final.

A Day With Dae

 

Final
I say choco you say ice cream.
choco?
shut up. 

"Hyuuuuuuung!" the maknae whined as he knocked hurriedly on Daehyun and Youngjae's door. Hearing slow and lazy footsteps paddle towards the door, it opened slowly, revealing a very sleepy Daehyun who barely managed to pry his eyes open. 
 

Daehyun yawned loudly as he ran a hand through his tousled bed hair, placing the same hand on the door frame afterwards.
 

"What do you want, Junhong?" Daehyun asked as he stared at the younger grumpily.
 

"Hyung, did you eat my cherry tomatoes?" Zelo settled both his hands on his waist as he stared accusingly at Daehyun. 
 

"What? Why would I? I don't even like-" he halted in his words as his tiny bed eyes suddenly got bigger.
 

"He did! I saw him munching on your cherry tomatoes last night at 2am!" another voice emerged from the shared room and a nicely dressed Youngjae pushed past Daehyun.
 

"Hyung!" Zelo frowned, "How could you?" 
 

"I-" Daehyun yawned yet again, "I finished up my cheesecake, and I was feeling really hungry..." 
 

Zelo opened his mouth to argue but Youngjae cut in again. 
 

"You're going to grow fats if you keep on eating so much." 
 

Daehyun narrowed his eyes at Youngjae, "Fats? I don't think it will be more than your chubby cheeks which you used to have! Let's not mention the belly-" 
 

"Yah!" Youngjae exclaimed as he hit Daehyun on his shoulder, hard. The former's cheeks flushed a bright red as he was reminded of the embarrassing debut moments he had. 
 

Zelo shrunk back when he sensed a fight between the two best friends- he certainly did not wish to get involved in their own little problems. 
 

"Uh... Hyung, you can forget about the tomatoes... But you should still buy me a new packet!" he smiled innocently at Daehyun and quickly made his escapade. 
 

"This cheeky little Junhong, trying to command his hyung?" Daehyun muttered under his breath, not aware of the glare Youngjae was directing at him. 
 

"What are you doing dressed up so nicely anyway, belly?" Daehyun shifted his attention from the maknae and landed his gaze on Youngjae.
 

"You, you, you! Say that again and I'll make sure that your life is-" Youngjae was cut off when Daehyun placed a palm on his mouth. His muffled words were incoherent, so feeling annoyed, Youngjae decided to bite Daehyun on the palm. 
 

"Ow!" Daehyun howled as his hands immediately shrunk back from those vicious, vicious teeth. His arms flailed everywhere as he jumped- trying to distract himself from the pain Youngjae had caused him. He bit really hard, that bastard! 
 

"You are going to make it up to me by carrying my shopping bags. Go change now, I need to leave in five!" Youngjae pushed Daehyun back into the bedroom and shut the door behind them. 
 

Walking over to Daehyun's closet, Youngjae opened it and halted, staring incredulously at the mess hidden behind the two doors. He started by picking up a crumpled white T-shirt, and flung it on Daehyun's face as he gave it a look of disgust. 
 

"You should clean up your closet sometime,” Youngjae nagged as he searched through the pile of mess, pulling and throwing anything that he didn't like onto Daehyun’s bed.

“And you, you are making it even worse!” Daehyun complained as he flopped back onto his bed, looking at Youngjae’s back-view the whole time. Youngjae was so busy searching for a piece of clean and nice clothing for Daehyun that he didn’t realize the older had been staring at his all the while.

“Youngjae, has anyone told you that you have a really pretty ?” Daehyun mused as he reached out to touch Youngjae’s . Youngjae jumped in horror and spun around, a shade of red creeping onto his not-anymore chubby face. Gawping at Daehyun, he held out whatever clothing he had on his hands to cover his embarrassed face. “W-wear this!” He squeaked.

Daehyun chuckled- it is a chuckle full of amusement and that only made Youngjae blush even harder. But that quickly turned into a grimace when he looked at the choice of clothes Youngjae had made.

“That? You want me to wear that out?” Daehyun stared at Youngjae incredulously.

“Why not?” Youngjae frowned in confusion. He thought the choice he had made was perfectly okay- that shirt suitted Daehyun just right. It was cute.

“You want me to wear a shirt with ducks all over it outside? Are you not aware that will completely and utterly destroy my reputation?” Daehyun stared at his friend weirdly. Suddenly, Youngjae didn't seem all that fashionable to him anymore.

Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Look, just change into that! Nobody’s going to look at you anyway.”

“What do you mean nobody will look at me? I mean, who would be able to resist looking at such a y, adorable, perfect- ow!” Daehyun cried as Youngjae hit him on the head with a bunny slipper that managed to emerge from nowhere. “Alright, alright! I’ll change into that!”

Daehyun took off the shirt he was wearing, and absent-mindedly snatched the shirt from Youngjae’s grip.

Youngjae stared. He stared hard at Daehyun’s perfectly tanned skin, his oh-so-fine abs and his defined arm muscles.

Then he mentally slapped himself. Why the heck would he be staring at Daehyun’s body? He wasn't jealous or anything, he himself had a pretty decent body too…(It could very well compare to Daehyun’s body. Right, just kidding.) Instead, he found himself wanting to trail his hands over those very defined muscles.

Oh my god, what are you thinking, Yoo Youngjae? He started to think that maybe he was a little mad.

“Let’s go,” Daehyun was oblivious to the intense staring of Youngjae’s, instead he grabbed his phone and keys and started to pull the dazed Youngjae out of their shared room.

A scream of horror was heard as they both stepped outside of their room- and there was only one person in the whole dorm who could scream so high and loud like that. Kim Himchan.

“What are you wearing, Daehyun?” Himchan screeched as he pointed, disgusted at the piece of material that was covering his fine body. Youngjae mentally slapped himself yet again.

He walked over hurriedly as he inspected the clothing at a closer distance, worried that he might have saw wrongly. But no, there were tons and tons of cute and horrid ducks on the shirt.

“Jae asked me to wear this,” Daehyun threw his arms up in the air, making an action as if he was surrendering. One did not want to get on Himchan’s nerves about appearances.

“Youngjae? Youngjae?” Himchan stuttered, a look of disbelief plastered on his shocked face. Just happened, Yongguk was walking past, and the flabbergasted Himchan stopped Yongguk by latching onto his arms.

“Yongguk! Look at what Dae is wearing! What is happening to the kids nowadays? Do they have no sense of fashion at all? Gukkie, do you understand my stress? This is a totally important matter!” Himchan nagged continuously as the leader stares at him, dumbfounded. Youngjae, seeing this as a perfect chance to escape whilst Himchan was busy complaining to Yongguk, pulled Daehyun across the living room and hurriedly exitted the dorm.

Youngjae let out a breath of relief as they escaped into the lift, glad that they weren't held back by Himchan to listen to him talk about how people should or shouldn’t dress nowadays. Himchan would probably take more than an hour and Youngjae definitely didn't have time for that.

----

“I’m hungry,” Daehyun whined as both of them gets off the subway. Youngjae merely rolled his eyes in disbelief- they just had lunch an hour ago.

“I don’t care. We are going shopping,” Youngjae decided. He walked ahead of Daehyun and they reached the mall soon enough. 

“Why am I out with you again?” Daehyun wondered aloud; he wasn't really sure why he had complied to Youngjae’s request- okay, it wasn’t really a request- to come out shopping with him. He liked shopping, sure, but that was only if it was shopping in the food market. He had absolutely no interest whatsoever in shopping for clothes. You couldn't even eat clothes.

“Because you are my best friend and best friends should accompany each other out shopping,” Youngjae explained and slipped an arm around Daehyun’s, not aware of how couple-like that looked. Daehyun didn’t mind though- he was perfectly content with a cute fluffball holding his arms. He chuckled lightly to himself as Youngjae bounced off, dragging Daehyun about, going to various different stores with Daehyun grumbling non-stop about how boring the shops were.

By the end of an hour of shopping, Daehyun was so exhausted that all he wished for was to sit down somewhere to relax. Youngjae didn't seem to think the same thing though, and he was just about to go into another store when Daehyun stopped him. Daehyun swore Youngjae was like a battery which would never go out of life when it came to shopping.

“Jae! Let’s go sit down somewhere! I’m hungry and bored,” he said with a pleading tone which Youngjae responded to with a wave of his arms.

“You go ahead, I’ll just go look for you later,” Youngjae suggested and stepped into the nicely furnished accessories store. Daehyun never really understood why Youngjae even bothers to shop for accessories anymore, the pile he had in the dorm was enough to last him a month if he wore a different one everyday.

Daehyun grumbled appreciatively and stalked off into the direction of Starbucks.

Youngjae looked around the shop and something caught his eyes- a bunny headband. Strolling over, he picked up the piece of hairband and stared at it, an idea popping up into his mind. It was going to be Daehyun’s birthday soon, and he had no idea at all what to get him, so his mind worked quickly and he decided to purchase that hairband. He was sure Daehyun wasn't going to like it- but that was precisely the reason why he had decided on that gift for him, anyway.

“Thank you,” Youngjae politely said to the shop owner which gave him a weird look and exited the shop, searching for Daehyun. He walked over to Starbucks since that was where Daehyun was headed to, and he ended up searching for a whole 15 minutes and Daehyun was nowhere in sight. Slightly annoyed, he retrieved his phone from his designer bag and dialed Daehyun’s phone, but then he remembered just half an hour ago, Daehyun had dumped his phone and wallet into Youngjae's bag. Youngjae cursed inwardly.

At that precise moment, an announcement rung throughout the whole mall.

“Can the guardian of Jung Daehyun please come to the reception desk at Level 1? I repeat, the guardian of Jung Daehyun, please come to the reception desk at Level 1.” A beep.

Youngjae literally facepalmed himself as he looked around, paranoid. People wouldn't happen to know he was the supposed ‘guardian’ of a darned 20 year old, would they? Not to mention, a 20 year old who was turning 21 in just a few days’ time.

He growled in embarrassment and stomped hurriedly into the lift which almost closed- but he managed to squeeze into the gap.

Stupid, Daehyun was stupid.

A ding signaled that he had reached the first floor and Youngjae stepped out, seeing the reception desk not too far away. A bouncing Daehyun was standing beside the security guard acting like a kid, and Youngjae debated to just leave him alone and go home. Daehyun could find his own way home.

Youngjae turned around and almost stepped into the lift, but the door closed on his feet and he immediately jerked it back, howling in pain as he grabbed at his foot, jumping around and letting a few cuss words out. “, , ! Stupid door, stupid foot, stupid day, stupid Daehyun!”

Maybe Daehyun heard it; maybe he didn’t, but the next thing Youngjae felt was a pair of arms hugging him from behind, causing him to almost tumble over. An excited squeal rung into his ears and Youngjae almost went deaf.

“Youngjae! You came!” Daehyun cried as he hugged Youngjae tighter, “I was so scared, because I realized I gave all my belongings to you! I’m so hungry!”  

Youngjae on the other hand- wasn't sure what to feel. Happy that Daehyun was hugging him, embarrassed that everyone was staring or angry that Daehyun was so stupid.

He chose the third option.

Prying apart Daehyun’s buff arms from his waist, he turned around and gave Daehyun a death glare which immediately shut Daehyun’s babbling mouth up. Menacingly walking towards the older boy, Youngjae pointed a finger at Daehyun and started jabbing it into his chest, making Daehyun reverse in his steps.

“You,” Youngjae growled, “I shouldn’t have come down at all. I should’ve left you here overnight. God damn it Daehyun, you just embarrassed me to the point where I would rather eat three of your stupid cheesecakes instead of dealing with this!”

One may wonder- why cheesecakes? Well, that was because ever since Daehyun had met Youngjae, he had been stuffing the already chubby guy with cheesecake to the point it hurt, literally. Youngjae was so sick of cheesecake he swore that if Daehyun tried to force feed him anymore, he would move to Yongguk and Himchan’s shared bunk to sleep there. That had made Daehyun stop.

Daehyun blinked slowly. “Jaejae, I’m hungry.”

Youngjae almost slapped himself.

---------

So there they were, sitting in a fancy restaurant that Daehyun had chosen. And because Daehyun was such an incapable and demanding guy, Youngjae had to pay for all the expensive food. Of course.

Daehyun signaled to the waiter without even looking at the menu. They had come here enough times with the group, and Daehyun always ordered the same, expensive things. Usually it would have been Yongguk going bankrupt, but now it was Youngjae’s.

Karma, Youngjae, Karma.

“I want a salmon topped carbonara spaghetti, a plate of chicken wings, French fries, a cheesecake, mango pudding,  another plate of-“

Youngjae slammed the table lightly.

“Give me two sets of the cheapest pasta you have,” Youngjae said to the alarmed waiter, with a forced smile, who quickly scuttled away before turning his steely gaze to the pouting Daehyun.

“Jaejae, I wasn’t done ordering!” Daehyun complained.

“I don’t care! I’m not going to pay for your expensive food and, what the hell is with that nickname- Jaejae? It’s not cute!” Youngjae chided.

“What? It’s cute, alright,” Daehyun insisted and began to gulp down the cup of plain water beside him.

“You-“ Youngjae sighed, not wanting to argue with the insistent and stubborn dude.

“Awwwww, someone’s being extra sassy today,” Daehyun cooed and watched as Youngjae’s eyebrows twitch in annoyance. But suddenly something flashed across his orbs and a wicked grin appeared on his previously annoyed face.

“I bought something for you, an early birthday present,” Youngjae literally cackled and pulled out the plastic bag from the accessory store. Daehyun, of course, had no idea what was in store for him and just simply stared at the bag in Youngjae’s hands.

“Food?” he inquired.

“No, stupid,” Youngjae grumbled and pulled out the bright pink bunny hair band. The glitter from the hairband shone from the light and Daehyun’s face contorted with horror.

“Th-that’s for me?” Daehyun’s mouth formed an ‘O’ as he visibly shrunk back into his chair, wanting nothing else but to escape that horrendously ugly piece of… thing.

“Yes, put it on!” Youngjae excitedly shoved the hairband into Daehyun’s hands and watched as Daehyun flung the piece of plastic away.

“No.”

Youngjae had expected that of course, and he knew exactly what would make Daehyun succumb to his evil plan, “Hmm, maybe I should cancel our orders.”

Daehyun squinted at Youngjae- was that threatening him?

Youngjae put up a hand and waved frantically at the waiter and Daehyun hurriedly pulled down his flailing hands. “Alright, alright I’ll wear it! God Youngjae, you’re such a bastard,” Daehyun sighed exasperatedly but then thought to add something, “my cute bastard!”

Youngjae flushed for the third time in the day. “I-you- who’s your bastard?” he cried and slapped both his hands over his face to hopefully block his blushing face. “Wear it!” he added.

He heard a sigh and peeked from the gap in between his middle and pointer finger, and saw Daehyun in his full bunny glory. With a duck shirt and a bunny hairband, everything screamed cute except for the glum expression on Daehyun's face.

Youngjae burst out laughing and fished out his phone, quickly snapping a few photos before Daehyun had the chance to snatch it away. Daehyun frantically pulled the hairband down before he glared at Youngjae. "You, are so dead," he enunciated every word before they ended up trying to snatch the phone away from each other.

-----

The tiring day came to an end and Youngjae was beyond glad. He was happy that he had done his shopping but the horrible memories of his embarrassing experience with Daehyun threw him back into a foul mood.

They currently stood outside their apartment and whilst Youngjae was digging for his keys, Daehyun hugged him for the second time in the day which made Youngjae completely freeze in his movements.

“What are you doing?” Youngjae asked, slowly, as the familiar blush crept onto his face again.

Daehyun sniffed at Youngjae’s hair which smelled like- vanilla heaven.

“You’re really pretty, you know that?” Daehyun asked softly, happy that Youngjae didn't push away from his embrace like he would have in the past.

Youngjae was tongue-tied. He blushed madly and his heart was beating so fast and hard he was sure Daehyun could hear it. It was embarrassing.

“Will you be my-“ Daehyun was cut off as the door suddenly burst open- sending the pair jumping apart from each other. Jongup stood there and dumbly stared at the both of them, unaware of what he had just disturbed.

“Well, aren’t you both gonna come in?” The Chris Brown maniac asked.

“Yes, yes we are,” Daehyun replied and Youngjae could see the teeny bit of frustration in his eyes. Jongup though, merely smiled as usual and stepped aside for the both of them to enter.

“My kids are back!” Himchan cried melodramatically and hugged the both of them whilst Yongguk chuckled in the background. Everyone knew how dramatic Himchan could be and no one bothered to stop him- because anyone who dared would probably be turned into the night’s dinner.

“Hyung! Hyung! Did you remember to buy my cherry tomatoes?” the maknae bounced into the living room and latched himself on Daehyun.

“What do you think?” Daehyun let out a few awkward laughs as he watched Zelo frown, before a devious grin suddenly spreaded on his face. 

"I knew it hyung, that's why me and Jongup ate the two last slices of your cheesecake," Zelo cheekily said and Jongup just stared wide-eyed at the maknae.

"Junhong, you weren't supposed to say that!" Jongup exasperatedly exclaimed as he watched a dangerous expression grow on Daehyun's face. Daehyun squinted at the maknae line and the younger ones took a few steps back before they started to argue with each other.

"But you told me to eat it!" Zelo whispered.

"No, I didn't!"

"Jongup, stop denying it!" 

And suddenly, a booming voice came from the kitchen and disrupted the arguement between Jongup and Zelo who were now on the couch. “HIMCHAN! YOUR SOUP IS ON FIRE!”

Himchan, who was reading a fashion magazine, shrieked as usual and dashed into the kitchen, leaving the pair alone. Daehyun pulled Youngjae into the shared bedroom and closed the door behind them.

“So, I wasn’t done asking my question,” Daehyun drawled and wiggled his eyebrows at Youngjae. Usually when Daehyun did that, Youngjae would’ve responded with a roll of his eyes but this time, knowing what kind of a question it would be, found nothing to say. His mind was completely wiped clean.

“I-I,” Youngjae stuttered and struggled to find something to say, but Daehyun shushed him with a finger to his lips.

“Let me ask my question,” he said softly, “Will you be my boyfriend?”

Youngjae halted- his blank mind became even blanker if that is even possible. His heart though, felt nice. He felt soft and fluffy and light and he thought he would have flown up to the sky if it wasn't for Daehyun’s hands resting over his own. He felt nice- and complete.

“I promise to love you even through your awkwardness, your sassiness, your bad moods, your belly fats- OW!” Daehyun cried as Youngjae hit him on the head. “This is the third time you hit me today! This is assault!”

“What about this?” Youngjae asked shyly and moved in on Daehyun while the older’s eyes widened, before everything stopped and Youngjae settled his lips on Daehyun’s.

Youngjae swore he flew up to the sky right then.

AUTHOR'S NOTES280614

                                                        HAPPY DAEHYUN DAY!