Let's Start Over Again

Red Roses, Grey Petals ( 레드 장미, 회색 꽃잎)

Chapter One :

 

Breathe. Breathe. Can I breathe under water? Focus. Keep a clear mind, just so I can breathe under water. Two seconds later, my eyes open wide, and then I realize, I cannot breathe.

 

She strongly pedaled herself upwards, her head out of the surface of the water, gasping for air desperately. Breathing three times her normal rate, she looked at the clock on the wall to her right. It was exactly 7.30pm. Great, two minutes, she thought. She could now hold her breath under water for four minutes. As she swam over to reach the end of the swimming pool, a familiar voice from behind could be heard.

 

“Seyeon, is that you?” said the lifeguard, squinting his eyes to get a better view.

“Oh, hello! I’m just about to leave,” said Seyeon as she lifted herself out of the water, smiling at the latter.

“Did you enjoy your session?” asked the lifeguard again as he e of the main lights off.

 

Seyeon smiled again, and nodded. This time her smile appeared to be forceful, as if she was expecting something bad to happen the next second. She grabbed her towel, and, at the same time, reached for her phone, attempting to multitask like any other normal human being would. The screen showed she had two missed calls from an unknown number, and one new voice mail. Surprised, she called her voice mailbox to find out who was calling her.

 

“Hello, Miss Jin Seyeon? This is Kim Yooji from Seoul High. I am calling to inform you about your application. Congratulations, you have been accepted as a student here. Despite your late application, our headmaster has decided to accept you as a full time student. You will be expected to attend your first day in Seoul High tomorrow morning. Registration starts at 8am. I have also sent you an email with all information attached. For more enquiries, please call this number. Hope to see you tomorrow!”

 

Happily, she started walking and bumped into a person before she could even lift her head up and see what was in front of her.

 

“I’m sorry,” said the girl Seyeon had just bumped into.

“I should be the one apologizing,” she said, picking up the few pieces of music sheets the girl had dropped.

“Thanks,” the grateful smiled.

 

Seyeon handed the sheets over to the girl, and said, “I really like this piece. It is quite hard to play, isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah it is actually. Considering I’ve only started playing the piano a few months ago,” the girl chuckled as she explained.

 

The two exchanged smiles, and the girl walked away as if she was in a rush. Seyeon, on the other hand, was beyond happy as she was reminded by the fact that one of the best schools in South Korea had accepted her despite her late application. This might just be the start of my new life.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“I’m leaving!” exclaimed a girl wearing a black fitted suit and what seemed like a pair of black 6 inches high heels.

“Didn’t I ask you to quit that job?” said her father who sounded agitated.

“I like my job, Dad. In fact, I love it. So don’t ever tell me to quit on what I want and love to do,”

“Seungyeon, you’re going to have to quit it sooner or later. Who’s going to manage the company if it isn’t you?”

“Dad. I’m not the only one in the family. I’m sure Seungjin can do a better job than me,”

“You –“

 

Before Mr Han could finish his sentence, Seungyeon had already dashed out of the huge mansion as if a strong wind blew her away. I hate it when he starts telling me about the company. After a short pause, Seungyeon shook her head to clear away that thought, and a smile pasted on her face like nothing had happened. She was born with a silver spoon fed into , so she had everything she ever wanted, except one thing; Hong Jonghyun’s affection.

 

About fifteen minutes later, Seungyeon arrived at the company she was working in. As usual, she scanned her pass to enter the building. Just as she was about to walk into the concrete-made building, a sweet yet manly voice came from behind.

 

“Good morning,” said Jonghyun with a smile that could melt every girl’s heart.

 

Seungyeon turned around, surprised. What do I do?  She just stared at him, somehow with an undistinguishable look. Her eyes did not blink for what seemed like forever.

 

“Are you feeling alright?” he asked in a rather worried tone.

“Ah - uhm, yes I’m fine! Good morning!” She struggled to find anything else to say.

“Are you free tonight?”

 

Seungyeon looked very surprised at what Jonghyun had just asked her. Is he going to ask me out for a meal?  She kept quiet for a moment.

 

“I’m taking that as a no?” said Jonghyun with an unsure look.

“No, no! I have no plans tonight!”

“Great! Want to go out for dinner together? Since we’ve been put together as a pair for this project, maybe a meal might help us think innovatively,” he suggested.

 

Seungyeon nodded and smiled happily. I cannot believe what just happened.

 

“Well, see you later,” said her dream guy coolly, increasing his speed as he approached the elevator.

 

Her eyes shaped into two crescent moons, and her smile was wider than ever. Yes! Her mind was screaming and her heart was throbbing as hard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It’s been two years since you left. I know I should be feeling okay after all these years, but the pain still feels fresh, and the wound never seems to heal. I’m sorry. I miss you.

 

She placed lilac flowers next to a man’s tombstone, whose name was carved as “Kim Hyunwoo”. She closed her eyes hard to pray, and tears fell down her cheeks. It suddenly felt like the world was a vacuum, and her mind was relaxed and clear.

 

“Who do you think you are?” an aged woman screamed from behind.

“Mrs Kim…”

“Leave! You have no rights to meet Hyunwoo. You caused his death, so who are you to stand here?”

“I’m really sorry,” said Gyuri from the bottom of her heart, tearing up in pain and guilt.

 

Without a blink, Mrs Kim’s palm went right across Gyuri’s face, giving her a hard slap. She didn’t look remorseful.

 

“Gyuri!”

 

Seungho ran towards her, and grabbed her to make sure she was okay. Gyuri’s right cheek was red, and traces of fingerprints could be seen quite clearly. Gyuri only kept quiet.

 

“Mrs Kim! What are you doing?” said Seungho angrily.

“Yang Seungho! I thought Hyunwoo made the right choice to have you as his best friend. Now you’re an accomplice?”

“Gyuri, let’s go. It’s not worth apologizing. You didn’t do anything wrong,” said Seungho, looking upset.

 

Seungho grabbed her hand and left the cemetery immediately. Gyuri, who looked despondent, finally said something.

 

“Thank you,”

Seungho stopped, “For what?”

“For that. For that,” said Gyuri without further explanations. She started to tear up again, “Seungho. I really miss him,”

 

Seeing the girl he loved crying, he felt a searing pain in his heart, perhaps even worse than a stab. He couldn’t help but pulled her into his arms, and comforted her. Her head rested against his chest, and her cry got louder. He her hair backwards to assure her.

 

                                                                                    ------

 

They sat down in a very cozy and home-like bakery, “Our Shared Paradise”. Gyuri still looked emotional, which worried Seungho even more.

 

“Can I get you anything? Coffee?” asked Seungho.

 

Gyuri nodded without facing him eye to eye. Her face wasn’t smiling, and her eyes were puffy after all the crying. She stared at her hands as if they represented a mirror. Seungho went to the counter to order some beverages.

 

“Welcome to “Our Shared Paradise”! How can I help you,” said Nicole politely.

“Please may I have a cup of hot mocha and some iced coffee with no milk and an extra shot?” Seungho knew Gyuri hated milk and liked her coffee stronger.

“Sure thing! Would you like to try my new creations?” asked Nicole as she pointed at the cakes which looked fresh and mouth-watering.

Seungho turned around and glanced at Gyuri, “I’ll have a piece of this chocolate cake. It looks really good,”

 

Gyuri finally lifted her head up, and looked outside the window. The city was busier than ever, with cars speeding and pedestrians walking carefully across the roads. A guy with black sunglasses and posh outfit appeared out of nowhere, outside the bakery. Gyuri stared at him as he passed by. He looked exactly like him. Hyunwoo?