Chapter 2

Unrequited Love

Haneul sighed as she closed the book she was reading. Keeping your feelings to yourself for 7 years was too much for Haneul to handle. Spending most of her times with Sehun and Eunsu and no one else, made it harder for Haneul to withstand the pain. Having a crush on your bestfriend in the first place was wrong.

But it's not like she could help it. 

She tried to distract herself from  Sehun and Eunsu by helping her parents with their business, and basically that's what she did. It did help her get off things for a while, until one day, Eunsu approached her and asked her to spend time with her bestest friend.

"Haneul, are you like...avoiding me and Sehun by distracting yourself with this? Cause clearly we all know how you hate to help your parents with their business. Because it's also one of the reasons why you're with us, right?" Eunsu said nonchalantly, not minding the look she was receiving from Haneul. What she said was somewhat true.

And it was embarrassing, even to Haneul.

"No, I have not. I'm just..helping cause my parents need it. Oh, and where's Sehun?" Haneul asked as she looked over Eunsu. "I don't see him with you."

"Oh, that kid is in the kitchen eating strawberry cakes. He's going to get fat someday, trust me." Eunsu laughed as Haneul nodded. "Yeah, well, it's not like he could help it. We all know how much he loves strawberries, right?" Haneul said as a matter of factly.

"Nope. I did'nt know that.  Not until you told me. Oh well. Let's go. Let's play! It's been so long since we last spend time with each other!" Eunsu pouted as she tugged on Haneul's jacket. "Oh, and I have an assignment for you to help me with cause I'm going out with Haewol later." 

"Haewol? Who's Haewol?" Haneul asked, raising her brow.

"Oh, yeah! I forgot to tell you! He's really cute! He's my classmate and well, it kinda happened." Eunsu smiled widely, tucking her hair behind her. 

"Oh okay then. Uhh, but be careful okay? Guys can be decieving because of their looks. I'll help you but you need to do your job too, okay? If not, it's not a lesson learned." Haneul wagged her fingers playfully as Eunsu nodded and lead Haneul the way to her room. 

"Yeah well. Okay, miss smarty pants." Eunsu tickled Haneul's sides as Haneul swatted Eunsu's hands away with much force. Although Eunsu looks like a nice, soft girl, she is actually quite harsh when it comes to things like this.

"Call me if anything crops up. Your assignment is about...?" Haneul asked as she shook her head.

"Hmm, occupations. Like astrologists, scientists and stuff. I don't understand why teachers ask 13 year old kids to do projects like this.  I mean, I'd rather spend my time sketching and buying clothes. I mean this is too...boring." Eunsu said as she waved her hands lazily.

"Yeah well, apparently we have to do it no matter what. And I think I know why they ask us to do this. Maybe they want us to reflect on ourselves as to what we want to be when we grow up later. You know?" Haneul said as she started typing Eunsu's article.

"Yeah, maybe. Although it does'nt really make sense. I mean, we're just 13 year olds. What do we know?" Eunsu said as she started choosing what outfit to wear for her date. Haneul shrugged as she typed the article, looked for some information online and listened to her favourite song while singing along to it.

Eunsu danced as she started applying some makeup and sighed in satisfaction when she was ready. "Why am I always pretty? I think I should bring you shopping one day, only the 2 of us. I mean Haneul, I know that you're in the soccer club and all, but you need to dress up sometime, be attractive and well, date maybe." Eunsu said as she took a seat beside Haneul.

"Dress up? Date? No thanks. I'd rather spend time practicing for soccer with Sehun. Oh speaking of which, Sehun usually sticks with you right? Where is he?" Haneul asked as a faint blush of pink appeared on her cheeks by the mention of Sehun. She really needs to get over that boy, knowing that she has no chance in getting him.

"Sehun? I don't know. He was'nt here all day. Kinda weird cause he usually sticks to me like glue. Oh well, I feel better cause at least I don't have to attend to him. He's a handful!" Eunsu rolled her eyes, and shook her head. Haneul smiled as she returned to Eunsu's assignment.

"Okay then. Guess I'll be going first. If you have anything to ask me just text me. I may be home late so.." Eunsu grabbed her bag and kissed Haneul's forehead before heading out. Haneul gave a genuine smile as she started to feel curious. Sehun never kept secrets from them. But why does Haneul feel like Sehun was hiding something from her and Eunsu? 

Haneul shook her head sideways, pushing those unusual thoughts away. She trusted Sehun, and she knew that she will keep it that way no matter what happens. Haneul spent the rest of the day finishing Eunsu's assignment when she was called by her parents to have dinner.

"Here, eat vegetables. It's good for you." Mrs Kim handed Haneul a spoonful of green spinach on her plate. Haneul nodded reassuringly as she pouted slightly, aware that it was just her parents, Eunsu's parents and her. Curiosity got over her as Haneul readjusted her seat. Haneul cleared , making everyone turn to her.

"Is there something you need, dear?" Mr Kim asked.

"No I'm just...uhh..curious as to where Sehun and his parents are. Do any of you have any idea, perhaps?" Haneul asked, raising her brows. The elders exchanged glances before turning back to Haneul. "Haneul dear, you father and I have something to discuss with you later. Follow us okay?" Mrs Kim said in her motherly voice. Haneul nodded as she looked at her plate of rice, with no more appetite. 

She was sure something was going on with Sehun. But what?

-----

"Haneul, take a seat. This is about Sehun and I know that it's still too early and all but well, it's settled and confirmed so I hope you're okay with it." Mrs Kim said as she caressed Haneul's hair in a soothing manner.

"Cut to the chase, mom. What is it?" 

"Sehun and his parents are moving away to Canada. And well, maybe forever." Mrs Kim said softly, knowing that it was a big news for Haneul to understand and keep it all in. She knows that her daughter and Sehun and Eunsu are the best of friends and that they could'nt be divided but what can they do? Mr Oh was given an opportunity to expand his family business there. 

"Really? Wow, that's...reassuring." Haneul sighed, her facial expression turned to one that is crestfallen. Canada? Wow.

"What's the occasion? His father?"

"Yeah. His father was given a raise and a promotion and that they are going to expand their business there. And well, of course Mr Oh agreed. Honey, I know that this news is really disheartening but it's settled and that explains why Sehun is'nt here today. They are packing and leaving tomorrow. You can meet him later to say your goodbyes. I'm sorry honey." Mrs Kim said, sobbing a little.

"Okay then. I'll just break this news to Eunsu later." Haneul sighed, trying her best to keep those tears in. It was hard, no doubt. The only thing on Haneul's mind was how is she going to communicate with Sehun when they are so far away from each other? How are they going to stay as best friends forever and basically, how are they going to spend the rest of their lives, not meeting face-to-face with each other?

It was definitely going to be difficult for Haneul and well, she does'nt know if she was ever going to be okay, without Sehun to help her practice soccer and stuff.

'Eunsu, Sehun and his family will be flying off to Canada tomorrow morning. They will be staying there for a long time, maybe they are not going to return here. So, I hope you could return early so we could spend time with Sehun before he flies.'  

 Haneul let out a sigh as she laid on her bed. She realised that she often sigh these days and well, there's a huge possibility that she's going to do more of that. Haneul tapped her hand, waiting for a reply from Eunsu is probably going to take her 10 years. 

Beep

"Finally." Haneul muttered as she looked at her phone screen.

'Really?! Noted. Okay, I'm on my way. Tell me everything later okay?'

Haneul stared at the ceiling in her room, counting the cracks and that was where Haneul felt...empty. She did'nt know what she was supposed to do. How does she and Sehun and Eunsu communicate while Sehun is there in Canada, school in a new school and get new friends? Will he forget them? Will he miss them?

"Sehun..."

"Haneul! There you are! I've been looking for you! Where is Eunsu? I heard she went for a date? Oh and-"

"Sehun, tell me. Are you going anywhere? Tomorrow?" Haneul asked. She had to. She wants to make sure if Sehun is telling the truth or not. And well, this is probably the best way to find out.

"T-tomorrow? Why?" Sehun stuttered. He was taken aback by that question. Why did Haneul suddenly ask him that question out of nowhere? 

"Yeah, tomorrow. Cause..Eunsu and I, we'll be going to the theme park tomorrow and I think we should go together and spend some time. We wanna bring you as well since we know how much you like going to theme parks and all. No?" Haneul asked, taking a seat at her beanbag.

Sehun played with his fingers at the back of his hands. No doubt they were sweating and Sehun was trembling, obviously. Sehun looked left and right, avoiding Haneul's gaze that was super intense he swore he felt like Haneul was going to eat him alive. What's going on, really? Does Haneul know about it, perhaps? 

"Theme park? Sounds fun but I am going out with my parents tomorrow. To uhh...buy stuff." Sehun lied, closing his eyes temporarily. 

"Stuff? What stuff? Can Eunsu and I follow you?"  Haneul asked, giving Sehun a deathly glare. Sehun took a seat on the bed conscientiously, eyeing Haneul at the end of his eye.

"My parents won't allow, though. I would like to-"

"Stop, it Oh Sehun! Just tell me the truth! Are you flying to Canada tomorrow or not?!" Haneul burst out, making Sehun squirm in his seat. Sehun looked at Haneul wearily, and Sehun was sure he never saw Haneul this angry before. Sehun gulped, fanning himself abit. The tension in the room was unexplainable.

"Yes. My family will be staying there  for a long time because of my father's business. I'm sorry for not telling you and Eunsu earlier. I'm afraid the two of you would be mad at me so I planned on telling the both of you when I was leaving but looks like you already know about it. I'm sorry, Haneul, really." Sehun stood up and sat near Haneul. 

Haneul looked away from Sehun. Looking at him in this state would only make her cry more. She was already at the verge of breaking down but she knew she could'nt do so infront of Sehun. But hearing how soft and low Sehun's voice was, showed how bitter and heartbroken he felt as well to leave his best friends. 

"It's okay, Sehun. I don't blame you. It's just...too sudden for me and Eunsu to take this news. Eunsu is coming anytime soon and-"

"Sehun! How dare you!" Eunsu shouted and shoved Sehun strongly on the shoulders before embracing him in a friendly hug. "You are getting it from me, I swear!" Eunsu purposely shouted directly on Sehun's ear, making the poor boy shut his eyes. "Ouch!" Sehun shouted, glaring at Eunsu.

"Hehe, sorry. But you deserved it, Oh Sehun! How could you just leave the 2 of us like that?!" Eunsu placed both her hands on her hips, wagging her fingers. 

"It's a long story, Eunsu. I'm sorry you guys, really." Sehun pouted, playing with his fingers. "I really want to spend my whole life with the two of you but looks like God has a different plan for all of us. I'll definitely contact you guys though, don't worry. We'll email each other. Eunsu, what's your name?" Sehun asked as he grabbed a paper and a pen.

"Mail? Hmm, ask for Haneul's. I don't check them anymore." Eunsu said, flipping her hair cooly. 

"But, I need yours too! Haneul, what's yours? And Eunsu's?" Sehun turned to Haneul, his hair dropping right above his eyes cutely. 

"Mine is haneul09_@hotmail. com and Eunsu's is eunsu10. How about yours, Sehun?" Haneul asked sweetly, her bangs swept to the side. "I'll make sure to reply you often. We need to make sure everyone's doing fine, right?" 

"Yeah. Mine is just sehun101@hotmail. com.We can Skpe too you know! Don't worry. We'll feel like we're together, as always." Sehun said as he caressed Haneul's hair, giving her one of his winks that could make a person die. Well, thank god Haneul did'nt faint. 

"Oh, how was the date, Eunsu? Was Haewol a gentleman?" Haneul asked as she eyed Eunsu who was removing makeup from her face. "Will there be a second date?" 

"Haewol? Ehh, he's so-so. I don't understand why many girls go cray cray over him. And I suppose there's no second date." Eunsu shrugged. Sehun smiled for the slightest bit, thanking the Gods above for hearing his prayers.

"I suppose there's no other guy out there that can satisfy you other than me, right, Haneul?" Sehun giggled as Haneul nodded. "Yeah, I mean, we all know each other inside out, all our deepest secrets and all. Like Sehun's undying love for strawberry?" Haneul joked. 

"Hey! Well, we also know about Haneul's undying love towards me, right?" Sehun laughed, clutching his stomach for air. 

Haneul gaped. What was that about? Did Sehun know about her crush towards him? There is no way! No one knew about it except for her, even Eunsu is clueless about it.

"You wish! Why would I like a dork like you who loves to eat strawberries? And I need to have a talk with Eunsu so please, out." Haneul said, avoiding Sehun's gaze on her. She was probably blushing like a strawberry. Embarassing much?

"Okay, we'll play later okay? Our last game together." Sehun said as he left the room gloomily. Everyone could tell that Sehun is'nt all smiles with the sudden news either. 

-----

"Bye! Make sure to give us a call when you've reached!" Eunsu said as she waved to Sehun whom just entered the car with a dejected look evident on his baby-like face. Haneul stood beside Eunsu with a sad look. She looked away when Sehun sent her a smile because she just could'nt accept the fact that Sehun won't be with them anymore. They can't play tag-you're-it (Sehun's favourite game) anymore and well, that news did'nt  sound exciting at all.

Eunsu was about to leave even though Sehun was'nt even about to go just yet and Haneul, with a confused look grabbed Eunsu's wrist. Eunsu turned to Haneul and raised her brows, wondering what's wrong. 

"A-are'nt you sending Sehun off?" Haneul asked. 

"I can't. I've got alot of work to do." Eunsu said and pouted her lips like a 5-year-old.

"Okay but Sehun's leaving! We won't be able to see him anymore! Don't you want to see him till he's driven off to the airport? I'll help you with your homework later, yeah?" Haneul looked at Eunsu with her puppy-like eyes and did aegyo. Eunsu squinted her eyes and sighed. 

"Fine, but you really need to help me." Eunsu said and Haneul smiled widely, happy that Eunsu decided to prioritize Sehun over her homework, although to Haneul, she'd prioritize Sehun over anything. 

"We're going off!" The driver announced before starting the engine. Just as he pulled the gear, Sehun shouted a 'wait!'. Everyone turned to Sehun and asked if anything was wrong. Sehun shook his head and opened the car door, advancing towards Eunsu. 

"I'll email you the moment I reach, okay? Make sure to check them!" Sehun said before going off. He ruffled Haneul's hair before going back to the car, ready to leave us. 

Eunsu just nodded nonchalantly and turned around, grabbed me in the process as we head to Eunsu's room. 

It was typical of Eunsu to ignore Sehun's attempts on trying to hit on her because she believes that Sehun's just at the stage where he starts to notice and care about first love and all. But no, that's not the case at all. Sehun really likes Eunsu. It's just whether Eunsu decides to ignore it or face it headfirst. 

It just seems like she had decided on ignoring Sehun. 

I just have no idea how she could resist Sehun.