Coffee Shop.

Coffee Shop

Day 63

 

“You don't even like coffee,” Kibum stared at the customer before him with an annoyed look on his face, “get out of here, would you?”

 

“Kibum, please,” he whined, leaning forward on counter, and using those muscular arms of his to prop himself up, “I just want the coffee, and then I'll go, yeah?”

 

Said man rolled his eyes and leaned forward as well, his green apron folding and wrinkling as he bent over to look the customer in the eye, “You come here everyday and ask for a coffee. I know you don't like coffee. You did a presentation on the negative effects of it in class two months ago. We had a little debate about it, remember?”

 

The man opposite to him hummed and raised a brow, “and what if the coffee isn't for me? I bet you'd feel like an about questioning me all the time, wouldn't you?”

 

Kibum scoffed and stood straight again, punching in the order his daily visitor would always order, and pointed to the other counter where his drink would come out as he helped the next person in line.

 

“Kibum can you make his drink? I have to take my break now, or I'll starve to death,” one of the other employees called, to which Kibum called back to confirm that he would. He finished punching in the order of the next customer, and walked over to make the drinks. The store was quite empty at this hour, and it was only those two customers, and a handful of others. It was quite nice like this. The music could be heard more clearly, and the songs happened to be his favourites. He could read a magazine at the counter while waiting for more customers to come in, and overall had a relaxing time.

 

He looked up from the drink he was working on to see his regular customer looking at him with a crooked smile, and he rolled his eyes, writing 'Jonghyun' on his cup before placing it on the counter.

 

***

Day 71

 

Kibum was on his break and flipping lazily through some magazine again when a figure slid into the seat across from him. The blonde looked up in confusion to see his classmate once again here to bother him, looking at him with that same crooked smile. He sighed and took a sip of his coffee before raising a brow, “What are you doing here? I'm on break, can't you tell?”

 

Jonghyun held up his notebook and pen, and shrugged, “I figured this would be a good place to work. I like the atmosphere.”

 

“That's cool, and all, but wouldn't you rather sit somewhere else? I mean, I know how some people like their alone time..” Kibum stared at him straight in the eye, hoping he'd understand what he meant by his hinting.

 

“Oh, I get it. I'm interrupting you,” The brunette nodded in understanding, but didn't make to move quite yet, “Say, your break should be over by now shouldn't it?”

 

Kibum narrowed his eyes, and looked over Jonghyun, “And just how long have you been watching me?”

 

He shrugged and smiled before getting up, “I'm just saying, I think they could use your help soon, Kibum.”

 

Kibum scoffed at the casual use of his name, and watched him leave, calling after him, “Don't address me so casually, Jonghyun ssi,” He emphasized the honorific to show where he had gone wrong, and huffed as the only reply he got was a laugh.

 

Only after he left did Kibum realize that Jonghyun hadn't left with a coffee that day.

 

***

Day 72

 

“You!” The blonde in the green apron pointed to the boy just then walking into the shop, “You didn't get a coffee yesterday!”

 

Jonghyun looked at him puzzledly as he walked up to the counter, and looked at his determined expression, “How do you know that? You were on break while I was here.”

 

“You didn't leave with a coffee yesterday. You always get a coffee!” Kibum was determined to get to the bottom of this. He did not serve some ungrateful coffee hating punk everyday for him to just leave empty handed.

 

“Maybe I got one before, and drank it before I left,” Jonghyun raised a brow, waiting for the employee to reply.

 

“No, you didn't! I checked the records. There were none that prove your statement. You have no alibi,” with both hands on his hips, the blonde stared expectantly across the counter, “What gives?”

 

“I just wasn't in the mood for a coffee yesterday, what's the big deal?” His brows furrowed in confusion as the other boy shook his head.

 

“Why would you come to a coffee shop to work if you didn't want a coffee too? Especially when you get one every day?” He challenged.

 

“I told you, I like the atmosphere,” Jonghyun looked over the small shop as if to further prove his point before looking at Kibum telling him to give it up with his eyes.

 

“Mhm. I'm on to you. There's something really fishy about all of this, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it.” With that, he punched in the order he knew too well, and walked over to make his drink, as he was working alone that hour.

 

“Hey, why do you work everyday? For a student who's doing so well academically, you sure do spend a lot of time not doing school work,” Jonghyun asked curiously as he waited for his drink.

 

“My dad owns the place, but what's it to you?” The employee answered, writing down quickly on the cup before setting it on the counter and getting back to take another order.

 

Jonghyun chuckled quietly to himself as he looked at the cup. In place of his name were the words, 'Sneaky Bastard'.

 

***

 

Day 99

 

Jonghyun walked into the shop one day feeling super pumped, and anxious. He strode right to the counter where an unfamiliar worker was standing, and smiled at her sweetly. She returned the smile and politely asked for his order.

 

“I'd like one of your Valentine's special drinks please. For Kim Kibum.” Jonghyun smiled, and paid for the drink before quickly leaving the shop with one last peak at the blonde with the green apron, who had his feet up on a chair as he flipped through his magazine at the same lazy pace as always. Jonghyun watched through the window as he raised his head at the sound of his name. He looked around the shop to see if anyone else was going to get it, and got up, taking the drink. Jonghyun felt his heart flutter at the soft smile Kibum had as he realized that someone else had bought him a coffee, but quickly felt his heart skip a beat as their eyes locked through the window as the blonde had tried looking for who had bought it for him.

 

Jonghyun gave him a short wave before spinning on his heels and walking away quickly.

 

Kibum could only sip his coffee with that delighted smile of his as he walked back to his seat, the magazine suddenly uninteresting as he stared out the window.

 

***

 

Day 100

 

When Jonghyun walked into the shop the next day, he found it to be quite calm, and empty. There were only a few other people around, sipping their coffees, and doing work or reading. He stepped up to the counter, smiling as the blonde before him looked up to lock eyes with him.

 

“Have you been coming here everyday for me?” Kibum asked bluntly.

 

“Yes, yes I have,” Jonghyun replied with no hesitation, leaning forward with his chin in his hand, “what do you think about that?”

 

The blonde smiled gently, and shoved his hands in the pockets of his apron, “I think that's adorable, and that you spent way too much money on coffee for it.”

 

The brunette shook his head and chuckled, “I think I've started to like coffee now.”

 

“Well, what can I get for you?” Kibum asked teasingly, already reaching for the screen to punch in his order, when Jonghyun stopped him with his words.

 

“I'll have a water, please.”

 

Everyone in the shop was startled except for Jonghyun as Kibum burst out into laughter.

 

Author's Note: Hehe. This could be a bit stalkerish too, depending on how you look at it.