Chapter 5

The Promise

For the whole week, Kris had been spending more time being cooped up in his office, exerting his body from dawn to dusk relentlessly. Why? Because it was the only way for him to distract his mind from unwanted thoughts about a certain boy.

 

He punched the wall. He was pissed. He couldn’t understand what was going on with him. He had though, sleeping with Lay once, he’d be completely free of his obsession for him; however, the result was the entire contrary. Despite his continual attempts in forgetting everything about Lay, his thoughts kept him being directed towards the boy, as if the latter was carved in Kris’ mind.

 

Wrench of a forced separation. Departing, never came back. Unfulfilled promise.

 

Out of rage, the tall guy punched the wall repeatedly. Nonsense, it was pure nonsense! And then, a strong emotion coming from nowhere seized him, filling him with something he'd never have thought he could feel: guilt, regret, remorse. But for what? He didn't know. It was as if the feelings were those of another person, yet it affected him, and he couldn't explain why or how. He couldn't even explain what those scraps of memories represented, and it was driving him crazy.

 

He held his injured hand, then gazed straight in front of him ready to resume his work. And then, his eyes opened wide.

 

In front of him, the woman was standing, staring at him with an undecipherable look. Her usual smile was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Your stubborn rejection is killing him.” She said coldly.

 

Kris blinked once to make sure he wasn't hallucinating, but during that short time, the woman had already disappeared. That made him swore; great, now he was seeing things, as if he didn't have enough problems already. Still, the apparition intrigued him. What did she mean by 'killing him'? Killing who? Kris shook his head, angry towards himself to give even the smallest credit to what was certainly a trick of his imagination.

 

He was about to resume doing his work when the sounds of footsteps getting closer made him sigh of irritation.

 

"Kris! We have questions for y . . ." Kyungsoo barged into the room but stopped dead as he saw the bloodied hand of his friend. Behind him, Jongin gasped as he almost bumped into him.

 

"Kris, please stop that, will you?" He requested, sighing. "We'd like to talk with you about Lay. His state is more than worrying. And please don't tell us that it doesn't concern you, because we noticed how both of you have been acting strangely since you came back from your mission together." He quickly added before Kris had time to retort back.

 

The taller male glared at him before gathering his things, to Kyungsoo's relief.

 

"Now, will you tell us what happened when both of you were doing the project?" Jongin asked patiently.

 

"Ask Se Hun for the report." Kris replied shortly.

 

"Kris, don't be stubborn. The report doesn't mention anything that could explain why Lay is letting his health degrade and why he doesn't want any help from us."

 

"He hasn't been himself lately." Kyungsoo added. "He even snapped at us pretty violently, which isn't like him at all."

 

He got up from his desk, remaining silent. Then, as he walked past them towards the door, he declared icily:

 

“If he plans to act childishly, then let him do so.”

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It happened all too quickly. A second before, Lay was walking to his office with his bag in hand, and the second after there was a noise as his bag crash on the ground knocking up the trash bin and Lay had collapsed on his knees, a hand holding on to the wall for support and the other hand over his mouth as a violent fit of coughing seized him. Immediately, some of his co-workers rushed to him, and one of them exclaimed:

 

“Someone go get an ambulance! Hurry up!”

 

“I-I’m fine . . .” Lay managed to speak.

 

“Lay, please don’t talk! And you’re not fine at all!”

 

Indeed, the ground was tainted with small droplets of blood, and Lay's hand was also covered with the crimson liquid. His chest was burning him, air had trouble finding its way to the boy's lungs, and his vision was blurring around him . . . blackness.

 

In the middle of the ruckus, only one person remained at his spot, merely observing the scene with his eyes. It was none of his business, after all.

 

A few hours later…

 

"I can't explain it. At first, it was supposed to be mild, and I gave him drugs that should have cured him in less than a week. I can't explain how his state deteriorated to this point." The doctor said, shaking his head.

 

"But can you treat him?" Se Hun asked as he glanced at the sleeping boy lying on the hospital bed on his side.

 

"This is hard to tell. As I said, I've never seen something like this. It's as if his body refuses to heal, no matter what I do."

 

Se Hun frowned, wrinkles of worry appearing on his forehead.

 

"Please do your best." He merely said as he left the room.

 

A silhouette who was standing right behind the door quickly left before Se Hun exited the hospital room. No, Kris wasn't concerned about Lay's state. He had just happened to be passing by, that's all.

 

An unknown disease slowly taking his lover away.

 

Kris clenched his fists. He decided that a meditation session wouldn't harm him. He went back to his apartment, sat cross-legged on the floor, closed his eyes and let the surrounding silence invade him progressively. During a few minutes, his mind relaxed, allowing him to enjoy a moment of peace.

 

"I'll come back."

 

"Liar."

 

He bit his lip. It seemed that no matter what, his mind wouldn't be able to find some rest. What had he done to deserve it? In spite of himself, every time those memories streamed past his head, his thoughts would drift to Lay, source of the mental torture he was suffering from. He had been wrong when he had thought that sleeping with him would have erased his obsession towards the boy; on the contrary, it had been increasing to the point that not a single second could pass without Kris thinking how much he loathed the boy. He loathed Lay for putting a mess in his mind, he loathed Lay for leading him to sleep with him, he loathed Lay because he had become infatuated with the boy.

 

Kris uncrossed his legs, rested his arms on his knees and buried his face in his hands. Was it possible to deeply hate and desire someone with the same intensity at the same time? To Kris, the answer wasn't as easy as it seemed.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The meeting went smooth much to his surprise. He was sent to a business meeting that was only a three (3) hour travel from his workplace. He was supposed to stay there for a week. Which he gladly agreed to wanting to breath from all the stress he is undergoing.

 

Night came and Kris lay on the bed at the hotel he was checked in, not particularly trying to find some sleep; for the past few days he was unable to sleep properly because of the mess in his mind. When Se Hun had called him in his office for a business trip, he had thought that it'd help him take his mind off things, and of course, he had been completely wrong.

 

Was the idiot still dying at the hospital? Did those good-for-nothing doctors find a medicine to treat him? Those questions kept playing in Kris's head, and it was bothering him to no end. The day before he was bound for the business trip, he had paid Lay a quick visit while the latter was sleeping, more on a whim than out of concern, and the sight of the pale and miserable figure lying on the bed, that mouth letting nothing but hissing breathing out had stirred something very disagreeable in Kris, though he couldn't name it.

 

Unfulfilled promise.

 

Again. It wasn't the first time that memory came back to him, and he couldn't help but wonder why he felt so concerned about it, despite he had absolutely no idea what kind of promise it was. He closed his eyes, deciding to put that issue aside until his mission was over. Miraculously enough, sleep took over him on that night.

 

That was until his phone woke him up after a few hours. Swearing mentally, Kris sat up and answered the call.

 

"Kris! We need you to come back right now." Se Hun's voice spoke through the phone. Given his tone, there was visibly something wrong.

 

"What the , Se Hun. My business trip isn't done yet." Kris replied grumpily.

 

"Forget about that, there's more important things here. It's Lay, he's in a very bad shape and..."

 

"What does it have to do with me?" Kris cut him, annoyed.

 

"Listen, go to the station immediately and take the first train back here. I'll explain on your way."

 

"Che. Fine." Kris replied, already on his feet. Three minutes later, he was already walking to the station while listening to Se Hun:

 

"... has been deteriorating since you left. The doctors are unable to tell the cause and said that Lay is only surviving by sheer willpower, but they fear he isn't going to last pretty much longer."

 

"You still haven't told me why you need me back."

 

"Well... that's the strangest part. The only words that comes out from Lay are your name and 'Come back, you promised me.'"

 

Kris twitched; though he managed to stay calm a minimum.

 

"And you're calling me back idiot said some nonsense crap?" He asked slowly, in a dangerous tone.

 

"Kris... this isn't all. Actually, something happened that quite... troubled me." Se Hun went on cautiously. "You . . . were told about the red string of fate during one of your meetings with Lay, didn't you?"

 

"What about it?" Kris asked dryly.

 

"Well . . . the woman, I met her. Or more accurately, she kind of . . . appeared in front of me."

 

This time, Kris stopped dead.

 

"What?"

 

"As I said, it was rather . . .  strange. She told me she's the messenger of the lunar god. She also told me that Lay was dying because of you, because there's a promise you still need to fulfill towards him. I don't really understand what she meant but she added that you would know what to do. Do you?"

 

"No." There had been a second of silence before Kris's reply, but that mere second of hesitation was enough for Se Hun to insist:

 

"Listen, I won't ask you about details, but I simply request that you come back and do the necessary for Lay to recover."

 

"And I'm telling you I don't know how to cure the damn idiot! Wasn't I clear enough?" Kris retorted back, irritated. His thoughts were upside down, messing his mind up and making him react accordingly, namely very badly.

 

“I’m not coming back before my business trip is done. And I’m hanging up now.” He added, pissed off.

 

He stopped dead on his tracks and he stayed like that as a series of random memories assaulted him. Memories he doesn’t know. Memories from the past. Memories from his past lives.

 

He inhaled deeply and was about to continue walking when the apparition in from of him made him freeze on the spot.

 

The woman. Again. She was standing in front of him, gravely, and Kris noticed that the moon-shaped birthmark on her neck was darker, exactly like a tattoo. Her eyes also were now tinted with silver glints, giving the impression of looking at two miniature lunar stars.

 

“You promised him that you'll come back.” She said. Despite the noise and bustling of the crowd that has gathered in front of the train station, Kris could hear the woman distinctly and it seemed to him that her voice resonated around him.

 

“I never promised anyone anything. Now get out of my sight, I don’t have time to deal with you.” Kris spat.

 

“Your previous life did. The string of fate is there to allow you to fulfill the promise you made hundred years ago.”

 

“I don’t believe I that crap.” Kris snapped back at her as he walked past her.

 

“Liar.” She said, and the word echoed in Kris’ head like a distant reminiscence.

 

“I’ll come back.

 

“Liar.

 

“I will. I promise.

 

Kris turned around abruptly, but the woman had already disappeared. He swore, what did that woman know about him? Declaring he was a liar while she knew nothing about him, it infuriated him. Still, the unpleasant and diffuse feeling that she may somehow not be that wrong kept stirring in him. A promise to come back? That was ridiculous.

 

At that same moment, a loud horn was heard not far from him, and the sound of the train leaving was now clear. He took a run after it, wishing that he wasn’t to late and that he can catch up to the train. It was at that precise moment that his heart failed a beat. The train had already left.

 

He ran outside the station. Dodging every people that gets in his way.

 

Surrounded by enemies.

 

For once, the memory fitted Kris’ present situation well.

 

Kill. To survive.

 

That’s right. The only thought that was leading hi movements was survival, no matter what.

 

To come back to him.

 

He ran down an alleyway, figuring out the cities shortcuts. A new strength was filling him, though he couldn’t tell where it came from; it didn’t matter as long as it allowed him to keep going.

 

To meet him again.

 

Kris bit his lip. Why were those memories so persistent? And why couldn’t he stop thinking about a certain silver-haired boy at each of those flashes?

 

A promise.

 

And then, the worst of the visions came to him: a delicate and colorless face breathing its last, lying alone and wishing for his special person to return before he left this world for good, and not having his last wish granted. Kris clutched at his heart even more tightly as a new resolution formed in his head: he wasn't going to let it happen. He was going to come back, because he had to. A strong feeling rose in him that prompted him to make every endeavor to survive and come back to the one he once thought he despised most.

 

That momentary lapse of concentration prevented him from noticing the tree that situated itself in the middle of the park making him bump into it hard. ‘That is one of the most stupid thing that could happen to me’ he mentally sighed at his stupidity. ‘That damn idiot’s stupidity is rubbing on me.’ As he tried to stand up, a sharp pain in his left foot made him wince, but it wasn’t time to care about his injuries now; another lack of attention could end up with something more serious than a sprain.

 

An arrow piercing his chest. Blood splashing on the ground.

 

His previous incarnation got killed, so what? It didn’t mean Kris was going to repeat the same mistake. He sped up his running, ignoring the exhaustion of his tense muscles and the vision blurring around him. Damn it. Why can’t I run any faster?

 

A second arrow. Strength leaving him in spite of himself. Anger, rage, fury.

 

Kris gritted his teeth. All stubbornness he had put into denying any bond with the boy was now poured into fulfilling that – stupid – promise to come back. It didn’t matter that his sprained ankle is slowing him a bit in his running.

 

Because he had promised it.

 

A third arrow, straight at his heart. Knees on the ground, violent pain clenching at his heart, though it’s not physical pain.

 

There’s no way of stopping now. His lungs were screaming at him to stop before it gave up. Kris gazed around him, trying to look for something fast that could bring him to his destination which is only 45 more minutes away. He closed his eyes for a second, and inhaled deeply. He opened his eyes and looked at his side and he saw a bike being left by its owner while he went inside the store to buy something.

 

“Yes.” Kris breathed with effort. He ran to the bike and picked it up and rode on it before the owner sees him, now he’s dashing like he’s being by a black hole. He breathed out heavily, he won’t make it, he’s tired and exhausted. He wouldn’t – couldn’t – let it happen. Someone was waiting for him to return, and he wasn’t going to fail that someone. He gathered up his strength and gave it all he got. Dashing through everything just to get to his destination. He can’t disappoint that someone anymore. He’d be spending another lifetime to fulfill the promise if he fails now.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Slowly, very slowly, Lay opened his eyes. He stared expressionlessly at the white ceiling above him, not bothering to move his weakened body. He had been stuck in the infirmary for days, and yet his condition hadn't improved at all. Not that he cared. To tell the truth, he didn't feel like healing; it was much more tempting to let himself drift away from this world without struggling, to end the throbbing pain of waiting for something that he knew would never come.

 

Kris would never come back. Not for him. He had made it clear how he felt towards the boy, and it was all the more cruel as the said boy couldn't stop longing for his return despite everything.

 

Today, however, Lay had no more will to bear with that unceasing torture. Today would be his last day. As if to prove him right, he started coughing blood again, feeling as if his lungs were being torn apart under the repetitive coughs. Today, he would say goodbye to a world that had never welcomed him to begin with, thus he wouldn't regret it.

 

Regret. Of not seeing each other again.

 

Lay shut his eyes tight. He kept thinking that he didn't care about it anymore, that he wasn't stupid enough to cling to a person who had brought him nothing but suffering, yet a small voice at the back of his head kept murmuring 'liar'.

 

"Liar."

 

"I will. I promise."

 

Enough already. Enough. There was no point in hoping for something beyond his reach and he wasn't going to regret giving up on a dream. Then why did silent tears start falling down his cheeks? Why was it so painful to feel life slowly leaving his body? Why couldn't he think of anyone else but...

 

Kris...

 

"Idiot!"

 

The irony, now Lay was hearing voices, and his voice above all. Did God enjoy playing with his creations that much?

 

"You idiot, damn it! Don't you ing dare die on me now!"

 

This was getting strange. Lay could feel the presence of someone next to him, could feel a hand on his cheek, a thumb wiping his tears away. He could hear that voice calling him repeatedly by that nickname he had come to like hearing. Perhaps it was how it was like to die?

 

Brown eyes opened, and met with the eyes he adored and loved. His eyes widened in shock while the latter closed in relief.

 

"Idiot..." Kris murmured as he leant forward and pressed his forehead against Lay's, holding the delicate face between his palms.

 

As soon as he had arrived the hospital, he had rushed towards the infirmary and stormed into the room, telling the doctors and nurses to get out and leave them alone. And then, his eyes had set upon Lay, whose cheeks were marked by shining trails of tears, and for a second, Kris had feared the worst.

 

But now, the object of his torments was between his hands, and the promise was fulfilled.

 

"I'm back." He whispered against Lay's lips. "I'm back."

 

The boy was immobile, still not daring to believe what was happening. It couldn't be... it simply couldn't... yet, the warmth that was taking over his body was too real to be a mere trick of his imagination. It was as if the life that had left him was being poured back in him, coloring his pale face again with the colors of rebirth.

 

Carefully, he reached a trembling hand to the face that was looming so close to his face, brushing it with his fingers as if to make sure it wasn't an illusion. And finally, his mouth opened:

 

"Why... now?" he asked weakly.

 

Kris remained silent for a second before replying in a murmur:

 

"I don't know. I just... don't know."

 

"I was ready to give up on you." Lay breathed as he closed his eyes again.

 

"I'm sorry, Lay. I'm sorry." The taller man's words were barely audible.

 

None of them spoke for an entire minute, but words were not needed at that moment. The only thing Kris needed was to feel the warmth coming back to Lay's cheeks against his palms, and the only thing Lay needed was the contact of Kris against him.

 

"Kris... you're really back." He finally said, as if he still couldn't believe it.

 

"I promised you." The older male merely replied before closing his lips over Lay's.

 

They gently tasted each other, their lips meeting in soft touches, playing and teasing the other only to end up pressing eagerly into a so-long-awaited kiss. This was nothing comparable to the first time when Kris had burst in on Lay, this was what the boy had been yearning for without really hoping it.

 

When they pulled apart and their gazes met, Kris could see expectation in Lay's eyes, expectation for something more than a mere kiss, something that would give the word 'bond' its full meaning. It was at that moment that the last remains of doubt in Kris' mind about a link between them vanished completely. Lay was his, and his only, and his duty was to never let him go again.

 

Lips met once more, souls merged together.

 

Neither space nor time mattered any more.

 

If the legend was true, then they would meet again, maybe in another place, another era, but they would meet again.

 

And when they would, he'd never leave his side any more.

 

Somewhere, a female weaver smiled before vanishing into silver stardust, her mission finally completed.

 

-End-

 

 

I'm finally done with the story. Haha. I hope you liked it! :)

 

I want to write a new story. Any suggestions for the characters? Preferably EXO pairings. XD