Freshmen Year

Living with the past

Carly was so excited to go out there and face the city school and the city people. She wondered how they will be like. SHe was excited to meet new friends. SHe couldn't wait to go to school.

First Day:

"I'm leaving now!" Carly told her parents filled with excitement. "Have fun on your first day." her dad said. "here don't forget your lunch" and with that, Carly gave them a hug and rode the school bus. 

She was in awe when she saw how big the bus was. They didn't have that there where she was from and this was all new to her. SHe immediately looked for a seat and found one at the very front. She was looking at the window all the time. Astonished and amazed by everything she saw. SHe could not believe that everything she could only see on T.V. before - is now right in front of her eyes. Big Buildings, A lot of buildings, cars, amazing cars she never seen before, big houses, beautiful beaches...everything was just a delight in her eyes. 

THey finally arrived at her school. She was even more in awe because the school she's going to go to is 20 times bigger than their house. She's never seen a school that big her entire life. She was gleaming with joy. 

THe school principal then gathered all the freshmen in the main hall. Gave them a speech and welcomed all of them. THey wished them all a happy stay at their school. THey also guided the students as to where they would be able to get their class schedules. Carly went to the table and stated her name. They looked her name up and gave her her schedule and a map of the school. Carly looked at it and it just looked like a huge maze to her. She felt trapped in that huge building. She then asked one of the seniors where her first class would be. One of the seniors told her the way to go and as she was walking away, she can hear them snickering behind her. She didn't mind them at all. She finally reached her destination. Her first class!. "This is it! This is the beginning of my adventure!" She took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. 

To her surprise, she saw the custodians. She then realized that she was fooled by the seniors. She then asked one of the custodians if they could direct her to her first class. She was panicking because she was already late. The custodian told her that he doesnt specifically know where her class would be but she helped her get back to the main hall. He walked her there. He was nice. 

She thanked him and then she looked for a teacher to lead her to where she needs to be. She found a teacher that would help her out. The teacher said "Oh that's Mr. Riggs class, that's not that far from here. Follow me." And with that, she followed her to her next class. The teacher said that Mr. Riggs is kind of mean but she assured Carly that she would explain to Mr. Riggs why she was late.

They finally arrived to her class. "Mr. Riggs, this is Carly Benavidez, one of your students." the teacher said. "Ms. Benavidez, late on your first day huh, STRIKE! it's about time for you to finally join us!" Mr. Riggs said coldly. Carly became scared .... close to tears....her first encounter with her teacher wasn't a very good one. The teacher then explained to Mr. Riggs what happened and he understood the situation. "Fine, since this is the first day, I will let this one go. Go ahead and introduce yourself" With that, the teacher that helped her left the classroom. "How ya'll doin? Name's Carly. I just moved here from Indiana and I'm excited to be friends with all ya'll. Nice to meet ya'll" Carly said. After that, the whole room busted out laughing from her southern accent. She was not expecting this reaction from her classmates at all. She was disappointed that they would make fun of her on the very first day. "Now now class, settle down. That's not a way to welcome your fellow classmate" everybody was still laughing "EVERYONE QUIEEEEETTTTTTT!!!" Mr. Riggs yelled out with his deep voice. The whole room became silent in an instant. "Ms. Benavidez, go ahead and find a seat." Mr. Riggs said in a calm tone. And with that, Carly went to her seat. She was sitting at the very back next to a window. 

After every class, Carly would ask her teacher how to get to her next class. She was able to succesfully find them on her own.

Lunch time. Everybody already have made friends and there were already some groups formed. She hasnt made a single friend yet and it seems like there's no table available for her to sit on. Everybody had their food in trays. She was the only one with her lunch in a bag. She finally found an empty table next to the trash can, sat there and ate her lunch all alone. She went home with her excitement all gone. Walking to her to the door, her parents asked her how her first day was and she replied "Tiring" and she went straight to her room and cried herself to sleep.