First

Empty

“What?!”

For a second, Youngjae’s heart stopped in his chest. It rose again, furiously trembling in pain. It couldn’t be true. People had told him so many times that Daehyun had no interest in others, male or female. But when the rumor became the truth, all he could feel was a painful clenching inside of him, like a vice wrapped around his heart.

The first time he had laid eyes on the handsome, tall male was during debate club. Even when his friends vehemently tried to persuade him otherwise, saying he’d have no social life, he resolutely scrawled his name on the sign up sheet. After a brief introduction, the club captains each took a couple of new members and met with them separately. As Youngjae looked around, helplessly confused, the lean, manly figure of the team captain caught his eye, and the brown eyes twinkling behind a wisp of soft, styled hair met his own with a radiant smile. Youngjae had felt his heart stutter in its beats, and a red flush spread across his cheeks as he shifted his gaze shyly.

Daehyun had had him breathless without a word.

A week later, Youngjae found out that one of his best girlfriends was also interested in joining. He excitedly explained the details of the tryouts, and encouraged her to talk with all the members.

As tryout season passed, Youngjae began to worry for his position on the team. Balancing 4 AP classes along with a prestigious debate club made him cranky, antisocial, and y. He complained about small things, and occupied himself with procrastination rather than studying. But when the gentle, worrying eyes of Daehyun met his with uncertainty, he smiled, feeling his anxiety melt away.

Perhaps the first sign of their fate happened on a day after club had ended. Youngjae confined himself to a corner, awkwardly watching his friend prance around, chatting up all the boys. When she rounded up on Daehyun, batting her eyelashes flirtatiously and blinking innocently, Youngjae felt his blood boil. Daehyun laughed good heartedly at her jokes, his eyes curving into small cresents as his chestnut locks flipped back. Youngjae didn’t see Daehyun silently noticing the way he shrank into the desk, trying to hide himself from the flirtatious interaction. Suddenly, a husky voice reached his reddening ears, deep and resonant, “Hey, how are you?”

Youngjae blinked, and looked up, almost blinded by the concern marring the handsome features.

“I-I’m fine.”

Daehyun leaned closer, and the attractive mole under his eye catches Youngjae’s attention.

“Doing anything interesting this weekend?”

Youngjae, trying to control the embarrassing stutter in his voice, shook his head resolutely.

“Not really, just tutoring.”

“Oh, you tutor? Is it hard, trying to control all the kids?” Leaning back, Daehyun crossed his arms, muscles shifting under his casual t-shirt as he scooted onto the table separating him from Youngjae.

Youngjae tried to distract himself from the toned body and carved face, dragging a stray lock of hair out of his eyes while flushing uncontrollably.

“Not really, but sometimes they say stupid things in Korean ‘cause they think I won’t understand. Like the time where a kid accused me of farting, even though he did the deed.” He rolled his eyes, recalling fond memories of his job. He heard a rambunctious laugh burst out of the elder, and shifted his eyes to see the other smiling brilliantly back at him. Blushing and silently cursing his verbal filter, Youngjae looked away, willing himself to calm down.

Suddenly, he heard a sharp, high-pitched laugh and a flurry of footsteps ran towards them.

“Oppaaaa! Oh my God, why didn’t you show this to me earlier? It’s so funny!” Youngjae turned to see his friend, the girl, rush to the side of Daehyun, clinging at the fine arms he had been admiring.

The girl took out a sheet of paper, beginning to read it loudly in front of both of them, giggling obnoxiously at the jokes every two seconds. Youngjae felt his head spin angrily and resisted the urge to shove the girl onto the tiled floors. He watched as Daehyun amused her, laughing appropriately as the puns begin to set in.

Youngjae felt an exhausted breath escape him, watching the two continue their banter with intelligent jokes that even Youngjae couldn’t understand. A small smile crept to his face when Daehyun looked at him for confirmation of another pun he had cracked, but it slipped as soon as the girl gripped Daehyun’s arm, exclaiming how clever and smart he was.

He slipped into his seat behind the desk, thinking that maybe Daehyun just isn’t his to keep.

 

I might (probably will) continue this, but don’t count on it.

Sorta based on personal experience :(

Also sorry if the grammar is terrible, this is my first time posting any of my writing. 

And I never write LOL