Chasing Tail

Chasing Tail

It’s Saturday, and it’s okay to wake up late. But the alarm doesn’t let him to sleep after 06.30 AM. He flutters his eyes open. The urge to continue his sleep is very strong, but there is something wrong with his left toe. He can feel his left toe is being chewed. He rises from his comfortable bed to see who is chewing his left toe. Then those big brown eyes greet him. Still chewing his toe, this little bundle of white fur resting against his right foot.

A smile creeps into his handsome feature. He draws his arms to pick up the Maltese and snuggles closer.

“Good morning Mandoongie” Changmin greets his little dog. Mandoongie barks to answer his greeting. He scratches behind her ears and she lets out a yelp to appreciate Changmin’s affection.

Changmin looks into her eyes and says “What are we gonna do today? Hmm..?”. Mandoongie just tilts her head to the side, looks like she understand what her master said. Changmin laughs when he is seeing Mandoongie being clueless.

“Let’ s walk to the park” and Mandoongie barks happily.  

Changmin jumps out from the bed and put Mandongie on the floor. He walks to the kitchen and heads to the cupboard where he keep the dog food. His dog is trailing behind him and keeps on barking when he pull out the dog food and fills the bowls. Mandoongie doesn’t let go a second to dig into the bowl for breakfast while Changmin is inspecting his fridge to find something edible for the breakfast.

Finally, he just grabs the cereal and pours his bowl with cold milk. While enjoying his breakfast, his thoughts wanders to the day before. It was a bad day to him. The project he has been working for a week was declined by his boss. ‘It’s still not good enough Changmin ah’ those evil words kept repeating into his head until he decided to get drunk with Kyuhyun after office hours. Until today he still can’t understand what he is lacking. He put all his time, energy and thoughts to this project and he was sure his presentation in front of his boss and other managers is not bad at all. Now he has to figure out a way to make it work.

He became more frustrated when he knew, his top rival, the bloody Kim Heechul left better impression to his boss. This pretty man still needed to fix his project but the way his boss gave him an approving nod made Changmin’s blood boiling. How come this empty headed man did better than him? He still didn’t understand why.

From the moment he stepped on this advertising company, he didn’t like Heechul at all. Until today. Moreover both of them are at the same department, the creative team. Now, they were assigned to a project from the most leading automotive company to make an advertising for their upcoming hybrid car. If the design is approved, they will have the promotion. As the leader of one of the creative team in their department, Changmin has been working really hard. If he gained the promotion, he could deal with Heechul easily. The problem is, Heechul, who is also the leader of one of the creative team, has more experience since he is 2 years senior than Changmin.  Life is not fair, Changmin thinks.

Changmin grumbles under his breath and stands up from his seat. He washes his dishes then heads to the bathroom. He needs to clean himself from the piercing image of Heechul’s smirk in the meeting room yesterday. You’re not winning this Kim Heechul, he hisses under his breath.

The weather is nice. It’s beginning of spring. The sun shines not too really warm but the air is not as cold as winter. The leaves on the tree starts to grow and flowers will bloom in some days. It’s really good time to walk to the park.

Changmin puts Mandoongie in a leash. His little dog walks happily on his left side. The park is only 15 minutes walk from his apartment. In this nice weather there are many people at the park walking their dogs. Changmin frowns then checks his watch. It’s still barely 9 AM, why is it already crowded. He shrugs and continues to walk to the fountain. He put Mandoongie unleashed and she runs away from Changmin. Changmin follows her although she’s not quite fast but he doesn’t want to lose her.

Suddenly there is a loud bark behind him. It shocks him and makes him turn around. Then in a blink of eye there is a big dog running over him. This big dog passes him and goes to the direction of Mandoongie. His heart skips a beat when he sees the big dog is chasing Mandoongie around. She is barking for help and looks terrified. Changmin runs immediately to save his Mandoongie. Mandoongie sees him and runs for life to Changmin’s direction. Changmin scoops Mandoongie to his arms while he is trying to shoo away the big dog which he notice a Siberian Husky. Who the hell is unleashing this beast? Who is the owner? He glares to the Siberian Husky and looks around to find the owner.

“Taepoong!!” A voice of a man appears. Then he sees a man running toward them. This man, Changmin thinks who is the owner, puts a leash to the beast’s neck. Then he tells him to sit. Magically, the dog follows his order obediently and sits like a well mannered dog. The man now is standing in front of Changmin and gives him a blinding smile which can be compared to toothpaste model. He is handsome. Really handsome if Changmin can tell. Bright eyes, cute nose, pouty lips and chiseled jaw. He’s strikingly handsome. And what is the blinding smile. Changmin thinks he can make someone goes blind when he sees a man in front of him smiling. Yes, he is exaggerating things here  and his mind is not at the right place in a moment.

“I’m sorry, Taepoong was chasing your dog earlier. He is such an active dog and can’t sit still just for 15 minutes. I’m sure he didn’t intend to harm your dog.” He said while patting the beast, nope, Taepoong. The said dog is sitting and wriggling his tail. Changmin bets that Taepoong can’t sit for another 10 minutes.

“At least you should put him in a leash so he won’t scare other dogs.” Changmin replies sulkily. He still can’t forgive Taepoong behavior earlier.

“Yes, I  should.” Then he reach out his arm for handshake.”I’m Jung Yunho by the way”. Changmin doesn’t shake his hand automatically. His brain is still processing the words. He doesn’t understand why he acts like a teenage girl. He’s 26 years old for God’s sake!

“Shim Changmin.” Finally he shakes Yunho’s hand. The smile on Yunho’s face goes wider. Changmin is sure Yunho’s cheeks is in pain because his smile literally reaches his eyes. He’s cute when he smiles. What did he just think? The urge to slap his face is strong but he can compose himself to act as an adult in front of Yunho.

“As an apology, I’ll treat you brunch. There is a new coffee shop at the opposite of the park. We can go there if you want.” Yunho the back of his head when he offers Changmin the apology treat. Meanwhile Changmin tries to hide his smile and keeps acting haughty. Hey, he’s the victim here. The victim is not supposed to have crush with the criminal. Wait a minute. A crush? Where did this thought come from?  He’s not having a crush with this Jung y Yunho. Damn! His brain must be damaged by now.

“You bribe me don’t you?”

To Changmin’s surprise, Yunho laughs until his eyes disappear. He smirks at Yunho but Yunho doesn’t notice.

“Well, if you say so. I don’t mind with it”

“But I eat a lot”

“That’s okay. You can eat as much as you want” Changmin promises himself to eat a lot.

“You have a cute dog, what’s her name” Yunho reaches out her hands to pat Mandoongie which now is secured in Changmin’s arm.

“Her name is Mandoongie”

“Well.. Mandoongie, your owner is cute also”

Changmin can feel the blush creeps out from the bottom of his neck to the tip of his ears. He sees Yunho who keeps on patting Mandoongie. Damn Yunho who makes him blush.

“Let’s go now” Yunho says happily while taking Taepoong leash and walks. Changmin still stand on his ground, tries to erase the blush on his face.  Yunho turns around and sees Changmin doesn’t move an inch.

“Changmin-ssi, what’s the matter?” Yunho asks full of concern. Changmin smiles and replies, “Nope, nothing’s wrong” He starts to walks to Yunho and together they go to the nearby coffee shop. Then, Changmin realizes life is quite fair to him.