Connected

Soul Mates

He was not dreaming – that he knew when that morning his brother decided to wake him up by drenching him with a pail of water. But why the hell was a bright red string tied to his pinky?

“Yah Myungsoo! What the hell did you do to me now?” he shouted at his brother who was innocently eating his bowl of cereal. Myungsoo only blinked at him and went back to his breakfast.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about hyung, the only thing I did to you today was the wake-up call.” Now this seemed to anger the brunette more.

“Then how would you explain this?” he pointed at his pinky where the string was still tied and shoved it in front of his brother’s face. ”What kind of thread did you use anyway? Whatever I do it won’t cut.”

Myungsoo stared in confusion at his pinky before glancing back at his face. “What thread do you mean,hyung? I don’t see anything aside from your pinky.” Sunggyu gaped at him.

“You mean you don’t see this?” ‘This’ was emphasized as he shook his pinky and even took hold of the thread. Myungsoo stared at him like he had just gone crazy and shook his head before bringing his empty bowl on the sink and left back to his room.

Sunggyu was left standing in the middle of their dining room staring in confusion at the string.

Was he the only one who could see it?

-

The moment the bell rang for lunch, Sunggyu bolted out of his classroom and ignored the different cries of his name from his friends.

The string really bothered him since this morning and he decided to research about it – we may never know, it might have been something serious like the string is his remaining life-span and the reason why he could now see it because the time of his death is already near. (He has a very active imagination, okay? Don’t judge him…)

And he almost wished that was the case instead of what he found, at least it’s much more believable. (Not really)

Apparently it was a myth in Ancient China, where a red string that connects you to your soul mate is tied to your ankles. It was later adapted by the Japanese, only theirs the red string is tied to the pinky – which seems to be his case.

“So you’re supposed to lead me to my soul mate?” Sunggyu muttered as he once again stared at the string in a daze, tugging at it experimentally and unconsciously hopping the person on the other end would feel the tugs and would look for him.

A minute of this he returned back to his senses and immediately reddens at his ridiculous thought, snapping the book he was earlier reading close and returned it to its shelf.

After bidding the librarian goodbye and stepping out of the library, a conversation halted him in his steps and made his heart beat faster than normal.

“Hey, why did you stop earlier? You almost made me crash to you and I’m bringing a load of books!”

“Sorry about that, I just felt like someone was tugging on my pinky.”

“Could it have been a ghost? You know our school also has its fair share of creepy stories.”

“Stupid! You know I don’t believe in that nonsense.”

He snapped back (What the hell is wrong with you Kim Sunggyu? When did you become this absent minded?)when he realized the voices where becoming softer and softer and when he turned to where the conversation seemed to have come from, only the sight of students hurrying back to their respective classrooms greeted him, the two talking persons already gone.

Disappointment settled on his stomach along with excitement because his soul mate was in the same school as him and it was only a matter of time until Sunggyu would officially meet him (because the deep melodious voice couldn’t have belonged to a female, right?)

So with that thought, he walked back to his classroom with a light skip to his steps.

-

For the next coming days, it became Sunggyu’s habit to always tug on the string.

-

It wasn’t until a week later when he heard – the somewhat – familiar conversation again.

It was early morning and he was on his locker, readying the things that he would need for that day when the familiar deep melodious voice floated on his ears.

“This week has been really weird, you know? I have been feeling the pinky tugging the whole time!”

“We talked about this man; it must have been your imagination.”

“But I swear it’s not!” Sunggyu widen his eyes and his hand immediately flew to the string and tugged on it. He heard a rather manly squeak came from the familiar voice and a smile bloomed on Sunggyu’s face, looks like he really found him now.

“It was tugged again! Myung you’ve got to help me, what if it’s really a ghost that had been doing it all this time?” Myung?Myung as in Myungsoo? Sunggyu widen his eyes in shock (again), making his head snap towards where he heard the two voices just to confirm if the ‘Myung’ his soul mate was talking about was indeed his brother, ultimately missing whatever follow-up conversation the two had.

But the face of the said brother up close was what greeted him instead, a smile painted in his pink lips as he looked at Sunggyu pleadingly. He frantically looked behind Myungsoo and sighed in disappointment again when he saw the string was already stretched to who knows where, a sure sign his soul mate was somewhere far again.

“Hyung… I forgot to bring my Scientific Calculator and I’ll be having a test in Physics later. Can I borrow yours?” Sunggyu loved his brother, he really did. But it was times like this that he wished the devil’s spawn would be dragged back to where he – rightfully, mind you – belonged.

Too bad Sunggyu was as very responsible brother and, not to mention, he really did love his younger brother so instead of the long list of insults and curses he would very much like to throw at Myungsoo’s handsome face (Why the hell is he so handsome, anyway? Their parents had normal looking faces and even Sunggyu himself has a pretty normal one.), he only released a long and suffering sigh before handing his calculator at Myungsoo.

“Thanks, hyung!” his brother exclaimed before running to who knows where, having no idea his hyung was getting depressed and mopey back in front of his locker all because of him.

But it didn’t take more than a minute for Sunggyu to get his spirit up because he’s that optimistic this means his soul mate is closer to him than he had originally thought!

So with those happy thoughts, he went to his classroom with a wide cute smile on his face, scaring his close friends with his unnaturally cheery mood (He usually was out of it on mornings.)

-

It wasn’t until the middle of his first period when he remembered he needed to confirm if the ‘Myung’ his soul mate was talking to was indeed his brother.

-

“Hey Myung? Can I ask a question?” they were in the middle of dinner when he finally managed to gather the courage to ask the million dollar question. Truth to be told he has been delaying it, the fast thumping in his heart of out nervousness always getting in the way and in turn just makes it really awkward for him.

Myungsoo chuckled at him and stared at him amusedly. “Aren’t asking one already?” he was replied with a smack on the head.

“Stupid!” Sunggyu glared, the raven only pouted at him (ugly) and rubbed the stop he hit. “Can you be serious?”

Myungsoo sighed before begrudgingly nods. “Okay, okay, serious Myungsoo coming through.” The raven sat straight and placed both his hands on top of the table before looking at him calmly. “How may I help you Kim Sunggyu-shii?”

Sunggyu only rolled his eyes before muttering another ‘stupid’ under his breath and decided to ignore his brother’s antics.

And damn! His nervousness was back again.

“Say… do you have a friend?” he mentally winced at the stupid question. What the hell Kim Sunggyu?

But like the younger exclaimed earlier, his expression remained neutral as he calmly nodded at him. “Don’t we all have friends, Kim Sunggyu-shii?”

Sunggyu was this close to throwing his fork at his annoying brother, but the fact that he may know something about his soul mate holds him back.

“That’s not what I mean!” Sunggyu groaned. Myungsoo only stared at him calmly and this annoyed the older more, glaring hard at the younger before throwing something at him (it was probably the bone of the chicken he was eating).

“Stop it, serious Myungsoo is annoying me.” Myungsoo heaved a huge sigh of relief before slumping on his seat, cheeks rested on the table as he looked at Sunggyu.

“Thank God, it’s really tiring to be serious all the time you know?” Sunggyu ignored the other as he tried to think of ways on how to ask the other without being too oblivious or suspicious.

Not that he’s doing a good job at it; subtlety had always been his weak point (eg. The friends he creeped out because of his sudden change in attitude the last few days.)

“Just tell me what you want, hyung. Stop beating around the bush.” Sunggyu sighed, finding no other way around this than to be straight forward.

“Remember earlier at the lockers? Did you have someone with you at that time?” Myungsoo scrunched his eyebrows in confusion at him.

“Yeah I did. We even had that embarrassing conversation about the pinky tugging and-“

“SO IT WAS YOU GUYS!” Sunggyu exclaimed excitedly. Oh God, oh God, he was happy beyond imagination about finally finding out the mysterious identity of the person who is tied to the other side of his string.

Myungsoo let out a groan full of pain as he covered his face with his hands, rubbing at them in frustration. “Oh God you heard about that? I swear hyung he’s not usually that crazy, it was just most probably because of some stuff-“

“Whatever the reason is I don’t care, okay? Now tell me who that person is.” Myungsoo only stared at him funnily.

“Hyung… have you already forgotten about the person I am always with?” Sunggyu blinked at him.

“Huh?”

“, to think he was right, you really forgot him? I don’t know whether to laugh at you or feel pity for him.” Now this just made the older more confused.

“What the hell do you mean, Myung?”

“I was with Woohyun on that day, hyung. You know? My longtime friend, Nam Woohyun?”

-

Nam Woohyun. Another ridiculously handsome and charming individual that had been Myungsoo’s friend since the other entered middle school. He was also the guy Sunggyu avoided at all cost because the other was an athlete. And the poor hamster with the old frail body avoided athletes like a plague (the only athlete he ever talked to was Howon and then again, the other was Dongwoo’s boyfriend and Dongwoo was Sunggyu’s best friend so he really had no choice.)

But now that he mentioned it, why didn’t he think of him in the first place?

Myungsoo was wrong, he never forgot about Woohyun – he just slipped out of his mind because he never really found any reason to keep in contact with him, and they had never been close anyway.To be honest the both of them never had a conversation yet, and that seemed to be the greater reason on why until now Sunggyu hadn’t been able to seek the other yet, feeling very scared at whatever reaction the other may have with him suddenly acting all friendly and striking up a conversation after years of trying to avoid him.

But everything has to start at somewhere right? Plus Sunggyu isn’t even sure if Woohyun is really his soul mate, he can never really call those conversations as a sold proof until he would see the string tied to the other’s pinky.

And yet again there was something blocking Sunggyu’s path. When will this ever end?

-

It was another week after the revelation when Sunggyu finally met Woohyun again. It was during lunch break when Sunggyu was cooped up on the library studying for the upcoming midterms.Woohyun was actually the one who approached him first to be more precise.

“Hyung,” a voice that made Sunggyu’s heart stop beating floated on his ears and he immediately snapped his head up towards where Woohyun was standing in front of him. His breath hitched even more when he saw a red string that was connected to his tied to his pinky.

Now there was no doubts Nam Woohyun really is his soul mate.

“Yeah?” he managed to croak, wincing a little bit by how his voice cracked badly. But it only managed to rip a chuckle out of the younger one.

“Can I sit here? All of the tables and chairs had been taken.” Sunggyu looked around them and true enough, the whole library was packed and the only place left unoccupied was the one in front of him (he was sitting on a table fit for two persons only)

Against his better judgment, he couldn’t help the rise in his eyebrows as he stared at the younger judgingly. “Why do you need to ask? It’s a public place right? It’s not like a own this table or anything.” Nice going, Gyu. Now the other is going to think that you are some that has issues with him – well, more than he thinks already.

Fortunately, the other only smiled at him in thanks (which most definitely didn’t make his heart race faster, nope it didn’t) and took the seat opposite of him, placing his books on top of the table and opened the calculus one.

“It just looked like this was your table since I noticed you were always sitting here.” This made Sunggyu snap his head back to the other as he looked at him in amusement.

“Is it just me or does your words imply you have been watching me?”

Woohyun paused for a second before lifting his gaze up from his book and meeting Sunggyu’s ones, a beautiful smile slowly blooming on his face. “It really can’t be helped, hyung. How can I not notice when I see you here almost every day?”

“Perchance, do you like me in that way Woohyun-ah?” Sunggyu didn’t know what pushed him to say it, but he immediately wanted the whole ground to swallow him whole and never to spit him out because of it. Especially since Woohyun looked as equally stunned as him.

He expected a loud laugh and then a string of teases or curses as the other’s reaction but never this. The other was (cutely) biting on his lower lip as he shyly gazed at the older with a guilty look in his eyes – almost like Sunggyu really did hit the nail in the head. And it wasn’t helping with rapidly growing hotness on the older’s face along with his heart.

This was the first time they had met on this circumstance but damn the younger for being able to work him up effortlessly.

Sunggyu could only lower his head back to his books in embarrassment as he tried to calm the racing horses in his heart. But it looks like fate has decided to make sure his heart never stops beating fast because not a minute after, the other slip a piece of paper with a number written on it on top of his paper.

“How does coffee after the exams sound?” Sunggyu could feel the awkwardness and nervousness seeping from that sentence and he subtly peeked over his lashes to observe the other. Who knows? He might be faking all of this. But the other’s fidgety figure and the light blush on his face convinced Sunggyu this wasn’t a dream and Woohyun wasn’t ing him.

Sunggyu stared squarely at Woohyun’s eyes before shyly nodding, another bright blush dusting on his cheeks.

The bright smile that bloomed on Woohyun’s face was enough to vanquish all worries Sunggyu had on his mind and he couldn’t help but return the other’s smile, finding himself already looking forward to the coffee.

-

Midterms week passed like a blur of headaches and all-nighters and before Sunggyu noticed, he was already preparing for his date (can it be called that?) with Woohyun for this afternoon.

After their meeting at the library, the two kept in touch and were constantly sending each other text messages, discovering something new about the other that they haven’t known yet (more so for Sunggyu). And just last night Woohyun sent a text expressing how he can’t wait for the coffee, Sunggyu wanted to say he was too but something was holding him back – making reply a bland ‘yes’ and earned countless of pout emoticons (the younger had an extensive collection, he realized, and also abused it to no end) and whines from the other.

“Excited for your date, hyung?” Myungsoo teased from his opened door and he resisted the urge to throw a brush at that ing smirk.

“It’s not a date; we’re just going out for coffee.” He instead corrected, getting more annoyed by the growing smirk.

“Sure, hyung… whatever you say. But I do remember Woohyun calling it a date, was he wrong?” Sunggyu had to constantly remind himself that killing is a crime especially if that someone is a family member, but he couldn’t really resist chucking his brush at the bastard – seething even more when the other evaded it with a laugh as he waved in good bye at him.

“Don’t let yourself get ed on the first date.” The knife was becoming really tempting now.

“Don’t worry , I’m not easy unlike you! And remember, don’t let any stranger’s inside the house!” he shouted on the last minute before shutting the door close and walked towards the bus stop, ignoring whatever reply Myungsoo said.

-

He had arrived at the place minutes ago; he just didn’t have the courage to go in – which ultimately leads him to his current predicament of standing on the street opposite of the coffee shop where he was supposed to meet the younger. And speaking the younger, the other was already inside the shop, seating at the table nearest to the glass walls and face pasted on his phone (the other had gotten addicted to Candy Crush these days).

If this was in a normal setting, Sunggyu would definitely question why someone as handsome as Woohyun would like someone was plain as him. But considering this was not a normal setting, the bright red string tied to their pinks and connected them proving it otherwise, Sunggyu could only thank whoever is up there for picking someone like Woohyun for him.

When he was finally done boosting his self-esteem and was ready to cross the street, a huge truck passed down on the street and to Sunggyu’s horror, he felt and saw the string being caught and was stretched and stretched until it ultimately disappeared, making him rooted on his spot in shock.

A buzzing indicated that someone was trying to call his phone and when he checked the caller ID, Woohyun’s name appeared. Without bothering to answer it, he lifted his gaze towards a worried Woohyun and it made him feel more miserable. Surely Woohyun felt the strong pull just now.

And against his better judgment, he ran far away from the scene. Knowing well Woohyun must have run after him but never really had the courage to look behind him.

He felt bad, really, really, bad about what happened earlier. It was his fault on why the string was cut, if he had immediately entered the shop instead of dilly-dallying on the other side of the street, and then he would have avoided the truck and ultimately avoided having to let their string cut.

He really cursed his weak body because it makes it harder for him to run away, especially away from Woohyun who was an athlete and it was also because of that that the other managed t catch up to him in no time.

“Hyung!” Woohyun grabbed Sunggyu’s arm and made him turn to him. “What was that about? Why did you run away?” and it was those warm worried eyes that made Sunggyu loose it all and he grabbed tightly at Woohyun’s arms.

“I’m sorry Hyun, I’m really, really sorry for breaking our string.” He cried with desperation. Woohyun only stared at him in confusion and scrunched his face up.

“What do you mean by string, hyung?” Sunggyu only shock his head at him and stared at the ground.

Woohyun’s featured softened as he took Sunggyu’s face on his hands and slowly brought ii up to look at him. “Hey, I don’t know what you are talking about but if it’s about the date we are having right now then please rest assured that no one forced me to this, it was because I like you, hyung. That’s why I asked for this. So stop giving that heart wrenching expression, okay?” the other fondly smiled at him.

Sunggyu couldn’t help the different emotions threatening to burst on his chest so he just settled on hugging the younger tight and whispered an ‘I like you too.’ To the other’s ears. He was replied with a soft kiss to his temple as the younger led him back to the coffee shop.

-

Sunggyu and Woohyun were already ready to order when the waitress arrived at their table and something that made them both pause.

“You’re string is really cute!” the waitress giggled as she pointed at both of their pinks. Woohyun could only stare at her in both exasperation and confusion while Sunggyu couldn’t help the wide relieved smile on his face.

Looks like he and Woohyun are still connected even though he can no longer see the string, and that’s all that matters really.


A/N: Ugh, months of Rp-ing and not writing has made my writing skills (Well, more than it already was anyway).And I have a feeling my writing style drastically changed… I think?Cuz seriously, I think I murdered Sunggyu here haha XD

I was supposed to post this up much earlier but due to circumstances (Well, my laptop crashing for one) wasn’t able to. Hope you liked this and please tell me what you think *^^*

PS: What story do you want me to make next? I like all of the plots too much I can’t choose XD