Entry 2: The Graveyard

+ASH&DUST; COVERED STORIES+ WRITING CONTEST

 

Entry number two at your service (well, not yet)! And it's me again, Dust! ^^

This one's prompt was one of Ash's favorites, "waking up in a cemetary" That girl's seriously weird... (Ash, don't come and say that I'm not any different. Though I'm sure with that laziness, you wouldn't even try something like that...)

Oh, back to the topic! Because this story doesn't have an update yet, I'm not able to put the story here but here you have the link to the foreword! (x)

I will update this entry as soon as the story is put up, but don't forget to support the actual story, okay? ^^

-04.07.2014

 

 

Tey shivered, despite the light jacket he was wearing. As much as he wanted to pretend that the chill was coming from the weather, that wasn’t the truth. He was shivering from the feeling of standing at the gate of the graveyard. This was the same place that had been the focus for their investigations for the last month, though the chief always insisted on investigating in the daylight. He smiled, thinking about the conversation he had with the other man recently about the possibility of supernatural cases. According to the chief, that wasn’t a matter discuss, since they didn’t exist. Tey was ready to prove him wrong, if they could catch the bastard who had done these brutal killings and left the shredded, mangled bodies to rot. It was more of an animalistic attack, like a werewolf or something of the sort. 

“Let’s go in and investigate, unless you’re having second thoughts now,” Tey jumped at the sound of his partner’s voice. He had become so wrapped up in his thoughts that he had forgotten about the other man. “Yeah. Let’s start looking around. We may find something that the others didn’t.” Tey grinned at Doyeon, cocking his police revolver and stepping into the cemetery. They walked from one grave to the next, noticing that many of them hadn’t been touched. It was as if the killer was looking for something specific, and they were going to find out what it was. Tey shook his head, thinking about how disrespectful it was for the attacker to tear open graves and…

He stopped in his tracks, turning to his partner. “Hey, why would the attacker want to tear open graves? These people are already dead…aren’t they? The only other people who have been killed were the loved ones, if they were unlucky enough to come here at night.” 

Doyeon slapped him on the arm. “Don’t talk like that. It’s unnerving enough to come here around the graves, where spirits are bound to catch us and make US corpses. You scare me with your sadistic mind sometimes, Tey…seriously. What are we looking for, anyway?” This killer could come back and get us, if we’re not careful.” 

Tey rolled his eyes. “Where’s your adventure, anyway?” 

Doyeon sighed. “It’s here, but if I die, I’ll come back and kill you.” 

“Okay,” Tey was distracted, falling into the zone of investigating. He shined his flashlight around the graveyard, noticing that nothing else had been disturbed since the attacks on the mourners and loved ones. It was so quiet. 

He started to turn away and walk in the other direction, when something caught his eye. There was something lying on the ground. It could be another victim. He began to walk over to the still form, reluctantly followed by his partner. As they moved closer, he could see that it was a young man, sprawled out on the ground like a rag doll. Hurrying to the young man, Tey motioned for Doyeon to pull out his gun and cover him as he reached down and touched the man’s pulse. He had a weak pulse, and blood covering his clothing. Tey was tense as he began looking for injuries, noticing that there weren’t any. The young man seemed to be unscathed, despite the blood. 

“He’s alive and breathing, so let’s get him out of here,” Tey glanced at his partner, and in that same moment, he heard a sharp breath being inhaled as the young man sat up suddenly and stared at them. He looked afraid as he noticed the gun that was pointing at him and tried to jump to his feet. Tey grabbed the young man’s arm, pushing him back down to the ground. He looked frightened but also confused, his eyes wide and frightened. He struggled against Tey, but the police officer held him down firmly. “It’s okay. We’re here to help you, okay?” Tey attempted to reassure the young man, even though he was afraid, himself. The attacker could come back at any moment. 

Doyeon moved over to them slowly, keeping one hand on his now holstered gun. He glanced at Tey, who motioned for him to help them both up. The young man looked weak, despite not having any visible wounds. He wasn’t resisting Tey now, and let Doyeon pull him to his feet. However, as soon as he was on his feet, his he wobbled and passed out again. Sighing, Tey picked him up easily and began carrying him to their patrol car and laid him in the back seat carefully. The bars in between the front and back seats would protect them, if he decided to attack the two officers. 

 


 

When they pulled up to Doyeon’s apartment, they noticed that his boyfriend, Changjae, was home, so Doyeon left the car to explain everything to him. “We found this guy in the graveyard, while we were poking around for evidence.” He glanced at Tey. “I think he’s going home with Tey, though. Right?” He grinned at the younger officer. 

Tey shrugged, noticing that Changjae looked slightly irritated. “Um, yeah, I’ll take him home with me. Jin shouldn’t have a problem with him staying for a few days, while we figure out what happened.” He leaned out the window, smiling at Changjae. “It was my idea, so I’ll take him, okay?” 

Changjae grinned at him, shaking his head at his boyfriend. “If it was your idea, then it’s your problem to deal with. Just let us know how he does, and don’t hesitate to call, if you need help, okay?” 

Tey grinned back, knowing that this was what he should have expected from the other man. “Thanks. I had better get home, so Jin doesn’t start wondering what happened to me. Thanks, guys.” 

Doyeon grinned at him. “You’re welcome. It was kind of fun, actually. Be careful, dongsaeng. I’ll see you in the morning.” 

“Okay. You, too. Goodnight,” he replied, rolling up the window and glancing into the back seat. The young man was still unconscious, so Tey wanted to hurry home and check him over again. 

 


 

When he got home, Tey texted his housemate, Jin, letting him know about the situation. He was met by the other man, and they both walked to the back of the car carefully. Jin looked concerned as he touched the young man’s face carefully, expecting him to wake up. He was warm to the touch, which alarmed him. Jin was a paramedic, so he knew how to deal with injuries. He motioned for Tey to help him lift the young man out of the car carefully before they moved to the house and laid him on one of the beds. 

“He doesn’t seem injured, but that doesn’t mean much, when it comes to supernatural attacks.” Jin said, checking his pulse. It seemed okay, with the only obvious problem being the high temperature. “Well, I guess we’ll just wait until he wakes up and we can see what happens, right?”

Tey nodded. “I’ll stay with him until he wakes up again, okay? It’s going to be a long night.” 

“Okay. Thank you, Tey. Just be careful. We don’t know who he is,” Jin smiled at him. “Text or call me if he wakes up, alright?” Tey nodded to him, watching as Jin left the room. 

As soon as the paramedic was out of the room, Tey walked over to the young man carefully, studying his face. He was good looking, with slightly chubby cheeks and a delicate, chiseled jaw-line. Tey was very curious about why he had been in a graveyard, especially uninjured amongst all of the graves. He was surprise that they had found the young man alive, but something didn’t seem to quite add up. 

Watching the young man sleep, Tey leaned down to look at him again. “What’s your secret, gorgeous? Why’d you survive?” 

He placed a pair of handcuffs on the young man and leaned back on the bed. He needed to get some sleep, if he was going to be any good to his fellow officers in the morning. 

 


 

The next day, the department investigated the graveyard incident further. They found a few pieces of evidence, like more blood and odd scratches on the dirt around the graves. Tey glanced at Doyeon when they came to the spot where they had found the young man. The chief investigator was trying to figure out what had happened there, and he was saying something about the killer taking the victim away after killing them. Tey wasn’t going to tell him about the young man that was currently handcuffed to his bed. Thinking about the young man, he worried about when he woke up, unable to move. Tey made a mental note to go check on him when he went on lunch. He texted Jin, asking his roommate if he was home. He didn’t get a reply, so he guessed that the paramedic had gone to work.  

Tey worried through the rest of the morning’s work, thinking abut the young man and wondering who he was. He hoped that the pretty guy wouldn’t be too upset with him, but he didn’t hold out much hope for that. 

As soon as he was on his lunch break, he drove the patrol car home and stepped into the house. It was very quiet, which was a good sign, unless the guy was loose and about to ambush him. Tey sighed, keeping his revolver with him, just in case the guy wasn’t on the bed. 

Once he got to his bedroom, Tey noticed that the guy was still handcuffed, staring blankly at the wall. The investigator found it odd that he wasn’t struggling, but wasn’t complaining about it. Stepping over to the bed, he smiled at the young man. “Hi. I’m sorry I had to handcuff you. It’s just that I don’t know who you are and it was simply a precaution. You understand what I’m saying, don’t you?”

The young man continued to stare at the wall, unresponsive. Tey was beginning to think he may have drugs in his system, from his lack of reactions. The young man finally sighed, looking up at Tey. “I get it, okay? I also don’t really give a why I’m tied to this bed. You’re obviously a cop.” He was still staring at Tey coldly, which was a bit unnerving. There was silence for a moment, and Tey took advantage of it. 
 
“Yes, I’m an investigator.  My partner and I found you and brought you here,” Tey kept his emotions in check, despite his own nervousness. He didn’t know what the other man was capable of, or why he had been in a graveyard. “Do you have any idea what happened? We found you in a graveyard. There was blood surrounding you, but you didn’t have any wounds. I’m glad we found you alive. You’re lucky.”

The young man sighed, shaking his head. “I have no idea what happened. I remember arguing with my dad on the phone, driving to the store for some groceries, then returning to my car.” He stared at Tey again, confused. “Come to think of it, I don’t even remember getting into my car.” That’s the last thing I remember.” 

Tey cocked his head, frowning. “It sounds like someone may have drugged you and taken you to the graveyard, for some reason. They probably intended to kill you. What’s your name? I’m Tey.”

The young man still didn’t smile. “Thank you for getting me out of there. You saved my life, so I appreciate it. My name is Ryu. What do you think happened?” He glanced at Tey, shifting his arm uncomfortably. “You know, I’m not going to do anything. You don’t really need to keep me handcuffed. I already told you all I know about the situation, so…” He shook his head, looking at Tey expectantly. 

Tey considered the situation. The guy was practically evidence, and possibly a suspect. “Okay. I don’t think you would want to come down to the station with me, would you?” 

Ryu offered him a blank stare, unhappy. “No. I don’t know what happened, but I also don’t want to talk to the cops. No offense, but I don’t really get along with most police officers.” 

Tey sighed, nodding. “Okay. Well, will you let me take a blood sample at least? It could give us a clue into what happened.” 

Ryu shook his head. “I don’t think it’ll help you any, but whatever. Go ahead.” 

Tey nodded. “Thank you.” He reached for a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. Just when he was about to wipe Ryu’s vein, he remembered that the young man was still handcuffed. Laughing softly, Tey unlocked the restraints carefully. He noticed that Ryu was watching him as he did so, looking amused instead of wary now. “What?” 

Ryu shook his head. “Nothing. It just seems as if you’ve done this a lot. That’s all.” 

Tey rolled his eyes. “Yeah. I’m a cop, so I have done this a lot. I’ve dealt with many sets of handcuffs.” 

Ryu continued to watch him as he rubbed alcohol onto his arm, never flinching. “Do you always use them for work?” 

Tey grinned at him, seeing that the young man was playing with him. “Yes, because I’m pathetic like that. Seriously. I don’t use them for anything . There’s no reason to.” The investigator felt himself blushing as he spoke, hardly believing that he had admitted something as personal as his life to a stranger. “Relax, okay? I really don’t need you to be in this kind of mood.”  

Ryu chuckled, flinching as the needle was inserted into his arm. Tey began to draw the blood out, watching the other man’s face for any bad reactions. Pulling the needle out carefully, he smiled at Ryu. “Thank you. I hope we can find out what happened and solve it.” 

Ryu nodded. “Same here.” He was silent for a moment. “So…are you going to put the handcuffs back on me, so you can go back to work?” 

Tey closed his eyes, feeling his react to the words from the other man. He wasn’t entirely certain if the other man had meant them in a teasing way or not, but it had affected him anyway.  “Um…yeah. I mean, no! You don’t need to be handcuffed.” He was still blushing, so he turned away quickly. “I really do need to get back to work, though. I’ll see you in a while.” 

Ryu laughed again. “Maybe you should take a cold first.” 

Tey glared at him. “Shut up, you brat. I’m going to lock the door behind me. Stay here, okay?” 

Ryu’s grin widened, his sharp teeth shining white. “Okay. I’ll sleep some more and see you this afternoon.” 

Tey shook his head. The young man was getting under his skin. “Okay. Bye.” 

 


 

When Tey returned to the station, he received a text from Doyeon almost immediately. ‘How is he?’ 

Tey nodded and texted back, ‘He’s fine. Awake and cocky…’ 

‘Oh. Sounds fun. I wonder what happened.’ Tey laughed at his partner’s response. He was too nosy. 

‘I can handle him. We need to find out what happened, though. We could all be in danger, and the killer left him alone. It’s just odd…TTYL, hint, hint.’

Doyeon nodded, but didn’t reply after that. 

They went back to work investigating the attacks and victims. It was all strange, and Tey still wondered what had really happened. The attacker had only gone after the victims that had strange blood. Even though the department wouldn’t admit it, the victims all had powers, according to their autopsy reports. Tey was almost certain that Ryu had been a victim of the same attackers who had killed the others.  The real question was how he had survived it and WHY. Tey still didn’t want to mention it to the chief, since it had to do with powers. The department didn’t believe in powers, making excuses for the attacks, when Tey and Doyeon knew the truth. 

That evening, Tey got a text from Jin. ‘Hey, I won’t be able to make it home tonight, so you’re on your own with that guy you found. Be careful. Maybe you should invite Doyeon and Changjae over to keep you company and keep an eye on the guy.’ 

Tey frowned. It was typical of Jin to abandon him at night, leaving him to eat dinner alone. He really couldn’t blame him, since he worked long hours. 

Tey sighed, walking to his bedroom to change. He expected to find Ryu in his bedroom, and was alarmed when he didn’t see the young man. Cursing lightly, he walked to the restroom. The door was locked, so he knocked and heard a splash from the tub. Seconds later, the door opened and Ryu stood staring at him with a towel wrapped around his waist. Tey couldn’t help but notice that the younger man was very toned, even though he was thin. “I’m sorry. I was worried about you, but I can see that you’re fine. How are you feeling?”

Ryu grinned at him, and Tey was surprised at how easily the younger man was taking this entire situation. It was somewhat alarming, bringing Tey back to the attacks. What was his deal? 

Ryu laughed softly, ripping Tey out of his own thoughts. “I’m feeling okay, but curious about what happened. Did you get anything from the blood sample? I’m sorry to have taken up your restroom. I was dirty.” 

Tey shook his head. “No, you’re fine. You’re welcome to do whatever you want, as long as you aren’t a killer or something. To answer your question, I haven’t gotten a chance to hand in the blood sample, but will let you know if I find out anything.”

Ryu nodded, walking over to the sink to grab his clothes. Looking at them, he wrinkled his nose at the dirt and blood on them. “Um…I have my wallet, so do you mind if we go shopping? I need some more clothes.” 

Tey noticed that he had changed the subject from the case, but he was okay with that. He didn’t really want to discuss investigative matters with someone who was still a suspect. “Um, yeah. Let’s go get you some clothes. There’s a Wal-Mart down the street, so let’s go now. You can borrow some clothes. Here.” He walked into his bedroom, rummaging in the dresser drawers for something for the younger man to wear. He pulled out some clean jeans, a grey tee-shirt and underwear that he was lucky enough to have not worn yet. Handing the clothes to Ryu, he smiled. “You can wear these and we’ll go shopping.” He glanced at Ryu, his eyes landing on Ryu’s toned abs again. Taking a deep breath, he shut the door to give the young stranger some privacy. 

 


 

After shopping, Tey took Ryu out to eat. He hadn’t eaten since that morning, so he was very hungry. They talked while they ate, and Tey discovered that Ryu was a college sophomore majoring in theatre, and he was nineteen years old. He wasn’t in contact with his family, since they didn’t like his lifestyle of partying. He confided that the biggest reason was that he had told them he had a boyfriend, and they didn’t support him because of it. He became quiet when Tey asked him if he was still in a relationship. He told the young investigator that his boyfriend had broken up with him two months before. Tey nodded, adding that detail to his investigation plans. 

When they got home, Tey led him into the guest room. “You can stay here until we figure out something else, okay?” 

“Thanks,” Ryu smiled at him, setting the bags of clothes down on the carpeted floor. “I really appreciate you taking me out to get some clothes. Thank you for the food, also.” 

Tey nodded, smiling back. “No problem. Goodnight.” 

He left the room, walking to his own bedroom. As soon as he closed the door, he opened his computer and looked up the investigation. He had a lot to think about. Ryu had been taken to the graveyard AFTER being drugged, but Tey was wondering if the attacker had planned on returning to finish him off. He couldn’t see a reason that the young man would have been left alone, instead of killed. All of the other victims had been brutally murdered and their insides taken. Either the killer had eaten the insides or taken them for some other reason. It was still unclear, and Tey decided that it he needed to find out the real truth before the department got to it. Closing the computer, he got into his bed. There would be time for more investigating in the morning. Walking back into Ryu’s room, he left an extra phone, along with a note, telling the young man to use it, if he needed to. 

 


 

Early the next morning, Tey left for work, making sure that Ryu had plenty of food and drink for the day. He didn’t want to young man to drop dead on him or get sick, because the department would find out about him and Tey would surely get suspended or fired. He really didn’t need that, at the moment. He was on a tight budget, and had also worked too hard to get where he was. He didn’t want to throw it all away now. He also didn’t want anything bad to happen to Ryu. He seemed like a nice guy. 

The work day passed slowly, and he still hadn’t seen Jin. Tey found it strange, but not very alarming. He was a busy man, and had a lot to do, as a paramedic. While he was at work, Tey noticed that Doyeon been asking a lot of questions about Ryu. It was getting annoying, because his partner was getting on his nerves. He would end up getting him in trouble. 

When he was about to go home, Tey was stopped by Doyeon. “Hey, would you like to go back to the graveyard to look around? We may find something that’ll help Ryu.”

Tey was still annoyed with his partner, but agreed. “Okay. It could help all of us. Hey, do you know what they found from the blood test?” 

Doyeon shook his head. “No, I don’t. I’m sorry.” He grabbed his jacket, closing his locker. “Maybe we should go before it gets dark. It wasn’t very fun to snoop around in the dark…no offense.” 

Tey sighed. “Yeah, I agree.” He sent a text to Ryu, telling him that he would be home that night. He felt as if he could really trust the younger man, and he hoped he wouldn’t regret it. The young investigator felt something nagging at his conscience, but ignored it. He didn’t have a reason to worry. 

 


 

That evening, Tey and Doyeon drove to the graveyard, getting out carefully. They began looking around, just as they had before. He wondered why his partner wanted to investigate now, but the other day. Tey figured that Doyeon had to wait until it was his own idea.

 They walked through the graveyard, talking about the case and looking around for anything unusual. They didn’t find anything, and Tey was getting tired. At dusk, they were still looking around, and Doyeon suggested going back to the car. 

On their way back, Tey noticed something move over by one of the graves. When he looked over, he saw a man in a black trench coat. They watched as the man walked over to one of the graves and began digging. Tey noticed that the man’s fingernails had grown to long claws, aiding in his digging. He suddenly stopped digging, sniffing the air and looking up. Tey was surprised at the man’s glowing eyes. He was clearly inhuman. 

Tey glanced at Doyeon, who had already pulled out his gun, cocking it. The younger investigator did the same, making sure his gun was ready. He also pulled out his phone, texting Ryu. 

‘Stay home. Things aren’t good here. Don’t reply, either.’

He felt nervous as the man continued to dig. He seemed to be searching for something specific, but Tey wasn’t sure what it could be. As they watched, he began to chant, and many creatures started to appear out of the dirt from the grave. Tey glanced at Doyeon, terrified. This was far beyond what he had expected. They hid behind the car, staying out of sight as well as they could. Tey saw someone…or someTHING else walk up to the creature and speak in a low voice.

“The child is the key. We made a mistake by leaving him here. He will stop us if we don’t kill him.” Tey’s mouth dropped open as he recognized Jin’s voice. He certainly didn’t look like a paramedic now, with his glowing eyes and sharp claws. He wasn’t human, just like the other creature. 

Tey felt sick to his stomach as he realized that his friend and housemate was a monster. He needed to warn Ryu, because he would be in danger. As he pulled out his phone, he saw Jin turn and look straight at him. The paramedic’s eyes were glowing and now turning white from the glowing white. He began to walk in their direction, and Tey’s heart caught in his chest. 

Standing to his feet, he pulled out his gun and fired once. The bullet ripped through Jin’s shoulder, but he was undaunted. He continued to walk in their direction, and the humans stared, frozen in fear. When they were halfway to them, Tey saw something shoot from the shadows. A smoky formation swirled toward the Jin and the other creature, but before it could get to the creatures that had come out of the dirt, one of the dirt creatures rushed over to the humans and grabbed Doyeon. Before Tey could do anything, it began to strangle him. 

Tey shot at the creature, connecting on the creature’s arm. It shrieked, falling back. Doyeon gasped for air, looking at the creature. Tey shot it again, this time in the heart. It trembled and turned into a pile of dirt, falling to the ground. 

Tey held his gun up as he turned to Jin and his friend. They were fighting against a man in jeans and a tee-shirt. Tey was about to shout out as he recognized Ryu, but he noticed that the young man began glowing. His hands were outstretched as he shot a blast of power at the other creature, which exploded immediately, its remains scattering on the ground. 

Tey and Doyeon were busy fighting the other creatures and turning them to piles of dirt. They saw Ryu was joined by another creature like the ones he was fighting against, and he was shocked when he recognized that one, also. It was Changjae, but he was helping against the other creatures and they were winning. Jin now seemed to be afraid of them as he began to back away. Tey watched in amazement and horror as Ryu shot more power at Jin. Jin jumped out of the way, grabbing Changjae and using him as a shield.

 Doyeon raised his gun, getting ready to shoot. Tey pulled his hand down, shaking head. “It won’t work on him…it. We need to trust Ryu with this, if we want to help Changjae. I’m sorry.” The two humans watched as Jin looked straight at Ryu. “You weren’t supposed to remember any of this, Ryu. You were supposed to forget about the entire encounter and let me do my work. That was our deal.”

Ryu laughed bitter. “It’s funny that you believed me. You’re dumber than I ever thought possible, Jin. You thought that killing humans would be a good idea and would gain my trust. You forget that I trust humans. They’re better than you.” 

Jin shook his head. “You’re wrong, as is Changjae. You can’t trust humans. They are selfish bastards.” He moved his hand up higher on Changjae’s neck, teasing the other man. 

Ryu glared at him. “No, Jin. You’re the one who’s wrong. Human’s are better than us.” He shot another blast at Jin, who blocked it with Changjae. Doyeon screamed in terror as his lover was hit with a blast from Jin. Ryu backed off, and the blast split around Changjae. This reaction threw Jin off, and seconds later, he began to tremble and break to pieces around Changjae. Ryu rushed to the other man, catching him before he fell to the ground. They all watched as Jin’s body was reduced to ash and fell to the ground. 

Doyeon and Tey rushed to them, and Changjae looked at his lover. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t tell you that I am a demon. You would probably have left me. I’m not like Jin, though.” 

The demon was shaking, and Doyeon hugged him tightly. “It’s okay, babe. It’s over now.” He turned to Ryu, smiling. "Thank you. Why didn't Changjae die when Jin shot him?"

Ryu smiled at him. "I put a shield on him. That's why."

Tey glanced at them, smiling. He noticed that Ryu looked uncertain now. “I owe you an apology now. I’m sorry for not telling you what I am. Jin would have heard us and that would have blown everything. He couldn’t know that I had regained my memory, once the drug wore off. He tried to kill me, but failed. He’s dead now, though. We don’t have anything to worry about.” Ryu smiled at him, still looking uncertain. 

Tey shook his head. It all began to add up now. All of Jin’s late nights at the ‘hospital,’ the fishy answers about where he needed to go, that he couldn’t turn in Ryu’s results. He hadn’t wanted Tey to find out what Ryu really was. He had known this would happen, once Ryu regained his memory. Pulling Ryu into his arms, Tey kissed him lightly on the hair. “Thank you for saving us. I think I owe you more than just dinner.” 

Ryu looked confused. “You aren’t curious about what I am?” 

 

Tey grinned, shaking his head. “Maybe later. Right now, I just want to take you home, where you’ll be safe. Let’s go.”