Final

My Best Friend's Brother

Never in my life did I think I would be stuck in this situation.

 

It was the typical 'I have a crush on my best friend's brother' situation. My best friend, No Eunbin, and her absolutely smoking hot brother, No Minwoo, were two charming siblings who were very close to each other. I hang out with Eunbin a lot, and I have seen Minwoo and his 'gang', Boyfriend, around before. No kidding about the group name. They're so sweet they actually do resemble boyfriends. Grandpa Donghyun, caring Hyunseong, smiley Jeongmin, charming twins Youngmin and Kwangmin and last but definitely not least, the handsome maknae, Minwoo. Something attracted me to Minwoo since the first time I saw him; maybe it was his looks or his body. I still remember the first time I met him.

----

2 years ago:
"Yah oppa, I hope you have some clothes on! I have a friend over!" Eunbin hollered as she entered the house. I was visiting her house for the first time since we were having a sleepover so I was amazed by some paintings held in the doorway. Then I stepped onto the wooden platform in my black high-tops to look around the living room. It was simply beautiful. It wasn't very big, so it had a nice, cozy feeling to it but it wasn't cramped either. Eunbin had tossed her bag onto one of the solo beanbags next to the main couch and I placed mine next to her. I found her in the kitchen.


"Hey, so what do you want?" Eunbin asked, probably referring to drinks or snacks. I replied that water was fine and looked at her through the doorway. Even her kitchen looked organized. She came out of the kitchen with a tray of snacks and two glasses of water, carefully balanced on one hand. "Don't I look stylish or what?" She stated, smug as she posed dramatically like a model-like waitress. I laughed and helped her take her bag as we made our way to her bedroom. We made it halfway up the stairs when I started hearing the cool music.


"Ooh, what's that?" I asked, my dancer instincts kicking in. The music had a fun beat to it, and I would have started bouncing along if I wasn't carrying two bags. Eunbin just shrugged, saying it's her brother and the gang dancing. Apparently, they were a group of friends who can dance, sing and rap. I grew interested and asked if we could go take a look. We made our way to the third floor where there were 2 rooms. Both doors were closed, but the music was blasting from one. We took a peek as we opened the door a fraction. The room was like a dance studio, mirrors covering 3 walls of the room. 6 boys were dancing to a beat. Every few beats they would clap in synchronization and I was entertained by it.

 

It soon ended, to my dismay, and Eunbin pushed the door open. "Wah, daebak!" She started clapping profusely and I noticed her eyes kept trailing towards a certain boy. Did she like him? I pushed that thought aside as my eyes settled on one of them. His sweat made his white tank top stick to his skin and his abs was clearly visible. I tore my eyes away from him when Eunbin made introductions. They smiled back and greeted me warmly as if I were one of them. Minwoo was his name. Then I saw the connection. Oh, so he was her brother.


Eunbin walked over to a basket and pulled out 6 bottles of water and towels. With skill, she threw them to each one of them - each saying their thanks as they caught it swiftly - and slumped down next to her brother as they were all in a circle. She patted the spot next to her encouragingly and I carefully took a seat. All tired after the dancing, they were sweating a lot and Eunbin casually wipes at her brother's sweat. The other members started whining and she chuckled as she went around wiping their sweat. The last member was Jeongmin - that was his name right? - she looked a little nervous as she wiped the sweat off his neck.


I smirked. Aha, No Eunbin, she had some explaining to do. My thoughts were interrupted as Donghyun started asking me, "So you girls gonna do something or wanna join us?" I never reject dancing, but I still looked at Eunbin to see if she was ok with it. She shrugged. I brightened up. They sat up against the back of the room as I plugged in my iPod to the speakers. Beyoncé's Partition started playing, and I planned to dance Kyle Hanagami's choreography. I ed the green and black checkered shirt I was wearing, which revealed my white tank top, then bunched and tied it a little above my stomach so it was revealed. I rolled up my sleeves and got into position and the song started playing. I performed it perfectly - if I do say so myself - since I have been practicing this song for a long time now. It ended and I got out of the reverie I always end up in when I'm dancing. Eunbin and the boys cheered loudly but my eyes kept trailing over to Minwoo. Did he enjoy my performance?


I then grew incredibly self-conscious and buttoned back my shirt but left it rolled up. "Woah, Jaemi, do you dance?" Donghyun asked. I only smiled. Dancing has always been my hobby but I was still considering whether to join competitions. They looked impressed, even Minwoo.


Eunbin sat up, as if remembering what we were here for in the first place. "Yah, you guys gonna finish by 5? Jaemi and I were planning to dance a bit before we head off for dinner," Eunbin said.


Minwoo then spoke up. "Oh, you're lucky Jaemi came today. We were planning to lock you up here to starve while we head out for dinner," he cackled. I was dazed at the way he pronounced my name, so effortlessly, so smoothly. I snapped back to reality when Eunbin scowled and leant forward to hit her brother, who dodged and laughed. The others just chuckled at the siblings' closeness. After bidding goodbye to the boys, the two of us walked back down to her room to do some girl stuff.


"Your brother and his gang seems cool," I casually commented, hoping she would ignore the hint of interest apparent in my voice. I should have known better though. Eunbin was always as sharp as an eagle, and she swooped down on me like I was her prey.


"You like one of them, don't you?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows.
When I didn't answer, she started thinking on her own. "Donghyun oppa maybe? Hmm, he does look a little too grandfatherly though. Or maybe Hyunseong oppa. His muscles look good. Or is it one of the twins?" She babbled, and I did not miss the fact that she left out her brother and most likely her crush - Jeongmin. I smirked.


"Or… maybe it's Jeongmin? His features are quite the charmer," I said, using her same tone. I caught her horrified look. "Oh, right, I'm sorry. He's your crush. Oh wait again, I don't know that. BECAUSE SOMEBODY DIDNT TELL ME!" I exclaimed, looking at her with am annoyed expression. She looked down guiltily, fiddling with her fingers. She only does that when she's nervous. I pulled her down onto the bed with me and said, "I'm waiting."


Eunbin hesitated, but soon enough, she spilled her whole one-sided crush story that happened for a few years already - "He never looked at me like a girl!" - and when it ended, she was near to tears. I rubbed her back soothingly. She just pouted and wiped away the remaining tears. "You know, if you had told me earlier, this wouldn't have been happening," I reminded her. She replied with a miserable 'I know, I'm sorry' and buried her face into her pillow. I sighed and laid my head onto her shoulder. I made a decision to matchmake them together.


She cheered up after a while and we did what we usually did together: flip through fashion magazines and say which pieces of clothing fitted who, talk about anything and even did our nails together.


Right on 5, Minwoo knocked on her door. "Girls? You gonna use the studio right?" Eunbin shouted back yes and we packed up so we could head to the studio. Minwoo had changed out of his sweat-drenched singlet to a normal black tee, and I was regretful I did not take another peek at his abs before we left. The boys were still in the studio when we reached, so we danced in front of them. After that, we headed to a nearby restaurant to have our dinner. We had delicious hotpot and gelato ice cream, and I was dead beat and full when we returned. We each bid our goodnights and went to sleep.


------------------------------------------


Now:
I made that promise two years ago, and after successfully becoming besties with Boyfriend, we worked together to set up a plan for them to confess. It wasn't too hard. Boyfriend had Jeongmin confess that he did harbor feelings for Eunbin and after a few discussions - "No, Kwangmin, we will not lock them in a freezer because I do not want to be responsible for their death" - we had decided to force Jeongmin to confess to her during a car 'breakdown'. It must have been a success because the next day they were hugging and kissing like a couple.


It has been 2 years since I started having my crush on Minwoo and Eunbin still hasn't found out yet. Granted, she was too busy being lovey-dovey with her boyfriend, but I still prefer to go with the fact that I hid it well. I didn't talk to him a lot and I avoided him since I knew it would be really awkward. We were at her house again. She was in the living room with Boyfriend while I excused myself to engage in my favorite hobby in the dance studio.


I did some simple stretches and started slow with Beyoncé's Partition. This song made me nostalgic; it was the first song I danced to in front of Boyfriend - more importantly, Minwoo. My body moved along to the familiar beats and my eyes travelled my form in the mirror. The girl in the mirror was wearing a short black tank top and black shorts, complete with black high tops and a red shirt tied around her waist. The song ended and the next song played. It was a medley of Kpop songs with difficult choreography. After a few songs, I slumped down on the ground, disappointed that I was exhausted so fast because of the lack of exercise. I panted for air and walked over to my bag to get some water, pausing the music on the way.


"You shouldn't push yourself too hard, you know," a husky voice said. I turned around sharply, only to see Minwoo standing like a model in the doorway. I gave a half-smile before turning back to the mirror.


"What are you doing here? Aren't you all playing a game downstairs?" I asked as I stretched my tired limbs. Minwoo shrugged as he walked into the studio.


"It was getting boring," he said and sat himself down in front of the mirror. "Go on, pretend I'm not here."


I inwardly groaned, who can pretend to be fine with their crush in front of them? Besides, we weren't the closest in the bunch.


I played another song and tried to ignore him, but to no avail. Throughout the song, I kept catching his eye, brutally aware of his full attention on me.


It wasn't even the middle of the song before I had made another small mistake and Minwoo stood up and walked behind me. "No, you must do it like this," he whispered in my ear as he demonstrated, his hands on my hips. My breath hitched painfully at his close proximity and I struggled to concentrate on his tutorial. All I thought about was how his body was touching mine, transferring heat, and his mild cologne invading my nostrils. I my dry lips and focused on his reflection in the mirror. I bit my lip frustratedly; I was embarrassing myself in front of my crush.


I broke away from him, regretting almost immediately due to the loss of heat, and cast my eyes down. "I'm sorry, I'm not in my best condition today. I'll head home first," I muttered and went to retrieve my belongings. But a pair of arms wrapping around my waist stopped me.


I gasped again. Minwoo's embrace almost made me lean into him instead of push him away and pretend to be offended, like I would have done had I not have yearned for it the past two years. He nuzzled his head into my neck and his warm breath gave me goosebumps all over. His lips tickled my skin as he murmured,"Are you sure it's not just because I'm here?"


I stiffened. How did he know? As if he had read my mind, he gave a quiet chuckle, tightening his hold on me. His lips pressed against my neck and I released a shaky breath. My hands had placed themselves on his, and he had entwined his fingers with mine.


"You have no idea what you've been doing to me the past two years. Avoiding me, ignoring me. I didn't know what I did to receive that treatment, until I asked Eunbin." I widened my eyes. Had Eunbin discovered my crush? "She said you had a crush on me."


So she had found out. Then why hadn't she confronted me?


Minwoo turned me around. "Why didn't you tell me? I don't bite," he smiled as he pressed his forehead to mine. I bit my lip as I looked down, then them. But because of our distance, my tongue ended up touching his lips. My eyes widened even further as I pulled back to apologise but he pulled me back and kissed me on the lips.


I was surprised but closed my eyes as I kissed him back. Finally, after two years, I kissed him. We pulled back after a minute.


"Will you be my girlfriend?"