chapter six

The damaged

“Come on, freak.” Jongin gestured me to follow, turned around and disappeared up the stairs, before I was even able to comprehend what he wanted. At the moment realization struck my brain however, I cursed under my breath, ordered my legs to move and then darted after him as fast as I could without causing too much noise – which means I was actually quite slow. The entrance hall was huge, almost bigger than my apartment, and because it also happened to be much emptier, every sound seemed to be at least twice as loud as it should be.

While I was running up the stairs in order to catch up with Jongin, I wondered if it was possible for me to get lost in this house. The obvious answer was of course yes, yet it was very very very likely that I would get lost, especially if the sadistic bastard had planned this - which wouldn’t be a surprise at all.

Once I managed to climb the whole length of the stairs, I found myself standing at the beginning of a long hallway with way too many doors for my liking. Jongin was of course nowhere to be seen and even though I really wanted to try and call for him, I suppressed the urge – I would never hear the end of it if his mysterious disappearance had indeed been planned, not to mention there might have been other people in the house.

I indecisively made a couple of steps forward, wondering if I shouldn’t perhaps just leave as long as I still could – plain stupid of course. It just proved that I was in reality a pathetic coward with a strong instinct to run away from everything that made me feel even just a slightly uncomfortable. The only reason I managed to survive the previous week without running for the hills while screaming, was because I was in such a desperate need for money. Another proof of my worthlessness.

I slowly started moving forward, while thoroughly observing the surroundings for any sign of life. I was not superstitious at all, but still couldn’t keep myself from thinking that the atmosphere in the mansion was pretty scary. And yes, that was probably the main reason for a simple touch to be able to startle me as though the devil himself would materialize in front of me. Jongin’s reaction was of course a great amount of amusement immediately taking over his facial features. He even let a small laugh escape his lips as he removed his hand from my shoulder - which was actually quite unusual for him. He smirked and smiled all the time yes, but he never laughed.

When I finally managed to compose myself, I noticed how close together we stood. I took a couple of steps back right away, shooting a nasty glare in his direction. “You’re an idiot.” I declared as soon as I was able to speak without the danger of annoying trembling creeping into my voice.

He curled the left corner of his lips upwards into a sneaky half-smile. “Your accusations don’t have any proper grounds this time, freak.” he said mockingly. “The only thing I did was touch your shoulder. It’s not my fault you’re such a scaredy-cat.”

Well I certainly had to admit – though very unwillingly – that he had a point. But still… “I’m pretty sure you planned this.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Maybe yes, maybe no.” he calmly replied, his answer just as good as a yes. I could tell by his expression that he was familiar with that fact and only gave me a neutral response because he knew it would irritate me greatly. He was certainly right. Impertinent, sadistic moron. Why had he always had to act as a total jerk towards me? I really didn’t do anything to deserve this.

“Maybe I should go.” I said as coldly as I could, avoiding his searching eyes. No, I didn’t want to leave – I realized that would be the end of our agreement which also meant that I would have to vacate my apartment pretty soon. But on the other side… I just seriously didn’t know how much longer I was able to do… this.

“And show up looking like that tonight?” asked Jongin skeptically as he pointed at my current outfit. “I seriously can’t see how this could benefit you in any way. You’re going to be with us, which means you’ll be permitted to enter the club no matter your clothes. So if this is your plan to avoid our little night out – it’s not going to work.” his eyes sparkled dangerously.

I pressed my lips into a thin line. “How stupid do you think I am?” I wondered quietly but also somehow forcefully. It was a rhetorical question and he knew it. “Maybe I should go.” I repeated my previous words. “And never wander anywhere near you again.”

That surprised him, but he wasn’t under the effect for very long. As always he managed to gain his composure back unusually fast and was glaring at me with slightly narrowed eyes only a moment later. “If that’s what you want then please, go ahead.” he said coldly. He was obviously challenging me.

I stared at him for a couple of seconds before I slowly turned around and was just about to leave when it suddenly struck me; perhaps I could reverse the whole situation in my advantage. Depends on how big Jongin’s wish to prove himself irresistible was. “You don’t really want that, do you? I have a feeling you have much more to lose than I do.” Lie. I seriously didn’t understand his obsession with deceiving people. I had no idea why he found it so important, but the fact was that he did and I could use it.

“Changed you mind so quickly freak?” he asked mockingly, his left eyebrow slightly raised for a better effect.

“No…” I started a little indecisively. “But I’m prepared to make another deal.”

“And why do you believe I would be too?”

“Because you have more to lose than I do?”

“Fair enough. I’m listening.” he finally gave up, surprising me slightly. It was really unusual for him to admit he actually had a weakness of some kind.

“Okay.” I took a deep breath. “I will continue with this charade if you stop acting like a total jerk. Knock yourself out when we’re around your friends, but please keep those insults out of your sentences when we’re not.”

“Hm…” he gave me a long calculating look, obviously deciding whether or not he was prepared to accept my condition. “I’m not sure I can promise you that, freak.” he said after a long silence. “It would definitely be challenging.”

“I thought you like challenges.” I retorted, my hands crossed on my chest. There were several emotions swirling inside of me; Small part of me wanted him to decline so I could go home and forget about the whole thing, about him. Majority on the other hand, wished he would agree – I really did need that money.

“I guess I could try.” he murmured, waking me from my thoughts.

I huffed. “Trying is not enough.” I hissed. “I need you to promise me.”

I noticed how his lips formed a thin line and how troubled he suddenly looked. It was obvious that he fought an inner battle with himself - what would prevail? “Fine.” he answered stiffly. “I promise. But you really can’t blame me if I slip from time to time – it happens even to the best.”

“From time to time.” I said. “And no more playing games on me. Scare me like this again and the deal is over.” I warned, earning a small and very much amused smirk from him. “What?” I asked, once again slightly irritated by his behavior. I noticed only now that he was actually able to get on my nerves without actually opening his mouth. Unfortunately it seemed he figured that out as well. Just my luck.

It seems I have misjudged you.” He tilted his head a little to the left, his eyes staring at me as though I was his meal. I could literally feel my face burning in some sort of embarrassment even I didn’t fully understand. It was probably because of the way he was looking at me. Only when I finally managed to brush this feeling off, I realized that I didn’t understand his statement at all - but knowing Jongin, it probably didn’t mean anything good.

“Well, now that we cleared everything up – we should really get ready. It’s getting late.” said Jongin after a couple minutes of silence, gesturing me to follow him. This time I got myself in motion much faster, though I didn’t really believe he would try anything unpleasant at this point. But if I’d learnt anything in the past week, was to always expect the unexpected from him. He was way too cunning for my liking.

He led me down the hallway, through some door, then up the stairs and down some hallway again. His house seemed to be even bigger than I originally thought.

“This is my bedroom.” he said nonchalantly as we finally stopped in front of an open door that led into a huge and overly clean room. The décor was just as expensive and luxurious as elsewhere in the house, although it didn’t seem just as cold and it also possessed some teenage touch. The colors were mostly blue and white, mixed with the black of the latest (probably, I wasn’t precisely an expert) technology. And what surprised me the most was the fact that there were books. A lot of books actually.

“Is this really your room or are you trying to fool me again?” I investigated, my eyes narrowed in suspicion. Jongin on the other hand seemed to be a little surprised by my question, though his confusion disappeared as soon as he noticed what were my eyes fixed at. He raised his eyebrows in mockery.

“Is it really that hard to believe that I actually read?” he wondered.

“Um…yes.” I replied truthfully. I never imagined Jongin was the kind of person who would take a book in his hands without being forced to. I expected him to have a full room of violent videogames and action movies, hell, even voodoo dolls seemed more believable than books.

Jongin opened his mouth to retort, most definitely something entirely rude because he closed them almost immediately, his lips suddenly pressed into a thin line. He took a deep breath and brushed past me towards his bed. I only then noticed neatly folded clothes placed onto the covers.

“My brother’s clothes.” he explained. “They might be a bit too big, but honestly – they can’t be worse than what you are wearing right now.” I opened my mouth in order to remind him of our latest deal, but changed my mind almost immediately – he did have a good point after all.

“You have a brother?” I asked curiously.

“Two actually and a sister too - not that it is any of your business.” he replied nonchalantly while once again locking his eyes with mine. This time there was warning flickering in them – he obviously didn’t want me to in his personal life. I could understand that.

He picked the clothes from the bed and threw it to me. “There is a bathroom on the other side of the hallway. Dress up.” he ordered while grimacing slightly. “We’ll do something with your hair later.” he decided as he pushed me out of his room towards the bathroom door.

Five minutes later, I fully dressed stood in front of a huge bathroom mirror. When Jongin had said he would have found me something ridiculous and high class to wear, I expected I would have to show up in something seriously clown-like. The result was luckily quite different, though it definitely wasn’t perfect. The colors didn’t fit together at all, not to mention they were also a bit too bright for my liking. The clothes itself were not completely appropriate for clubbing but fortunately they weren’t entirely inappropriate either. And most importantly; they suited me. Yes, they were a little too big, but they nevertheless looked better on me than my actual clothes.

When I returned into Jongin’s room he was standing in the middle of the space completely topless. He noticed me right away, smirk plastered on his face the very next moment. He didn’t seem to be even a little bit embarrassed by his current state and I seriously wished that would be the case with me as well. Unfortunately however my face already turned red and I suddenly noticed how very interesting the carpet was and stubbornly kept my eyes fixed on it, not daring to look up.

“You’re weirdly sensitive for a guy.” he commented and I could literally feel all the mixed contempt and amusement in his voice. I kept my mouth shut because I honestly didn’t know what to say. I was expecting the question to pop out every second now - it was honestly quite obvious that he had figured it out. Half of it at least.

Luckily it never came to that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh* i'm really not happy with the slow flow of the story, but i got carried away. again... and again... and again. ah well, it is what it is. so yes, i'm actually only writing this to express my gratitude towards everyone that left a comment - you keep me going, really. and of course, i can't forget about all that subcribed and upvoted.