The First Bet

Fluke

“Damn it.”

“In a surprising twist of events, the World Champions have lost–”

“Damn it.” Himchan seethed, his head hung over the sink with the glass clinking the sides. “Damn it, damn it, damn it–”

“Don’t break them.” Yongguk warned as he poured another beer.

It had been four days since he lost that bet, and the media had to keep reminding him. He was just a few days away from making his next bet, but the anticipation was killing him. “I could’ve won today. I was betting on Belgium.”

“Out of the three, that was the only prediction you had right,” Yongguk casually reminded as he opened another bottle.

Himchan thinned his lips.

“Yesterday you even said Portugal was going to–” Yongguk felt a nudge to his back and glanced as Himchan put away the dry glasses above them.

“Every morning I hear your predictions, and for the most part, you’ve gotten them all wrong. That’s a lot of money you would’ve given up.”

"Can I help that? It's like it's a free for all this year, every good team is playing off and every underdog is suddenly playing well. I didn't anticipate it!"

"You sound more excited than disappointed."

Himchan beamed, "Of course I am, this week has been amazing." He then walked back around him and continued washing. "I haven't given up hope yet though on my favorites. Just wait, once this week is over, I'll be raking in more than what you make on a good day."

Himchan looked up confidentially and caught Yongguk side-eying him, followed by a subtle scoff as he served the next batch of customers.

That only provoked him further, "Just wait and see." He then rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, blinking back a few times. Yongguk noted this gesture, one that was increasingly occurring throughout the week. Even on his break, rather than resting as he should, Yongguk caught Himchan on his cell, typing away and reading the potential outcomes of the next match.

"Shouldn't you nap?"

Himchan didn't look up, "I'll be fine. Ah! I can't wait for Colombia and the Ivory Coast, England and Uruguay." He pounded the table with his fist in excitement. "Can't it just happen already?"

Yongguk observed as his friend continued his excitement aloud, even without betting, Himchan was caught up with every match. Yet with their time zones, it meant staying up till late into the night. Himchan was even now sporting dark circles, and it wasn't a comforting sight to see.

Himchan flinched as something cold pressed against his cheek, and he looked to see a bottle of water given him along with a bowl of food in front of him. The man tilted his head up and faced the impassive man.

"Can I get dukbokki instead?" Himchan asked hopefully.

"Eat."

"Alright, alright."

-

It was less than a day now, he checked the last matches again, he read predictions and concluded his own. "Youngjae, don't worry, I'll have that ready by tonight... What do you mean you don't trust me?"

"Himchan."

Himchan quickly ducked away from his cell and gave a guilty expression, "Coming!"

Himchan looked up as he reached for some spare towels and began to wipe the empty tables clean, he glanced sideways to Yongguk every so often, but the latter never paid more than a second glance his way. In fact, he felt entirely ignored.

Which was rather odd, Himchan thought.

The door opened and he gave an emotionless “Welcome!”

“You could stand to be a little more sincere.”

Himchan lifted his head, seeing his pair of friends standing beside him. Jongup and Daehyun started to walk towards the bar and Daehyun waved his hands to grab Yongguk’s attention, but Himchan abruptly stood in front of them.

“Wait, sit in that corner over there. I want to ask you guys something.”

“We’re here to drink.” Daehyun deadpanned.

“At 2pm?” Himchan countered. The pair crossed their arms and Himchan exhaled, “I know, I know, I’ll serve your drinks. Just wait over there.”

The pair reluctantly do so, preferring the counter than anything else. When Himchan did arrive with their drinks, Jongup immediately started up with Himchan. “Did you see this morning’s game?”

“Will you shush?” Daehyun demanded.

Jongup snickered, “Someone’s upset that they couldn’t watch any games this week.”

“Not with my schedule…”

“Why not just rewatch the matches?” Himchan suggested.

“It’s not the same, after seeing the highlights, it’s not the same feeling as watching live.”

“Then don’t see the highlights?”

“I’ve tried, except with this guy,” Daehyun gestured, “I practically know how we’re doing by how much Jongup screams throughout the night.”

“You would’ve found out the results anyhow–”

“You just–”

“Moving back to me,” Himchan interrupted their squabble and leaned forward. “You know… for a guy who supposedly has feelings for me, he really doesn’t act it.”

The two freeze. Himchan expectantly looked at both their expressions and leered. “Oh, now you two can’t talk.”

“W-what about it?” Jongup stammered. “I think he’s acting normal.”

“He is,” Himchan agreed, sitting himself across from them as he tossed the towel over his shoulder, “which is making me doubt his feelings for me.”

Jongup was visibly struggling, Daehyun spoke in his stead. “It’s not like he’s forcing himself on you.”

“True… but it’s Yongguk, he’d never do that.”

“Then what are you expecting out of him?”

“...Well, for him to be nervous, for one. Maybe a little shy? I don’t know… I was trying to remember if this was how he was around his ex’s, but I never paid much attention to his other relationships.”

“You get to stay at his apartment, eat his food–”

“I cook.” Himchan coolly interjected.

“Not well,” Daehyun corrected to Himchan’s chagrin. “Just be happy that all’s well, don’t dwell on it too much.”

Himchan twisted his lips, “I suppose.”

“Himchan! Get over here!”

Himchan waved them away as he hurried towards Yongguk’s call and continued about his job. Jongup’s awkward smile remained as he faced Daehyun for a shared laugh, except Daehyun glared the entire while, menacingly too.

Jongup gulped as he downed his beer, and asked for another.

-

Jongup walked ahead and Daehyun lingered behind him, but even he could feel daggers behind him. “What?” He asked as they waited for the green light. They’ve long left the bar, but the topic was on the tip of Daehyun’s tongue since their shifts ended for the day.

“You never should have told him.” Daehyun chided.

“It’s not like I wanted to, I was drunk and we were playing truth or dare, that game never ends well for me.” Jongup uttered, earning a roll of the eyes.

Daehyun sighed, “It doesn’t seem he’s using that to take any more advantage of the situation.”

“Well, you told Yongguk the moment I told Himchan.”

“I wasn’t going to let Himchan hold it over him.” Daehyun stated ruefully, “I don’t know how Yongguk’s handling it, I wouldn’t be calm having someone I care for so close by all the time.”

“Except Himchan’s right,” Jongup lamented, drawing a puzzled glance from his roommate. “Isn’t he? Nothing’s changed…” And hoping he could at last get out of the trouble he’s put himself in, he daringly asks, “are we sure he hasn’t moved on?”

That question earned nothing more than a painful smack across the back of his head.

-

Zelo knocked on the door of the bar, he heard the locks click and Yongguk lets him in. Zelo held up a crockpot as he stepped inside, “Auntie said to bring this over for you.”

Yongguk accepted it as he placed it on the counter for the moment, “I’m almost done finishing up. Would you like a drink?”

“Water’s fine,” Zelo blinked, and stared as the bar was nearly empty save for one other person. And as he peaked over towards the booth, he saw Himchan passed out on the table, his head huddled in the jacket pooled around his shoulders.

“You’re out early,” Yongguk noted.

“I decided to close up, most of the people coming inside were just watching the game anyway, didn’t even bother buying the television.” Zelo accepted the water as Yongguk started counting the cash in the register. “Isn’t one of the perks of hiring someone being able to leave early?”

Yongguk gave a small smile, “It’s fine.”

“Are you sure? Did he at least stack the chairs?”

Yongguk didn’t say, and Zelo casually approached the booth. The jacket around Himchan was a navy blue jacket with the number twelve stitched.

Zelo glanced at Himchan, and when Yongguk had his back turned, Zelo casually held his cold glass above Himchan’s cheek and waited. At last, three cold drops of condensation slid from his glass to his cheek, stirring the busser awake.

Himchan jumped up, “Is halftime over yet?” He blinked as he rubbed his eyes, “Oh good, the game hasn’t started yet.”

“Start stacking.” Zelo gestured, earning a playful glare.

“Fine, fine,” Himchan said and hurried to do so but saw most of the chairs already put away. He then reached for the broom instead and started sweeping the floors. Zelo reached for the jacket left on the booth and finished the bottle of the drink.

“Thanks,” Zelo said, and when Yongguk turned around to grab the empty glass, the jacket tossed at his chest.

Zelo rounds his eyes, giving a peculiar look as Yongguk manages to look away and fold the jacket in his arms. And when he returns, Himchan is closer to finishing. “So, when are you leaving?” Zelo asked.

“That depends, are you hiring?”

Zelo arched an eyebrow as Himchan chuckled, “Soon enough, I’m going to miss his television though, every game is high definition.”

“You can just buy your own.” Zelo suggested.

“From you? Even with your payment plans, it’s a little out of my price range. It’ll just be easier to stop by and visit Yongguk often, won’t it?” Himchan said towards Yongguk, the latter said nothing as he finished counting the tabs. Himchan exhaled and scooped the last bit into the dust pan, taking it outside of the door towards the trash.

“Yongguk, you want him to leave… right?” Zelo asked quietly.

“He will, once he’s back on his feet.”

“Right… you said that when his factory started sizing down, you even said that when his roommate had to house his family and kicked him out. It’s been more than a year now, I’m sure there’s opportunities out there if he searched hard enough.”

“And when it happens, it’ll happen.”

“He’s growing comfortable here, at this rate, he’ll never leave." Zelo then paused, considering the possibility. "Although that’s probably what you want.” He realized aloud.

Yongguk paused, and his cousin observed as the older merely finished and walked towards the back, “I’ll be in the office,” he called out.

“Alright!” Himchan said as he finished the last of his sweeping.

Zelo stared at the open office door, shaking his head at his poor cousin. “I’m leaving,” Zelo called out, Himchan propped the broom against the counter and hurried to lock up after him.

Himchan finished the last bit of closing up, and all that was left was for Yongguk to officially close. Yet that wasn’t the only bit, and the eager Himchan waited on the bar stool until he heard Yongguk call out his name.

Himchan stepped inside, “Don’t feel as if I’m rushing you.”

And yet the moment Yongguk held up the envelope with Himchan’s name across it, his friend nearly jumped across the office.

“And since you’ve actually listened to our bet, here,” Yongguk extended the envelope, “Your paycheck.”

“YES!” Himchan jumped. “I’m finally going to make it up for this past week of torment.” His expression dropped, however, when he manages to rip his pay from the envelope. “Why is it so low?!”

“You were late to half your shifts because you slept in, not including that day you called out because you were mourning Portugal.”

Himchan gave an uneasy smile, “Right, right. Guess this means I can only choose one game...”

Yongguk looked up from his laptop when he heard a thud, and was face to face with Himchan who sprawled himself across his table. “What do you want for dinner tomorrow? My treat.”

Yongguk calmly faced the laptop. “You’re sounding optimistic.”

“Of course I am, it’s Italy versus Costa Rica tomorrow, it’s a surefire win.”

“And if you lose?”

Himchan tilted his head, “Are we betting again? Alright… if I win,” he eyed him carefully with his hand beneath his chin. “Then you’ll dye your hair blonde.”

Yongguk’s brow furrowed, “Why blonde?”

“Because I always thought it’d be a good color on you.”

Yongguk digged through his files when he felt Himchan stand behind him. “Yes?”

“Well? What happens if I lose? And don’t you dare make it the same wager.”

Yongguk paused and thinned his lips, “Stop using gel.”

“...Eh?”

“No hair styling products,” Yongguk managed, and resumed looking over his work.

Himchan blinked, but Yongguk didn’t look his way. Himchan scratched the back of his neck, “Alright,” he conceded, a wager was still a wager. “Deal then. Do you need anything from the convenience store?”

“Nope.” Yongguk then added, “Don’t spend too much on things you don’t need.”

“I won’t, but don’t worry, I’ll grab the best shade of blonde there is.” Himchan grinned. He haughtily strode across the bar and started calling his contact to make his last minute bet.

Anticipation was already getting to him, and he patted the envelope against his thigh as he made his way across town.

“I’ll be surrounded in won in no time!”

- Later that night -

“DAMN IT ITALY!”

-

A/N:

I’m sorry, I thought I’d be back to normal after coming back home, but then the world cup happened and I’ve been nearly obsessed since…

This is just to get rid of some emotion I have :)