actually, he looked very normal compared to his usual rebel look. He even looked a bit nerdy, as he now wore glasses after coming back to school.

The way Hankyung acted was also different. Every time he was humiliated by Kangin in public, he never got mad. Like when a bucket of chalk powder fell down on him when he entered the classroom. Or how things inside of his bag were scattered all over the floor, with a magazine and placed among them, which made people think Hankyung was a ert. Not once had Hankyung accused Kangin or went after him for revenge. If Kangin hadn’t known better, it was like he didn’t exist to Hankyung.

Kangin always made sure that Hankyung knew that everything was Kangin’s doing, yet Hankyung remained passive. Hankyung first started to acknowledge of him when he saved Hankyung from some other gangs that were trying to beat up Hankyung badly.

“Thanks for saving me. Are you okay?” Those words surprised Kangin. Never in his life had he imagined Hankyung thanking him. He had expected Hankyung to say something like, “Don’t think I’ll thank you. I didn’t need your help. I could have handled it on my own.”

“You’re welcome. I’m fine.” Kangin found himself saying. “But I think I should be the one asking that question, you don’t look alright.” He looked at the bruises starting to form on Hankyung’s skin, at Hankyung’s torn-up clothes and at the deep scratches that shed some blood. “Why didn’t you fight back?”

“Because I don’t know how to fight?”

Kangin stared at Hankyung as if he had grown another head. “Who are you, really? You are not the Hankyung I know!!!”

Hankyung’s eyes widened at Kangin’s outburst. “But I am Hankyung.”

“You’ve changed. A lot of people can attest that!!! Either you are not Hankyung, or you’re Hankyung with amnesia!!! Do you even know who I am?!?!”

“You’re Kangin.”

“Do you know that I did all those stuff to you?!?!”

“You mean those silly pranks? Of course, I do.”

“Then why aren’t you trying to get some revenge?!?!?!”

“Because I just want some peace and quiet.” Hankyung tried to smile, but he ended up wincing due to his hurting cheek that didn’t allow him to smile.

Kangin gave out a frustrated sigh. “Let’s get those wounds cleaned up.” He brought Hankyung to his house, where he took out his first aid kit and started treating Hankyung’s wounds.

“You seem good at this. Almost like a nurse.” Hankyung chuckled before wincing again at the stinging sensation of the medicine in his wounds.

Kangin had never imagined Hankyung to be friendly with him. They were always fighting, exchanging threats and cussing at each other. He looked at Hankyung’s half- body. There were no signs of tattoos. He knew that most of Hankyung’s tattoos were henna and temporary, but he also knew that Hankyung had at least one permanent tattoo on his back.

“Who are you, really?” Kangin asked again.

“I’m Hankyung.” Hankyung said the same answer.

“Hankyung and I may not be close friends, but we are close enemies. I know him very well, so I know that you are not him.” Kangin said seriously. “Who are you and what happened to the real Hankyung?”

“Think whatever you want, but I’m Hankyung.”

“Bull!!!” Kangin slammed his fist against the wall, next to Hankyung’s head. He looked straight into the eyes of person, whom he was sure wasn’t Hankyung. “One day, I will find out who you really are.”

“It’s rather late. Where are your parents?” Hankyung changed the topic.

“If you really were Hankyung, then you wouldn’t need to ask that question.”

Hankyung remained silent for a short while. “Well, then. I’ll make dinner for the both of us. It’s the least I could do to thank you for saving me from the gang and treating my wounds.”

“Hankyung doesn’t know how to cook. You’re getting more obvious by the second, you know.”

Hankyung ignored Kangin as he proceeded to the kitchen. He took out the different ingredients and began making dinner. Kangin took a seat somewhere in the kitchen, which gave him a full view of Hankyung. He observed as Hankyung expertly chopped the vegetables. “Why won’t you just give up and tell me who you are?” Kangin started the conversation again.

“Because I’m Hankyung.” He said and started humming an unfamiliar song while cooking the food. “While waiting for dinner, why don’t you make your homework?”

“Don’t try to act like my mom.” Kangin said in disgust. It didn’t help that Hankyung was wearing his mother’s apron either. “And if you’re Hankyung, you would already know that I never make my assignments.”

“Oh, right. You’re being so nice to me today, I almost forgot that you’re actually a bully that forces someone into writing the assignments for you.” Hankyung stated it all in a gentle manner. The way Hankyung talked was certainly not the way the real Hankyung talked. “But bullying is bad, you know. You should stop doing that. I actually like you being a nice guy, and I’m sure others would like you too.”

“Don’t talk as if you aren’t a bad guy yourself. You’re a rebel, you do bad stuff too, like not listening to your elders.”

“But I haven’t been a rebel for a while. I’m sure you’ve seen that.”

“That’s because you’re not the real Hankyung!!!”

Throughout the whole dinner Hankyung would try to talk about different topics, but Kangin always seemed to find a way to point out that he wasn’t the real Hankyung until it was finally time for Hankyung to leave.

“It’s rather late. Maybe I should walk you home.”

“Really? You’re a sweet guy after all!!!”

Kangin blushed. “What the heck?!?! I’m not!!! I just offered it because there are a lot of gangsters late at night and you don’t know how to fight like the real Hankyung does!!!” He hated that Hankyung just some more because he was blushing like a high school girl. Damn!!!

Hankyung didn’t decline Kangin’s offer, so Kangin was able to observe that Hankyung really went home to the real Hankyung’s house. He was able to get inside the house for a short while, where he got thanked by Hankyung’s father, for bringing his son home safely.

“Do you believe that I’m Hankyung now?” Hankyung asked.

“Yeah.” Kangin admitted in defeat. “After all, I don’t think anyone could fool someone else’s parents.” But Kangin was still curious on one more thing. “What made you change?”

“It’s late. You should go back home.” Hankyung lead Kangin towards the front door, which Kangin let him. It had been a long day, and he didn’t want to argue anymore. He just knew that Hankyung was hiding something, and deep down inside he still felt that Hankyung wasn’t the real one.

Instead of the usual revenge game, a new game started. It involved Kangin trying to figure out who Hankyung really was, while Hankyung kept on insisting that he was Hankyung. But even the game began to fade away, as Kangin and Hankyung started to talk more about other stuff and got more comfortable with each other, becoming close friends to everyone’s surprise.

Then the real Hankyung arrived in front of Kangin’s house. As soon as Kangin opened the door, he received a punch on the face. This was truly the real Hankyung. The one with blonde hair, tattoos and accessories. “What the heck!??!?!” Kangin asked and stared at Hankyung in disbelief.

“I would really like my punches to equal the number of times you dated with different girls, but I don’t want Hangeng to hate me.”

“What the heck are you talking about?!?!”

“I’m saying that my brother likes you, DUMMY!!!”

“Your brother…?” Then it all made sense to Kangin. How the fake Hankyung looked like the real Hankyung, but still was completely different. “How could you let your brother go to school in your place, making everyone believe that he is you, that you actually changed into someone totally different!!!!!!!”

“Wait… Hangeng didn’t tell you about the situation?”

“No.”

“.” Hankyung kicked the door’s frame. “He said you guys had gotten close and started sharing secrets, so I thought he had already told you.”

“Yes, we share secrets. But apparently there’s a secret that he didn’t share with me.” Kangin said angrily. “He completely fooled me. That bastard.”

“No, no… before you do anything rash, have a talk with Hangeng and listen to him.”

The next day, Kangin avoided Hankyung… or should he say Hangeng, who he now knew was Hankyung’s twin brother. He avoided him, because he couldn’t keep his cool. He felt so angry that if he talked to Hangeng, he might lash out all of his anger and not be able to listen to whatever Hangeng needed to say.

The day after, Hangeng managed to corner Kangin. “We need to talk.”

“Yes, we do.” Kangin replied. They looked for the nearest empty classroom and went inside. “So talk.” Kangin said, as he folded his arms and leaned against the wall.

“First of all, I’m sorry that I lied. Hankyung and I were separated at birth. Hankyung stayed in Korea with our Korean father while I stayed in China with our Chinese mother. We met when Hankyung was on vacation in China. We found out about us being brothers and decided to change places, because we both wanted to know each other’s parents. I’ve always wanted to know what it felt like to have a father, and the same goes for Hankyung about having a mother. I was disappointed with our father. Now I know why he and mother broke up, and why my brother became such a rebel.

The first few days of being Hankyung were really hard for me. He seemed to have a lot of enemies, such as the students from this and other schools, even teachers and those scary gangsters. Even you. I also kept on getting scolded by father, because I always came home with new bruises and scars. He said I always got into fights.

It took a lot of effort to make my father believe that I was different from Hankyung, especially because I couldn’t tell him that I really wasn’t Hankyung. Father and I finally got in along though, and he started acting like a father and spent some quality time with his son. You saw how nice he was when you visited, right? He wasn’t like that at all when I first came, and I don’t even want to imagine what Hankyung had to go through with father’s past attitude.

Hankyung doesn’t have any friends, so I didn’t have any friends. No one wanted to be friends with me. You are the first friend that I made. You have no idea how happy I was when you kept on insisting that I’m not the real Hankyung and how you treated me differently from the real Hankyung.”

Then there was silence, which Kangin broke. “Why did you never tell me who you are?”

“Because you’re only interested in Hankyung. In the past, you were interested in fighting and competing with him. Now, you’re interested in figuring out whether I‘m the real Hankyung or not. It has always been a game between you and Hankyung, it has also been a game between us. I just thought that if I told you who I really am, then I would lose in the game and you wouldn’t be interested anymore. After all, I’m not the real Hankyung.”

“But I strongly believed that you weren’t Hankyung. It wouldn’t have made much difference between us, if you had just told me the truth.”

“Oh, really? Would you have continued to stay by my side if I had told you the truth? Would we have become close friends? Could you honestly give a straight and honest yes to these questions?”

“No.” Kangin pushed himself away from the wall and walked towards Hangeng. “If I had known the truth, I could have left you behind, knowing that you weren’t Hankyung after all. But why do you fear losing me?”

“Because you’re the first friend I made here in Korea.”

“Is that all?”

“What else is there?”

“What about the reason about Hankyung’s punch? I believe he was being a protective brother at that time. He said something about wanting his punch to equal the number of times I had dates with girls.”

Hangeng started to curse at his brother. Kangin was tempted to chuckle, since Hangeng wasn’t the type of person to curse. Or perhaps Hankyung was being a bad influence to his twin? “That was… nothing.” Hangeng explained lamely.

“Right.” Kangin reply wryly. “Answer my previous questions honestly, then I might forgive you and continue being your friend.”

Hangeng opened and closed his mouth a few times. He had a worried look on his face and pouted a bit. “At first, I like you as a friend. It’s your friendship that I didn’t want to lose, because I like being with you, along with the fact that you’re the only friend that I have here. Then I started liking you more than as a friend. I always talk to Hankyung about my feelings for you and how it hurts whenever I see you dating with other girls, so that’s why he punched you. I… love you.”

Silence once again, Hangeng hated it. He was anxious about what Kangin would say, but then Kangin started walking away from him and towards the door. Hangeng thought he was being rejected. “Can we still be friends?” Hangeng asked softly before Kangin reached the door.

Kangin stopped walking when he heard the question. He half-turned his body and smiled at Hangeng. “What are you doing, just standing there? Get your movin’. Class will start in a few minutes.”

Hangeng blinked before walking briskly to catch up with Kangin. He didn’t knew what Kangin thought about his feelings, but he was glad that Kangin still wanted to be friends. Hangeng blinked again to make sure he wasn’t seeing things. Since when did Kangin start holding his hand? It was just for a short while though, because the classroom was in a near distance.

Kangin walked Hangeng home like he always did. When he arrived at Hangeng’s house, it was weird actually seeing Hankyung and Hangeng together. It was even weirder to see Hankyung being affectionate towards Hangeng by ruffling his twin’s hair, asking how school was and if Kangin was being a mean bully, and that he would very much like to punch Kangin if he ever hurt his dear beloved twin brother

Then Hangeng left Hankyung and Kangin alone for a while, because he needed to change his clothes. “So, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be attending school in China in Hangeng’s place?” Kangin asked.

“It’s school break in China, I’m going back in a few days. For now, we’re having our family reunion here.” Hankyung explained. “It’s ironic how my close enemy became my brother’s close friend. Honestly, I appreciate what you did for Hangeng, but once the school year ends, Hangeng and I will be switching back to our original places, so expect a huge revenge comeback!!!”

Kangin smirked. “Don’t be so cocky. I have my own revenge plans to kick your sorry .”

“Why can’t you guys just play nice and be friends?” Hangeng asked when he came back to the living room, wearing his casual clothes.

“Where would be fun about that?” Hankyung asked before walking off to the kitchen, shouting; “Mom!!! Is dinner ready?!?! OMG!!! Stop making out with dad and start cooking dinner!!!”

“Looks like your parents are getting along. Perhaps they’ll get married again.” Kangin said.

“By the end of this school year, they are planning to get back together and settle down the whole family in China. It’s a good thing, because Hankyung has come to love China. As for dad, he could easily be assigned a job in China, since he’s so good at it.”

“What about you?”

“I’d be happy to go back to China. I really miss my friends.”

“What about me?”

“I don’t think you would fit in our luggage on the way to China.” Hangeng joked.

“Here I am considering trying out a relationship with you, but since you’ll be going back to China, maybe I should just continue dating girls.”

Hangeng’s jaw dropped in shock. “Are you serious?”

“Can’t you stay here in Korea?” Kangin asked softly, almost in a pleading manner, as his hand caressed Hangeng’s cheek. “I like you too. The main reason I was dating girls was because Hankyung and I steal each other’s dates as it is part of our game, but ever since you came, I continued to date girls to fight off these feelings for you because I thought it was weird having these strange feelings for a close friend.”

“YOU ARE NOT GOING TO KISS MY BROTHER!!! At least not in front of me anyway!!! Get yourselves a room!!!” Hankyung interrupted, when he saw how close Kangin and his brother’s faces were.

“Damn you, Hankyung!!!” Kangin took a pillow from the couch and threw it at Hankyung’s face before dragging Hangeng upstairs. Hankyung was running after them for revenge, but they were quick enough to enter inside Hangeng’s room and lock the door.

In a way, Hangeng was glad that Hankyung interrupted the serious conversation, because he didn’t have an answer to Kangin’s question. He love Kangin, but his love wasn’t deep enough. He wouldn’t be able to choose Kangin over his friends and family. Not right now, at least.

“Geng…”

It was the first time Hangeng heard Kangin calling him by his own name, not just his name, but actually a nickname. “What is it?” Hangeng asked.

“I asked too much from you, didn’t I? Sorry about that.” Kangin apologized and placed his hand once again on Hangeng’s cheek. “I won’t ask you to stay in Korea anymore. Just love me whether you’re in Korea or in China.”

“Always.” Hangeng managed to reply, before he was silenced with Kangin’s lips.

Only time will tell.

THE END

A/N: I honestly didn't know how to end this fic.  It took me a long time to end this ^_^;;; Comments please?