Simple Act Three

Simple Act of Loving You

The sun had set but, much to everyone’s dismay, it had left behind that unforgiving heat that had been scorching Seoul all summer. It was going to be yet another long evening of desperately trying to avoid melting all over each other and no one was really looking forward to it. The dorm was a cacophony of complaints about the lack of cold beverages or treats in their fridge and little arguments over ice packs and whether the puddle on the floor over there was water or sweat. Finally Dongwoon broke through it all and brilliantly suggested that they all kill a few hours in the comfort of an air conditioned movie theater. The idea appealed to everyone, but Yoseob was nursing a massive headache and a general feeling of exhaustion so he just wasn’t up to leaving the house. He put on a smile and encouraged them to go out and have a good time.

As the others prepared to leave, Yoseob retreated to his bedroom to lie down. Doojoon followed him and sat beside him on the bed, reluctant to leave him home alone when he wasn’t feeling well. Yoseob returned his frown with another smile and assured him he would be fine. Doojoon brushed a lock of sweat-dampened hair from the younger boy’s cheek and noted the weariness in his eyes. For a moment Yoseob rested his head on Doojoon’s shoulder, insisting that he should go out and have some fun. Nodding, Doojoon rose and promised not to be gone too long. Before he left, however, he dragged the fan in from the living room so Yoseob would have some relief while he tried to rest.

A few minutes later the entire dorm was silent save for the motor on the fan and Yoseob was laying on his back in bed, drenched with sweat and staring blankly at the ceiling. He squirmed for a while before rolling out of bed and wandering into the kitchen in search of something – anything – cold. He knew full well they were out of everything that would offer even a little relief, but he was miserable enough to make one more pointless go of it. He had just shut the freezer door when he heard the telltale sounds of someone entering the apartment.

Stepping out into the living room Yoseob nearly collided with Doojoon.

“What are you doing back here?”

“I couldn’t leave you here all alone,” Doojoon replied matter-of-factly. He lifted up a small white plastic shopping bag. “I just went out to get you something.”

Yoseob couldn’t help but grin. “You didn’t have to do that. You should have gone to the movies.”

Doojoon waved his free hand dismissively and walked over to the couch, Yoseob following close behind. “I can go to the movies whenever. It’s not important.” They both sat down and the older boy rummaged around in the bag for a second. “Besides, I had a feeling you could really use this about now.”

Yoseob’s eyes lit up when Doojoon pulled the box of melon ice cream bars out of the bag, the cardboard still frosty and dripping with gloriously ice cold water from the convenience store freezers. “You brought me ice cream?!” He impulsively threw his arms around Doojoon’s neck, eliciting a startled but pleased little laugh, and then reached eagerly for the frozen treats. “See, this is why I know you love me.”

Doojoon lifted an eyebrow as Yoseob tore into the box and unwrapped two bars, handing one to him. “Because I brought you ice cream?”

“Yes.” Yoseob took his first glorious bite and then laughed at the expression on Doojoon’s face. “And because of all the simple little things you do for me that no one else would ever notice. It’s really sweet.”

A hot redness flushed Doojoon’s neck and cheeks and he gruffly bit into his ice cream bar as he looked away. It only made Yoseob laugh more. “Stop it,” the older boy muttered.

“What?!” Yoseob exclaimed teasingly. “Aww Did I make you blush?”

“Shut up!”

Yoseob moved closer, linking arms with him and threading their fingers together as he rested his head against Doojoon’s broad shoulder. “I love you, too.”

Doojoon didn’t reply. He didn’t need to. The two sat silently, holding hands and eating ice cream in the dense heat of the apartment, happily and quite simply in love.