Eight

Animal Planet

Hoya smiled faintly as he looked down at the sleeping figure on the couch. After he had finally decided that it was best to get Dongwoo home, the alien had collapsed on the couch and Hoya was simply too tired to try and urge him to go upstairs. Anyway, it was best if Dongwoo slept right now, since the alien had been saying some weird things. It wasn’t as though he had drunk that much - only a couple glasses of wine - but it had definitely hit the pink haired man hard. They had barely finished their main course when Dongwoo had decided that he didn’t like the table decorations - he said that they were blocking his view of Hoya - and had promptly decided to attempt to throw them out of the window. Using his powers. The restaurant owner wasn’t impressed when he saw his precious glassware on the floor, thankfully he missed the part where it was actually levitating.

 

Luckily, Dongwoo managed to charm the bemused owner around - in Italian, of course - and he said he wouldn’t make them pay for the chipped ornament. Hoya decided that it was probably a little risky to allow Dongwoo to stay long enough to order dessert, so he told the alien that they would be leaving. Dongwoo hadn’t taken that announcement happily, pouting and trying to use aegyo on Hoya to make him stay. When Hoya had dragged the reluctant extraterrestrial out of the restaurant, Dongwoo had stayed long enough to drain the rest of the bottle of wine.

 

That, it turned out, was Hoya’s greatest mistake.

 

Though the car was parked right outside the restaurant, it took Hoya five minutes to get the wobbly alien into the vehicle, having to stop every two seconds or so to say something like; “No, Dongwoo. You can’t set fire to that bush.” and “Dongwoo, will you please turn that street lamp back on”. When Dongwoo was finally seated in the car and buckled in - after Hoya had made sure that the child lock was on - Hoya climbed into the driver’s seat and placed the key in the ignition.

 

Before Hoya could make any move to reverse out of the parking spot, Dongwoo stopped him.

 

“Okami-san.” He started, his words slurred. Hoya turned to face the alien with a look of unhidden annoyance. Dongwoo was smiling, his eyes glazed.

 

“What?” He asked, trying to summon some patience.

 

Dongwoo grinned wider. “My Okami-san… My super fluffy Koinu-chan… Thank you for being so good to me. You’re the bestest ambassador I could ever have asked for when I came to Earth.” He looked down in a display of shyness that was odd to see from Dongwoo. “Actually, when I came to Earth I was only bothered about going to see all of the kawaii things in Japan… I wanted to meet all the cute animals and buy everything about Hello Kitty-chan… I didn’t think anywhere in the world had anything cuter than Japan. But then I met you, Koinu-chan, and you are the cutest thing in the whole wide universe!”


Dongwoo opened his arms wide to express his words, his clumsy hand hitting Hoya’s hand in the process. Dongwoo didn’t even notice though, he continued his long-winded speech.

 

“And I really do still want to see all of the cute things. There are so many things that I learned about that I haven’t seen yet, and I really really really want to see them.”

 

“I know, Dongwoo, I promise we’ll get you to Japan soon.” Hoya took a deep breath, preparing to tell Dongwoo just how soon he could go to the place of his dreams. “Actually, I wanted to-”

 

Dongwoo interrupted him though, looking up to meet Hoya’s eyes. “But Koinu-chan, the thing is that…. I want to see them all with you.”

 

Hoya’s mouth opened at that. “What-”

 

“I don’t want to leave Koinu-chan…” Dongwoo whispered.

 

Hoya shook his head. “But what about Japan? And why are you calling me that new name? I thought I was Okami-san.”

 

“You were Okami-san before, but now you’re Koinu-chan!” Dongwoo announced as if it was the simplest thing ever, which did nothing to help relieve Hoya’s confusion.

 

“Dongwoo, you’re not making much sense right now…” He said, and Dongwoo sighed a deep sigh of frustration.

 

“But I just said it!” He whined. “I do want to go to Japan - lots and lots and lots and lots - but I also want to stay with Koinu-chan forever and ever, because Koinu-chan is nice and cute and really, really sweet!”

 

Hoya looked away from Dongwoo’s face, which was bright with excitement at his declaration. “Dongwoo, I think we should get you home-”

 

“I don’t wanna go home. I want to stay here on Earth with Koinu-chan and Kirin-chan and Neko-chan and Luna-chan and-”

 

“I meant my house, not Mato.”

 

“Oh. Good. Because Koinu-chan’s home is my home now…” Dongwoo said, “And I like it very, very much. It’s very splendorous. Yes, Koinu-chan, perhaps we should go back now.”

 

Hoya took that as affirmation, and immediately twisted the key in the ignition. Before long they were on the way home and Dongwoo was listing all of the things that he loved about Hoya’s home, not least the bedding in Dongwoo’s bedroom which he found so very soft, and the lamp which exhibited what he called a ‘very ethereal glow’ onto the room.

 

Not a minute too soon they had arrived back at Hoya’s home, and Hoya struggled to get Dongwoo out of the car. It took some coaxing but eventually the two of them managed to get inside the house, Hoya carrying most of Dongwoo’s body weight as they stumbled to the couch - the stairs up to the alien’s room an unsurpassable task in Dongwoo’s current state.

 

When he finally got the alien laid down, Hoya stood up to leave. He was about to just leave Dongwoo there, but at the last moment he decided that maybe he should get the drunk man some blankets. It wasn’t really a necessity - it was a warm night and Dongwoo was warm blooded anyway, but Hoya just felt this need to look after Dongwoo in his vulnerable state.

 

“I’ll be back in a moment.” He whispered to Dongwoo who nodded slowly, his eyes half closed. Hoya couldn’t help the smile that tugged at the corners of his lips at the sight of Dongwoo there, his lids heavy and his cheeks rosy from the wine, his lips were parted slightly and Hoya couldn’t stop his gaze from landing on them.

 

He found himself wondering how those lips would feel on his - would they be soft? Probably, nothing about Dongwoo was rough at all. Would they be warm, like the rest of Dongwoo? Hoya almost wanted to lean down there and then and find out.

 

“Koinu-chan?” Dongwoo’s voice broke his thoughts and Hoya gasped, standing up and running out of the room. His heart pounded against his ribs as he tried to shake away the thoughts that he had been having. Why was he imagining kissing Dongwoo? That was completely out of the realms of acceptability. He clenched his fist, trying to pull him out of the daze that he was in. What had he wanted? Oh, blankets.

 

Hoay tried to busy himself with trying to find some bedding to make Dongwoo comfortable downstairs, and it almost worked. By the time he had arrived back to Dongwoo’s side, a pile of his most comfortable blankets in his arms, he had almost forgotten about his little daydream. But the moment he saw Dongwoo lying there, his small body curled up on the couch and his pink hair fanned out around him, he knew he was in trouble.

 

Dongwoo looked asleep, his eyes now completely shut and his breathing steady. Hoya tried his best to be silent, walking over slowly to muffle the sound of his footsteps. He crouched down by Dongwoo’s side and covered the alien with the blankets before standing up to go to his own bed.

 

A featherlight touch ran down his arm. “Thank you…” A sleepy voice came from behind him, and and Hoya span around to find Dongwoo looking up at him. Dongwoo’s fingertips travelled down to Hoya’s hand, squeezing it softly before letting it fall back to the couch again.

 

Hoya’s hand came to scratch the back of his neck in an embarrassed gesture, his hand still tingling from Dongwoo’s touch. “I thought you were asleep.”

 

Dongwoo shook his head. “I am very sleepy, but I wanted Koinu-chan to come back before I went to sleep.” He paused for a moment before his eyes widened a little. “I’m sorry I’m too tired to watch the movie.”

 

Hoya cracked a smile, his fingertips running softly over the pink hair. “It’s alright. You don’t have to apologize.”

 

Dongwoo nuzzled his face in the pillow, a worried expression coming over his features. “Koinu-chan, are you angry at me for drinking too much of the pink stuff? Because I ruined your night out?”

 

Hoya shook his head. “No, Dongwoo, of course I’m not angry at you.”

 

It was true - although his meal had been interrupted by Dongwoo’s antics, he had still really enjoyed his time alone with Dongwoo. Just sitting across the table from him, watching the alien laugh and smile… it pleased Hoya to know that Dongwoo was enjoying himself.

 

“Good.” Dongwoo murmured. “Because I never ever ever want Koinu-chan to be angry at me, because Koinu-chan has been so nice to me and… because I think that I might like Koinu-chan.”

 

He mumbled the last part so quietly, but Hoya knew what he heard. He needed to clarify though. Hoya felt his heart pounding against his ribs as he opened his mouth, willing the shaky words out. “...What did you just say, Dongwoo?” He asked. He kept his gaze on the floor, feeling almost shy - an emotion that was completely unfamiliar for the businessman to feel. When Hoya received no answer he repeated himself again, finally forcing himself to look up at Dongwoo.

 

He almost laughed when he realised that the alien wasn’t responding because he had already drifted off to dreamland. His pink lips parted as the deep breathes of sleep went through him. Hoya stared at the smaller man’s mouth, the lips that had whispered out the sudden confession.

 

He sighed, Dongwoo’s quiet words running through his head but still not making much sense to Hoya. How could Dongwoo like him? It didn’t make sense at all - there had been no signs, nothing to show that such an admission of feelings was coming. But the way that it had been said and the timing, it all pointed towards Dongwoo actually having feelings for Hoya.

 

That was something that Hoya wasn’t prepared to face.

 

What was even worse was the fact that Hoya’s own heart was racing at a million beats per minute as he looked down at the sleeping alien. It was a sensation that was completely foreign to him in a way that was almost familiar. It didn’t make sense at all, and that’s what scared Hoya the most. He liked things that added up, things that were predictable and understandable using simple logic. Logic didn’t even begin to explain the way that Hoya’s breath caught in his throat whenever he looked at the serene sleeping alien, or the way he couldn’t stop his hand from reaching out and brushing a stray hair away from Dongwoo’s face.

 

He probably would have stayed there all night, if it hadn’t been for his brother.

 

Hoya heard the sound of the front door opening, hushed voices drifting down the hallway. He could hear the unmistakable sound of his brother’s laughter, before the door shut closed again. Sungyeol appeared a few moments later, his cheeks flushed and a blinding grin on his face. He faltered once he saw Hoya on the couch, nervously tugging on his hair. “Oh, I didn’t expect to run into you this late.”

 

The elder quirked his eyebrow at him. “It isn’t even midnight…”

 

“Oh… well, I guess I just wasn’t expecting to see you.”

 

“You weren’t expecting to see me in my own house?”

 

Sungyeol huffed, stomping his foot in a mini tantrum. “I meant I wasn’t expecting to see you right this second! Geez, why do you enjoy torturing me so much?”

 

Hoya shushed him, his head motioning towards the sleeping man at his side. Hoya lowered his voice before he continued on. “Because teasing you is my right as your older brother. I assume your night went well. Do I need to have a conversation with Myungsoo about the etiquette of dropping off a date at the end of the night? I’m sure the neighbors might frown upon you two making out at the front door.”

 

“We weren’t making out!.” Sungyeol had the decency to look scandalized. “It was just a kiss! And Myungsoo is already scared enough of you so don’t.”

 

Hoya threw his hands up in surrender. “I’m just joking with you. I’m glad your date went well, and I know that Myungsoo takes care of you.”

 

“Probably because you threatened to kill him if he didn’t!” Sungyeol argued.

 

“I didn’t threaten to kill him, for your information. Myungsoo understands the art of subtlety, unlike other people.”

 

Sungyeol scoffed, collapsing onto the couch next to his brother. He peered over at the alien who was sleeping soundly. “What’s up with him? I didn’t even think it was possible for Dongwoo to fall asleep before you.”

 

“He didn’t so much fall asleep, more like passed out. I’m lucky that I managed to get him out of the car and safely onto a soft surface. For a second there I thought he would collapse on the floor.” Hoya admitted worriedly.

 

Sungyeol tilted his head as he listened to the information, a confused expression on his face. “What do you mean passed out? Was he exposed to something that made him feel sick? What were you guys even doing?”

 

“Nothing weird, I swear! I took him out to dinner, I was going to tell him the news about Japan, that he would be able to leave next month, and I ordered us a couple glasses of wine-”

 

“You did what!” Sungyeol jumped off the couch looking at Hoya in alarm, who glared at him for the sudden movement that risked Dongwoo waking up. “You gave him wine?”

 

“Well, yeah. I thought it might be nice to celebrate so I got a bottle for the both of us, but Dongwoo didn’t exactly handle it in the best way, or share actually. But he had fun, so it was okay. I’ve never seen someone get drunk so fast, or come down so quickly for that matter.”

 

“That’s because he’s not supposed to have any! He told me that alcohol affects Matoki really badly, most of them avoid it completely. I don’t even let him handle any of the cleaning products that have alcohol in it, just to be safe.”

 

“Oh.” Hoya said, suddenly feeling very guilty. “I didn’t know… he’s never said anything to me about it. He doesn’t seem hurt or anything, just… really, really happy.”

 

“But Dongwoo is always happy.” Sungyeol argued and Hoya shrugged his shoulders.

 

“I don’t know, he just seemed really excited to be having dinner with me. He didn’t mention that any food or drink was off limits when I suggested we go out for dinner. When our server brought us the wine he didn’t say he couldn’t have any, he only said he wanted more.”

 

Sungyeol sighed, running his hands through his hair. “Hyung… don’t beat yourself up about it. I’m sure he didn’t realized that wine was alcoholic, otherwise he would have told you. You didn’t force him to drink it, so it’s not your fault.”

 

“But I’m supposed to take care of him-”

 

“You did. You are, right now. Obviously alcohol doesn’t hurt Dongwoo, he just has a nonexistent alcohol tolerance and I understand why they might discourage drinking on Mato. But you got Dongwoo home safely, you put him to bed and made sure he was alright. You could’ve just tossed him on the couch and went to bed, but you didn’t. You’re still sitting here with him, checking on him. You are taking care of him the right way hyung, you shouldn’t ever doubt that.”

 

Hoya nodded, his eyes glancing back over the sleeping figure next to him. “Do you think-” He stopped himself, but Sungyeol urged him to continue.

 

“What is it hyung? You can talk to me about anything. I know Dongwoo the best so I might be able to help.”

 

Hoya let out a sigh, his gaze still focused on the pink haired man, the peaceful expression on his face as he slept. “I know that when we drink, sometimes we say things we don’t mean. I know that Matoki are supposed to be honest, that they only tell the truth.” Hoya shook his head, trying to figure out how to phrase what he wanted to say. “I don’t know… maybe alcohol changes that, alters their brain chemistry, their nature… makes that honesty disappear. Is it possible that Dongwoo could say something accidentally?”

 

Sungyeol looked confused, the thought of his best friend being dishonest hard to comprehend. “Why? Did Dongwoo say something cruel or hurtful?”

 

Hoya shook his head. “No, nothing like that.” In fact it was the opposite, saying that he wanted to stay in Japan, wanted to stay with him… surely that must have just been the alcohol’s influence. “You know, it’s nothing really. We all have said things we didn’t mean, it’s not a big deal. I’ll stay down here with Dongwoo a little longer, just to make sure that everything is alright. Why don’t you head up to bed, I’ll take it from here.”

 

Sungyeol nodded, wishing the both of them goodnight before disappearing up the stairs. After watching him go, Hoya turned back to Dongwoo, who was still sleeping soundly. He brushed the pink bangs off of the alien’s face, a hundred questions running through his mind as he watched him. But one train of thought stood out from amongst the others; it was highly likely that Dongwoo wouldn’t remember what he said… that his confession to Hoya would be lost amongst the haze of the alien’s first night under the influence. There was a chance that Dongwoo might not realize that he admitted that he had feelings for Hoya.

 

And if that was the case, if Dongwoo woke up and continued on like normal, would Hoya have the guts to ever admit what really happened that night?

 

Or would he take the easy way out and let Dongwoo think - let himself think - that those softly spoken words from the alien weren’t the truth… but a drunken mistake that would be better left in the past?

PageBreak.jpg
A/N: All the cute things are happening now and it’s making us squee!

Ahhh, Hoya looking after drunk Dongwoo, what could be better?! And his caring side is coming out (who knew you had it in you, Okami-san?)

tumblr_mgezpsbU6M1qjq8gao2_500.gif
 

Did you see the new name for Hoya? Are you confused? All will be revealed in no time!

In the meantime, drop by with a comment and tell us what you think!


Jade & Ray

-

Jade: I just wanted to say a big sorry that you've been having to wait for updates on this fic. It's my fault - It's me that has Animal Planet on my computer so Ray has been unable to update, and I have been away for too long because of school and work and my own idiocy.

You should not have to wait much longer for the rest of the updates - I'm going to space them out enough to make you drool for the Yadong fluff, so I won't be posting the next chappie tomorrow, but it won't be too long, I promise.