Learning to Breathe

A Changkyu Collection

 

It's windy. Changmin doesn't wear a jacket while he sits on the curb of the sidewalk, staring down at the black asphalt of the road. His chest feels heavy when he breathes in, the air catches and stops – it's painful when he exhales.

 

“You should really be wearing a jacket,” Changmin hears from above him. The voice is familiar, but Changmin doesn't look up – doesn't look to see who's out here with him. Instead he coughs and focuses on breathing, because at the moment, that's the hardest thing he has to do.

 

It just hurts.

 

He can hears scuffing next to him, and from the corner of his eyes sees his best friend sit on the curb next to him. Changmin coughs again.

 

“Aren't you cold?” Kyuhyun says next to Changmin, but he doesn't respond.

 

Changmin thinks that maybe Kyuhyun has come to mock him, maybe push him around and tell him how ridiculous he's being. But it's just silent and Changmin can hear the wind through the leaves and feels the slice of cold air that stabs at his insides every time he inhales.

 

“It wasn't -” Changmin starts, but he can't finish. His voice is hoarse and weird and he's never really heard himself sound like this before.

 

“It wasn't-” He tries again, fails, and stops trying.

 

He just sees the grooves of the black concrete before him, hears the shuffling of Kyuhyun's clothing when he moves.

 

“It will be okay.”  


 

What I was trying to say didn't quite come out right. x__x But I kinda like it. For now. asdlkfjsdlk