The Reality I Don't Want to Accept

The Reality I Don't Want to Accept

 

As she had her hands tucked in her jeans' back pockets, Jiyoon continued to aimlessly walk around while her mind was still preoccupied with all silly and funny things about what she had seen the previous night.

'It's definitely not him. I'm sure I'm just mistaken.. yeah, that's it!' She thought to herself before letting a fake laugh out.

 

FLASHBACK:

It was Seojin's birthday and Jiyoon was preparing a little celebration for him at his apartment. She already ordered a cake and also cooked some dishes. Glancing at the time, she figured that he will be home soon so she decided to give him a call to remind him but before she could dial, a text message was received. Seeing that it was from Seojin made her smile immediately but that smile faltered right away the moment she opened the message. He said he will not be able to make it home early because his colleagues had given him a surprise treat.

Sighing, Jiyoon placed her phone down on the kitchen counter and started to wrap the food then kept it stored in the fridge. After cleaning for a bit more, she suddenly remembered that he had mentioned the place where they are at. She took a glance at the message again. At first, she felt kind of hesitant but had later on made up her mind. She gathered her things and went out of the house.

 

-oOo-

 

"Please go to this address.." Jiyoon showed the address to the driver as soon as she rode the cab and the driver nodded before speeding off. On the way to the restaurant-bar, she had tried to call him several times but her call couldn't get through. This started to worry her but she thought that maybe his phone just ran out of battery. Her train of deep thoughts was suddenly broken after about fifteen minutes when the cab stopped, making her realize that she already arrived.

"We're here, miss." The driver said and Jiyoon handed her payment before slightly bowing and getting off the cab. As she stepped down, she looked up and checked her surrounding. 'Well.. I guess this can be decent after all.' She thought.

She grabbed her phone again while making her way inside, hoping for the last time that she would be able to contact him. Looking from left to right with her phone on her ear, she slowly continued to make her way inside. After a few good moments, she spotted a familiar figure not so far from where she was standing. A smile instantly spread across her lips and she made her way towards that person but was suddenly stopped in her tracks when she saw a lady approach the man and link arms with him.

The man had his back facing her but Jiyoon was more or less sure that it was Seojin. She wanted to move but she was frozen in her place. Instead, she ended up watching as the two people shared a passionate kiss as the man encircled his arms around the woman's waist. What pained her even more was when they pulled back, she was able to get a glimpse of the woman's face and her eyes widened in astonishment as she saw her sister.

Tears threatened to fall and stain her cheeks as she clenched her fists, still not peeling her eyes from the view in front of her. Her attention was suddenly caught when one of Seojin's friends called her name, loud enough for the latter to hear and turn around.

Before heavy tears could finally stream down, Jiyoon abruptly turned around and stormed off the restaurant without looking back nor paying attention to the people calling her name out.

-end-

 

Jiyoon entered a cake shop and took a seat on a spot beside the window. One of the attendants served her the usual cake and juice she would order whenever she goes there.. or actually, whenever they go there.. she and Seojin.

She started to eat the cake almost lifelessly when her phone suddenly rang. She lazily fished it out of her pocket but when she saw the caller ID, she immediately answered it.

"Oppa~" She tried her best to sound cheery to hide that something was wrong.

"Jiyoon-ah.." Seojin's weak voice greeted her. "I'm sorry about yesterday."

"Oh, right~ Did you enjoy the celebration? How was it? Did they give you gifts?" She asked before taking another bite of her cake slice.

"I saw you last night.. Ji, I have something to say.."

"Last night? Ya, what are you talking about? I fell asleep at your place after preparing food for you." Jiyoon cut him off then laughed. "Ah, right! I kept the food refrigerated. If you want to eat, just heat it." She put the fork down to the table.

She heard Seojin sighed softly. "We seriously need to talk. Please don't try to avoid me."

"Avoid?" She laughed again. "Sorry.. I'm not avoiding you. And right now, I'm at our favorite cake shop."

"Do you have time? There's something I need to discuss about us.." Seojin's tone still remained serious.

"A-arasseo.. where do you want to meet?" Jiyoon finally got tired avoiding and gave up.

"At the university's rooftop. I will wait for you.."

With that, the conversation ended.

 

-oOo-

 

"I seriously thought she would confront me and get mad at me but she didn't say anything about it." Seojin talked on his phone as he was waiting for Jiyoon to come.

"Don't you know my sister yet? She's the type to deny something when it's not in her favor.." The person on the other line spoke.

"I even said that I saw her last night but she didn't acknowledge it."

"It's your fault. You should have told her a long time ago.."

"Ya, are you not even feeling a little remorse for your sister?"

"Correction.. half-sister. Well, for a person who already has everything great in life, this is nothing. I think I can be selfish for once.. just for this.. for you."

Seojin sighed and Jiyoon's sister heard him. "Waeyo, are you regretting? Do you want to back on your words?" She asked with a hint of irritation.

"Of course not! And that's why I called her out today.. it's better to tell her everything already and just end it here since she already saw us last night.." Seojin reasoned.

Little did he know that Jiyoon had already arrived and heard everything just then. Seojin ended the call and kept his phone in his pocket before turning around.

"J-Jiyoon..." His eyes widened as if he has seen a ghost.

"Waeyo, oppa? Were you surprised that I have arrived sooner?" She faked a wide smile and walked towards him. But that smile suddeny faded the moment they came face-to-face. "Wae?" Jiyoon's face became expressionless as she asked that question coldly.

"I'm sorry..." Seojin whispered and hung his head low.

"Sorry?" She repeated. "Of all people, why my sister? What did I do that wasn't enough? Were you bored of me? Did I do something wrong? Ya oppa, please tell me!" She grabbed his shoulders and shook it, demanding a response from him but he remained silent.

"Ah! Is this suppose to be a prank? You and Jimin eonni must have plotted this against me, am I right?" Then she looked around. "Maybe you hid a camera somewhere around so I wouldn't see."

"Jiyoon.. let's-"

"Tsk oppa, you act so well, do you know that?" She laughed as she turned back to him.

"I think we should-"

"Oppa~"

Seojin held both of Jiyoon's hands and made her look at him. "Listen to me.."

"No!" She yanked his hands and fell down hard when she felt her knees weaken. That moment, she finally broke down in front of him and all the tears she had been holding back finally flowed out continuously and endlessly.

"Ji.. stop making things difficult for yourself. You're the only one who'll hurt even more." Seojin grabbed her arm to help her stand.

Jiyoon stood straight and wiped her stained face before laughing a bit. "Ah.. shall we go to your house now and eat the food I prepared yesterday? I want to know what you think about it."

"Mianhae-"

"Ani.. it's okay.." She cut him again before embracing him tightly. "I forgive you for playing this little prank." She chuckled. "Just don't do it again."

There was a short moment of silence before she continued, "Oppa, you should really go and taste the food I prepared for your birthday.. I want to know your opinion." She said softly, wearing a forced smile.

When Seojin didn't say anything after that, Jiyoon heaved a sigh of relief. Truthfully, she already knew what he wanted to tell her. She knew that he was about to end things between the two of them so she tried her best to divert it and cut him off whenever she had a tiny chance.

She didn't want to hear those words coming from his lips directly. To her, pretending that nothing of that moment had happened was for the best. If only she could erase it, she would.

And since she still couldn't bear to go on without him, keeping him there by her side despite knowing that his heart wasn't with her anymore was what she needed and wanted the most at the moment.

 

 

'Please stay..' Her mind and heart screamed as she tightened the embrace even more and closed her eyes, allowing more tears to stain her cheeks again.