chapter seven

The damaged

Melody of some creepy classic music (Mozart’s requiem probably) suddenly filled the room. I noticed with the corner of my eye how Jongin rolled his eyes before he slowly picked up the phone, his facial expressions implying that this disturbance annoyed him. “You’re early.” he barked. “You know Kris it would be great if you could remember what time you were supposed to show up for once in your life.” There was a snarky reply I couldn’t quite understand coming from the other side of the line and Jongin pursing his lips before hissing; “Fine. We’ll be out in five.” Then he carelessly threw the phone on the bed and about a second later - finally - pulled some random shirt out of his closet and got dressed. Thank god. I seriously thought my face would explode from all the embarrassment.

“Time to go, freak. We’ll talk about this later.” His head turned towards me, his lips curled into a mysterious and most certainly quite dangerous smirk. I did not like the sound of those words at all. Note to myself; I have to avoid being left alone with Jongin for at least next couple of days. It probably won’t work, but it was at least worth a shot.

I followed him out of the room, down the hallway, through some door, down the stairs and down another hallway, before we finally reached one of the side doors that led out of the mansion and onto some narrow road. Kris, Sehun and the boy I didn’t recognize were waiting for us in the shiny silver car that most definitely cost a little fortune.

“What happened with ‘We’ll be out in five’?” grunted Kris after he opened the doors on his side, his face expressing a big amount of annoyance. Jongin rolled his eyes in reply before gesturing me to climb in, next to Sehun that – as usually – seemed to be entirely bored and completely uninterested in his surroundings, but he nevertheless moved a little to the left in order to make some room for me.  

The last one to get in was Jongin who elegantly occupied the front seat. “By the way freak…” he said a moment after Kris started the car, his head turned towards me. “This is Baekhyun. And Baekhyun this is… hm… I actually have no idea what his name is. Something that starts on K I think. Or perhaps S? Well, it doesn’t really matter – you can just call him freak like the rest of us do.” At that, I couldn’t restrain myself from shooting an ugly stare in his direction – we both knew he was lying only with purpose to irritate me. Pretending not to know my name was in no way relevant to his plan. Or perhaps I was just getting a little bit too sensitive.

“Oh, I see.” murmured Baekhyun nonchalantly. “One of your new experiments I presume?” Experiments?      As more than one? More than just me? Well, needless to say that this fresh piece of information didn’t cause any new shock. Irritation and mild disgust yes, but shock? No, not anymore. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t feel an ounce of surprise if I’d learn Jongin had stabbed someone and then hid his body in the basement – I was so used to the fact that every time I was convinced that I had already discovered the evilest part of him, something even worse decided to reveal itself.

“Something like that.” murmured Jongin as he gave me one last glance before turning his head away.

We reached our destination after good ten minutes of Kris’s and Jongin’s bickering about something completely irrelevant, Baekhyun’s sharply formed comments and Sehun’s absent staring out of the window.

I was actually relived when we finally pulled up in some shady parking lot not far from the main street where the club was located. My nervousness was increasing with every second during the drive, suffocating atmosphere in the car making everything seem even worse than it actually was. I simply knew that the evening was about to end up horribly. There was no doubt. I was – after all - on my way to the club for the first time in my life, which wouldn’t be very tragically if I weren’t in the company of those sadistic bastards. They wanted to get me drunk, they wanted me to completely embarrass myself and if there was a person who could achieve all this, that person was certainly Jongin. I couldn’t do anything to avoid it now, so I just wanted to be over with. The sooner the better.

---

Perhaps I had been hoping that some kind of miracle would happen and we wouldn’t be allowed to enter the club, because I felt more than just a little disappointed when the bouncer let us in without giving us a second look. Well of course I was. This evening was most certainly going to be the highlight of this week and not in a good way.

We stepped into a dark hallway with weak blue fluorescent lights pointing towards another door at the far end. My ears were immediately filled with muffled sounds of techno music that was getting louder with every step. After we reached the door and walk through, the weak lights were suddenly replaced with still fluorescent but much brighter and stronger lights of all colors from blue to pink that were playing over the dance floor and over tables positioned next to the walls. The music was no longer muffled but very loud and fast. The whole scene seemed somehow unreal.

There was a huge crowd on the dance floor and most of the tables were occupied, but we nevertheless managed to find an empty one somewhere in the corner, not so far from where they served drinks.

My strongest thought after I seated myself down next to the Baekhyun guy was that I had to find some way to escape from this terrible situation. But there was none. Or at least; I wasn’t smart enough to discover it. Of course I could use the standard excuse and say that I had to go to the bathroom, but even if I somehow managed to go through with it – which I probably wouldn’t given the fact Jongin was staring at me as a hawk and with a very smug expression on his face that made me think he knew exactly what was on my mind – I would still need to get home and I unfortunately had no idea how to do that. I knew where in the city we currently were, but that wasn’t as useful as it should be, because I sadly wasn’t sure where to turn to get home. Not to mention it was getting late and I would have to walk. The mere thought of walking from Jongin’s house to my home in a complete dark was creping me out completely enough and there was absolutely no need to add a couple of extra miles of unknown territory to that.

No, it was too late. The only thing I could do now was to regret that I hadn’t tried my best to avoid this situation when there was still a – very small – chance of success and pray that this evening would end soon and without too many complications.

Jongin shouted something I couldn’t understand (the music was too loud) to Sehun. They both stood up and left the table so I figured they went to buy drinks – which was definitely not good news for me. It turned out I was right because they returned a couple of minutes later, Jongin immediately pushing a small glass full of some transparent liquid in front of me. I gave it a suspicious look, not having a slightest idea what it was, but since their main goal for the night was to get me drunk I figured it was probably something with high percentage of alcohol. I was having a strong feeling that it tasted horrible.

“Here is the thing freak.” Jongin leaned closer to me – closer than ever before, which was understandable because it was the only way I was actually able to hear his voice over the loud roaring of the music. “You drink everything I put in front of you without objection.”

I narrowed my eyes at him and mouthed; “sadistic bastard” in his direction, clearly implying just how much I didn’t agree with all of this. He just curled his lips upwards into an amused smirk, obviously letting me know that the whole situation highly entertained him before gesturing on the glass full of that suspicious transparent liquid, clearly ordering me to drink it. I sighed as I wrapped my fingers around the cool round surface and raised it towards my lips.

Whiskey or maybe vodka, I wasn’t entirely sure but whatever it was it burned like hell. I grimaced after I swallowed, getting one of Jongin’s most annoying smirks as a reply. I shot another deadly stare in his direction, just to make sure he knew exactly what I thought about all this and consequently also about him.

---

A couple of drinks later I started to feel the effects of the alcohol pumping through my veins. Lights seemed somehow brighter and music slower, the whole room was slightly spinning and the alcohol that was completely repulsive earlier suddenly tasted delicious. 

The sadistic bastards didn’t hang around that table for very long. They did however stay until my fifth or sixth glass, asking questions and laughing at my answers. I was too dazed back then to realize how big of a fool I managed to make out of myself, but since other drank huge amounts of alcohol too, there was luckily quite a good chance they wouldn’t remember anything in the morning.  I sadly did, although some things were pretty foggy and didn’t make any sense at all.  

However, they all soon disappeared, leaving me alone to peacefully observe the spinning room, people in it and pretty lights. For some odd reason I found all that very fascinating. Just as I found fascinating the thought of going on the dance floor - which just proved how damn drunk I was at that moment.

I eventually decided I would join in after I came back from the bathroom. It wasn’t very far away and I could actually see the sign from where I sat, but getting there still proved to be quite challenging. I fortunately managed to reach the hallway without any complications - well that is if I didn’t count that one time when I bump into some random woman, but she luckily didn’t seem to be too bothered. It should be easy after that, I only had to walk a couple of meters down the weakly lighted hallway and then enter the door on the left.

Yeah right. I was clumsy even without bizarrely high amount of alcohol in my veins, which pretty much meant I was signed in for a disaster the moment I drank my first glass. Until that unfortunate moment on the hallway, the evening was passing by quite peacefully and uneventfully. The fact that I hadn’t seen a tragedy coming my way just proved how big of an idiot I was.

I only managed to do a couple of steps towards the toilets when I already bumped into someone. Since that someone walked quite fast, the impact was so hard I lost my balance and would definitely fall if I didn’t manage to stumble back and then somehow lean on the wall beside me. I was so surprised that I didn’t properly comprehend what had happen until the stranger grabbed my collar and roughly slammed my head in the wall. The pain cleared my mind just enough that I figured out I was in serious trouble.

Man that got me pinned on the wall was clearly even drunker than me. I could smell the alcohol in his breath, mixed with the sweat from his body. He wasn’t particularly big or muscular, but he was obviously stronger than me, because I couldn’t shake his hands off of me even though I really tried. 

“Who do you think you are, huh?” his speech was a little slurred, but still completely understandable. “Bumping into people like this.” He leaned closer, his red face only a couple of inches away from my head.

“I haven’t…” I tried to explain even though I knew he probably won’t let me. I was right – as soon as the words left my mouth, he slammed me into a wall once again, this time even harder than previously.