The Creep from the Window

The Creep from the Window

I met my first love in possibly the strangest, creepiest way. I live in an apartment building with 12 levels. I live on the fifth floor. My view from the window is nothing special except that it was how I came to know my girlfriend, Jessica Jung. My other window just looks out to a road which is constantly having a jam. It happened when I left to relax my eyes a little after staring at my laptop screen for four hours straight. I was looking for something to look at, something that was green since someone in school taught me that to relax your eyes, you have to look at something green. Apparently, it gives the best result. I stared at my fake plant for a few minutes before realizing I was thirsty. I poured myself a hot cup of tea before strolling to my window mindlessly. There I stood, blowing at my tea and zoning out. I took off my glasses for a bit since the steam from my tea was fogging the lenses. After wiping the lenses, I placed them back on and reached for my tea which I left at the window sill.

 


A woman caught my eye. She would be an ordinary woman to anyone, just munching on some chips. She was on the third level of the apartment building opposite mine. She wore a black shirt and I could not see anymore then that from my window to hers. Now, this was when I told myself it was fate. I usually would have preferred looking out the other window, the one which looks out to the road. There were more activities going on there with people walking in and out from restaurants and cafes along the street, with more flagging for a cab. Why did I look out of this window instead was just a question. The lady seemed familiar, like someone I have only seen maybe once or twice. Then again, I don’t ever take notice of people. I was taken by this lady. A little movement from her had me hooked. That wrist of hers moved ever so gently, more like, limply when she picked for her chips and place them in . She crunches on them with close. How I was looking and observing her all this time baffled me then.

 


For about a minute or so, and after me scalding my tongue with my still hot tea, she pushed away from her window, arms lifting off the window sill. She at her fingers one by one. Probably not wanting to waste the taste of the chips. She turned around and walked further into her apartment, it was then that my face heated up, having seen something so private. She was wearing nothing but a pair of below.

 


“Oh, .” I cursed to myself as I watch her cheeks bounce with each step she took.

 


I should be turning away to save her dignity that she did not know she lost but I just could not. Soon, she disappeared deeper into her apartment and I all but drank my tea, trying to suppress in what I hope is not arousal. However, when my fingers found their way beneath the waistband of my shorts that night and with the image of her , I knew I was doomed.

 


**

 


The following day, and I blame this on fate, I found myself in a café. I don’t normally visit them for the simple reason of my dislike of coffee. This café, however, offered tea and I ordered an iced one just to pass my time at the café. Again, I was away from my laptop to rest my straining eyes. I placed my glasses away, just for a moment. When I placed them on again, she appeared.

 


“Hi, would you like a slice of lemon in your tea?” She asked politely, with a smile I assume was practiced on countless of customers.

 


“Sure.” I answered simply with a small smile of mine I occasionally use on strangers.

 


She placed my tea on the small, round table in front of me and delicately dropped a slice of lemon into it. She pushed at it with a straw, trying to get the little juice out of the slice. I notice how she held a good length away from where my lips would be on the straw. I watched for a few seconds before stopping her with a hand, wanting to just be considerate.

 


“Let me.” I told her and she smiled back with a nod.

 


She left and I found my eyes lingering to the area that had me in knots yesterday. She wore tight, black pants today which hinder nothing of the image I saw yesterday. I inhaled sharply and told myself I was being stupid. I turned away as fast as I could. Soon, I found interest with the outside world, watching people walk up and down the street.

 


**

 


After knowing where she worked, I had been coming into the café often. Always ordered the same drink and sometimes ordering a slice of cake. Today, and I had been coming in for three days straight, I decided to use their wifi, just so I could have a reason to stay longer in this quaint café. I checked my e-mails, replied to most, edited pictures I took and edited a film. Editing a film could take up to twelve hours since I’m a bit of a perfectionist and only wanted people to view the best. I had not realized that the people coming in were starting to reduce until she came up to me with a glass of iced tea.

 


“I assume you need more time, here’s another tea for you.” She said as soon as I pushed my headphones down to hear her.

 


She placed the glass of tea down and failed to hear my thank you when she left quickly. I blinked once or twice, looked around the café and sighed. Time flies when you’re working hard. I decided I needed a break. I shut off my laptop and placed them away in my backpack. I told myself I would finish this tea and leave, only to find that the girl I had my interest in seem to be smacking her colleague out of embarrassment. She had her back to me so I allowed myself to observe her mindlessly. Her colleague finally realizes I was looking and she chuckled my way. I gave her a bewildered smile and watch as she told my dream girl something. I thought she would turn and look at me but when she left abruptly through the door behind the counter, I was taken aback. Her colleague was left smiling at me before she proceeded to cleaning the countertop.

 


Realizing I was the only one in the café, I decided to finish my drink fast, not wanting to stretch their work time. I was unwilling to go home just yet, it was kind of lonely up there so I called up a close friend of mine and decided to have a photography adventure around the neighborhood.

 


**

 


For a week, I was out of the country, called to Germany to direct a car commercial on a salt lake. I came back to my hotel room that day covered in salt from head to toe but with lots of fun memories. I was drained by the time I reached South Korea. I instantly fell into a deep sleep on my bed, only to wake up at 11PM. I groan slightly just looking at the time. I forced myself to shower, only to find that after I was refreshed, I was hungry. There was nothing to find in my refrigerator and eating cup noodles did not sound appeasing then so I decided to head out while I can. Without any goal or aim on where to eat, I find myself on a familiar path towards the café I frequented at. I instantly pitied the girl whom I first see when I stepped into the café. She had laid her head on a table, probably in a deep slumber. Must be hard on her, I thought then as I made my way to the counter to order my usual. I rang the bell they placed on the counter top, seeing as no one was behind it. I heard a gasp behind me and almost fell back at the sight of my dream girl waking from her slumber, hair all over her face and looking nothing less than disorientated.

 


“I’m so sorry, what would you like, Miss?” She asked immediately, tightening the apron around her waist.

 


“Oh, uh…” I could not help but stare agape at her brushing her hair back with her fingers.

 


I don’t know how but that action sort of .

 


“The-The usual?” I stuttered out as she went round the counter top to serve me.

 


Suddenly, I was staring at her blankly and she, back to me. There was silence for at least five seconds before her eyes widened and she gasped. I blinked in confusion.

 


“It’s you!” She exclaims and did quick work of rubbing her lips with her fingers, “Uh, , this is so embarrassing!”

 

 

I watch as she slightly hyperventilated, as if not knowing what to do as she turned around and picked up a glass and cleaned it with a rug, she was back to me again, and was asking the same question. I chuckled slightly, finding her so amusing. Without a second thought, I reached for her hand which she had on the counter top and spoke to her calmly.

 


“Iced  tea with lemon please and a little lemon meringue pie on the side too.”

 


My hand was still on hers and I could feel her tensing. I swore I broke out in cold sweat but was glad when she finally relaxed and smiled.

 


“Oh, all right, please wait at your table for your order.” She says, finally catching up on where she was and what she needed to do.

 


I blushed at her smile and retracted my hands.

 


“O-Okay.” I stuttered and walked away to find a place to sit.

 


There was no one in the café and I thought that maybe these people would stream in after midnight or something. I figured that this was a 24 hours café. I saw her entering the kitchen and was tapping my fingers when I heard a crash. I was on high alert immediately. Did she fall and hurt herself? Without thinking twice, I got up from the chair in a flash.

 


“Hello? Are you okay?” I entered the kitchen, walking carefully through the unfamiliar area.

 

 

I turned and saw her, glazed eyes on me as if she had seen something horrific.

 


“Are you okay?” I asked again and walked towards her.

 


“It’s almost midnight.” She told me instead.

 


I checked my watch, “Yes…?”

 


“I was suppose to lock up this place by 10PM.”

 


**

 


“I’m sorry you can’t have your lemon meringue pie.” Jessica apologized from my couch.

 


“It’s okay.” I assured her.

 


“And I’m sorry for having you help me with my chores.”

 


“It’s nothing.” I smiled and placed a disc into the player.

 


“Sorry for-”

 


I stopped her with a little glare.

 


“It’s perfectly fine,” I say, pressing play on a remote control as I made my way back to my couch and sat next to her. “I offered you to stay here for the night anyway.”

 


“But I only live across…”

 


“We only found out now, so it’s okay, just stay because honestly…” I looked at her, “I’m too lazy to send you home right now.”

 


“That’s okay.” She smiled sweetly, “Your couch is cozy anyway.”

 


“Good.” I smiled back at her before crossing my legs on the couch to make myself comfortable.

 


Right then, I was holding onto a lie as you all know. I lived near, you should stay the night with me, I told her after finding out that she does not own a car and walks home instead. There were many cases of robbery on the streets and I feared for her life so I offered that she stay and allow me to send her home later in the morning. I pretended to not know where she stayed and I could see her furrowing her brows after realizing that her house is just across. She looked so innocent and sorry then when she told me she stayed across from me that I almost let slip my real intention. Honestly though, I just wanted to be close to her. I promised myself to never look into her window again after witnessing her in her vulnerable state. The only time I allowed myself to watch her was when she was working in the café. Ah yes, I’m sure you all know that I’m a big-time creep but with someone who strongly believes in fate, you should expect me to never let her go that easily.

 


For now, we are seated on my couch, having decided to watch a movie after I told her that I could not sleep. She had offered to stay up with me, informing me that she was not going to work tomorrow since she is allowed to take a ten-days break. I smiled at the information and that’s how we ended up in this state.

 


“Um, Taeyeon?” She asked.

 


Of course, we have exchanged small details about ourselves. We were the same age and therefore she need not call me by any honorifics.

 


“Yea?” I replied, turning to face her.

 

 

“, this is so embarrassing.” She muttered before looking up at me, “Um, I’m really sleepy now and uh…”

 


“Go ahead then.”

 


“Okay but I need you to kind of… turn away for a bit?”

 


“W-why?” I thanked the dim lighting as I felt my face heat up.

 


I sort of knew the reason behind it.

 


“Ineedtotakeoffmypants.” She said quickly and I almost groan at the image of that.

 


Wanting to save her from embarrassment, I turned away quickly. So I’m guessing that she needs to sleep with her pants off. Well, now I know why she was walking around her apartment like that.

 

 


“Okay, I’m done.” She said in a soft voice.

 


I turned and find that she has covered herself with the blanket I had lend her for the night (specifically morning, since it’s already after midnight).

 


“I shall switch off the TV then.” I mumbled, standing up.

 


I knew she was uncomfortable so I had to be gracious and leave her by herself.

 


“I can still sleep with the TV on.” She offered.

 


“Nah, it’s okay, I have some work to do anyway, should keep me company.” I smiled at her to assure her.

 


“Okay, um, goodnight then. And thank you again.”

 


“It’s all cool and goodnight.” I entered my room after switching off my TV.

 


I found it hard to hold back my moans that night as I rubbed myself to the thought of her. This was seriously getting out of hand. I needed it to stop, except that, I don’t want it to.

 


**

 


It never stopped, instead it increased. My feelings for her grew from lust to genuine liking. I was falling for her. Then again, I was pretty sure I had fallen for her since visiting the café regularly. It was crazy, I barely knew her but with her break, I was allowed to know her better, making it hard for me to suppress this feeling of mine.

 


“Your photos could sell for billions.”

 


“Don’t exaggerate.” I scoffed at her comment as I allowed her to view my photo gallery, the ones that I’m proud of.

 


She was at my apartment, has been for many days. I have been to hers too and you could imagine how hard it was for me not to think of her walking around in nothing but a pair of . We are friends now for a week, she’s  my new companion whenever I needed an impromptu photography adventure. She taught me the wonders of coffee and me, photography. We got along very well and I’m never more glad for that. However, sometimes, I could not help but hope for more. I could only wish we were on the same wavelength whenever we cuddle on my couch or hers. I have learned she is an affectionate person which could be both advantageous and disadvantageous to me. When she has her back to me, against my chest, I hope to all things that she would not feel my pounding heart while at the same time, I enjoy it too much when my arms wound around her, pulling her closer.

 


“Okay, that’s enough of viewing.” I snapped lightly when she started chortling at an embarrassing picture of me.

 


She had opened a folder which I had kept for memory’s sake. Unfortunately, it was the one with too many embarrassing pictures of me and my friends, which also includes my ex but she does not need to know that. Before I could close my laptop though, she had already seen a picture of me and my ex, in what may seem in the most intimate pose ever.

 


“Oh.” Was all she said when she saw it before I closed my laptop.

 


“Uh, yea, well… that’s just someone.” I mumbled.

 


“Wow, I sort of knew…”

 


“Knew what?”

 


“That you are gay.”

 


I scoffed. “No kidding.”

 


“Um, I’m biual?”

 


“Why are you telling me this?” I asked, finding it random for her to reveal that.

 


“Well, I thought it was appropriate since I found out about you.”

 


“How cute.” I can’t help myself as I her chin affectionately at her adorable answer.

 


She lifted them in a playful manner, almost alike to a cat as she leaned into my touch. Of course, temptation got the better of me. From where I was (I was leaning against my desk next to her), I leaned down and brushed my lips against hers. It felt like it had to be done or maybe it was just in a heat of a moment, I did not know. But I was glad I did that because she reciprocated and responded to my kiss like it was the most normal thing to do. For what felt like infinity, we finally pulled away.

 


She hummed, “That was nice.”

 


“It was.” And I was back to kissing her again.

 


We never confessed but from the kiss we shared, we just knew and we never needed words to describe our relationship either. As long as we trusted, we knew what we were for each other. But we do blush from time to time when we meet up with our friends and introduced each other as, “She’s my girlfriend, Jessica/Taeyeon.” I also got round to telling her the truth when we were in bed (obviously in nothing), about the time I watched her from my window. She called me a creep and fell asleep after. When we woke up, she had hugged me around my waist and thanked me for visiting the café.

 


“If it was not for you, we won’t be like this.” She had said and I told her it was all fate that led me to her and I just needed to work a little to get her.

 


She laughed and called me “Silly Taengoo.”

 


Later into the relationship, I learned that Jessica had also taken an interest in me when she first served me my iced tea.

 


“Yuri always teases me about it,” She told me, which explains the time I saw her smacking her colleague’s arm.

 


And that, was the story of how I found my first love through the window.