The World Could Be Burning Down

Dark Blue

"Let's go out tonight."

"You mean like, out to dinner? It's almost midnight."

"No, just out. Like for a walk or something." She looked at him with an incredulous look, but could almost immediately tell that he was being serious. Well, it was just like him to propose such a spontaneous plan. She had to admit, it kept life interesting. He gave her one last pleading look before she caved and stood up to go get a jacket from her room. He patiently waited for her and smiled when she shuffled towards him, pulling on the hoodie with her hat between her teeth.

Gently, he took the hat from her and placed it on her head. He took a moment to brush his thumbs against her cheeks before dropping his hand and grasping one of hers. She smiled and followed him out the door and down the street. He never released her hand, and would occasionally swing it playfully as they walked.

"If the world were to be hit by a meteor in an hour, what would you do?" He laughed and nudged her.

"Spend that last hour with you, of course." She smiled, satisfied with his answer. They went back and forth like that, asking each other bizarre questions and laughing at their answers. Before they knew it, Hyungsik had lead them to a bunch of fountains. Surprisingly, they were still running and brightly lit up, despite the late hour.

He turned to give her a mischeivous grin and a wink before taking off his shoes and socks, rolling up his pants shortly after. She watched him as he tentatively stepped into the fountain water, momentarily cringing at its cold temperature. He splashed around for a minute before gesturing for her to join him. She shook her head and crossed her arms stubbornly. He rolled his eyes and groaned in response. He hated when she .

He hopped out of the fountain and practically skipped over to her. He tugged at her arm and gave her another pleading look. It was almost reminiscent of a kid begging his mom for ice cream or candy. She laughed and reached down to slip off her shoes and socks, not bothering to roll up the legs of her sweatpants like him. He impatiently pulled her into the technicoloured water along with him, splashing her and running away.

They played like that until they were both exhausted, sitting down on the edge of the fountain to try and catch their breath.

"I haven't had this much fun in a while."

"Me neither. I'm glad you're here to bring some much-needed joy into my life." He smiled wistfully and rested his head on her shoulder. His hair was damp from their romping around, but it felt cool against her skin. He reached up a little to plant a small kiss on her jawline before going back onto the grass surrounding the fountains. She followed him curiously.

Without a word, he plopped down on the grass and stretched out, sighing contentedly. She laid down beside him and used his chest as a pillow. She was exhausted from chasing him around the fountains, and she managed to elicit a small chuckle from him when he heard her tired sigh. She teasingly poked him in the side in return.

"You're really too much sometimes."

"But to you, I'm exactly the right amount, right?"

"Only to me." He smiled down at her and kissed her head. She looked up at him, trying to guess what he was thinking about. As always, she had no idea. Hyungsik was one of the people she could never quite figure out. She assumed it's what made her life fun, but it was hard to say.

He tugged on her hair, snapping her back to reality before he leaned down to kiss her. She immediately kissed him back, reaching one hand up to tangle her fingers in his hair, feeling the course texture beneath her fingertips and the rise and fall of his chest. At that moment, everything faded out - the sounds of crickets and cicadas, as well as the chatter of a few late-night walkers down the road. Just then, it was only the two of them.

Hyungsik hummed happily into the kiss and sat up a little so he could free one hand to grasp her neck. He ran his thumb over her jaw and neck, savoring all the little sensations he was getting. Reluctantly, he pulled apart from her, only to kiss her forehead and pull her close to him.

She took a deep breath, relishing the feeling of him holding her. He smelled almost a little bit like wet dog, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. No, to her, everything about that boy was perfect.

"Thank you, Hyungsik."

"For what?"

"For this. For everything." He smiled and kissed her again. His arm gave out underneath them and they both fell back onto the grass, staring up at the stars.

"I like it like this - just me and you. No one to bother us."

"No one at all."

His hand reached out and melded into hers again. They laid there, side by side, staring up at the stars and picking out constellations to each other for a good hour or so. He rolled onto his side to look at her again, and she mirrored his movement. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but blushed and quickly pressed his lips together. 

"What is it?" He shook his head.

"Nothing, I don't want it to come out wrong. It sounds too cheesy."

"You know I'm a sap. Say it anyway." She gave him a reassuring look. He sighed and gave in.

"Even though we're surrounded by stars and bright lights, the brightest thing here, to me, is you. Don't ever leave my side, okay? I feel like I would be stumbling around in the dark without you." He laughed awkwardly and looked down. She scooted closer and kissed him in response. He wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace, burying his head in her damp hair. After some time he finally mumbled something she barely caught.

"Don't ever leave me."