Idea

The Summer to-do List


A tiring morning, an empty night
A boring day like today
Whoever wants to be special, hands up
Fine, you are pretty handsome
Whether it’s wrong or not, put your pride on the stage and show me

 

"Are you going to do anything interesting this summer?" Reilly asked Amy. Reilly was going through Amy's closet while Amy was studying at her desk.

"I don't know, are you gonna buy your own clothes?" Amy retorted. Reilly whipped around and feigned hurt. She clutched her chest and fell onto the bed. "Amy we are the same size and you have better taste than I do. It's only fair that I borrow your clothes. You hardly wear the cute stuff!"

"Relax! I was kidding," Amy closed her book and rolled her desk chair across the room. She laughed at her best friend that was dramatically spread across her bed. Amy looked around her room and smiled at the photos of the two of them hung around her room. There really wasn't much else in her room. A bookshelf full of business and astronomy textbooks, a closet full of clothes, a big bed with black and white flowers, and a desk with papers and pens spread across.

"But seriously," Reilly jolted up and stared at her friend. "You have got to do something this summer. All you ever do is hole up in your room and study. I'm worried about you."

Amy sighed. Reilly is a sweetheart but she didn't understand Amy's love for studying. "Just because I don't party every weekend and I don't have a hot boyfriend doesn't mean I'm not happy."

"You know, for a blonde you don't have much fun."

"You know, for a black girl you're lacking a weave."

"Rude." Reilly said shortly.

"Ditto." Amy laughed.

"I know that but come on! When was the last time you did something risky or you had that bubbly butterfly feeling in your tummy? That's what being a teenager is sposed to feel like!" Reilly pleaded with Amy. Amy spun her chair around a few times. "See, you can't remember."

"There's been times I'm sure of it. I just, can't think of any."

"MHM yeah whatever. I'm going to think of something for us to do over the summer. Your going to have some good heart racing fun." Reilly grinned as she began brainstorming.

"You scare me when you think."

Following that remark came a bout of evil laughter from Reilly.

•. •. •.

A week later, Reilly had finally come up with the perfect list of things to do over the summer. She decided to share it with Amy at lunch. On the last day of school.

"How long is this list?" Amy asked as she grabbed a tray and passed one to Reilly.

"It's only like," Reilly started to count the activities on the list quietly. "Fifteen things give or take?"

"Fifteen for the whole summer?" Amy snickered and started through the lunch line.

"Some are big!" Reilly whined trying to defend herself.

"Alright. So what's first?" Amy grabbed an apple to put on her tray.

"Meet some new people." Reilly said smiling. She pulled a banana out of the fruit bowl.

"I've met enough people Reilly." Amy said with a sigh.

"Fine, meet a boy." Reilly gave Amy a wink. Amy shook her head as she felt her cheeks tingle. She had never been one for relationships. Needless to say she's turned down a fair share of boys. Plus she blushed easily.

"Go to a big amusement park!" Reilly suggested excitedly. She reached into the cooler to grab a carton of milk. She offered one to Amy. She nodded and took it.

"I do like roller coasters. I haven't been on one in a long time." Amy said cautiously. Reilly have her a look complimented with a devious grin.

"Have someone win you a prize at said amusement park." She said.

"Oh I don't know, does that stuff even happen? I've only seen it in movies." Amy grimaced as she looked at the vegetables in metal pans.

"Who actually likes this stuff?" Reilly asked no one in particular as she looked at her tray.

"I have no idea but at least it's edible." Amy replied.

They made their way to their usual picnic table outside the lunch room. Amy plopped down unceremoniously and began opening her milk.

"Okay so how about going stargazing? You used to love astronomy." Reilly suggested. She was more delicate about sitting down. She set her back pack down gently on the ground after setting her tray down on the table.

"I actually like that one! That sounds fun." Amy cried. Reilly cheered. "Finally! You actually like my idea! Praise the gods!"

Amy laughed and motioned for Reilly to continue reading the list.

"Do something just plain crazy. Out of character insane." Reilly said. Amy smirked and rolled her eyes. "Alright well, how about going to the beach?"

Amy quickly dismissed the idea. "I'll get sunburnt."

"Well that cancels my next idea," Reilly mumbled. Amy raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Tan."

"Are these suggestions for both of is or just me?" Amy giggled.

"So because I'm black I can't wish that I could tan?" Reilly gave Amy a look.

"Well I'm just saying, I wish I could tan too but I'm pale. moral of the story is, we can't go tanning." Amy said bringing a smile back to her friends face.

"Spend a bunch of money on something silly." Reilly really seemed keen on this idea.

"What do you mean?" Amy asked.

"You know, like a silly gift, an outfit, or a bunch of candy! Just spend money on something that's not practical but makes you happy."

"That's," Amy wanted to say it was stupid and absolutely a bad idea, but she knew Reilly's intents. Reilly was a hopeless romantic and practicality was not her strong suit. She preferred spontaneous actions and living in the moment. You could say that's why they were such good friends. Reilly helped Amy keep an open mind, while Amy kept Reilly grounded. "That's an interesting idea."

Reilly's smile brightened. "Get a stupid part time job. You know everyone has a job when their a teenager and they hate it. But it's part of growing up. We both need one!"

"Fine that sounds do-able." Amy took a huge bite of her apple.

"Have a water gun fight." Reilly said simply.

"Okay, is that it? Just a water gun fight?" Amy was skeptical of such a childish and basic suggestion.

"Yep." Reilly nodded and moved down the list. "Have a house party!"

"What?" Amy started to choke on her apple. Reilly sprang up to slap her friend on the back. Amy coughed and shooed Reilly away. "I-I-I'm fine. But did you really suggest a house party? My house isn't big enough for that."

"We'll find a way around it. And I didn't say a giant house party that you invite the whole school to. Just a party." Reilly explained as she sat back down.

"Kiss some one in the rain." Reilly said dreamily. Amy laughed. Of course she would suggest such a cliché.

"Break a heart." Amy stared at Reilly.

"Why the hell would I wanna break someone's heart?" Amy asked.

"It's part of young love. Like that song How to Be A Heartbreaker! Young love is all about push and pull, power and control, and breaking hearts. You have yet to experience any of that."

"I don't understand you. But what's next?"

"Finally, have fun."

"I have fun every summer you dork."

"Oh of course you do, but again I'm talking about heart racing once in a lifetime fun." Reilly said with a dreamy smile.

•. •. •.

The evening breeze flew through the kitchen curtains as Reilly helped her mother wash the dishes. Reilly shivered and reached to close the window.

"Reilly it's not that cold." Her mother mumbled as she put away a few cups.

"Mom," Reilly waited for her mother to look at her.

She turned around to see Reilly sitting on the counter. "What honey?"

"You know how I've been wanting to visit the lake house?" Her mother nodded. "Well I was wondering if you'd let Amy and I stay there for a while."

"Oh I don't know hon. You've never been there by yourself."

"Oh mom please! I'm going to be a senior! I'm responsible! I'll be good, we'll clean it, we won't break anything, I'll make sure to lock all the windows and doors every night and every time we go somewhere, I'll mow the lawn, I'll-" Reilly was interrupted by a dish towel thrown at her face.

"Okay! okay! I'll talk to your father about it. I'm okay with it but I'll have to make sure he's okay with it." Reilly jumped up and hugged her mother. Reilly ran to go find her father.

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Go talk to mom!" She shouted at the house.

"Shut up would you?" Reilly's younger brother yelled from his room. Reilly groaned and stomped to her room.

She immediately went to her computer. She opened a file of pictures from last summer. She needed to figure out how much room she and Amy would have to hang out. Reilly remembered the lake house feeling small but maybe with less people it would seem bigger. Four bedrooms and three bathrooms. Okay maybe it was big. Last summer her aunt and her three kids stayed with Reilly's mom and her 4 kids (including Reilly).

Reilly squirmed in her seat. She was hoping and wishing as hard as she could. She really wanted to have an amazing summer with Amy. She was afraid that Amy was going to turn into a depressed lump if she didn't have some fun soon.

There was a knock on Reilly's door.

"Come in!" Reilly told the intruder.

"So your mother tells me you want to stay at the lake house? By yourself?" Her father asks as he walks in.

"Not all by myself! I want to stay there with Amy." She explained. He took a seat on her bed and thought it over.

"How long?"

"I don't know. I mean I wanna stay the whole summer but I didn't know if that was possible." Reilly told him. She could feel a wave of doubt and disappointment washing over her. He was gonna say no.

"Would you do all of the chores and upkeep?" He asked.

"Of course!" She nodded eagerly.

"Why do you wanna go so badly?" He asked. Reilly laughed.

"I want to have the best summer ever. I also wanna make sure that Amy has a good one too. The only way to get her to have some fun is to rip her out of that little study hole she has her room made out to be!" Reilly cried waving her arms for emphasis. Her dad started to laugh.

"Well, I'm gonna trust you to be a responsible young adult. Call us every day to make sure we know what's up. Make sure everything is good with Amy's parents and you can go." He told her slowly. Reilly couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. They never let her do anything by herself. This was the ultimate chance to prove that she was responsible. Also, a chance to meet cute boys and party with her best friend without her tag along family.