Chapter Three

My Little Girl

The third day was bright and sunny. It gave hope to Yongguk and his wife. But sometimes hope was never enough. Sometimes, hope was meant to be crushed just like dreams. The sun wasn’t the only thing that greeted them on that day. The doctor had been waiting patiently for the coupe to wake up. And when they did, they entered a nightmare.

“The surgery wasn’t a success. She has a few hours left. I think it’s best to say your farewells now if you already haven’t.”

Things were a big blur. Yongguk’s wife shared a tearful goodbye with just her and her daughter. She Younghae’s pale face with her finger and she tried so hard to stay strong. She didn’t want to let go of her precious little miracle. She spent a few minutes with Younghae, spending quality mother-daughter time together seeing as how they couldn’t do it in the future.

Yongguk waited outside of the room and planned what he would tell his little princess. But his mind was blank. No father wanted to part from his daughter. How was he going to let go? How was he going to go on in life? He had nothing planned. His heart would spill everything for him. When his wife stumbled out, he sat caught her in his arms and led her back into the room. If Yonghae was going to leave, her mother needed to be there. So, he sat her down so that she wouldn’t faint before he made his way to the open incubator.

His heart felt heavy just like his whole body. Tears formed in his eyes as he stared down at his little Younghae. He didn’t waste a second and carefully picked her up into his arms. He looked down at her and saw her struggle to breath.

“Younghae. Bang Younghae. My little angel. My little miracle. My mother once told me that all people die. Some earlier than others. But I never expected for my little baby to say goodbye after three days of coming into this world. I can’t imagine how hard it must have been for you. I can’t help but wonder how much you were hurting.

I don’t know if you ever heard me when you were in your mommy’s tummy but I love you so, so much. I couldn’t wait to see you. I sang to you. I read you books. I kissed you. I hugged you. I fed you. And while I did all of that, I wondered what you would be like once you came into this world. When you were finally born, I held you and looked right at you. I saw your future. It was bright and happy. I hoped that you would be able to do everything I envisioned. But I know that you can live a much happier life in Heaven.

Baby, I want you to promise me that you’ll be healthier and happier. That you’ll remember everyone. That you’ll remember just how much your mother and I love you. And that you’ll wait for us up in Heaven. Just promise me that.”

Yongguk’s tears dripped down his face onto the shiny floor. He could feel her slipping away faster and faster as his broke at a faster pace.

“Younghae, I love you so, so much. I love you more than anything and everything. You’ll always be my little girl. I’ll see you in Heaven.”

Yongguk kissed the top of Younghae’s head as his wife gripped his arms from behind. And with tears streaming down their faces, they watched their little Younghae take her last breath. Yongguk just held the infant in his arms as the doctors began to strip away the wires. And when they were all gone, he saw just how beautiful his little girl was.