Free at Last

Change Is Never Easy

Who said change was something everyone is used to? Who said change was good? Who said change was easy?
I’m not used to it. It’s not good. I hate it.

   I look over to your sleeping form. I smile. How can someone as beautiful looking as you… hurt another being? How could that sweet, sweet dark face turn sour when mad? You never were like this. You never hurt me, not even jokingly. Now it’s a bunch of hurtful words strung together spitted at my face. Every other day I look in the mirror and I see small purple bruises around my wrists, waist… and neck. 

You tell me it’s just stress from work. You tell me you love me more than air itself.  But… I don’t believe you anymore. I need to run away. I need to stay. But both I don’t want to do. 
 

   You’ve changed. You’ve become a monster. I remember when you used to really smile at me. I remember when the only reason why you touched me was because you wanted to be affectionate. Now you have hate in your eyes. You touch me, but it hurts. It hurts so much.

   I don’t notice I’m crying until your peaceful form is looking distorted. I blink and blink. It doesn’t get any better. 
Maybe seeing you as what you really aren’t now is a good thing. Maybe if I just blind myself from your scornful glares, I’ll remember the days where we really loved each other. 

But I can’t. I know I can’t. I won’t.
   I wipe the tears away from my eyes and slowly and carefully slip out of the bed. I take very very quiet footsteps, fearing you’ll wake up and yell at me again from waking you from your slumber. 

I go into our closet filled with clothes. I find the nearest luggage and throw random clothing in it. I’m so frantic I think I even took some of your clothes. I don’t care. I need to run away. I need to. As I grab a shirt I look at it for a few seconds. This shirt… it was the first gift you’ve given me. I wonder if I should take it with me, maybe something to remember about you. 

No. I don’t want to remember you at all. I throw the shirt to the corner of the closet and zip up the luggage. 
I walk to the door that will take me into the rest of our house, and then outside. But suddenly, “Molly?”

   I stop dead in my tracks. My hands don’t even get to touch the doorknob. 

"What exactly are you doing?" I slowly turn around. You are perched up from the bed by your elbows. Your face, oh your beautiful face, is lit from the moon shining threw the window. Your eyes, your scary scary eyes, slowly widen, meaning you have figured out what I am trying to do. Leave you. 

   "I… I-" I can’t find any words to speak. I just swallow my thick saliva. 
Your face turns into something I think is a snarl. My heart skips a beat and I break a sweat as I see you rising of the bed.

I scoff inwardly. You look like a beautiful creature getting ready to pounce at it’s prey.  "You aren’t going to leave me, Molly, I love you, I love you." You spit.

   As he slowly stalks over to me, I shake my head, "No- No you don’t. Not any- anymore." I tremble. The luggage bag I’m holding in my left hand feels heavier. My breath is hitched. You come closer and closer.
 

Before I could tell my body what to do, it acts on itself. My body turns around and yanks the door open. I cry as I descend from the stairs. I hear you right behind me. Suddenly something grabs a chuck full of my hair and pull me backward. I get knocked of my feet and I shriek in pain. 

   You throw me down to the cold floor. You hover over me and a hot hand swipes at my cheek. I shriek once again. "How could you do this to me Molly? I LOVE YOU." he screams.

"NO KAI! No you don't! I’M DONE TRYING TO ACCEPT YOU FOR HOW YOU ARE NOW. BUT I CAN’T. I CAN’T ANYMORE! I’M DONE GETTING HURT!" I cry. Why don’t you just let me go? Can’t you see the pain in my eyes. Don’t you see the bruises and cuts you've put on me? Or do you blind yourself too?

   "I would never really hurt you Molly. I love you." he says.

"Stop it with the I love you’s. You don’t love me, not anymore." I feel hot tears gliding out from my eyes.

   You look at me. You really look at me now. Not like the other days where you are just blinded by rage. But with something else. Sympathy? I don’t know. I’m not used to any other look from you than hatred. 
"I- I- I’m so sorry, I’m so so sorry- sorry Molly. I never meant to… I never meant to hurt you. Oh my god. I’m so sorry Molly." Your hands go up to cover your mouth. I flinch, thinking you were going to slap me again. You get off of me and slide over to the farthest wall.

"I really loved you Kai." I cry. Tears blind me again as I look at him. I see the old Kai. The one I was happy with. I smile. I don’t wipe the tears away. I want to see you as the old Kai. The one that I knew was for me. I want the last memory of you was a beautiful one. 
   I turn around, and as I hear you muffled cries, I walk out the door. And I’m never coming back.
Change is never easy. You fight to hold on. You fight to let go.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for reading this~ I'm pretty proud of it so if you enjoyed please comment down bellow. Inspired by a Daniel Stern quote. (Dicsclaimer: the first person is YOU. The you is KAI. I hope that's not too confusing)