Final

Spotless Mind

 

Sehun woke up early that morning to get ready for his dance classes. He could barely contain his excitement for his first day at his new dance school. It was a new beginning. Being stuck in the hospital and home for a year after the terrible accident, he was finally out and breathing. The accident had resulted in a traumatic head injury which erased all his memories. The doctors told him that the scan of his brain showed that he had no blood flow to his right temporal lobe—the part of the brain that stores long-term memory. Sehun found it ironic that he had to find out his name from his parents, who had to introduce themselves. After spending 6 months in the hospital and later 5 months at home trying to regain his memory using the reminder effect Sehun had given up that he was not going to regain his memory anytime soon. Being huddled up in his room and listening to his mother silently crying to his father dejected about his plight made Sehun felt useless and helpless. He went through all the photos brought home by Tao and Kai who were introduced to him as his childhood friends and neighbors. They talked for hours about all their adventures and fun times. Though Sehun could not remember any of the incidents, he felt a connect with the two. Sehun felt alive for the few hours he spent with them every day. After a long struggle with retrograde amnesia, Sehun could not take the suffocation anymore and spoke with his father about going to Paris to spend time alone and re defining his life. Though his mother was strictly against it, his father immediately agreed to it and arranged everything for his travel and stay. Thus within a month, Sehun found himself getting ready for his first day at the dance school. During the time he spent with Kai and Tao, he found out that Kai and him were part of the school dance team and have been dancing since their kindergartens’. He found the school on his second day in Paris and joined it by impulse.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Sehun had finished his lunch soon and had come back to the dance. He acquainted himself with few of his classmates but he still hadn’t opened up to them to spend some time with them. There was also the language barrier. The dance room was a large room having a perfect view of the park opposite to the school. Tao had taught him a few yoga moves that him helped him relax his muscles. After stretching for some time, Sehun stood in front of the huge French door taking in the view of the park. It was spring and it made Paris look even more poetic. Sehun let his eyes roam on the people outside - some walking, some talking, and some sitting on the bench, kids running around. When Sehun was about to turn, he saw her. A petite pale girl sitting on a bench on the park clutching on to her sling bag and looking directly into his eyes.....and silently crying.

"I am flustered by seeing your face for the first time
and your tears. Don’t cry, those tears look so sad."

Sehun turned around as he could not bear to look at her sad face anymore. Something within him made him to turn back again. But all he saw the now empty bench.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It had been a month since Sehun saw the girl in the park. Since then he had had flashes of his memories in his dreams - dancing in school with Kai, playing X BOX with Tao, gardening with his father and a few more. There were some specific memories that made him wake in the middle of the night all hot and sweaty. Memories of a girl. He could never see the face of the girl but there were flashes of him buying flowers for her and endlessly waiting for her. Sehun could never wink a sleep whenever he had dreams of her. Sehun precisely remembered that he had neither seen photos of any girl at home nor had Kai or Tao talked about any. Sehun had slowly stopped pondering over those dreams as time passed.

"I don’t remember, I don’t know
did we love?
I really don’t know,
It’s not in my memory
Did we break up?"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One breezy summer night, Sehun went out for some fresh air and a coffee. He sat in the table near the window and was looking at the scenery. Over time, Sehun had come to make himself comfortable being alone, he liked the silence. It blocked out all the questions, pity and worries that he encountered in Seoul. After looking outside the window for some time, Sehun turned to take a sip of his coffee when he saw her again. Standing on the other side of the road, her black long hair flowing in the summer breeze and her eyes moist with tears boring into him. Sehun reasoned that any person faced with such situation would feel scared and creped out. But all he felt was confusion and explainable sadness. He suddenly bolted out the door and crossed the road to find her. To his relief she had not left like the last time.  She stood still when Sehun walked up to her without breaking their eye contact. The girl brought up a hand and placed it against his face and smiled. The tears had not stopped flowing. It felt familiar yet painful to Sehun. He kept staring at her when she suddenly embraced him. Sehun felt his body turn rigid when he felt his shirt getting damp with her tears.

"Who are you that are crying in front of me?
Who are you that you come into my arms?"

 

After what felt like eternity, the girl withdrew and gave him a small smile and left. Sehun stood still for a long time stunned, confused. When bent down to look at the damp patch in his shirt he saw something. The girl had dropped her note while leaving. When he opened the note, something fell down....

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sehun took the note with him to school the next day. He went to the dance room and stood near the French door and waited for her. When Sehun came back after a few stretches, he saw her sitting in the same bench. Sehun sat near her in the bench and turned to his side. He took out the note from his bag and gave it to her. Eyes widened in surprise and tears started stinging her eyes. Sehun felt an unexplainable tug in his heart whenever he saw her tears. He held her face with both his hands and brushed away her tears. Sehun slowly inched near her face and gave her a soft, gentle and long kiss. The girl was startled by his action and started shedding more tears when he kissed her. Sehun slowly pulled away and smiled at her. The smile held so many meanings and emotions within. He gave her one last smile and walked away.

"I don’t know anything but why is this?
What are these tears flowing from my eyes?"

 

She opened the note and accidentally turned the photo and saw....


"It's a sickness, I'm a patient
Erase all the painful memories
I don’t know myself
so there's no way you will know either

I probably know you
I probably loved you a lot
that’s why
I probably erased you...."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The End! :)

I was feeling very angsty today at work. This song - Spotless mind came up in my playlist and i pushed me into writing this one shot! :P

Hope everyone likes it :)

Please comment and subscribe 

Happy reading!