Tic Toc, Tic Toc...

Air Castle

Tuesday, 3:58PM
22 May      

I could hear the seconds ticking away in my mind. I had gotten to the park earlier than I usually do in hopes of seeing Suhoon again. I practiced saying his name over and over for the next time we would meet. I knew for sure that we would see each other another time.

I glanced around, but all I could find were benches, trees, and children playing with a plastic ball while their sunglass-wearing parents gossiped to one another.

I tugged on Fibi’s leash, her weight pulling against me. She was interested in the boy with an abandoned diaper.

I wandered the area some more, thinking that he might also be travelling through the park. I passed the kids, their parents, the birds scuffling for the last piece of bread, and the branch that looked like it could snap at any moment from the leaning tree.

I obsessively checked the time on my phone. I couldn’t help but keep thinking that I came too early or that I came too late or that I came and he didn’t. He was walking his friend’s dog, after all. It’s the kind of thing that you do once to get some open air and be done with.

I pulled down the bottom of my blouse, inspecting my clothes for even a speck of dust. Maybe I was doing too much, but it was good to make a favorable impression, even if it wasn’t going to be our first meeting.

However, there may not be another appearance from the mysterious Suhoon at all.

I walked further, keeping my head up while trying not to trip. I expected Fibi to be my Seeing Eye Cat. It was a first that she would actually follow my trust in her. I haven’t even stumbled.

I breathed out rather loudly. It was possible he would hear me and turn around to spot me. He might even call out my name.

I searched for one more hour before giving up.

I would think about trying again tomorrow before I dropped him altogether.