Separation

False Realities

I woke up, and knew that today would .

I picked my cellphone up from the mini-dresser next to me, and tapped the side. I glanced from underneath my panda mask - 8:08 am.

Class starts at 9.

I felt ill, the events from yesterday still buzzing throughout my brain and being. Though I was probably much better now, thinking about the whole ordeal made me somewhat queasy. I spun myself on my bed, trying to tighten the roll of blanket that I was already encapsulated with. It was cold in the room - just the way I liked it. 

Normally, I kept the AC running within my room on 24/7, preferring the dry and frigid comfort that it provided. Turning off the AC would cause the room to quickly gather moisture and increase the humidity of the entire apartment. For some reason, my room had a tendency to quickly get muggy, making it uncomfortable to stay in for extended periods of time without mechanical assistance. It was possible that the water may have been coming from the outside, entering through the very device made to separate the external from the internal. The water, though, could also have been entering through the various, ubiquitous holes in the apartment. It goes without saying that a building that had been around for several decades would be bound to have several structure deficiencies, all which would result in water from the outside eventually seeping into the building. Of course, that would be the least of the many problems that would result.

In this case, though, it wasn't the cold that was getting to me. I felt something else, visible, yet invisible, causing the chills to run throughout my body. My attempts to retain heat was in vain - I could still feel an aura of ice encasing me within the blanket, its cold radiating through the woolen strings, the heat away.

Annoyed from my futile efforts, I discarded the blanket to the bed, and used my discontent as an alternate energy source. The hot shower was quick, and just as I finished dressing, I realized something.

"Huh...I never checked the weather today."

Looking at my phone would be helpful, but it only provided information about the surrounding areas. It didn't necessarily tell weather that was happening now, in my current area. I walked to my window, and moved the cloth blinds slightly to the side. Sunlight spilled through, illuminating my room with a yellow hue. I flinched, my eyes not used to powerful influx of light. Turning my head, my eyes met another burst of light, but not from the sun.

The necklace and bracelet on my dresser. Each one returned a steady wave of light, almost like the subtle glint in people's eyes. I still couldn't remember how they got there.

Another glance at my cellphone, and I realized I had no time to spare.

I tore my attention from the dresser, and bolted out of the room.

As I ran out, the wind brushing through my clothes and body, I could feel like I was leaving something behind. Something that I didn't know existed.

As if I had been separated from what I truly was.

******

"So, tell me the status."

The figure, its voice laden with a mix of curiosity and seriousness, waited for an answer.

"Our initial data seems to indicate this area has had several recent intrusions lately, much higher than the normal threshold." The voice, that of a girl's, replied from behind the first figure, its tone calm and collected.

"Do we know what type of intrusion it is?" The original figure replied again.

"No. The data only states that the intrusions have happened. In addition, we do not know where they originate from."

"Do we know if anything got through, and if they did, are they still here?"

"Yes, fluctuations in the mag-spectrum indicate that their presences are still in this area. The count number is unknown."

The original figure shifted, moving its abdomen back and forth to stretch. Though its attention was with the girl, its eyes were somewhere else. It lifted its head, looking into the cloudless, clear sky, as if to look for a sign.

"Hey, if we stay here, more intrusions are going to happen." Another voice spoke, coming from a guy. "We should go on the offensive and hunt them down before there's any severe damage." His voice, too, was burdened with worry.

"Haha, whatever we find, they'll be no match for us! We'll drive 'em back to where they came from!" The enthusiastic feminine voice stood up from the rocks, and placed her foot firmly on another rock. "Hm? Any takers?"

"Agreed. This area seems to have some kind of factor or trigger that's been facilitating this crossing-over of sorts; we should concentrate on that to get to the root of the problem." The reply came from another sitting man, his tone one of reserved affirmation.

Another figure nodded its head, the large hood hiding its facial expression.

The leader, her gaze still on the spectacular sight before her, stayed silent. Her eyes peering upon the urban structures that protruded from the earth. It was a vast landscape of many colors, a canvas of grey with spotted dots of every other color. Below her was body of a formidable river, its shield-like surface reversing the course of light, creating a palette of the blue sky with the overgrowth of nature that towered over the river. It reminded her of a certain place back home, and the friends she used to have.

In her mind, she knew this wouldn't last, just like her fleeting childhood. And yet, she still had her duty. In her mind, she was trying to find an answer to something that no one had found yet. She hoped she wouldn't have to make that decision.

She stood up, her mind back on the cliff.

"Alright, it's decided. We strike at night. Everyone get into positions and wait until then. Go."

With her last word, the team of six quickly separated, their capes oscillating in the wind with their rapid accelerations. And then, the sounds stopped, and they dissipated into the world.

 

Little did they know of the short, impending future they had.