Final

The Start Of Something New

The first time they met each other was at a noisy playground. They were both still toddlers, introduced only by their respective mothers. Luhan, at that time who was four, was grasping at his mother’s dress, sheepishly looking back and forth between his own two feet and his new friend, whom he had recalled as ‘mixing’ or was it ‘icing’? It didn’t matter.

The said boy had brown locks, eyes pure and innocent and if Luhan had put the effort to concentrate on his eyes, he would drown himself in them and never get back down to Earth safe and sound. The other boy was holding on to his mother’s hand, smiling like he had just won a candy, before extending his other little hand to offer Luhan a handshake.

“Hi, I’m Zhang Yixing. I’m four years old”

Luhan accepted the hand gesture, albeit hesitantly, and muttered out a shy, “And I’m Luhan”

Both Mrs. Zhang and Mrs. Lu smiled before letting them off to play on their own. Apparently, the two ladies had known each other since college, parted right after graduation and never saw each other again. It was a surprise to both when they met again in a playground, each holding a child in hand.

While they were catching up on life, Luhan was building a castle in a sandbox. He had brought along some fancy cups of different sizes. Pouring a little water in to make the sand not too dry, he then flipped the cup over and let the sand beneath it the water in, acting as a vacuum to hold its structure still before pulling it out, beaming at his successful achievement.

He looked around for his supposedly new friend, only to find him playing with some other kids on the seesaw. He sighed, I was going to ask him to join but never mind. Brushing off the sad thoughts, he then continued bringing his favourite hobby into completion.

Soon after, he had himself three towers, four cutely structured walls surrounding the towers and an arch. Feeling satisfied than ever with his creation, he stood up, brushed the sand sticking to his shorts before faking a cough.

“I shall hereby declare the Royal Castle is officially done.” He said, placing the Swedish flag he had retrieved after eating IKEA’s meatballs as the finishing touch, silently applauding himself a job well done.

He sat down again, bobbing his head from side to side as he admired his beautiful castle, dreaming how it would be like to actually own and live in one. It would be a plus if he could die in one too, he didn’t mind.

Before anything could drag on, a few kids appeared on his peripheral vision. If they weren’t running towards his side of the playground (he liked to call it his), he wouldn’t mind much. But they were, and so he craned his neck to their direction. He recalled them as the same bunch that was with Yixing just now. And they didn’t look all the friendliest.

Without realizing, they got too close to Luhan’s sandcastle and knocked it over, successfully ruining his masterpiece into nothingness. All of his precious towers, walls and arch were destroyed. Those delinquents muttered a quick apology before running towards another part of the playground.

Luhan, too stunned to react, could only look at his poor castle in utter sadness before deciding to call it a day. His insides were bubbling. He was fuming, sad, but mostly furious. While he was packing his things back into his bag, a human shadow appeared in front of him, towering him. Looking up, he squinted a little to figure out that it was none other than Yixing.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” He replied, hands still busy stacking the cups inside one another. He couldn’t be bothered. After the accident, his mood level had gone down to zero and he could no longer try to fake a smile.

Squatting down, Yixing smiled, “I saw you and your beautiful castle just then,” he interjected, “too bad I wasn’t there to build it with you”

“Well, don’t bother. That was a waste after those boys purposely ran over it.” Okay maybe they didn’t do it on purpose, but Luhan was too out of it to care. Still fuming, he continued, “and that was THE Royal Castle! Can you imagine? They totally wracked the Royal Castle and now no one is living happily ever after!” crossing his arm, he slightly pouted at the end.

What good was he to babble over spilt milk to a total stranger? He knew better than this.

What Luhan did not expect was a chuckle from the other boy. Had his misery gave Yixing a good laugh? The nerve!

“If so, why don’t we build a new one? I’m sure it needs a bit more reconstruction. And you may not know this but I am actually quite skillful at building sandcastles.”

Luhan was slightly taken aback by the offer. So this boy actually meant good. Nodding his head as an acceptance, he gingerly handed the cups to Yixing, muttering a quick, “Thanks a lot.” and they both started over, bickering onc­­e in a while over which tower should be put here and there, casually tying the knots of their newly found friendship.

So maybe Zhang Yixing was not so bad after all.

 


ok that's it lmaoooo told you not to put high expectations right? it's not even flufy haha im sorry. please comment and tell me what i'm lacking. i know this is a piece of crap hahahaha but anyway thanks for still sticking with me until the very end *sticks a 'well done' sticker on your forehead*

 

till the next time! bye~