A Place For My Head

A Place For My Head

The heat of the day is sweltering, the sun beating down on Jongin’s back unforgivingly and he dips into the shadows of an alley to ease the burn.  He watches as people pass him by, strolling down the sidewalk in clusters and wandering into air conditioned shops that don’t want his kind sneaking in for a reprieve from the elements.

Jongin’s tail is tucked in his pants to stay out of view, but there’s nothing he can do for his ears.  They’re chocolate brown against his black hair and a dead giveaway that he’s of the canine hybrid variety and not a human.  He’d found a hat once, pushing it down over his ears, but they were sore by the end of the day and he decided the extra cover wasn’t worth it.

A small family walks past and Jongin’s eyes fall on the ice cream cones in their hands.  His stomach gurgles painfully and he clutches a hand over it, balling his fist in his shirt and stepping back.  It was an unnecessary move because no one saw him anyway.  It’s been the same for years and Jongin is used to being ignored, to people passing without giving the dog laying curled up in the corner of an alley or taking shelter under an awning during a deluge a second glance.

It took a long time after Jongin was forcibly removed from the only home he’d ever known to learn that he isn’t the type of pet people love.  And if no one wanted him when he was a puppy - learning to find food amongst the scraps left behind restaurants in dumpsters and hunting down suitable places to sleep while keeping warm - then certainly no one wants him now that he’s grown.

Jongin’s been doing this for years, but sometimes the cards are stacked against him more than others.  This summer is the worst, far hotter than any before and his skin is burnt and peeling where holes have worn through his shirt and his pants have now become shorts, ripped off at the knees with too long nails.  He’s covered in dirt and grime and his hair is long enough to tangle in knots down his back.

He’s forgotten what happiness is, what comfort is.

There’s a park nearby and Jongin makes his way there, slipping out of the alley to mix with the people so he doesn’t attract attention.  It’s only a few blocks away, but he’s dizzy by the time he sees the tree line by the park entrance.  There’s shade there, and water from the pond.  It’s not so bad once he got used to swallowing the occasional slimy bits of algae.

Jongin regrets venturing out, but he can’t help it.  He’s drawn to people.  He wants one of his own to love, to keep safe and curl up with at night.  He’s seen plenty of his kind with collars buckled around their necks and a human or two at their side.  They’re the only ones who ever seem to notice him and their sad looks are always short-lived as they’re led away.

Jongin keeps to the edges, skirting around families sitting in the shade for a picnic and kids as they dart around the playground.  By the time he makes it to the small trail through the trees that leads to the pond, Jongin is panting and he’s drenched in sweat.  He blinks to clear his vision, but everything is in doubles, triples before his eyes close.  Jongin crumples to the ground.




Something is touching him.  It moves over his forehead and to his neck, pressing against his pulse.  Jongin realizes that this something is a someone and tries to jerk back.  He whines, eyes cracking open to see a worried face swimming in front of him.  The hand retreats and Jongin lifts his head when a water bottle is presented to him.  It’s cold and so much smoother, refreshing than the pond water.  He gulps down a few swallows before his head falls back to the ground.

Jongin doesn’t have the strength to flinch when fingers through his hair, thumb sweeping around the edge of his ear.  It’s been a long time since anyone’s touched him, let alone pet him and Jongin’s tail tries to wag even though it’s still trapped in his shorts.

“Is there someone I can call?  Someone who takes care of you?” the man asks.

Jongin’s tail abruptly stops and he tries to pull into himself, legs to his chest as he shakes his head.  When he feels arms pulling at him, dragging his weight from the dirt, Jongin startles and fights out of instinct.  He hears the man speaking in a low, comforting tone and it calms his racing heart a little and he stops pushing away and lets himself be hauled upward.  It sends a fresh wave of dizziness through him and he clings, fingers twisting in a shirt as his legs threaten to buckle.

He’s still overheated and every move has his eyes closing as sweat itches over his skin, washing dirt away in trails.  “Come on,” the stranger urges softly.  “I’m going to take you someplace safe.”

It’s not as if Jongin has much of a choice and he allows himself to be pulled along, taken across the grass to the parking lot.  He can’t remember ever being in a car before and he slumps over the back seat, nose pushed into the upholstery.  It smells clean, unnatural and his nose wrinkles, but when the car starts moving with a lurch, there’s air conditioning and that is something Jongin enjoys.  He can feel himself cooling off, the heat abating enough for the dizziness to ebb although his stomach doesn’t take to driving very well.

Jongin groans, arms around his middle as he drags in crisp air through chapped lips to calm the roiling.

“We’ll be there soon,” he hears from the front seat.

Jongin swallows down his whines, keeping his eyes screwed shut because that helps a little.  By the time the vehicle comes to a stop, his stomach isn’t nearly as bad.  He’s still off balance when he’s guided out of the car, leaning on the man beside him heavily.

There are so many new smells, Jongin’s nose perking up to take in the odor of humans and animals all mixed together.  It’s new and a bit confusing.  The building he’s taken to is large and Jongin can’t read the sign over the doors, but he can guess where they are.  Shelters never took a liking to him.  He was always too skittish around people, too old to be adopted and Jongin stopped trying to find a home in one years ago.

This one, he deduces, won’t be any different.

“Sehun,” booms a deep voice and Jongin jolts, prepared to run if not for the hand tightening around his waist to keep him walking.  Strangers have never been kind to Jongin and one being nice to him is luck, but two would be impossible.  It leaves Jongin to reason that this new person, someone tall and broad with hands already reaching out to steady him, won’t treat him well.  He tries to withdraw, feeling far too trapped inside with people he doesn’t know.

“It’s ok,” he hears the new man whisper, his voice soothing and the next time he reaches for Jongin, it’s slowly and his fingers are gentle around his arms.  “No one is going to hurt you.”

Jongin goes slack, but not because he’s convinced.  He’s exhausted still, his energy depleted and body deprived of food.  What little strength he had has been spent and he can only hope these men are true to their word.  They take him through a pair of double doors and down a hall that smells of cleaning chemicals masking the odor of dozens of other animals.  Jongin whimpers in their grip, curling his knees to his chest when they release him, his back to the corner and eyes darting around the small room.

“Can you stay in here with him?” the employee asks and he sees the other man nodding.  “I’m going to get Kris.”

As soon as he’s out of the room, the man who brought Jongin here kneels by the side of the small cot he’s on and gives him a soft smile that looks a bit misplaced on his sharp features.  His once styled blond hair has fallen with the heat, strands now threatening to cover his warm eyes and Jongin focuses on them instead of the uneasiness in his bones.  “Do you have a name?”

Jongin nods, but doesn’t speak.

“I’m Sehun,” he introduces.  “And that big guy was Chanyeol, my friend.”

It takes him a minute to gather the courage and he lifts his head enough to show his face from behind his legs when he speaks.  “Jongin,” he says quietly, his voice raspy from disuse.  Being alone doesn’t give one much use to talk and Jongin’s said very little since he was a puppy.

Sehun beams at him.  “It’s nice to meet you, Jongin.”

Jongin’s stomach gives a loud gurgle and he buries his face again, arms tightening around his legs in embarrassment.

“We’re going to have someone look over you and then I promise you can eat, alright?”

Jongin feels his tail beginning to stir at the prospect of a meal and a bit of his nervousness abates.  So far, no one has done anything to harm him.  He still doesn’t talk, but he does look at Sehun when he nods again.

It’s not long before the door opens and Jongin watches as someone even taller than Chanyeol strides over.  He has on one of those white lab coats with a shiny nametag over the pocket - the kind Jongin’s seen on shelter doctors.  But what’s the most surprising is that this doctor with his crisp clothes and stern look, is a dog just like Jongin.  His ears are golden to match his hair and Jongin wagers they’re the same shade as the tail hidden under his coat.

He walks over to Jongin slowly, eyes watching him closely but Jongin is still too starstruck to move.  He sits on the end of the cot, long legs folded under him.  “Do you know where you are?” he begins, keeping his voice low so as to not startle him.  Jongin nods.  “Do you know who I am?”  Jongin nods again, once.  The doctor leans forward slowly, his fingers pointing at the tag on his labcoat.  “Do you know what this says?”

This time Jongin shakes his head.

“Am I too far away?”

Jongin raises his head so his voice isn’t muffled.  “Can’t read,” he answers and then tucks himself away again, afraid and embarrassed and shivering because the cool air is starting to feel too cold against his sunburn.

“It says my name is Kris,” he responds.  “And I would very much like to take a quick look over you to make sure you’re healthy.  Is it alright if I do that?”

Jongin’s teeth catch on a patch of dry skin peeling off his lower lip and his eyes dart over to Sehun who gives him a small nod.  So Jongin gives a nod of his own.

“Would you like Sehun to stay in the room with you?”

Jongin may have just met Sehun, but he’s the first person who’s shown him an ounce of kindness and that has Jongin seeking him out as a familiar presence.  It’s silly and he knows Sehun is just going to leave after, but having someone there for him is what he’s always wanted.  He’s slow in answering, but his nod is enough.

Chanyeol leaves and it’s just the three of them.  Kris stands and holds out his hands.  Jongin unfolds himself, hissing at the pain in his muscles and takes Kris’ hands as support to aid him in standing.  His legs shake, but he manages to keep his own weight, shuffling toward the paper covered table on the other side of the room.  As soon as Jongin sits on it, with a little help from Kris, Sehun is at his side.

It feels nice and Jongin’s tail flops once.

Jongin remembers the doctor at the last shelter he was in - a portly man with thick fingers who prodded too much for Jongin’s liking.  Kris’ fingers are long but thin, and aren’t nearly as rough when he moves Jongin how he needs him.  He’s careful to explain to Jongin everything he’s doing, a constant stream of words flooding the silence as Jongin blinks away the bright lights in his eyes.

He jolts when Kris peels off his shirt and a shivers runs a path down his spine.  It may not have been much, but that shirt was a barrier of sorts and now he feels exposed, unable to even look at Sehun even if he knows he’s still at his side.  The latex gloves Kris is wearing rub unpleasantly on Jongin’s burnt skin and he whines, trying to pull away.

Kris moves to his tail next, then his hair.  It pulls and he winces with each catch of Kris’ fingers.  “Jongin, I need to be able to check for fleas and lice and I can’t because your hair is knotted too much.  Would it be alright to cut it?  Just enough to see what I need to.”

Jongin’s not sentimentally attached to his hair, so he doesn’t hesitate to give him permission.  It still doesn’t keep him from eyeing the scissors in Kris’ grasp.  His hands ball in the paper covering over the table and Jongin feels his fist being pried open and Sehun’s fingers slipping through.  His head snaps in Sehun’s direction, unable to thank him with more than teary eyes and a squeeze when he feels the tug of the scissors in his hair.

It feels odd not to have that added weight on the back of his head and Jongin peers down at the clippings, nose scrunching at what appears to be a black mass of tangles and leaves.  Kris sifts through the remaining strands, taking care around Jongin’s ears, but even the slightest touch against them has his tail coming to life.

Kris seems to notice and over them gently as Jongin sighs and the tension bleeds from his shoulders.  Unwittingly, his eyes begin to slip shut and Jongin slumps to the side, jerking back upright and awake when he tilts too far.  Both Sehun and Kris are amused while Jongin burns with embarrassment.

“You can lay down now if you want,” Kris tells him a minute later.

Jongin looks at the table, then at Sehun who gives him a small, encouraging smile.  The paper is loud when Jongin moves and he tears through most of it trying to get settled.  It’s too soft, unlike the ground in the forest and he hears the air conditioning humming instead of the breeze blowing through the leaves.

Kris and Sehun walk out of his sight, but he can still hear their hushed conversation from across the room.  Jongin knew it was coming, knew it was useless getting his hopes up, but hearing Kris explain to Sehun that Jongin wouldn’t have a place at the shelter because he was too old and they’re already over capacity makes Jongin’s tail wedge between his legs as he curls into a ball.

What was the point of bringing him here if all they’re going to do is send him back out?  

He tunes out the rest, guilt nudging at him for what he’d already overheard.  It’s not polite to snoop, although it still hurts.  Jongin's nails dig into his palms and he tries not to let the ache in his chest bubble up into a sob.  He wonders if he can at least get Sehun to drop him back off at the park.  Sometimes the people there could be cruel and throw things at him to get him away from the more populated areas and he’d had to adapt to sleeping with sticks underneath his body, but at least he was familiar with the threats.

It seems forever before the two of them come back over and Jongin’s had ample time to steel himself, to keep a stiff upper lip when they inevitably tell him that there’s no room for him.  He lifts, bracing his weight with one arm while reaching for his discarded shirt on the small metal tray beside the bed.  He wrestles it over his head, grimacing when he hears another light tear in the fabric to add to the others.

“Jongin?” Sehun calls, voice barely over a whisper and Jongin flinches when he feels the warmth of Sehun’s palm on his knee.  He blinks up at the man in front of him, wondering how he feels knowing he’s just wasted a perfectly good afternoon on a creature as hopeless as Jongin.

Jongin’s heart hammers in his chest, his stomach tied in a labyrinth of knots as he awaits the news.  His ears are limp, tail coiled back inside the leg of his shorts.  He’s ready to go.

“Jongin, would you like to come home with me?”

Jongin was prepared for one of a dozen reasons to be tossed out as to why he can’t stay and possibly another half dozen to explain that he is undesirable as a pet.  He was even prepared to take it all silently and allow himself to be let down for the thousandth time.

What he wasn’t prepared for is a lifeline being dangled in his face.

“Wh-what?” he chokes out, eyes wide and darting between Kris and Sehun.

Kris is grinning as he reaches up with a large hand to smooth over the fur of Jongin’s left ear.  “I can’t in good conscience send you back out there and Sehun is a good man.  We believe it would be in your best interest to stay with him, but it’s your decision.”

Jongin sits in disbelief, staring at a fixed point on the wall over both their shoulders.  His chest is heavy, his breathing shaky and he can’t stop his eyes from watering.  “A home?” he mumbles, an unfamiliar flare of hope daring to spark the tiniest of lights at the end of the tunnel.

Sehun smiles and Jongin is drawn to it.  “If you want one, mine is open to you.”

Jongin tries to choke down a sob, but it comes out anyway.  He pushes his palms against his eyes and hiccups back the next sob.  Kris’ hand moves to Jongin’s back, trying to calm him, but Jongin shrinks down, shoulders hunched as he attempts to curl into as small a target as he can.

Jongin presses against his eyes until they stop stinging, his arms slowly dropping to see a blurry Sehun still standing in front of him and looking nervous.  “Will you let me take care of you?”

Several tears fall at once when Jongin nods, unable to keep the smile from pulling up on his lips.




 

Jongin shuffles inside Sehun’s apartment slowly, head down and fingers twisted tight in the hem of his shirt as he chews his lip.  From what he can see, the place is a lot cleaner than he is and he doesn’t want to get anything dirty.

“Come on,” Sehun urges gently, a hand resting on Jongin’s lower back to guide him forward.

Jongin can hear the bag in Sehun’s hand crinkle and he flushes, still feeling guilty at the number of items Sehun had been required to purchase in order to take care of him.  He already feels like a burden and they’ve only just started.

Sehun’s bathroom is cluttered but clean, and Jongin stands awkwardly on the rug, toes curling into the soft blue threads while Sehun starts running a bath.  “A shower would be ideal,” Sehun sighs with a light smile, “but we’ll start small.”

Sehun is more than Jongin could have asked for, turning his back for Jongin to strip off the scraps of clothing he owns and climb in the still filling tub.  The water is warmer than he’s used to and it burns where he’s sunburnt, but Jongin slips in despite the urge to bolt.  He stares down at white bubbles frothing over the surface, hesitantly poking at one of the larger ones until it pops.  Jongin smiles.

“Can I turn around?”

Jongin nods before realizing Sehun can’t see and utters a, “yes,” just loud enough to be heard over the running water.  He pulls his legs up and watches as Sehun settles on his knees by the tub, waiting a bit longer before turning off the tap.

“You like the bubbles?” Sehun asks and Jongin is embarrassed at being caught watching the way they float away on the air when he scoops them up.  But he nods anyway and the smile Sehun gives him has Jongin’s stomach flipping over on itself.  “This soap is for sensitive skin, so it shouldn’t irritate you.”

Sehun grabs another bottle out of the bag.  “And this is for your hair and fur.”

Jongin is on the verge of freaking out as Sehun scrubs him down from head to toe, graciously turning away so Jongin can take care of his more private areas on his own, but leaving no other part of him untouched.  The water is brown by the time they’re finished, Jongin’s skin stinging in several patches and he wonders if this is what clean feels like.  It’s been so long.

Jongin feels like a drowned rat when he gets out of the tub, nearly falling twice and having to grab the back of Sehun’s shirt once to not land on the floor.  He uses the towel Sehun gave him to dry off, wrapping it around his waist before making a small noise to let Sehun know he can turn around.

There’s another towel in Sehun’s hands and he rubs it over Jongin’s hair and ears, his movements gentle as Jongin tries to shrink down.  Sehun beams at him, eyes crinkled and head tilted.  “So there’s a puppy under all that dirt after all,” he teases.  “Now let’s do something about your hair while it’s still wet.”

Jongin grips the sides of the toilet seat until he’s white-knuckled as Sehun stands over him with a pair of scissors, clipping strands of hair one chunk at a time.  He flinches with each cut, staring at the floor with his fingers balled in the towel.

Sehun tousles Jongin's hair playfully when he's finished, nails scratching over Jongin's scalp and around the base of his ears a few times.  Jongin can't help leaning in to it, eyelids drooping and tail hitting against the side of the tub.  "You must have been out there a long time," Sehun mumbles, seemingly to himself but Jongin hears and nods.

Sehun crouches in front of Jongin, hands running down to cup his face.  "I'm new at this whole thing," Sehun admits, the pink dusted across his cheeks almost light enough to go unnoticed except Jongin is studying him closely.  "If I do something wrong, you have to let me know, alright?"

Jongin nods and Sehun's smile widens.  "Great, now let's get this aloe on your burns so they heal."


 


Jongin’s been gazing at himself through distorted reflections in glass for far too long; he doesn’t even recognize the face staring back at him.  It’s unsettling and he slinks away from the mirror with soft footsteps, trying to remain unheard.

The clothes Jongin wears smell like Sehun.  He keeps running the collar of the shirt up to his nose and inhaling before letting the fabric drop back into place.  Sehun had mentioned going out to get Jongin his own clothing, but for now, Jongin is only too happy to wear Sehun’s.  It gives him a sense of belonging, of being wanted even if it’s not meant to be.

Still, it’s been half a day and Jongin is in danger of becoming attached.

There's a part of Jongin that wants to run away, dive back into the world that he knows because he's afraid.  What if he does get attached and Sehun decides he doesn't want him after all?  What if Jongin does something that makes Sehun angry?  Disappointed?  What if Sehun only took him in out of pity and he runs out of patience?

Sehun seems so nice and accomodating and Jongin doesn't want to take advantage of it, but he's been craving a home for so long that he can't help being drawn in.  When Sehun smiles, Jongin's tail betrays him with a wag and his ears perk up because he's happy simply to be acknowledged.

Jongin's stomach reminds Sehun that he still hasn't eaten and Jongin colors a deep red when Sehun scrambles into the kitchen to make something quick and easy.  He pokes his head into the kitchen, fingers tight on the doorframe as he watches Sehun tap his fingers on the countertop, waiting for the microwave.

Truthfully, Jongin doesn't taste any of it on the way down - a habit from living in the wild where it's a lot better to not think about what the food is.  But he gives Sehun a nod when he asks if it was good.




 

Jongin spends his first night in Sehun's home on the floor, rolling off the couch Sehun had told him he could use and burying his face in the soft blanket to calm him.  He's in an unfamiliar place, surrounded by scents he hasn't acclimated to yet and his every nerve is on edge.  But still, after going through so much in such a short amount of time, Jongin falls asleep despite his anxiety.  His body is too worn out and the weight of the day finally takes its toll.

He sleeps until he hears someone call out for him.  When Jongin wakes, his first instinct is to take cover under the coffee table close to him, but he looks up to find Sehun staring down at him and clutches the blanket closer to his chest.

Instead of being scolded like he expected, Sehun bends down and ruffles Jongin's hair with both hands, fingers lingering around his ears long enough to have Jongin relaxing.  He also takes notice of how his tail is trapped between his back and the floor and rolls to the side to free it.

"You hungry?" Sehun asks as he stands, holding out a hand to help Jongin off the floor.  "I don't have time to do much before I have to leave for work, but I'd like you to get a feel for the kitchen."

Jongin keeps a safe distance from Sehun, following him to the kitchen and realizing, for the first time, that he's going to be left alone.  Of course Sehun would have a job - like most humans.  Jongin's never kept up with days of the week, but he's watched human patterns enough to know that most of them work five days in a row and then spend two off.  Judging by the number of people in the park when Sehun found Jongin, it was probably the second day off.

Jongin listens as Sehun pulls out several packages of food he can eat during the day without having to use the stove or microwave - a lesson for another time - and shows him where the cups are.  Sehun whips up a quick breakfast and inhales it before he's rushing to put on his shoes.

Jongin wants to ask him to stay, to plead with him not to leave him alone, but he holds his tongue.  Sehun leaves after one last scratch around Jongin's ears and the sound of the door shutting behind him has Jongin whining.

It's absurd.  The anxiety that eats at him is pointless because Jongin knows Sehun is coming back; it's his house.  And yet Jongin watches the door, eyes glued to the knob as if daring it to twist and open so Sehun can walk back in.

This feeling of abandonment won't leave and Jongin spends his day waiting and napping with his blanket.  He's rubbing at his sore eyes when he hears footsteps approaching, ears perking up as they slow and stop outside the door.  Jongin is sitting in front of the door by the time Sehun gets it unlocked and swings it open.

There's a large, fluffy looking . . . thing in Sehun's arms and Jongin peers at it curiously as Sehun walks in, kicking the door shut with his foot.

"You like it?" Sehun asks.  "It's a bed for you."

Carefully following Sehun, Jongin watches as he sets the bed down in the corner of the living room and turns to beam at Jongin.

"Try it."

It's really soft and Jongin sinks into the cushion as soon as he sits on it.  It makes him smile and Sehun seems pleased.

"Thank you," Jongin says, reveling in how nice it feels.

"This is your home now, too," Sehun answers and Jongin rolls to hide the smile threatening to crack his face.




 

It's been a week and Jongin is finally starting to crawl out of his shell.  He speaks more - something that Sehun likes to encourage, poking and prodding so Jongin keeps talking instead of clamming back up.  But it doesn't take long for Jongin to run out of things to say.  It's not as if there's a lot that’s gone on in his life.

Sehun enjoys petting Jongin and after finally convincing him to lay down with him on the couch, Jongin discovers the wonders of getting his tummy rubbed.  He'd been embarrassed when his leg kicked out, but Sehun had called it endearing and made it his mission to make Jongin do it again.

Jongin basks in the attention when Sehun is home and misses him when he's gone.

Jongin has a pile of chew toys that Sehun brought home one evening that he keeps in his bed.  But Jongin inevitably grows bored of them after they're sufficiently gnawed and finds himself staring at the rays of sun through the curtains, daring only to peek through them once as he awaits Sehun's return home.  He spends the rest of the afternoon watching dust motes dance in the air.

He isn't so brazen as to touch any of Sehun's things, preferring to keep his presence to a minimum so Sehun doesn't get upset.  He even goes so far as to keep to the area around his bed and the path he makes to the front door so he doesn't get fur everywhere.  The idea of Sehun having to do more work to clean up after him leaves a bad taste in Jongin's mouth.

When Sehun comes home, Jongin is dutifully waiting and doesn't hesitate to lean in when Sehun crouches to give him a nice scratching around his ears.  Jongin's tail sweeps lazily across the floor and he nearly topples over when Sehun leaves, a laugh ringing in his ears as Jongin catches himself.

Jongin thinks about asking Sehun for more - maybe teach him how to use the remote for the television or take him out of the house for some fresh air because being cooped up inside all day makes him antsy.  But then he remembers everything that Sehun has done for him already and the words die in his throat.  He doesn’t want to be a burden and he doesn’t want to do anything to make himself unwelcome.

It’s not as if he’s entirely unsatisfied; it’s just that while the canine part of him is mollified, the human part is left wanting.  He couldn’t ask for anyone better to take care of him.  Sehun cooks for him, pets him all the time and even works to get Jongin to open up.  It’s more than he could have hoped for.  So he keeps his mouth shut and thanks Sehun for dinner, grinning even with food in his mouth when Sehun scoops more onto his plate.




Sehun leaves food out for Jongin during the day - usually something he just needs to open and eat straight from the package, but when Sehun is home, Jongin is allowed to poke around and pull out anything that looks interesting.  Jongin blames his curiosity and wonders if there’s feline blood in his ancestry.

The jar seems innocuous and the substance inside smells divine.  Sehun told him it was peanut butter and Jongin fills a spoon with it and pops it in his mouth with a smile.  His tail hits against the chair leg happily and that first taste is a little bit of heaven.  He groans, eyes closing as he slumps in the chair to enjoy his snack.  He pulls out the spoon and lets it sit on the table, moving the peanut butter around in his mouth.

And then, of course, things take a dramatic turn.  The peanut butter sticks to the roof of Jongin’s mouth and he pushes at it with his tongue, trying to scrape it off.  But it doesn’t budge.  He whines, trying to wiggle the tip of his tongue underneath the gooey treat and gets increasingly upset when it fails.  He rocks in the chair, eventually falling out of it completely.

Jongin ends up on his back, staring at the ceiling, but too preoccupied to move.  It’s as if the peanut butter has adhered itself to the most annoying place in his mouth and Jongin hates it.  He whines, wiggling on the floor as he makes attempt after attempt to pry it off only to face his fate and simply at it until it’s gone.

That’s how Sehun finds him ten minutes later as Jongin looks up at him with a pout.  Jongin tries to explain himself, but there’s peanut butter impeding his speech and he flushes, opting to squeeze his tail between his legs and tuck his ears down with a frown.

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asks, his brow scrunched in worry.  Jongin points to the jar still sitting on the table and Sehun’s eyes widen in realization.  Jongin was expecting help, perhaps some way of helping him get the peanut butter off without having to away every single later, but all Sehun does is laugh.  Sehun laughs loud and hard and Jongin scrambles under the table to hide in shame as he steadfastly swallows down the neverending taste of peanut butter.

“You are so cute,” Sehun coos from his spot on the floor and Jongin mopes for the rest of the afternoon.




There’s something to be said of the simple pleasures of a lazy weekend morning.  Jongin enjoys watching the way Sehun putters around the house half asleep with a smile on his face that widens when he spies Jongin.  Jongin finds himself staring at Sehun in wonder, still in disbelief that Sehun wants him and hasn’t kicked him out yet.  He’d mistaken one of Sehun’s loafers for a chew toy the day before and had been so certain that Sehun was going to yell at him.  But all he’d gotten was a sigh and a pat on the head as Sehun locked all his shoes in his bedroom closet.

This Saturday morning is a little different.  They’re expecting company and Jongin is both eager and anxious, afraid of people yet drawn to them.  Sehun told him it was only Chanyeol coming to visit along with his cat Tao, so there was nothing to worry about.  But the only experience Jongin has with cats are the feral ones who sometimes wandered through the park and hissed and scratched at him.  He only hopes Tao is more calm.

The doorbell rings and Jongin sits up, hands folding in his lap and ears perked atop his head as he awaits their guests with barely contained enthusiasm.  Dogs are social creatures and to have been cooped up and only in Sehun’s company for the last few weeks, Jongin’s a little stir crazy.

Chanyeol is who he smells first, thankful that his scent is less antiseptic and more natural than it was before.  It’s the second person he smells that’s unfamiliar and he tries not to be obvious about sniffing when he hears the trio approaching.  Chanyeol comes into view first, followed by Sehun, but what draws Jongin’s attention is the tall feline hybrid that slips through the small gap between them to stand in the doorway.  His eyes sweep over Jongin where he sits in the recliner, his tail tucked around his waist so he doesn’t get fur all over it.

Jongin digs his nails in his pants to keep from jumping up to investigate.  Tao blinks at him noncommittally, but his ears twitch in fascination and Jongin sits up straighter.  His teeth sink into his lower lip and his feet tap impatiently on the floor and he can feel the way Sehun stares at him so he stays put.  He doesn’t want to mess up.

There is a tense half minute pause where Chanyeol and Sehun seem to collectively hold their breath as they watch Tao and Jongin.  Jongin’s eyes are wide, directed on the well dressed cat who ends up opting not to sit on the empty couch, but directly on Jongin instead.  His head nuzzles into Jongin’s neck and he inhales sharply as Jongin yips a little at the unexpected sting that comes from Tao’s teeth grazing his ear.

“You smell nice,” Tao mumbles and proceeds to dip his head under Jongin’s chin with a purr.

Jongin grins and finally allows himself to relax a little even if his stomach is still twisted in a knot.  It loosens a little the longer Tao stays pressed against him, toying with Jongin’s ears until he has to wriggle around and pull his tail out of his pants because it won’t stop wagging.

“It’s nice to see he’s filling out,” Chanyeol comments and Jongin’s ears turn red.

Sehun seems pleased too.  “I’ve kept him on a mostly all-carb diet as Kris suggested.”

“He’s going to outgrow those clothes you have him in soon,” Chanyeol rambles on in the background, Jongin more preoccupied with the way Tao’s black tail is flicking upward toward his nose.  “You should take him to the mall; Tao has several favorite shops he likes to spend my money in.”

“All in the name of fashion,” Tao sniffs before going back to letting Jongin slide fingers through his hair and rub around his ears.

 

Jongin’s kind of fascinated with how clingy Tao is, how soft and warm he is and he’s only too happy to snuggle for a while.  He’s never had anyone to snuggle with before.  He laughs when the tip of Tao’s ear tickles against his jaw.

“Between his expensive taste in clothes and all his video games, it’s a miracle I have enough to make the mortgage,” Chanyeol jests and Tao spares a moment to stick his tongue out at his owner.

“Tao is interested in things like that?” Sehun questions.

“Why wouldn’t he?  They’re human too.”

Jongin feels Sehun watching him and tries not to fidget, but it’s difficult with a cat bigger than he is being very handsy, trying to find Jongin’s ticklish spots.

“I didn’t even think -” Sehun starts and Jongin lets out a shriek of laughter when Tao gets his fingers under his shirt.  Jongin and Tao roll off the chair together in a pile of limbs and Tao takes a playful swipe at Jongin before scampering off, the dog right on his heels.  

Tao is an absolute delight to play with, even allowing Jongin to knock him to the ground and up the side of his face playfully.  (The first time Jongin tripped Tao, he'd panicked, apologizing until Tao shushed him and bounded back to his feet, taunting Jongin into chasing him again.)  Jongin spends his entire afternoon bounding around Sehun's house - mindful of his surroundings so nothing breaks - as Tao keeps just out of reach usually.  Later, when Tao has had enough, he takes up residence on Jongin's doggy bed, holding out his arms for Jongin to join him.

When Jongin wakes from his unplanned nap, Chanyeol and Tao are gone and Jongin hopes they come to play again soon.

 


 

“Jongin, what kind of things do you like?”

The question comes out of nowhere and Jongin freezes in place, the rubber toy in his mouth falling to the floor with a pathetic squeak.  Sehun is staring at Jongin expectantly and Jongin has no idea how to answer that.  It’s not as if he’s had many chances to go searching for hobbies or see what hidden talents he may have aside from survival.  Sehun seems to notice his distress and is quick to drop to the floor beside Jongin and pull him into a hug.

“It’s alright,” he assures Jongin.  “We can figure it out along the way, yeah?”

Jongin nods, content for the moment to just nuzzle against Sehun until they both topple over.  He figures the topic is dropped for now, choosing to rest his head on Sehun’s chest and stare up at Sehun happily.

“Tell you what,” Sehun starts, two fingers scratching around the base of Jongin’s right ear.  “You can pick what we have for dinner tonight.”

Jongin whimpers and Sehun takes pity on him, rolling out from under Jongin to find the stack of menus he has stashed in a kitchen drawer.  Jongin balks at the tiny print covering each one when Sehun hands them to him.  He flips through them as he chews on his lip nervously.  There are pictures on some, but they're aren't helpful.

Jongin hazards a look up at Sehun and clears the knot from his throat before speaking.  "I can't read," he admits in a small voice, handing the menus back to Sehun.

Instead of taking them, Sehun sits on the floor next to Jongin and points to the menu on the top of the stack.  "This place has the best Chinese takeout.  Have you had Chinese before?"

Jongin scratches at the back of his neck and shrugs.  "Maybe?"  Jongin doesn't have the heart to tell Sehun that his dining habits tend to consist of what he can fish out of the trash cans without getting chased away.  Nothing ever tasted good, but he survived.

"They have things like fried rice that you can have with vegetables, pork, beef, chicken.  And there's sesame seed chicken, beef and broccoli -"

Jongin scrunches his nose.  He knows what broccoli is and it's never tasted good.  Sehun gives a soft laugh and plucks the menu from Jongin's hand.

"Alright then, next we have - oh, we don't need that one."  Sehun takes that menu, balls up it and launches it in the direction of the kitchen.  "They shut down a year or so ago.  Now, let's see, this one is - huh."  Sehun carefully takes the stack of menus from Jongin and flips through them with a frown.  He ends up balling most of them up and lobbing them toward the kitchen, leaving them with two options.

"Alright, we have Chinese or pizza.  We can put anything you want on pizza - chicken, pepperoni, bacon, onions and peppers and mushrooms and olives."

Jongin's practically salivating and he barks out a, "pizza!" in his excitement.  He's had it before, but always when it's cold and soggy and a bit tasteless.  Perhaps it won't be so bad fresh.

Sehun pats Jongin on the head as he gets up to grab the phone.  "Pizza it is.  What do you want on it?"

"Everything."

(Hot pizza straight out of the box tastes better than Jongin could have ever imagined and he scarfs down half of one by himself.)




The next time Sehun inquires about Jongin’s preference, Jongin is a little more prepared for it.  Sehun wants to take him out - something that has Jongin scrambling to get dressed and standing at the door in record time.  Sehun laughs at how eager Jongin is, hugging Jongin tight enough for Jongin to hear Sehun’s heart beating and he enjoys the closeness.

Arm in arm, they leave for the movies.  Jongin is still ashamed that he can’t read and he studies the movie posters outside the theater in the hopes of figuring out which one would be the best.  Sehun doesn’t give him any hints and Jongin is too afraid to ask.  He points to one that’s colorful and hopes Sehun’s smile is a good sign.

Jongin made a mistake.

The first part of the movie was alright, but as soon as the explosions started up, his ears ached with the sound and each noise had him jumping up in his seat and whining.  He managed to crawl most of the way on top of Sehun before the film was even halfway over.  Jongin feels guilty for the money wasted on their spilled popcorn and movie tickets when Sehun leads him out, but Sehun seems fine with it, asking Jongin if he’s alright several times before they make it back home.




Jongin's finally beginning to believe that Sehun isn't going to abandon him.  Every trip out they take has him less anxious that Sehun is simply trying to lure him far from the house and leave him without the knowledge to make it back home.  Sehun's efforts to ensure that Jongin is happy and has something to do during the day have only endeared Jongin more and he never wants to leave.

Jongin's even gotten used to his soft bed, curling up on the fluffy surface and falling asleep when he's tired himself out.  But there's something he wants to try, something that Tao suggested the last time he was over to play.  They'd gone out to a park and Jongin had expected the cat to lounge in the sun lazily, but Jongin had been chased around trees and up the slides, across the top of the monkey bars and finally collapsing in a tired pile in the shade nearly an hour later.  Tao had complained about the sweat soaking into his expensive pants, but he'd still petted through Jongin's damp hair until he fell asleep, droning on about the best things about having Chanyeol as an owner.

Tao said that Sehun is a happier person with Jongin around, but Jongin's not sure if that part was a dream brought on by wishful thinking.

Jongin steals out of his bed, glancing at the clock.  It's after ten which means Sehun will be asleep by now.  There are butterflies in his stomach and his heart is hammering, but Jongin steels himself and tiptoes his way through the living room and down to Sehun's bedroom.  The door isn't closed and Jongin slips in with the shadows, keeping his footsteps light as he approaches the bed.

Sehun's top half is uncovered and one of his legs is poking out the side of his blankets.  He's on his back, mouth parted and chest rising and falling with his even breathing.  Jongin's heart skips several beats and his nearly whimpers at the sight before him.  He adores Sehun so much - more than anyone or anything he's had before.

As carefully and as slowly as his impatience allows, Jongin crawls onto Sehun's bed, shifting closer and closer until he's laying next to him.  Tentatively, Jongin rolls onto his side until they're just barely touching and after making sure Sehun is still fast asleep, Jongin rests his head on Sehun's shoulder, nuzzling his head against Sehun's jaw affectionately.

Jongin smiles, settling an arm around Sehun's waist.

Sehun startles and Jongin jumps back, throat closing up with fear when he sees Sehun roll right off the side of the bed.  "Jongin!" Sehun exclaims, head popping up," what are you doing?"

Jongin's ears droop and he tries to shrink down as small as he can.  His tail wiggles between his legs and his nails curl into the blankets.  "Tao says Chanyeol lets him sleep with him all the time.  He says Chanyeol gives him special petting when he does."

Jongin watches as the color drains from Sehun's face and he climbs back on the bed carefully.  He doesn't understand.  Sehun always says that he loves petting Jongin so why wouldn't he want to now?

"Jongin," Sehun sighs, holding out an arm until Jongin barrels into him, head butting into Sehun's chest where he can hear Sehun's heart pitter pattering faster than usual.  He whimpers, afraid that he's messed up when that's the last thing he wants.

"I don't think Tao was being malicious," Sehun begins, with an added, "probably."  Sehun shifts and Jongin looks up at him, watching as red infuses his cheeks and sneaks up to the tips of his ears.  "But the relationship he has with Chanyeol isn't the same as ours."

Jongin ears perk up and he tilts his head to the side, not understanding.

Sehun chews his lip and pets through Jongin's hair.  "Chanyeol and Tao are together like human lovers and they do different things like kiss and, uh, other stuff."

It takes Jongin a few moments to get it and when he does, he pulls away from Sehun in embarrassment and buries his head under the blanket with a whine.  He hears Sehun chuckle at his behavior and feels the heavy weight of Sehun's palm running up and down his back comfortingly.  "You can still sleep up here with me if you like," Sehun offers.  "But there will be no special petting."

Jongin whines again, mortified.  He’d thought special petting meant scratches just above his tail, not - not that.




 

Damn Tao.  Jongin had been satisfied with how things are with Sehun, content in knowing that there's someone who wants to take care of him and that Jongin makes his life a little better.  But now there's this image in his head, one that he can't get out.

He sees Sehun listing on the couch and imagines what it would be like to crawl over and kiss him, to press their lips together and then curl himself into Sehun's embrace to spend the day.  It sets off this explosion in his chest and he doesn't know how he feels anymore.

He's confused.

And he's going pin Tao down the next chance he gets so he can rub the fur on his tail the wrong way.

Yet in in the midst of plotting out different ways to take revenge on the smug cat, Jongin's mind is still focused on Sehun.  He wonders what it is that Sehun looks for in a companion, what qualities that Jongin can strive for to make Sehun notice him in that way.

The sun is barely peeking through the curtains, drawing a long line across the carpeted floor that Jongin watches when he comes up with the first step in his plan.  He's going to act more human and less dog.  He'd relied on his canine side to get him through life out in the world when it was just himself, but now he doesn't need to.  And Sehun probably wouldn't want to date someone who still likes the taste of leather clinging to his teeth and enjoys rolling around on his back in the mud.

The challenge begins that same morning when he spies Sehun's work shoes - all polished black and left alone by the door.  The temptation to slink out of his chair to get a taste of them is strong and he steels himself, grabbing the sides of his chair with both hands.  He keeps his eyes fixed on Sehun, only sliding them over toward the gleaming prize every once in a while when he's sure Sehun isn't watching.

For all his efforts, Jongin gets a pat on the head and a, "good pup," before Sehun walks out the door.  Jongin sulks in his chair, arms crossed because that had taken a lot of self control and Sehun still called him a pup.

He blows at the strands of hair threatening to fall in his eyes and wonders what other sacrifices he's going to have to make in the name of making Sehun see him differently.

He spends the entire day resisting his canine urges and in the process, manages to accidentally figure out how to work the radio on the entertainment center.  Jongin's heard music before, of course, but only faintly through the speakers inside stores he'd hidden out in or blaring out the windows of a car.  This music is different, catchy, and he finds himself moving to it with a grin.

It helps work out the tension, drain away the energy pent up from the day and Jongin is dancing around the living room when Sehun walks in.  He doesn't even realize Sehun is there until he jumps in, an arm around Jongin's waist to spin them around.  Jongin laughs, uncaring about anything other than the rumbling of Sehun's laughter and the feel of him against his chest.  Jongin's heart wants to beat out of its prison and leap into Sehun's arms to stay forever.  It's scary and Jongin pushes down the urge to run away and lets Sehun waltz them around the room instead.

“So . . . dancing?” Sehun asks hopefully when they’re too tired to keep going, limbs like jelly as they stare at the ceiling to catch their breath.

Jongin grins despite the harsh air that stings his throat and the sweat sticking his clothing to his skin.  “I like it,” he decides.  He leaves the especially when it’s with you unsaid.

Jongin’s excitement fades when Sehun tells him what a well behaved dog he is as Jongin helps him get everything ready for dinner.  He even kept his tail tucked out of sight and pushed his ears down to appear more human, but to no avail.  For dessert, Jongin manages to forget his harrowing peanut butter trauma and experiences a repeat performance.

 




It’s been a month since Sehun brought Jongin home and now Jongin finds himself in the same situation of Sehun leading him inside the shelter building.  Sehun assured him it was only for Kris to give him a check-up and ensure he was gaining a healthy amount of weight and to make sure there were no other problems.  It doesn’t make Jongin feel any better.

Kris seems pleased to see Jongin even as he shoos Sehun out the door with a promise that he’ll take good care of him.  The last thing Jongin sees before the door is shut is Sehun scowling at Kris and that makes his heart wobble around like a spinning top about to stop.  Kris pauses and takes note of what’s probably an idiotic grin on Jongin’s face.

“Well it’s nice to see you so happy,” Kris remarks kindly.

Jongin flushes all the way to the tips of his ears.  “Sehun’s good to me,” Jongin mumbles, ducking his head in his embarrassment.

Kris snickers as he stands in front of Jongin.  “That’s good.  You needed pampering.”  Kris ruffles Jongin’s hair affectionately and Jongin’s tail thumps against the hard bed he’s perched on.  It’s not long before he’s sifting through Jongin’s hair with a few scratches behind his ears as he checks his over his scalp and ears.

“Good, good,” Kris rumbles, mostly to himself and Jongin relaxes.  “Tilt your head - yeah, hold right there.”

Jongin rubs his palms nervously over his jeans - Sehun’s jeans that are starting to get too tight around the waist - and clears his throat.  Jongin doesn’t know a lot of people and there are fewer still that he would be comfortable talking to about this particular subject.  Kris stops his inspection and stands in front of Jongin, hunched over so he can look Jongin in the eyes.

“Jongin?” he asks quietly.  “Is there something wrong?  Is there something you want to tell me?”

Blinking up at Kris, Jongin brings his shoulders up for a pathetic shrug and keeps them there as a shield.  He his lips and tugs on the hem of his shirt - another item of Sehun’s, but this is one that Sehun said he could keep.  Jongin even has his own spot for clothes in the closet now and he thinks his heart lives in the little box on the top shelf beside Sehun’s snapbacks.

“I was wondering . . .” he begins in a mumble.  Heat floods his face and he knows he’s bright red, but Kris doesn’t appear to mind.  He has one large hand on Jongin’s shoulder, thumb rubbing in comforting circles.

“You were wondering?” Kris prompts as Jongin fidgets and the paper crinkles around him.

“Do humans and hybrids . . . I mean, can an owner and - could Sehun and I. . . ?”  Jongin hates his tongue, hates the way he can’t just come out and say it.  He lets out a deep sigh and shakes his head.  “Forget it.”

Kris grins and lets out a soft laugh.  “You have a crush!” he announces with perhaps far too much enthusiasm for Jongin’s liking.

Jongin pouts, arms crossed defensively over his chest.  “I do not have a crush.  Crushes are for puppies and I’m not a puppy.”

Kris chuckles at him again, tousling Jongin’s hair before he gets back to the exam.  “Of course you’re not.”

Jongin feels a bit silly even bringing it up now and he sulks in silence until Kris is finished.  He slides off the bed and stands, rubbing down the fur on his tail.

“Jongin, in regards to you and Sehun . . . you never know unless you try.”




 

Kris' words leave Jongin more confused than before and he sulks during the car ride home.  He doesn't know what Kris means.  What more can Jongin do?  He's already been trying to act more human.  Maybe he's just not meant to be with Sehun in that way.

Jongin declines a trip to the park and spends the day on his doggy bed, batting half-heartedly at the rolled up pair of socks Sehun had given him.

It officially turns into a problem a few days later when Jongin is still moping around and Sehun takes notice.  Sehun takes to following Jongin around much like a puppy himself, reaching out for Jongin whenever he's close and pulling him in.  "Please tell me what's wrong," Sehun will say and Jongin will mumble that he's fine and scamper away because just being so near Sehun makes his heart feel funny and his stomach twist up like a pretzel.

Things were easier to figure out when all he had to decide is where on the ground had less pointy things to lay on.

"But you love belly rubs," Sehun whines, his hand still around Jongin's wrist.  It's been an entire week since Jongin's not-helpful-at-all-talk with Kris and Jongin's jumpy.  He pokes at Sehun's fingers, but he won't let go.  "What did I do wrong?  I can't fix it if I don't know what's broken."

Jongin's heart lurches when he sees the sadness on Sehun's face.  The last thing he wants is to hurt him, but Jongin doesn't know what to do with everything that's bottled up inside him.  Longing is an emotion he's accustomed to, but not when the thing he wants is under his nose.

"Jongin, talk to me," Sehun pleads.  Jongin stiffens when Sehun pulls him into a hug, face buried in Jongin's neck and an arm around his waist.

Jongin whimpers.

"If I'm a bad owner, just tell me."

Jumping back, Jongin stares at Sehun with wide eyes.  "You're not bad!" he exclaims.  "You're - you're everything to me," he breathes out in a rush.  "It's my fault.  It's my fault and I'm so sorry.  I can't turn it off."  Jongin grabs the tips of his hair and starts pulling nervously, eyes cast to the floor.  "I want to turn it off so everything will be the way it was, but you make me feel funny and I want more, but you've given me so much already and I don't want to be selfish -"

"Jongin -"

"And I don't want to disappoint you -"

"Jongin -"

"But all I can seem to think about is how much I want to kiss you -"

"Kiss me?!"

Jongin balks, finally looking up at where Sehun is frozen with wide eyes and his mouth open.  With a pathetic whimper of shame, Jongin darts out of the room and into the bathroom, slamming and locking the door before he sinks down in the bathtub to hide.  His tail is secure between his legs and his heart is racing so fast and he feels sick.  What if he's just screwed it all up?

The flaw in this plan is that Sehun has a key to the bathroom and doesn't hesitate to use it.  Jongin cowers, crouched in the tub with the top of his head peeking over the porcelain.  Sehun looks a little flush, but not upset, so that's something.  He slowly walks over, resting on his knees in front of Jongin who lowers himself even further, ears flat against his head.

“Don’t be upset,” Sehun sighs, reaching out to tug at Jongin’s left ear.  He lifts it up and then watches as it flops back down.  “I’m not mad at you.”

Jongin perks up a little, his tail loud when it smacks against the inside of the tub.  “You’re not?”

“Of course not, Jongin.  I care about you.”

Jongin’s heart falls and he frowns, his tail now lifeless.  “But not the same way.”

“Oh you silly pup,” Sehun sighs and Jongin whines, sliding as low as he can in the tub.

He can’t see Sehun anymore, but he can hear him moving which means he’s probably leaving Jongin to fret alone.  What Jongin doesn’t expect is to feel Sehun over him as he clambers in the tub too, drawing Jongin into his arms.  It’s not really big enough for the two of them together, but Sehun manages to rearrange them until Jongin’s face is in front of his own and they’re laying on their sides.  Jongin tries to wriggle away, but he’s trapped.

“I do care about you the same way,” Sehun finally says.

Jongin’s eyes grow wide and he can’t breathe.  Sehun smiles at him and Jongin nuzzles his face against Sehun’s neck, his tail now thumping loudly in the small room.  “Does this mean I can get special petting?” Jongin asks.

Sehun sputters, pushing him away and sitting up quickly.  “How about we start with cuddling and work our way up from there.”




A few weeks later, Jongin is lying on the couch with Sehun and he’s decided that it’s one of his favorite things to do.  He likes the way Sehun wraps around him, his nails lazily scratching over Jongin’s stomach through his shirt.  Jongin doesn’t even think Sehun realizes when he does it anymore.

After Jongin’s less than perfect confession, Sehun has been more affectionate and Jongin’s managed to get over his nervousness to sleep in the same bed with him even if all they do is cuddle.  Sometimes Jongin gets impatient and tries to lean in for a kiss, but Sehun bops him on the nose and tells him to be patient.

Today, however, is a little different.  Jongin sighs, smiling up at Sehun as the television drones on in the background.  Sehun leans down, his nose brushing over Jongin’s and Jongin blushes, his breath catching in his chest.  He knows Sehun isn’t going to kiss him, but this is the next best thing.  Even this is enough to have his heart racing and his tail wagging enough to shake the entire couch.

But then Sehun dips lower, his mouth so close and Jongin freezes, afraid to move.  He feels the pressure of Sehun’s lips on his, just a short, sweet kiss left on his mouth before Sehun is pulling away again.

It’s too much for Jongin’s puppy heart to take.  He bounds up on the couch, taking Sehun by surprise.  The doorbell rings and Sehun rolls off the couch and out of an excited Jongin’s way, leaving the dog to bounce on the couch in his excitement.

There’s a dopey grin on Jongin’s face when Tao walks in.  He means to launch himself at the feline in his joy, but missteps and ends up smashing to the floor in a heap instead.  There’s a sore spot throbbing on his head and he whines.

“The dog is broken!” Tao yells and then adds as an afterthought, “I didn’t do it!”