Chapter One

My Guilty Pleasure
 
Date:  1st July 2014
Chapter:  1
Notes:  Thank you for the 14 subbies <3 I hope you guys enjoy! 
Credit:  < a tori creation >
 

"John Green."

“No idea.”

“Sarah Dessen.”

“Nope.”

“Nicholas Sparks?”

“Oh, ew.”

“What?” I stared at my best friend, Jessica, in indignation. “I don’t think we can be friends anymore.”

“He’s the one that writes the stories where people always die, right?”

“Well-“ I sighed. “Sometimes, yeah. Not always.

“Well, I think they’re stupid, I’ve seen some of the movies and I hate them. It’s not cute or sweet, it’s plain depressing.” She rolled her eyes, pushing a lock of her light auburn hair behind her ear. “We’ve had this discussion like a hundred times already, Soo. I doubt I’ll change my mind about romance novels any time soon. And no, I don’t care how much you beg. I’m not going to read on of your gag-worthy novels. That’s final.”

“It just doesn’t make sense,” I huffed.

“It’s not just the romance novels I’m against. It’s anything cheesy. Those movies you like to watch are also pathetic.”

“They’re beautiful! They talk about love.

“Love is overrated.”

“You’re such a cynic.”

“Whatever.” Jessica blew on her coffee cup before taking a long sip. “I’m not having this argument with you. Again.

“Jessica, the day you fall in love you’ll understand what I mean. You’ll come running to me telling me how right I am.”

“Like you’ve ever been in love,” she scoffed, taking another sip. It had to be her third or fourth cup coffee already, and we’d only been in the coffee shop for about half an hour. I had always admired her ability to drink coffee at any hour and still be able to sleep. My single cup of coffee was probably going to cost me some good hours of sleep as it was.

“That’s because nobody I know is worth enough.”

“Soo, you can’t compare every guy you meet to fictional characters.”

“If guys were half as decent as they were in stories, everything would be different.”

Jessica’s eyes suddenly brightened as she stared behind me, toward the entrance of the coffee shop. Despite the fact that it was getting dark, a good number of the dark wooden tables were still occupied and a steady stream of people came in regularly for coffee to-go. “Speaking about guys… I see something pretty decent right there.”

I turned to see two guys walking into the shop. I recognized them immediately: Kris Wu and Xi Luhan. They were seniors at our school, and the only reason I recognized them was because Jessica had been infatuated with Kris for weeks now. “Still a little obsessed, I see?”

“He’s so hot.” Jessica was practically swooning. Her eyes were glued onto Kris. He looked up and waved at Jessica, and immediately it was as if somebody had flipped a switch – the normal Jessica was gone, replaced by a flirty, giggly version of her that drove guys crazy whenever she appeared. “Oh my gosh, I think they’re coming over here! Do you think he’ll want to talk to us?” She quickly ran her fingers through her hair.

I sighed. “Jess, you’ve heard what he’s like. Not to be mean, but if he comes over to talk to us it’s probably just because he wants to get in your pants.”

She rolled her eyes, giggling again as she and Kris made eye contact once more. The guys were up at the counter ordering, and Kris kept sneaking looks back to our table. “And you call me the cynic.”

“You know it’s true, though. That’s all guys around here ever seem to want- the reason as I’ve said, that I’ve never had a boyfriend.”

“You’re probably right,” Jessica shrugged. “Where you’re wrong, my friend, is the part where you think I want anything more. I know his intentions, and I’m pretty sure he knows mine.”

“What’s the point in that, then? Just a random hook up? One you’ll forget among all the others?”

“Exactly.” She smacked her lips after applying an extra coat of lip-gloss. “We’re in high school, Soo. We’re allowed to have fun and save the serious stuff for later. You should try it, sometime, instead of waiting for your Prince Charming. Now shut up, they’re coming over.”

I turned to see Kris and Luhan walking toward us, each with a cup in hand. I had to admit Jessica was completely correct in one thing, though- Kris was hot. Extremely so. His blonde hair was cropped short and neat, and his eyes always had a glint in them that made it look like he was up to something. His features were handsome, it was no wonder he was rumored to hook up with more girls than he could count.

“Hey there, girls. Mind if we take a seat here?”

Jessica turned up to him, and I swear I saw her bat her eyelashes. “Not at all, come on.” She patted the chair beside her, motioning for him to sit down.

It amazed me how Jessica could be so obvious when she flirted, yet she could still get away with it. I was sure that any other girl would look clingy and annoying, but Jessica managed to pull off looking calm and confident. Whatever it was she did, guys fell for it every time – and she knew it. While I’d never been on a date on my life, Jessica was often faces with the problem of having to choose between multiple guys that were asking her out on the same day, or of having to reject a guy for the fifth time when he didn’t get the fact that no, she didn’t want to go out with him.

“Thanks.” Kris grinned at her as he sat by her side. Luhan rounded the table, sitting beside me and opposite Kris. “What are you girls up to?”

“Not much.” Jessica shrugged. “Just relaxing, I guess.”

“That’s cool. Not going out tonight?”

Jessica shook her head as she drank. “Oh no, not tonight. I’m exhausted. What about you guys, are you partying?”

“Kris is. I’m not,” Luhan said, smiling. “I’m also taking the night off.”

“You guys should join me.” Kris said “ you guys,” but with the way he was staring at Jessica it was clear that he meant “you.”

Jessica tilted her head, as though considering it. “I don’t know, I’m not really feeling it tonight. Maybe we’ll have to save it for some other night.”

I resisted from laughing at the way Kris’ eyes lit up at the hint that there might be some “other night.” “That’s too bad, but definitely. Do I already have your phone number?”

I rolled my eyes at them, leaning back on my chair and nursing my coffee while I watched them shamelessly flirt with one another. Most of the conversation was held by Kris and Jessica, while my participation, as well, as Luhan’s was kept to a bare minimum.

Jessica suddenly pouted, looking down at her cup. “When did I finish my coffee? I thought I still had a bit left.”

I laughed. “What, your four cups haven’t been enough?”

“Soo. You should know this by now. There can never be enough coffee. I’ll just have to get another cup, then.”

Translation: Kris, we’re staying longer because I can see you want to hang out with me. You should probably consider buying me another cup if you want to have a shot with me.

I might as well have said it out loud. Almost immediately, Kris sprung up from his seat. “You want another cup? Here, I’ll buy it for you.”

“What? No, Kris, you can’t do that.” Jessica stood up too, putting a hand on Kris’ arm. “I can buy my own coffee.”

He grabbed the arm that was resting on her and pulled both her hands down in front him as though he was restraining her. “I know you can, but you won’t. I can do it, too.”

She rolled her eyes, feigning exasperation. “Kris, I’m serious.” The glint in her eyes proved that she wasn’t. “You’re not buying me coffee.”

He shrugged. “Yes, I am.” with that, he stalked toward the cashier, with Jessica trailing behind him flinging meaningless insults at him. I rolled my eyes, settling back into my chair and checking my phone. I still had an hour before I had to be home, but I didn’t want to stay much longer if this was what the rest of my night would like.

I heard a sigh beside me.” They have no shame, huh?”

I laughed at Luhan’s comment. “They might as well just hook up already and quit the act. It’s obvious both of them want to.”

“Oh, you try and tell that to Kris. He takes pride in how charming he is and how the ladies can’t resist him. What, are you crushing on him too?”

“Hell, no. Not in my wildest dreams.” I realized my mistake, and my hands flew up to cover my mouth. “Oh, crap, please don’t tell me I didn’t say that out loud.”

The fact that he was doubling over in laughter wasn’t very comforting.

I groaned. “Oh my God, this is embarrassing.” I had just insulted the guy’s best friend right to his face. “Please don’t tell him I said that.”

“Are you kidding? That’s exactly what Kris needs to hear. I think you’re the first girl that’s ever said that. I swear, the guy’s ego is larger than planet Earth itself.”

“I don’t care! You can’t tell him I practically just insulted him while he’s flirting with my best friend.”

“You did, though.” Luhan was smirking amusedly.

Please. If you don’t care about saving me from embarrassment, at least do it to save me from Jessica’s wrath. If she finds out I was practically insulting him in front of you, she’d annihilate me.”

“People are so right when they say girls are overdramatic.”

I huffed. “Just look at her. You don’t know how she gets when she’s angry – doesn’t she look scary?”

We both turned to look at Jessica and Kris. They were closely pressed together against the counter, presumably waiting for Jessica’s coffee, and I was pretty sure their hands were entwined. At the moment, Jessica was throwing her head back in laughter and pushing stray strands of hair out of her face. Kris immediately brought his free hand up to her face, helping her brush her hair back. I resisted the urge to scoff. Whatever Kris had said probably wasn’t even that funny, and I was willing to bet that if it wasn’t for the fact that there were so many people around, they would already be hooking up instead of going through the motions.

“She doesn’t look too terrifying from here.”

Catching my exasperated look, Luhan laughed and put his hands up in surrender. “All right, all right. I wont say anything.”

“Promise?”

“Well-“

“We’re back!” Jessica was practically bouncing as she slid back into her seat. “Kris is so stubborn, he wouldn’t let me buy the coffee,” she pouted as she took a sip of the drink.

“I told you what you can do to pay me back,” he winked.

If I wasn’t so scared at what Jessica could do, I would’ve laughed out loud at how suggestive that sounded. I caught Luhan smirking out of the corner of my eye, so I assumed he was thinking the same thing.

“Kris, I don’t know.”

“It’s settled then. Luhan, Jessica’s coming with us to Donghae’s party tomorrow.”

Jessica sighed. “Fine. I’ll make an appearance, I guess.”

Kris smiled victoriously. Donghae was another senior well known for the parties he threw constantly. He was the textbook definition of a kid whose parents felt bad for not being home most of the time, and therefore let him do whatever he wanted ninety-nine percent of the time. I’d been to a couple of his parties before – usually because I was helping Jessica on another one of her quests for a guy.

“Hey, Soo, you should come too,” Luhan suggested.

I didn’t mind the party, but I doubted the rest of our friends were going. Standing around with nobody to talk to while Jessica hooked up with Kris didn’t sound too appealing. “Thanks, but I think I’ll pass. I’ve been meaning to get some rest.”

Kris didn’t look like he minded at all, but a smile slowly crept onto Luhan’s face. “Hey, Kris, do you know what Soo was- “

“Oh my gosh!” I could feel my face burning. “What are you doing?” I hissed to him, only turning my head toward him slightly.

He widened his eyes innocently. “Are you coming to the party tomorrow?”

I gaped at him. “You wouldn’t.”

“As I was saying –“ he continued.

“No! Fine, fine, I’ll go.”

He smiled, and I turned toward Jessica and Kris, already trying to come up with an excuse to explain my conversation with Luhan without giving away what we were really talking about. Luckily, they were back to completely ignoring us, trapped in their own little world while Kris showed Jessica something on his phone.

“What the hell was that?”

He shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“Why do you want me to go to the party that bad?”

I immediately regretted my question. He probably felt bad for me and thought I was pathetic- and lets face it, I sort of was. My plan for tomorrow night had been to curl up in my room with a couple of new romance novels I had bought and maybe some hot chocolate.

“I don’t know. It’s Friday night and you two are just out for coffee. Your best friend is going to a party tomorrow and you’re staying in? You should get out.”

“I don’t mind not going party one week, you know. It’s not like I never go out or anything.” It was true. I didn’t go out as much as Jessica, for example, but I wasn’t a complete loser. I enjoyed a good party as much as anybody else.

He smirked. “Well, you already agreed to go to this one. I assume you’re going with Jessica, so I’ll see you there around eight?”

“I can’t believe I’m agreeing to this, but fine. I’m really not feeling it, though, so don’t be surprised if I head home after a while.” Not that we’ll even see each other that much, if at all, I added in my mind. It was a senior party; it was only logical that he’d spend time with all of his friends that were his age.

“You’re going to have fun, you’ll see. I can sense it.”

“And how would you know? I doubt any of my other friends are going, and I doubt you’ll have any trouble guessing where – or with whom- Jessica will be all night. It’s not like I have her to hang out with.”

He shrugged. “So you’ll meet people. Make friends. And don’t worry. I’ll make sure you’re entertained.”

“Doubtful. But all right. I guess we’ll see tomorrow.”

Luhan smirked confidently. “Guess so.”