Chapter 2: Rise

The Golden Cliff
Please log in to read the full chapter

I remember clearly that day. The day I met... him. Remembering it now, I wished I wouldn’t have listened to my instinct back than. But what choice did I have? What would have changed? Nothing. One day I would probably feel the same as I do now. My story would end the same.

 

It was summer, my favorite season. I love it, because everything seemed so much more lively. Including my sisters and brothers. Humans would cross our ways again, we could hunt again. We can feel it in our bones, the huge need to see them die in front of us, the need to sing our songs to them, lure them to us, killing them. Slowly, it would happen. Slowly, our hunger would be satisfied.

 

Slowly, it hurt...

 

I woke up this morning like everyone did. Opening my eyes slowly to greet the blinding morning sun. Its rays my still sleeping wings that looked so much like them. They were shining in happiness for the first time since winter and spring said goodbye. And I knew it was time again. Even they knew it was time again to lift up into salty air.

 

So I did just that, listening to my instincts to fly. Spreading feathered gold, breathing deep, eyes closed. I enjoyed the weather, the calm movements of the meadows colorful flowers and green grass at my feet before I jump.

Please log in to read the full chapter