The Second Bet

Fluke

Flashback:

The phone rang within the bar, past his working staff, they observed as he answered the cell. “Daehyun, yes…” Yongguk furrowed his brow, he couldn’t understand what his friend was saying in his rapid pace, mixing his words. “What’s wrong?”

The bartender then turned motionless, stuck with the phone to his side.

Although a waver of emotion affect his eyes, it’s quickly dampened as he closed his eyes, and his expression becomes composed. “...Is that so?”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t think Jongup would open his mouth about this.” Daehyun apologized again.

“It’s fine… Is he still over there?”

“Yes… he’s nearly passed out though… If you prefer, he could stay here the night, give you time to sort out what you want to do.”

Before Yongguk could respond, he heard a commotion in the other side.

“HOW?! HOW COULD YOU MISS?!”

“Himchan, you’re spilling your water on Jongup– Oi!”


“I’ll be right there,” Yongguk decided.

As Yongguk stepped out of the elevator, he was met with a heavy weight nearly shoved against him. Yongguk hoisted the drunken man who peered up, and a smile formed at the sight of Yongguk.

“Hi there,” Himchan greeted brightly, slumping against him.

Daehyun eyed the two doubtfully, “Are you sure?”

“I’m fine, he isn’t heavy.” Yongguk had no trouble, used to dealing with his drunken customers. And Himchan offered no struggle, even as he struggled to remain upright.

“That’s not what I’m asking,” Daehyun corrected, but his friend merely pressed the elevator button and bidded him goodbye for the night.

Himchan barely makes it two steps outside of the elevator when he falls forward to the wall, bracing himself as he collided to the carpet. Yongguk lifted him up and hoisted him on his back.

It wasn’t too far away the way home, a walkable distance. And as he approached his place, he felt Himchan’s b with laughter.

“You’ve really changed.”

“How so?”

“Back in college, you were barely able to carry me one block before collapsing… I guess you have practice now,” Himchan mused, laying comfortably on his back as Yongguk managed to open the door.

Yongguk’s apartment was just spacious enough for someone living alone, but Himchan didn’t occupy the apartment with too much of his things. And Yongguk just barely lets him fall to the bed, his friend passing out almost the moment he hits the bed.

By the next morning, Himchan sits on the barstool by the kitchen, leaning his head against the wall as Yongguk cooked. Steadily, Himchan comes to even as he’s upright, but for most of the morning, he’s still.

“Yongguk.”

“Hmm?”

“Can I...ask you a question?”

Yongguk sliced the next bit of fruit, he had already prepared himself for the question, and would answer however would be best to salvage their friendship. “Hasn’t stopped you before,” he replied.

Himchan softly laughed, but the question Yongguk waits for doesn’t come, and for a while it’s a mere silence that overtakes the small apartment.

Himchan then hopped off the barstool and approached the counter, leaning his head forward as he peered at Yongguk’s face. The bartender looked his way, meeting his eyes.

Himchan smiled, “Who do you think has a better shot of winning this weekend? Colombia or Paraguay?”

Yongguk didn’t say, and the topic returns to soccer for most of the day. And while most of their conversations, Himchan easily fills it, while the latter didn’t mind one bit.

Whether Himchan had forgotten, or pretended to, Yongguk decided it to let it be then press the matter any further.

In fact, it was likelier than this was the answer to expect.

“Even though he’s out, I still think they a chance. You don’t think so?” Himchan asked.

Yongguk extended his hand towards him, and to Himchan’s surprise, flicked at his forehead. It didn’t hurt, but Himchan winced anyhow. “I would have also taken a no.”

Their day went as usual. Yongguk looked up, and Himchan flashed him a smile as he waited, acting as he always had.

If it meant things could continue like this, then there was no sense in changing it.

He decided to let things be.

-

Present Day:

The door opened and Zelo stepped inside, carrying a bag with him as he lets himself inside Yongguk’s apartment.

Zelo set the bag on the counter and scoured for his cousin in the small space, but he doesn’t find him. As he stepped into the living room in front of the television, he heard their familiar voices from the bedroom.

“I just bought a new bottle too.” A voice called out.

“Return it then,” Yongguk said as he rummaged through his drawers.

Himchan’s voice called out through the closed bathroom door. “That seems like such a waste…”

“There is a penalty when you go against the bet,” Yongguk reminded.

“Alright, alright.” Himchan said in defeat.

Yongguk stepped out of the open bedroom and realized Zelo’s presence.

“Auntie asked me to bring some things over,” Zelo explained, “Is the freeloader making use of himself?”

“I heard that!” A muffled voice said from the bathroom.

“I’ll consider that a no.”

Yongguk stepped out, “he’ll be out soon enough. He just finished showering.”

“Not going to stay around and sneak a peak?” Zelo asked point-blank, Yongguk ignored his cousin’s comment as the two walk to the kitchen. Yongguk opened the bag and took out the various treats inside.

“From Auntie?” Yongguk asked.

“As always, oh and she said not to eat the red paste buns, they’re for Himchan.” He mimicked.

Yongguk thinned his lips, and even Zelo could tell he was holding back a laugh. “Auntie really does dote on him, thankfully not as much as you do.” He crossed his arms and leaned forward on the counter. “How are your interviews coming along?”

“I’m narrowing it down to the last few candidates, I should be able to officially hire a couple by tomorrow.”

“Good, then you’ll finally have some actual help.”

Yongguk gave a small smile, “He’s helpful, he’s just distracted when the season comes around.”

“I’ll never understand the love for the sport, any sport really. Baseball, soccer, basketball.” Zelo winced at the thought, “Auntie would always force me to go and record every minute of your games.”

“You would have liked it if you gave it a chance.”

“Right, you mean if I was good at it.”

They both looked up as they heard the door open and stepped out Himchan, already dressed into his outerwear.

“I’m almost late,” Himchan realized, scrambling for his wallet.

“You don’t have to go,” Yongguk encouraged, earning a black look. “After last night’s loss, you’re still going to?”

“Of course, how can I quit now?”

“Very easily.” Yongguk deadpanned, looking past Zelo as Himchan promptly ignored his comment and searched in his backpack.

Zelo snuck a treat, breaking it in two, and gradually noticed Yongguk barely separating the treats as he was before. He blinked and looked up, Yongguk’s attention was lingering elsewhere.

Zelo then snapped his fingers, making Yongguk look his way.

“Just testing your reflexes.” Zelo muttered and chomped onto the bread.

“Found it!” He heard Himchan exclaim behind him, and the younger cousin continued eating as Himchan then walked to the hallway, slipping on his shoes. Zelo then looked up, and slowly widened his eyes.

Himchan lifted his head, “Did Auntie give you those? Tell her thank you, and remember to save me a piece.” He said to Yongguk. He then noted Zelo’s look, marred by surprise. “...What?” He said suspiciously.

“Wow, you...look like you did in your college days.” Zelo realized.

Himchan had left his hair completely down, and without a touch of gel, his usually lifted hair showed its length, with his bangs hovering just above his eyes. Somehow the small gesture took years off him.

Himchan exhaled exasperatedly, “it feels odd leaving it like this… Yongguk, let’s make our new bet now.”

“I’m not changing my mind.”

“You never make things easy, do you?”

“It would be easy, once you give up betting.”

Himchan pressed his lips together, “Fine, I guess I can live with my hair like this in the meantime.” He briefly felt his bangs as Yongguk met his gaze, and the former smiled. “I suppose I don’t look too bad, right?”

Yongguk didn’t say, “Be safe.”

Himchan nodded, “I’ll be right back,” he called out and closed the door.

Once locked, Zelo snapped his attention back to Yongguk. “What bet was he talking about?”

“We’re just making a little wager, every time he loses a bet, he has to follow a wager I give him. If he somehow wins, I’ll have to do it.”

“And I’m not involved? When it involves torturing him, I don’t see why not.”

Yongguk gave a sharp look. “It’s not that sort of punishment. I’m trying to make him stop.”

“If that were true, you would have just told him to quit for the night. Maybe I’m behind on the times on fixing gambling addiction, but I don’t see how a makeover would help your plans.”

Yongguk parted his lips, but he couldn’t fathom a reply. Zelo just shook his head.

“My poor, poor cousin. You got yourself into this mess.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“So you say.” Zelo said, clearly not convinced. “I have to head back to my shop before Auntie starts giving away my televisions for free.”

And as he headed out, he looked back. “Don’t get yourself into too much of a mess.”

“I know.”

“I hope you do.” Zelo said in genuine concern, and left.

-

Himchan held the ticket in his hand as he walked through the busy shop stands that lined up the block, “Damn it Youngjae, always giving me a hard time.”

He had to be careful as he dodged most of the crowds along the way, clutching his ticket and wallet deep in his pockets.

BAM!

In the midst of the chaos, a soccer ball slammed against his face. He groaned as he massaged his nose.

“Sorry Uncle!”

Himchan exhaled at the trio of teenagers in front of him. “This definitely isn’t the place.”

“We were just testing it out.”

Himchan lowered his hand, scrunching his nose when he stopped as the teenager picked up the colorful ball. “Is that the official Fifa ball? Where did you get it from?”

“From that stall down there,” one of them pointed at.

Himchan smiled and nodded, hurrying down the crowd as best he could.

With bags on hand, he hurried to the train station and crossing the turnstile. Balancing his bags on one hand, he quickly called Yongguk on his cell.

And the moment Yongguk picked up, he smiled, “What’s our bet?”

“You’re not supposed to be enjoying this.”

“I think my chances are actually pretty good tonight.” Himchan commented as he boarded the platform and stared at the times on screen.

“I’m surprised you still have enough to bet.”

“I’ve learned my lesson, I only betted on one game every night and make my choices wisely.”

There was a short paused. “I’m not sure you quite understand what ‘a wise choice’ is.”

Himchan simpered, feeling rather optimistic for that night. “If I win… you’’ll have to wear whatever I ask of you tomorrow. Alright? And unlike you, I won’t be so cruel, I’ll only do it for one day.”

“What clothes do you have in mind?”

“It’s a surprise,” Himchan uttered. He could picture Yongguk’s unsure expression and chuckled quietly.

“If you lose… then you can’t bet for one night.”

“What?!” He nearly bellowed, and the passer-by’s around all looked his way, Himchan quickly quieted down and crossed his arms. A difficult thing to do with the amount he was balancing. “Alright, alright, fine,” he conceded. “Deal.”

“Will you be home soon then?”

“Not yet, I have to make another shop. I’ll see you then.”

As the two hung up, Himchan quietly simmered, “He took the fun out of it.”

He then heard the train rumbling in the distance and quickly looked up, and stepped inside.

-

Yongguk stirred in the middle of the night. Something didn’t feel quite right.

It was too quiet.

When he stepped into the living room, he spotted Himchan pacing in circles in front of the television.

“Is it over already?”

“No, it’s only half-time for Argentina and Iran right now. Never-mind, it’s back on.” Himchan said, taking deep breaths.

Yongguk was used to the sight of this. “Why are you covering your mouth?”

“Because I’m this close to screaming.”

“Hasn’t stopped you before.”

“Well… you have to finish the final interviews tomorrow, right? I thought you’d need some sleep.”

Yongguk strolled towards the kitchen, taking the teapot and pouring tap water inside. “I’ll be fine tomorrow.” He the stove and placed the teapot on it.

By the time he finished setting his tea, he placed the plate of treats on the center table. Himchan looked down and eagerly took one.

“If you want tea, it’s on the kitchen counter.”

Himchan furrowed his brow, “Why is it all the way over there?”

“...I didn’t trust the idea of you and boiling hot water.”

Himchan took that into offense, “What could I– Did they just almost?! That was so close!” He yelled, nearly dropping his treat in the process.

“And it will remain there till the end of the game,” Yongguk stated, earning a sheepish smile from the other.

Yongguk glanced at the television screen and furrowed his brow, “You’re betting on Argentina, right?”

“Yes.”

“...But the ones that were about to score were Iran.”

“Have you seen their defense? It’s amazing, you should’ve seen the first half, they’re not making this easy… What?” Himchan noted, seeing the concerned look on Yongguk’s face.

“Are you want to do this to yourself?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what happens when you root for the underdog.”

“I-I’m not that invested. I’m fine… I’m fine.”

He wasn’t.

And by the end of the match, Himchan had his head lowered onto his lap. Despite winning the bet, his crestfallen self would have resembled any of the other team’s supporters.

Yongguk leaned forward, patting Himchan’s shoulder. When the latter looked up, Yongguk paused, unsure of what to say in such times.

“The tea will get cold,” he decided, hoping that a drink may help the other.

“Isn’t alcohol stronger?”

Yongguk crossed his arms as Himchan chuckled, slowly coming back to himself as he stood up and approached the counter. Yet as Yongguk observed him, it was evident as Himchan returned that he wasn’t any better.

“You won,” Yongguk gently reminded.

Himchan paused midway and mustered a smile at the revelation, “I did… I did! You see, my guessing skills aren’t always bad.”

Any trace of his sadness disappeared in an instant. “What is it that you wanted me to wear anyhow?”

“You’ll see.” Himchan smiled. Yongguk grew suspicious of that as he drank his tea. “Do you already have in mind who you’re going to pick tomorrow?” Himchan asked of the potential new hires.

“I do, but it’s not easy to pick out of the three of them.”

“That’s easy to solve.” Himchan uttered, grabbing Yongguk’s attention. “Who’s the best looking?”

Yongguk leered.

“Not like that! You’d be surprised how attractive people draw in the crowds, that’s how I heard some of my friends hired people.”

“I’m afraid to ask what sort of people they are.”

Himchan snickered, “That’s true, you’re probably the most decent out of them.” Himchan leaned against his palm as he finished his tea, and noted Yongguk shifting his eyes. “What?”

“You’re teasing me again, aren’t you?”

Himchan blinked, “How so?”

“You don’t remember?” Yongguk asked, and when his friend showed no signs of recollection, he exhaled. “Back in college, you’d kept calling me the ‘Decent guy’ for about a year.”

“Oh,” Himchan realized, he looked puzzled. “I don’t remember that at all.”

Yongguk then regarded him, “What do you remember from then?”

“Hmm… the dean’s office. Sometimes I was behind the bleachers… beneath the stairwells. I went to a ton of school games.”

“To bet?”

Himchan gave a guilty smile as Yongguk closed his eyes. “You really haven’t changed.”

“That’s not true, I definitely have.”

Yongguk opened his eyes and faced him, Himchan met his gaze and slowly his lips curved. With his bangs set the way they were, it really was like looking at the student from back then.

“Right?” Himchan urged, hoping for a change of answer. When Yongguk didn’t respond, Himchan sighed. “I think I matured, at least.”

“Not changing isn’t always a bad thing.” Yongguk added, Himchan considered that for a moment.

“I guess that’s true,” he nodded. “Like you, you’re still as good of a guy as you were then.” He faced him and smiled, patting his thigh. “I’m not teasing you this time, I promise you.”

Himchan lifted his hand and reached for another treat. Yongguk tapped his finger against his warm cup, contemplating when he parted his lips. “Himch–”

“YES! It’s starting!”

Yongguk then looked up as the names displayed for the next game, “Oh no.”

Himchan clapped his hands together, “I’m ready.”

“Maybe you should rest,” Yongguk suggested instead.

Himchan looked appalled at the suggestion alone. “Why would I do that? The next match is soon.”

Yongguk thinned his lips, and as the match started, Himchan’s eyes remained glued to the television as Yongguk casted glances his way.

“You do remember what happened to Ghana four years ago?”

Himchan lowered his eyes at just the thought. “It hurts just thinking about that. Oh, but they were playing well then...and even now.” Himchan said, debating with the idea. He then took a deep breath, “I’m fine.”

Yongguk stood up, grabbing Himchan’s empty cup as a precaution as he emptied them both into the sink. He then remained there for a little longer, searching through the cabinets.

Hearing the slight commotion, Himchan asked, “What are you looking for?”

Yongguk didn’t say. Himchan gave a curious look as Yongguk returned to his spot beside him with the napkins in place.

“Just in case,” Yongguk replied.

“Of what?” Himchan then froze, remember exactly what happened four years ago. “I won’t do that again!”

Yongguk said nothing, making Himchan fume.

The game went on perfectly well, and somehow the 90 minute match passed by within seconds, at least in Himchan’s eyes.

Their apartment was soon overhauled completely, and there wasn’t a single moment of silence.

“Damn it! He scored!”

“DID HE JUST SCORE?!”

“GHANA’S LEADING?! YES!” Himchan boasted as he jumped in the air, “If they win this, they’re moving on!”

Yongguk wasn’t ready to move from his spot just yet, unfolding the napkins he’d need. Himchan saw and quickly swatted them away.

“Put those away, everything’s fine!”

-After the game-

Yongguk exhaled as Himchan leaned against him with a napkin around his eyes, patting his back, “There, there.”