Chapter 2. Lee Howon

His Love

"I told you to wait for me! Why do you have this annoying of not listening to me huh?!"

 

He said exaggeratingly. He straightened up and stared to my still surprised face.

 

"Hey why won't you answer me? Have you cut your tongue and swallowed it accidentally while I was having my grand entourage?"

 

Still I did not say anything. I just ran towards him and gave him probably my thousandth hug for that day.

"YAH WHY ARE YOU SUDDENLY HUGGING ME. MY CLOTHES WILL BE WRINKLED-

He wasn't able to continue what he was going to say because I satrted to cry. Not the silent cries wherein tears are just freely flowing, NO. I cried like a lonely wolf in the night. How ironic that when I was with my family minutes ago, I still managed to hold back my tears, but when it comes to this guy, REALLY THIS GUY, I cry like a baby asking for milk.

 

Suddenly I was brought back to two years ago. A day before my entrace exam for the Hakusen University. As I can recall, it was a rainy night. I decided not to review that night so that my mind will not be tired tomorrow. I checked the clock and it was just 8:15 pm.

Just then my phone suddenly vibrated indicating that I received a message.

 

*Yah fat face sleep now! You don't want to embarass yourself tomorrow and let the whole population of Seoul know that you are a pabo. Okay?! SLEEP!

 

I don't need to reply. I closed my lampshade and let myself sleep with a smile on my face.

 

~gireul barkhyeojwo ije wonteun maldeun seontaegeun kkeutnasseo naui jeonbureul da geolgesseo

jikyeo nael geoya eotteon eoryeoun yeojeongi doenda haedo

nan neo bakken an boinda~

 

What?! I was suddenly awaken. Who in the right mind would call at the middle of the night? Before answering the call, I checked my desk clock, 10:45 pm.

Great. I have a strong feeling who was on the other line.

"YAH STUPID I THOUGHT I NEED TO SLEEP SO WHY-"

I was cut off with an unfamiliar voice.

"Excuse me, are you a friend of Mr. Lee Howon?"

I don't even know what the reason is, but I suddenly felt scared.

" Sorry for shouting, I thought, I thought it was him. Again I apologized for my outburst"

 

I was stammering. My hands were shaking. Then she said the news that made me feel numbed for a moment.

 

"Its okay but I need you to go to Busan Central Hospital. He was caught in an accident. I'll explain the details later, you were the one contacted since you are the last one on his logs. He is currently in the emergency room.-

 

"Okay. I'll be there."

 

I did not let her finish and in a flash I went out of the room and awaken my dad. In a rush I told him what I can say. Through tears and sobs I told them that we should hurry.

 

"DAD HE'S IN THE E.R.!"

 

I can't remember the details on how we reached the hospital. Suddenly his family was there. I think my mom called them. I felt like an eternity already passed when the doctor came out.

His dad was the fastest to reach the doctor.

 

"He's safe from any harm. You can see him later. But he will still be asleep, probably he will be awaken tomorrow."

 

I wasn't aware that I was holding my breath, after the doctor had spoken I felt like a big boulder was lifted from my shoulders.

 

I stayed in the hospital the whole night. When everyone was calmed down, I was finally informed of the details. His mom was the one who told me.

 

It was 9:30 pm, he suddenly said that he needes to buy something. Auntie said that he was muttering about someone who might be stupid enough to forget to bring her own pen for the exam.

 

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Really stupid.

 

It was rainy so he brought his favourite purple umbrella. It was already 10:30 pm and yet he wasn't home. That's when they started to get worried. So when they received the call, Auntie was beside the home telephone and her cellphone held in her hands, prepared to answer any call that might suddenly occur, but apparently she was not prepared to hear that her second child was brought to the E.R.

 

The policemen said that according to the witnesses he just came out from a bookstore and was waiting for the traffic light to indicate the green sign for the street crossers. Together with the other pedestrians he crossed the street, then suddenly a speeding car went his direction.

 

I cant bear to hear any of that. So I closed my eyes. But that was a great mistake, all I could was him lying helplessly and covered with his own blood on the side of the road.

 

His mom held my hand. I was surprised when she placed a ruined paper bag on my hands.

 

"They found this. They said that he was clutching this tightly on his chest, thinking that he should protect the contents inside. I haven't opened it, but I feel that its for you."

 

Like a stupid person that I was, I can't find the right words to tell his mom. I did not even dare to look at her anymore.

 

"It's alright, it's not your fault and after all he's safe now."

 

Still I can't face her. I managed to mumble some I'm sorries. She stood up and gave me an embrace then she left me alone. Alone with the wet and ruined paper bag.

With trembling hands, I pried the bag open. Inside was a pen. It looked weird, it's green and had a frog's head on top. Then I noticed that there was also a card. It's the usual good-luck card that can be bought in the book store, but inside, I can see his pretty handwritting, prettier than mine.

 

-Lee Jungmin=Pabo. I know that you will be really nervous tomorrow 'cause you are a complete pabo. So bought this pen for you as goodluck charm, Mr. Froggy will kroak all your fears away, and since it came from me, I hope even 0.5% of my awesomeness and intelligence will be imparted to you! MINNY-PABO FIGHTING-

 

After reading the note, a laugh escaped my trembling lips, while my cheeks are soaked with my endless tears.

 

Who's pabo now, pabo? He even used a voilet pen.

 

The next morning when he woke up and saw me beside his hospital bed, the first thing that he blurted out was not like the movie lines that we know, not the "where am I", not the "what am I doing here", not even the cliché line, "who am I". No, Lee Howon being the he is, said this with his voice still cracking but his iness evident.

 

"Yuck. What's with that terrible eyebags? Have the cockroaches all over the world converged and decided to feast on your eyes?"

 

Then he laughed with his own joke. We were only ones in the room for his family decided to get him his things and to change their clothes. He looked around and he was about to say something when he his eyes suddenly went wide and he looked like he swallowed a bad egg. He was staring at the wall clock, disbelief all over his face. It's 10:00 am.

 

I thought here comes the realization that he is in the hospital and currently he has a broken leg and three stiches on his head.

 

"Wait here I'll call the doctor and then explain-"

 

I wasn't able to continue what I was saying because the stupid guy who caught himself in an accident just after buying a ridiculous pen and who happend to be my bestfriend for as long as I can remember, started shouting and wriggling on his bed.

 

"LEE JUNGMIN CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ARE YOU HERE STARING AT ME LIKE YOU'RE THE DUMBEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE WHEN IN FACT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE YOUR EXAM, IN SEOUL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, NOW TELL ME HOW CAN YOU GO THERE? IT'S 10 AM ALREADY. THE EXAM IS STARTING AND YOU ARE HERE?! WHAT KIND OF STUPIDITY IS THIS?!"

 

I was about to answer his question calmly, someone should atleast be mature and of course it is not the baby throwing tantrums on the bed.

 

"You see-"

 

Then he shouted again.

 

"DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME THAT YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT ME?! YOU CAN PERFECTLY SEE THAT I'M FINE! NO! I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT! YOU PREPARED FOR THAT EXAM! WE CANCELLED OUR 18TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION FOR THIS! WE DID NOT JOIN MY FAMILY'S TRIP TO JAPAN, WE BOTH KNOW HOW WE LOVE TO SEE JAPAN! BUT WE CANCELLED BECAUSE YOU NEED TO REVIEW AND BECAUSE I'M SO A FABULOUS FRIEND I HELPED YOU REVIEWED! I WISH YOU COULD FEEL HOW UPSET I AM!"

He stopped and continued glaring me. I know he's upset, I'm upset too. But how can he expect me to still take the exam while I know that he's in tje hosital because of me. I was about to tell him what I feel, but then he spoke again, this time calmer but still the anger is there.

"Why?.I know it's your dream. No, it's our dream.”