1/1

faking smiles

minseok’s downfall started on a bright sunny monday morning when he was late for school. of course it had to be the lame excuse that he had overslept and with no one in his house, there was no one else to wake him. he hoped that nothing bad was going to happen within the class because knowing them they were the ones that were the loudest when their teacher wasn’t there.

minseok heaved a breath when he saw the school up ahead and his legs started to ache from running so far. he ran faster, ignoring the look coming from the guard house and quickly taking off his shoes. he didn’t even go to the office and opted to run into the classroom instead. as he stood outside the classroom, he took a deep breath and opened the door. he ducked because knowing park chanyeol something would have hit his face.

“damnnit,” he heard chanyeol say and smiled before standing up straight.

“watch your language mr. park,” he said as he walked to the podium. “and good morning class.”

and yes kim minseok was a teacher, one of the youngest teacher in the history of the ever so famous daehee high.

minseok’s eyes scanned the room, looking to make sure that all the seats were taken and not empty. he sighed when he saw that two desks were indeed empty. running his hand through his not so neatly styled hair minseok’s gaze became hard.

“where’s sehun and lu han?” he asked turning his attention to chanyeol and the boy sitting next to him, byun baekhyun.

“sehun said they were running late. something about taking after the oh family had with the lu family.” baekhyun said leaning onto chanyeol’s shoulder. “you should know by now, saeng, that when there’s a family party that they’re always going to be late.”

the teacher wanted so badly to roll his eyes but refrained from doing so. “well unlike you, i don’t live in the world of the underground and families like yours.”

“which none of us seem to understand,” another student said raising his hand. do kyungsoo of the do family was looking at minseok with those large eyes of his. “when you’re a teacher at daehee, you should be one step foot into the world of the underground or you have a family like ours.”

minseok sighed and shook his head, smiling just a little bit. “i’m different,” he spoke quietly. “but that’s beside the point, let’s just continue with other things for today.”

kyungsoo raised his hand again. “why were you late, saeng?”

“because i was.” minseok said quickly. “there’s nothing else to say about it. now…”

but there was something else to say about it and the empty seats of both sehun and lu han told him that everything that went down the night before was real.

minseok wanted to cry.

-

the day before, minseok stood outside of the classroom listening to the words coming out of his “boyfriend’s” mouth. his eyes were wide in shock and tears threatened to spill over with his face paling with every hurtful word.  he was leaning against the door frame with his eyes trained in front of him as he held onto the frame with balled fists. beside him stood a girl who only had a smile on her face the more she listened to the words. she was standing on the other side of the door frame also leaning against the wood. with her arms crossed she clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes.

“see? there’s no way that sehun oppa would ever love you,” she sneered. “you may have been welcomed into the oh family but you’ll ever be seen as sehunnie oppa’s lover.”

minseok said nothing as he looked the girl next to him. he cleared his throat and smiled bitterly. “and neither will you. he doesn’t love you either, baek mihi.  he’ll never love either one of us.”

mihi was silent as she listened to the words that minseok spoke. she looked into the sad eyes of the man standing next to her and saw nothing but pain. pain that she knew she would never get to live through. pain that seemed to be there for many, many years.

“you’ve been hurt before, haven’t you saeng?” she asked quietly all her sass leaving her. there was something in her teacher’s tone that made her question if she done the right thing.

minseok tore himself away from the frame of the door and smiling his normal teacher smile. “we’ve all been hurt,” he said flicking something away from his white dress shirt. “me included. i should go. i have papers to grade and teacher things to do. thank you for this, mihi ah. now i know to prepare myself once again.”

“again?” she asked unsure if she heard the man right.

“again.” he replied as he walked away from his student. when he sure that he was far enough away, he leaned against the wall and covered his face. of course the students were playing a game on him. of course everything wasn’t as it was.

of course minseok was to get left in the dark again.

it happened all the time.

minseok sobbed.

-

the day passed on slowly and quietly which was strange for a school like daehee because normally for a school like theirs, there was all sorts of mischief caused by the students. that day, however, it was like the students were mourning something or someone.

“oh, minseok,” a voice called starling the teacher out of his train of thoughts. he looked to kim jongdae, a coworker but minseok’s best friend, who had a small smile on his cat like face. he walked over the older’s desk and sat on it. “did you hear about baek mihi?”

“i did,” he whispered. “it’s a shame.”

“she was a bright young girl and i hear that the baek family is looking for her killer.”

minseok cringed at the thought. he didn’t look to the other teacher and opted to look away. “i heard,” he whispered once more.

“there’s a rumor going around that it was the oh and the lu families that killed her. sehun and lu han weren’t in class today?”

the homeroom teacher didn’t say anything as he stood up and started to walk away. he ignored the surprised gasps coming from his friend and the words the quickly left the other’s mouth. minseok couldn’t listen to it anymore.

-

“what are you doing?” minseok asked sehun as he walked through the teacher’s front door. the student had his brows furrowed and his arms crossed over his chest. the younger looked upset the more he stared at the older.

“coming into your house.”

“why?”

“because i missed my boyfriend,” sehun replied with a smile and minseok flinched just a bit.

“oh.”

“is there something wrong, saeng?”

minseok forced a smile and shook his head. “nothing. where’s lu han?”

the student’s eyes flashed brightly and a brighter smile lit his face. (the teacher tried not to scream at the unfairness of it all.) sehun clasped his hands together and rocked on his heels. “something about staying after school to talk with kim saeng.”

“oh jongdae?”

sehun shrugged and he stopped rocking on his heels. “is there something that you need to say?”

minseok blinked in confusion and shook his head. “i don’t think so. why?”

the taller narrowed his eyes but shook his head and minseok flashed a small smile. he moved to sit on minseok’s dirty couch and opted to stare at the wall instead of looking to his older lover. before sehun had a chance to speak, there’s a knock on the door which caused the student to frown as he watched the other go and answer the door.

“oh lu han,” he heard minseok’s voice say. “what are you doing here?”

“i’m looking for sehun,” lu han’s voice was rather happy but the smile on sehun’s face is happier. he makes his entrance to the two not before long, throwing his arms over lu han’s shoulders.

“you’re here!” the younger yelped happily.

minseok noticed the smile on his “boyfriend’s” face and he looked to the ground. with his eyes closed, he made his way back to the living room and sat where sehun sat, waiting for the others to make their way to where he was.

“why are you here?” he asked when they both make an appearance. sehun is clinging to the chinese exchange student and the older rolled his eyes but patted the other’s shoulder.

“i wanted to tell sehun that it’s done.”

sehun paused and detangled himself from the other. there’s a smile on his face before he’s looking to minseok. “good,” he said and the teacher has to stare at the two to figure out what he was talking about.

“what did you do?” he asked once more, slowly getting tired of asking questions that he knows is going to have some type of cryptic response.

“got rid of a problem,” lu han announced with a smirk. he bounced over to the teacher and sat next to him, laying his head onto the older’s lap. “a very bad problem.”

minseok narrowed his eyes. “a problem?”

he heard sehun huff before the youngest of three made his way to the other’s and sat on the other side of minseok before latching onto his arm. he pretends to glare at lu han but minseok knew better. he saw the love in sehun’s eyes and he saw how jealous he gotten whe lu han decided to sit next to minseok and lie on the elder.

“a big problem.”

it took minseok no more than a few seconds to realize what the two had done. he tried not to let the other two know what they were talking about but he takes a second to close his eyes.

“i take it, you’re not going to tell me more about this big problem.”

“it’s nothing for you to worry about, saeng,” lu han said with a bright smile. “i promise.”

minseok flashed a small smile, “i feel like it is.”

lu han and sehun blinked. “stop faking your smiles. there’s something wrong, isn’t there?”

the teacher shook his head and once again faked a smile. “nothing’s wrong.”

but that was a lie and they all knew it.

-

the two stay at minseok’s house for a little while longer before he pushed them out. “you have homework to do,” he told the two. “go do them.”

when he was by himself and sure that both lu han and sehun are gone, his legs wobbled and give out causing him to fall to the ground. a sob ripped through his throat and his hand goes to cover his mouth. his body shook

they got rid of a problem and there was only one thing that minseok could think of.

baek mihi.  

got rid in daehee only meant one thing.

they got rid of mihi.

they killed her.

minseok cried.

-

minseok found himself standing on the roof, the breeze gently swaying him. he stared at the scenery of seoul and how beautiful it looked in the bright summer sky. he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes and felt the strong resolve crumble ever so slowly.

yes he did hear about the death of baek mihi and yes both the oh and the lu families were the ones involved with her death. mihi died for him, for telling him about the real reason sehun had came up to him months before. minseok couldn’t believe how stupid he was for not realizing it long before.

the teacher felt his knees give out and he fell to the floor, the short legs sliding under his body. he covered his face and tried not to scream but sobs, gut wrenching and pain filling sobs, came from his mouth.

everything that happened was his fault.

baek mihi’s death was his fault.

minseok’s sobs didn’t die down when he felt a hand against his shoulder nor did they die down when a soft breath whispered against his ear.

“saeng,” a voice called out. “stop crying.”

the sobbing man forcibly pulled himself out of the arms of one of the boys standing behind him. just from the feeling of the hands and the voice in his ear, he could tell who they were. wiping his tears, minseok tried to take deep breaths.

“you didn’t have to do it,” he whispered keeping his back towards the duo. “you didn’t have to kill mihi.”

he heard sehun sigh and steps coming towards him. he fought against the hold only to be yanked and forced to look up. sehun stood there with his hands against his shoulders and an expression that had minseok wondering how someone like him could kill so ruthlessly. minseok’s gaze went to lu han who held a grim expression but caught the teacher’s eyes. he narrowed them for just a moment before they soften and he shook his head.

“it had to be done,” was all sehun had spoke. “she told you things that you didn’t ne-“

“that i was a part of a bet?” minseok almost yelled. “and that your stupid bet was to see who could break the only teacher that isn’t part of a crime family.”

the two students were quiet.

“well you won your bet and killed a classmate. i wonder what your prize is.”

once more the two were quiet and minseok stood up, turning his back to his students again. his gaze once more rested on the skyline as he wrapped his arms around his body.

“sehunnie,” the teacher whispered quietly. “do you love me?”

it took a few moments before the boy in questioned answered. “i’m sorry saeng, i don’t.”

minseok nodded at the words and tried to smile his best at the seoul skyline. maybe if he smiled then he could pretend that everything was going to be alright.

“but i do,” lu han’s chimed in. “i love you saeng.”

“and i can’t love you.”

“i know.”

minseok turned around to the two students behind him. he walked over to them and grabbed their hands, clasping the two together. “but you will learn to love each other. i can see it in your eyes. lu han, you don’t truly love me. you love someone else.”

“saeng,” they both started but he shook his head.

“i know that my job isn’t done but when it is, please tell me that you don’t need me anymore because then i leave go and not return.”

-

there was word going around the baek family of who was responsible for mihi’s death. word of a teacher she tried to protect.

“kill him,” was what mihi’s father said through angry tears. “kill him.”

mihi’s protection failed.

-

minseok felt his head pound in ache as he sat up from his table. his eyes stared at the small dark space between his living room and his kitchen. closing his eyes, he stood up and felt his way to his couch only to open his eyes and stare at the space once more.

“you should come out of the shadows, mr. assassin,” he addressed. “unlike you, i’m not going to bite.”

it was quite minus the soft footsteps of the other person inside of minseok’s apartment. the assassin, of course, was wearing all black from head to toe but he wasn’t wearing a mask. he could see the confusion in the other man’s black eyes, questioning on how minseok knew that he was there. the teacher’s eyes traveled to the silencer in the assassin’s hands and smiled softly.

“i did teach at a school with crime families. it’s hard not to pick up some of the things they sometimes teach.” he said answering the silent question. “do make it quick and quiet. you don’t want people to hear you now.”

to say that the assassin was confused even more would be the right thing but he raised his arm with the gun and pulled the trigger.

minseok only smiled.

-

“kim minseok was a well liked teacher,” kim jongdae’s voice wavered as he spoke to minseok’s former class. “he loved every single one of you and wanted the best in your life. he was that one teacher that really did care for all of you and it’s sad to say that it’s that caring and kind heart of his that forces me to bring the news. 

“as of yesterday afternoon, your teacher was killed. i’m sorry for you lo-“

a bang was heard from the one of the desks in the back and minseok’s friend kept his head down, fully knowing who it was.

“i’m sorry for your loss.” he finished to the class. “i’m sorry for mine.”  

-

this is the story of kim minseok and how someone who is kind, loving and caring entered the world no one should have.

kim minseok was used to being everyone’s last choice and this time it was no different. death chose him last in this small tale but he shall always be the one that everyone loved the most.


miki says: i'm sorry that this took forever to upload. i wrote it many, many times and didn't like it at all. i finally came up with one that i liked somewhat. i looked it over for mistakes but found nothing,. if you do find a mistake, please let me know or if you don't understand something!

kthxbye! :D