An Ethical Romance

An Ethical Romance

“Get your hands off me! Let me go!!”

The girl was thrown to the streets, “It is against the law to trespass. You are lucky we didn’t call the cops this time. Just stay out!” The two men shut the door before the girl retaliated again.

The girl got up and started banging on the door again, “I should be the one calling the cops! What are doing in there is unethical!!!” The girl knew she couldn’t get back in so she just huffed in annoyance before kicking the door. “I will get those pictures and shut you guys down. Just you wait and see!”

 

-------------------

 

(Meanwhile inside the building)

 

The two men walked back into the laboratory room, “That girl was strong…”

“She bit me too!”

A girl in a lab coat came out of another room to see the two guys talking about their intruder, “So she got in this time?”

“Taeyeon you had to of been there! She is like a pest and relentless.”

“Oh really? How many times has she been around?”

“It started with the one man protest but now she is finding ways to come in. It is good that she can’t get in here but she got into the front entrance of the building today.”

“Ah those people from PETA are like leaches. Why do they think we are always doing something bad in here?” Taeyeon stuck her hands in her pocket and continued to go towards her desk.

The two guys followed Taeyeon still talking about the girl, “You know if that girl wasn’t so annoying, I would date her.”

Taeyeon’s ears perked up again, “She is pretty?”

“Taeyeon where have you been these days not to notice her?? She is very pretty but I could never date a girl that acts like that.”

“I guess you’re right. I don’t like it when people make assumptions without the facts.” Taeyeon decided to resume her work by compiling the data she just gathered from her recent experiment.

 

---------------------

 

Taeyeon yawned as she walked down the street alone. She was tired from staying later than she planned finishing up a grant she was writing. If she didn’t need the money badly to fund her research she would have put off the grant for another month but seeing how she needed a new piece of equipment, she needed to write one quickly, but this meant added stress and longer days at work.

While on her stroll to the bus stop her eyes lingered on the bar coming into her view, “One drink won’t hurt right? Just one to relax…” Taeyeon didn’t like going to bars alone but today she felt like she really needed the liquor to calm her aching brain.

Taeyeon entered and was happy to see that there weren’t many people there. She didn’t want to be bothered by anyone so a nice quiet bar was perfect. She quickly ordered a rum and coke and watched the baseball game that was playing on one of the televisions. She didn’t really like baseball but it was something to do while she finished the liquid she ordered.

However her quiet night was interrupted by a girl who sat near her. The girl was beyond stunning but Taeyeon was hesitant to start a conversation with the patron because she looked beyond pissed off. On the other hand the girl wanted someone to vent to and Taeyeon was the closest being, “You know life! Just life! Agh!!!” Taeyeon was a bit shocked when the girl just hit her head on the table. Yet the girl recovered quickly, “What do I do?”

Taeyeon looked around hoping to see someone else she could be talking to but to her misfortune, Taeyeon was the only one in her view, “Uh…I am not sure?”

The girl was surprised someone answered her rhetorical question but the girl in front of her was rather cute and looked to be a good listener. “I am Jessica.”

Taeyeon saw the sudden mood change into someone much softer than her initial take on the girl, “Taeyeon.”

“Sorry for my outburst. I just had a rough day…”

“Oh? I kind of had a rough one too.”

“I bet yours didn’t result in you getting thrown onto the streets?”

Taeyeon laughed, “No I can’t say mine did.”

“So why was your day so bad?” Jessica quickly ordered a beer before taking a seat closer to Taeyeon so she could talk to the girl better.

“Oh you know deadlines and such. I think I am overworking myself.”

“Then let’s not talk about work. I think we are both tired of thinking about it all day.”

Taeyeon gave a comfortable laugh, “That might be a good idea.”

“So what do you normally do on nights after work?”

“Go home and sleep.”

Jessica leaned onto the table, “Your life sounds boring…”

“I mean I go out sometimes with the other workers but I don’t have any other reasons to go out.”

“What about friends or boyfriend?”

Taeyeon chuckled, “I am happy being single and I have friends but I don’t make an effort to meet them.”

“You are strange…”

“What about you then?”

“Mostly go out with friends…but I have something I am very passionate about that takes up most of my free time. Have you ever believed in something so strongly that you would do anything to fulfill it?”

Taeyeon thought about why she went into her career and what brought her to the point she is now:

 

Taeyeon stood in front of her teacher wondering how to answer her question, “I don’t really know…I haven’t thought about it.”

“Taeyeon you will have to start applying for university soon. You should think more carefully about what you want in life. Do you not have any goals?”

Taeyeon thought about her goals…did she really have any? “I just want a job where I can help people…”

“Like a doctor or something like a teacher?”

“I don’t know if I could do those…I am bad in front of a lot of people and having someone’s life in my hands is scary.”

Taeyeon’s teacher put her hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder, “If you need help I am always here to help.” Taeyeon just smiled when her favorite teacher reminded her of why she loved this class even though she did poorly in this subject.

 

Four and a half years later Taeyeon was standing in front of a grave. By this time she shed all the tears that she could, “you know I came to tell you I graduated today. I know I wasn’t the perfect student but you were the perfect teacher. I wish you were here to see this.” Taeyeon took the degree out of her backpack, “See…’Kim Taeyeon Bachelors of Chemistry’ I did it. I finally am chemist like you. I am also here to tell you that I am going to graduate school. I don’t want anyone else to suffer like you again. I found a way to help people…”

 

5 years later Taeyeon walked into her new life. She was one of the many post-docs in this new work place but she finally had the job she wanted. It was here that she would find it. She will never let anyone else suffer from cancer. She knows she can fix it…

 

Taeyeon looked at the girl in front of her and smiled, “I think everyone finds a passion. It is our passion that keeps us moving forward. I think that is why I love my job no matter the hardships that come our way.”

“Exactly! That is why I will keep doing what is right no matter how many times I get kicked out!”

Taeyeon just laughed at the girl’s enthusiasm. Never had she met a girl like her before. It was like this girl relit the passion Taeyeon had for career again.

 

----------------------

 

Taeyeon walked into work all smiles. Surprisingly she had a very good night yesterday with Jessica. They talked about their likes and dislikes, almost like she found someone she could relate to well.

“Oh look who is smiling!”

Taeyeon looked up to see one of her fellow post-docs, “Is that surprising?”

“Humm you only smile when something of yours gets accepted...so you finished that grant?”

Taeyeon’s mood turned sour, “Sadly no...”

“Then why are you all smiles?”

“I met someone last night...”

“You are dating finally! Oh man we need to get the guys together and celebrate!!!”

“Let me finish! It is a friend! New friend.” Taeyeon was getting flustered because she did secretly wish that this could turn into something more.

“Fine fine. How about we go out and celebrate when you finish writing that grant?”

Taeyeon threw on her lab coat, “Now that deserves celebrating.”

------------------

 

A week later Taeyeon finished writing her grant and the guys decided to treat Taeyeon to drinks that night. There were five people total that decided to go out with Taeyeon to celebrate but it really was just a reason for them to go drinking.

“No you can’t get me drunk!”

“Taeyeon you are no fun. You are just work work work.”

“What is wrong with that?”

“Just let yourself relax and take the day off. You know you can do that since there isn’t much pressure anymore.”

“Yea but but...”

“No buts, you know we are right.”

Taeyeon sighed in defeat. She knew she should just let herself relax and take it easy. Besides she is with good company that would take care of her if she was to pass out. “Fine. Next round of shots are on me!”

“No no Taeyeon put your money away. I will be paying.” The group started cheering because who didn’t like free drinks?

After half an hour Taeyeon was tipsy but it didn’t matter because she was having a good time catching up on gossip going on in the building they used. Also she liked just spending time talking to her workers even if occasional scientific conversations came up. Taeyeon wasn’t sure if it was the alcohol’s effect or the fact that she was thinking of the girl but she could have sworn she heard Jessica’s voice somewhere in the crowded bar.

She got up but a hand prevented her from furthering into the crowd, “Taeyeon where are you going? You are a bit drunk.”

“Ah don’t worry. I saw a friend and want to say hi.”

Her friend didn’t really believe her but she let Taeyeon go. It took Taeyeon several minutes but her eyes darted to the familiar face. As if the two were magnets, they found their way to each other with ease, “Taeyeon?”

“Oh you do remember me Jessica?”

“Of course! I had a good time with you last time!”

“Me too...”

“Oh...you look a bit drunk. Is there someone to take you home?”

Taeyeon swayed but managed to not fall as she pointed to her group, “Them.”

“From work?”

“Mmm yea...we are celebrating.”

“What is the occasion?”

“Me not being busy anymore!” Taeyeon knew it was the alcohol that was making her blurt out everything but she didn’t care. She knew Jessica wouldn’t judge her.

“Haha that is a weird reason but I like that attitude! Say I was about to leave. Did you want to come with me? Unless you don’t want to leave your friends?” Jessica started biting her lower lip in anticipation which made Taeyeon crumble.

“I will just tell them. Wait a minute.” Taeyeon made it to the table where her friends were but she felt like she was in some sort of fun house bumping into random objects (people) on her way there. “Hey guys!”

“Taeyeon are you okay? You want me to take you home?”

“No need! I am leaving with a friend!”

“Taeyeon I can’t let you leave with a random guy...”

“Not random guy. Girl. She is a girl and my friend.”

“Ah okay. Have a good night then. Take tomorrow off if you aren’t feeling well!”

Taeyeon made her way back to Jessica as she waved her co-workers farewell. “Okay let’s get out of here.”

The two girls started walking around the crowded streets in the city together chatting about small things, “Look a park!” Jessica didn’t wait for Taeyeon’s answer and just pulled her over. The two girls took a seat next to a street performer so they could listen to some music while they took a rest. “You know I love quiet nights like these.”

“Me too and it is better with good company.”

“You know I find you very comfortable to be around and we barely know each other.”

“Same here. I find that strange too.” Taeyeon knew the rest of what she was going to do and say was purely the alcohol taking effect but she would never regret the confidence booster. “Maybe it is because I find you pretty...”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon, “Maybe it is because I find you cute...”

Taeyeon looked back at Jessica, “Are you saying you like me?”

“I hope that doesn’t scare you away. I like you as a...”Jessica’s words were cut off as Taeyeon stole a kiss.

“No it just brings me closer.” Jessica smiled at Taeyeon’s words and leaned in for a longer and more needy kiss.

 

---------------------

 

Taeyeon groaned when she heard her phone go off. She arrived back at her apartment rather late and the alcohol still had its lingering effects. She was not ready to be woken up at this time especially since she had the day off, “Hello?”

“Umm Taeyeon...I know we just got together last night and all but could you do me a huge favor?”

Taeyeon got up out of her bed after hearing the urgency in Jessica’s voice, “What is it?”

“So my parents are out of town and I can’t get a hold of my other friends...”

“Jessica it is okay. What do you need?”

“I kind of am in jail. Do you mind bailing me out?”

“What?! Why are you in jail? And so early in the morning? Wait wait. Explain later. I am coming now.”

 

It didn’t take long for Taeyeon to arrive to the police station and bail her new girlfriend out, “I must say our second official date is much more exciting than the first.”

“I am so sorry Taeyeon...”

“It is okay. Just buy me some coffee and we can go somewhere fun today.”

Jessica grabbed Taeyeon’s hand happily while she skipped to the café nearby.

While they were drinking their coffee Taeyeon started conversation, “So why did you end up there?”

“Ah long story but short one is I got charged with trespassing.”

“Huh? Why would you do that?”

“Remember when I said I was passionate about something and wouldn’t stop even if it meant something bad happened to me?”

“Yea?”

“For those reasons.”

“Ah I see. If it is for that, I guess I can let it slide.” The two drank their coffee in almost silence just soaking in the summer’s heat and enjoying each other’s company, “So you want to do something fun?”

Jessica shook her head yes in anticipation.

 

The two girls got off the bus and Jessica looked around her surroundings, “Beach?”

“Yea! I hardly get time to go outside during the day. The beach looks like fun!”

Jessica laughed at Taeyeon’s dorkiness but she quickly took the girl’s hand while they walked down to the beach.

After a quick stop for ice cream, the girls were walking through the thick tresses of sand, “You know it has been a long time since I dated...”

Jessica looked at the girl while savoring the taste of her ice cream, “I don’t mind but it seems weird that someone wouldn’t date you.”

“I had offers but never took them.”

“Then why me?”

Taeyeon looked up at Jessica and smiled, “Because you are different from them. Like the old me that I locked away. I love your passion for life and for the things you believe in.”

Jessica smiled, “I think you are too good for me.”

“I think you could have done better than me.”

“Nope. You are perfect the way you are.” Jessica went over to throw her napkin away and interlaced her hand with Taeyeon’s, “When we first met, I could tell that you were a very understanding person. I am surprised you talked to me when I was fuming.”

“You looked distressed. It is always good to talk about it.”

“Just like that! You are so caring. Other people would want to ignore me or get away and avoid things like that but you didn’t.”

Taeyeon smiled and gave Jessica a quick peck on her lips before running towards the water, “Come on! Let’s have fun!”

 

-------------------

 

Taeyeon found herself at work again the next day. It was the first time that she didn’t exactly have the motivation to come. Her thoughts lingered on the date she had with Jessica. It was like she wanted to live every day with that much excitement and the presence of Jessica was addicting.

“Hey Taeyeon you missed some wild action here yesterday.”

Taeyeon put down her pipet and looked at her co-worker, “Did something blow up?”

“Something like that. You know that girl that tries to get in every time?”

“Ah the one from PETA?”

“Yep. We had to call the cops on her. She got thrown in jail for trespassing this time.”

“Awesome! So she won’t come by bothering us anymore?”

“I don’t think so.”

Taeyeon started walking back to her desk before turning around to face her co-worker again, “Actually I will miss her.”

“Why?”

“You guys always have so many exciting stories from her to tell me.”

“Taeyeon I am surprised you are always gone when she shows up but if you met her, I am sure you would be more than happy to see her gone. She is a monster.”

Taeyeon shrugged it off, “I guess I won’t get that chance.”

 

---------------------

 

Hands were covering her eyes, “Jessica where are you taking me?”

“No you can’t know till we get there.”

Taeyeon was excited for what Jessica had planned for their 1 month anniversary although it felt like they had been together for over a year already, “Now?”

The hands were released from Taeyeon’s eyes, “Happy Anniversary!”

A huge grin appeared on Taeyeon’s face, “wow you did this?”

“I did good?”

Taeyeon wrapped her hands around Jessica’s waist while Jessica’s arms went to their rightful place around Taeyeon’s neck, “You always do good.” Both leaned in for a loving and passionate kiss.

Jessica broke away but took Taeyeon’s hand to lead her to the tent she prepared on the beach. “Doesn’t this remind you of our second date?”

“I didn’t remember a tent...”

“I was talking about the beach.”

Taeyeon smiled, “I know. I wouldn’t forget the day you got arrested.”

“Ah don’t bring that up again...”

“By the way, should this also be your 1 month anniversary of freedom from the confines of jail?”

Jessica hit Taeyeon’s arm playfully, “Just eat your cake!”

Taeyeon laughed when she saw the flustered Jessica, “I will enjoy it because it was made by my amazingly lovely girlfriend!”

After the two finished their piece of cake, the two interlocked their hands and walked on the beach that night. “Taeyeon?”

“Humm?”

“I want to tell you something but please don’t run away when I tell you.”

Taeyeon stopped walking and turned to face Jessica while taking her other hand into her own, “I am not sure there is anything you could tell me that would make me want to leave.”

“I am just afraid I am rushing it by telling you this...”

Taeyeon gave Jessica’s hands a quick squeeze of reassurance, “Try me...”

“Most of my life I had only loved one thing...and well I went to jail for that. But then you came...and I don’t know how to say this but I want to make you my new passion in life. Not that I will get rid of my old one but umm do you get what I mean?”

Taeyeon pulled Jessica into her arms, “Love is a hard word to say but I will say it first. I love you Jessica Jung. Please continue to show your passion towards me.”

Jessica wrapped her arms securely around Taeyeon, “Thank you.”

 

-----------------------

 

Taeyeon leaned back in her chair smiling. It had been a week since she celebrated her 1 month with her girlfriend and she felt like life couldn’t get any better. All of a sudden Taeyeon heard a commotion outside of the lab facility.

One of her co-workers came running towards the door, “Taeyeon she is back!”

Taeyeon was excited to finally see the mystery PETA girl that caused havoc around her work place. She quickly followed her co-worker, even forgetting to take off her lab coat.

“Let go of me! I will just leave on my own!” The girl was busy throwing a fit not noticing the surprised woman who was staring at her.

“Jessica?”

Jessica stopped resisting and looked at her girlfriend, “Tae....why are you here?”

“What do you mean why am I here? I work here. This is where I work.”

Jessica’s thoughts were going wild but she remembered how the two never mentioned where they worked or even talked about anything relating to their work in general. It was a complete shock to see her girlfriend working at the place she saw as pure evil in her eyes. “Why?”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica in confusion, “Is this the passion you were talking about?”

The girl’s conversation got interrupted, “Miss you have to leave.”

“Taeyeon you know her?”

Taeyeon was brought back to reality, “I will take her out. I know her.”

Taeyeon took Jessica’s hand and led her out to the parking lot, “Jessica so this is why you got arrested?”

Jessica was still confused why the sweet Taeyeon would be working at a place like this. It was like her fantasy was being broken down into a world of nightmares. Anger caught up with her and she lashed out, “Get away from me you monster!”

Taeyeon saw the girl run away. She was in a state of shock but pain quickly settled into her heart. “Monster?”

 

--------------------------

 

It had been eight days exactly since Jessica had her encounter with Taeyeon at the girl’s work. It was like her heart split in two. She still loved Taeyeon and she had a love for animal rights but the two pieces weren’t allowed to be connected. Jessica looked around in surprise when she saw her aimless walking led her outside the bar where she and Taeyeon first met.

Her thoughts went back to how they first met. It was unexpected but rewarding. From that night she got a very loving girlfriend. Jessica let out a groan of frustration, “But why did that have to be her job!!” She knew she should talk to the girl than just leave her hanging with that last encounter but she never felt ready to face Taeyeon.

Fate decided to take matters into their own hands while Taeyeon also found herself in front of the bar in which Jessica and her first met. She looked over to see a girl hunched over on the sidewalk, “Jessica?”

Jessica looked up in surprise to see Taeyeon standing over her, “Don’t look at me.”

“Sica just let me talk to you! I know you see me as a monster right now but can we talk about it please?”

“It is because I called you a monster that I have no right to face you...”

“Jessica I am not mad at you. Can we please talk?”

 

After agreeing to a talk, the girls found their way to the park they visited when they shared their first kiss and confession. “Taeyeon why did you do it?”

“Do what?”

“Why do you kill innocent animals? How do you do it?”

Taeyeon sighed, “Jessica it isn’t like we don’t take the animals into account. We have strict rules on how to treat the animals. If we don’t use the animals, we can’t make people feel better.”

“Stereotypical answer, but why do you do it?”

“I do it because I don’t like seeing my loved ones suffer.” Jessica felt like her body was frozen. “Several people in my life died from cancer. It was painful to watch them suffer. I want to find a way to stop it. I don’t find a problem with the animals because it is what we call a necessary evil. We learn so much from them every day. They help us in more ways you can think.” Taeyeon saw that her explanation left Jessica in silence, “Umm so why did you get involved with PETA?”

“I had a dog once. He ran away from home and we couldn’t find him for over a year. Then we found out that the pound several miles away sold him to a research facility. By the time we got the rights to have him released he couldn’t walk again. Since then I vowed for animals never to suffer.”

“I don’t mean to defend the place that did that to your dog but those are rare occasions.”

“I understood that more when I got older but you know the past never left my heart. The passion to save every animal got stronger. I started to see all scientists as monsters that didn’t care about animals. I know I overreacted when I found out you were one of them but...but my heart is saying to forgive you.”

“I don’t want you to see me as a monster. I understand if you don’t want to see me again but can you remember me as just Taeyeon?”

Jessica started crying, “I can’t do that either because I love Taeyeon from the bar.”

Taeyeon let her instincts take over and went to hold Jessica, letting the girl cry in her arms, “Taeyeon from the bar loves you too.”

Jessica stopped crying and looked into Taeyeon’s eyes, “Is it okay to love you but hate your job?”

“I would say that we might be one in the same. I love you but I hate your job too. Your job makes my job harder.”

“So we both make each other suffer with our passions?”

“But we both make one another happy with our passion for each other. Which do you think is more important?”

Jessica moved her hand to touch Taeyeon’s face, “Taeyeon is important.”

Taeyeon did the same action on Jessica’s face, “I find Jessica important.”

“I guess I can overlook a few things in your life...”

Taeyeon smiled and kissed Jessica with all the love she could give the girl. Both girls smiled into the kiss because they knew their love was more important than the one small flaw they saw in each other.

 

 

~END~