Man Down.

Gunman

    


    I grabbed my groceries from the counter and walked out to the parking lot, groaning after seeing the mass amount of vehicles that arrived after I did. The fact that I forgot where I parked didn't help my ty mood. I stood on the very tip of my toes and scoured the lot for my silver Acura. Yes, I own an Acura, and yes, I have a kid. Don't judge me. I'm manly. I finally found the boat and made a beeline toward it. I searched my pockets for my keys, but froze as I felt a dull object jab into my back and a low voice growl in my ear. 
    "Unlock the doors and put the groceries in, slowly." It was a gun. There was a gun against my back. 

 


 
   "You heard me -move," the man said, nudging Baekhyun in the back again. Baekhyun's trembling hand fumbled in his pocket for the keys, his heart pounding in his ears. 
    "P-Please don't kill m-me," Baekhyun whispered. The man pressed harder into his back as Baekhyun pulled the jingling object from his pocket and shakily unlocked the door. He set the bags on the back seat and then sat in the driver's seat as the gunman pointed the handgun at him, gesturing for him to get in the car. 
    "Don't try anything funny or I'll blow your brains out." The man slammed Baekhyun's door shut and walked around the front of the car to get in on the passenger side. "Now, you're going to drive straight home -no detours or tricks." Baekhyun turned the key in the ignition, but swallowed hard and faced the man timidly.
    "P-Please... I have a wife and a son -you can't kill me-" The man cut him off.
     "Shut up." He pointed the gun at Baekhyun's lap and glared. "Just drive." Baekhyun started the car and pulled out of the lot quickly, recklessly pulling onto the highway. He drove quickly, merging lanes illegally to reach the freeway quickly.
"Slow down," the man said. "Don't get pulled over."
    "That's easier s-said than done when you're pointing a gun at me," Baekhyun said, never once taking his eyes off the road. 


 



    "That's easier s-said than done when you're pointing a gun at me," I said. I kept my eyes on the road to focus there, rather than distract myself with the armed man beside me. "What do you want?" The man didn't flinch, but answered my question. 
    "Don't ask questions." Silence filled the car. "I just need money, man. You can understand that, can't you?" I gulped hard and gripped the steering wheel tightly.
    "Y-Yes, I suppose so." More silence. I reached down to turn on the radio and the man cocked the gun, making me freeze instantly.
     "Leave it off." I retracted my hand and attached it to the wheel again. 
    "You aren't going to hurt my family, are you? You're not gonna my wife?" The man scoffed and pulled the gun away slightly. 
     "What the , man! That's messed up. I'm not a pirate." I sighed in relief and merged into the right lane. 
    "Then what do you plan on doing, exactly," I asked. He shrugged and put the gun away. 
     "I'll tell your wife to take the kid upstairs and get her jewelry and , and I'll take all your valuables and drive away in your..." He looked around awkwardly. "Your five-seat Acura? Really?"  I nod and stare straight ahead. 
    "You weren't thinking, were you? Robbing a man who drives an ACURA?" The man facepalms and grumbles.
     "Shut up." Once again, silence found its way into the car. After a good five minutes, I thought of something to say.
    "What's your name?" The man looked at me like I was stupid. 
     "Do you really think I would give you my name?" I shrug.
    "Think of it this way: Why would I turn you in? If I did, I would get all my old back. If I didn't, I would get new stuff from the insurance agency." The man hummed in comprehension and scratched his head. 
    "Kris. My name is Kris." I nodded and sighed. 
     "See, how hard was that? My name is Baekhyun. Nice to meet you." The man nodded and looked out the window. 


 



    "See, how hard was that? My name is Baekhyun. Nice to meet you," Baekhyun said. The gunman nodded and looked out the window. Baekhyun began to speak again but stopped as Kris started talking. 
     "I suppose you're going to ask where I'm from and all that . I'll tell you," Kris started. "I'm from Canada, I'm old, I'm y and that's it." Baekhyun stifled a laugh and nodded. 
    "Well, that works," Baekhyun said. He paused as he took an exit. "If you don't mind my asking... How did you get into a life of crime?" 
     "I do mind," Kris snapped. He sighed and scratched his head with his gun. "But I might as well tell you. I was a pretty popular guy back in China, but I was kicked out of my group because of some complicated . So, I shot a few of them and got in trouble." He shrugged and tucked his gun in his coat. They pull up to a red light and wait. Kris pulls the visor in front of his face until they move again. 
    "I used to be popular, too. Then I got with Taeyeon and they disowned me." Baekhyun smiled and Kris looked at him weirdly. 
     "You? Popular? Puh-lease! You drive a five-seater Acura for God's sake." They both laughed and Baekhyun scoffed. 
    "I didn't always drive an Acura, you know," Baekhyun said. Kris nodded and rolled his eyes. 
     Suddenly, Baekhyun tensed up as he saw his house approaching. He reluctantly pulled into his driveway and turned off the car. 
    "We're here..." Baekhyun stared down at the steering wheel and Kris sat silently.


 



    "We're here," I said. I stared down at the steering wheel and listened to Kris breathe out softly. 
     "Hey," Kris said. "Forget about it." I looked at him in confusion.
    "What do you mean," I asked. He sighed heavily before looking at me. 
     "I'm not gonna rob you." He emptied his gun in front of me and dumped his bullets in my glove-box. 
    "I don't under-" He cut me off again. 
     "Listen. I haven't actually had a full-on conversation with someone for years. It felt nice." I looked at him with pity and went to speak, but he held his hand up. "However," he started. "I do need somewhere to stay for a few hours. And seeing as I'm still armed, I wouldn't argue if I were you." I nodded and got out of the car. 
     "It's five o'clock, Taeyeon should be watching that penguin show with the big eyes with Taehyung right about now," I said. "So, I'll tell her you're a new co-worker." Kris nodded and followed me into the house. "Honey, I'm home," I called. 

 


    
    "Honey, I'm home," Baekhyun shouted. Taeyeon shouted back from the living room.
     "In here, baby! I'm with TaeTae," she called. Baekhyun led Kris to the living room where Taeyeon was playing with the baby. She saw Kris and stood up. 
    "Taeyeon, this is Kris. He's new at work. Kris, meet Taeyeon -my wife." Baekhyun leaned in to peck Taeyeon's lips and Kris smiled. 
     "It's very nice to meet you," Kris said, holding out his hand. 
    "Likewise," Taeyeon said, shaking his hand. 
     "Baby, would you mind going upstairs with the baby? We have some important work to do," Baekhyun said, quietly. Taeyeon nodded and scooped up the baby to take him upstairs. As soon as Baekhyun and Kris were alone, they plopped down on the couch. 
    "So, what are we supposed to do while we're waiting for..." Baekhyun paused. "What are we waiting for?" Kris shrugged. 
     "Well, my plan was set that I would be safe at six o'clock, so in about an hour, I'll be outta here," Kris said. Baekhyun looked around the room. 
    "Oh. Okay..." Silence filled the air. Kris opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the loud sound of helicopter props and sirens. His eyes filled with fear as he dropped to the floor quickly. 
    "Go tell your wife to take the kid and hide in the bathtub farthest from the front of the house! Stay low," Kris shouted. Baekhyun crawled up the stairs to find his wife and warn her. 
    "Baby, come on!" Baekhyun dragged Taeyeon and the baby to the opposite side of the house and ordered them to stay in the bathtub, then hurried back down the stairs. 
     "Kris! What the Hell is going on!?" Kris grabbed Baekhyun's hand and pulled him behind the sofa. 
    "They know I'm here! I have to give myself up; I can't endanger your family," Kris shouted. 
     "WU FAN, WE'VE GOT YOU SURROUNDED." 

 



    "WU FAN, WE'VE GOT YOU SURROUNDED." My heart pounded in my ears and my stomach was in my feet. 
     "What do you mean give yourself up!?" Kris and I had to shout over the noise outside. Kris shook his head and looked up. 
    "If I don't go out there, they'll gas your house and arrest you all. I can't do that to you!" I gritted my teeth and grabbed Kris's arms. The whole ground shook from the many vehicles surrounding the house. 
     "COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP AND WE WON'T SHOOT." Kris cursed loudly. 
    "No, Kris! I am not letting you do that," I yelled. He grabbed my collar roughly. 
     "THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING. COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP." 
    "Baekhyun, you saved me! I have to return the favor," he said firmly. My throat was dry and my head was spinning. 
     "IF YOU DON'T COME OUT, WE'LL GAS THE HOUSE AND SHOOT THE FIRST THING THAT EXITS." We both cursed. 
    "P-Please, Kris! I'll go out in your stead!" Tears flowed from my eyes. He shook his head and started to stand up. 
    "I have to go!" Before he could stand, I punched him hard in the groin and ran out the front door. "BAEKHYUN!" 
     "FIRE!" Before I could register anything, I was deafened by a sharp ringing sound followed by a tearing pain. I staggered backward and fell to my knees as they turned to rubber. My whole body felt weak and I went completely limp, my eyes slamming shut, falling into a crumpled mess on the driveway. 
    "BAEK!" I heard Kris shout my name before hearing a distant echoing. 
     "FIRE!" I heard a loud shot and Kris screaming out in pain.  A bullet lodged deep in his shoulder. My hand weakly made its way into the air.
    "K-Kris..." I managed to whisper. I opened my eyes and saw Kris stumbling to me. Before he got closer, I saw a bullet tear through his leg -two more piercing his stomach and chest. He collapsed right beside me, coughing violently. 
    "Baek," he said, weakly. "Y-You're going to be okay!" Flecks of blood spattered from his mouth with every word he spoke. I shakily grabbed his hand. 
    "K-Kris... Th-Thank you..." I felt my strength and warmth leaving me slowly. 
     "N-NO! BAEKHYUN!! DON'T D-DIE!" He squeezed my hand and coughed again. He was covered in blood. I forced a smile and pulled him close. 
    "Thank you for being my friend." Kris wept loudly. 
     "You are m-my only friend, Baek. I will remember you." His tears diluted the blood on his face as he fell limp on the ground, his head resting on my chest. I winced slightly, but soon all the pain went away and I closed my eyes... Good bye, Kris...