Are You Afraid?

Are You Afraid?

Jung Daehyun has been blessed in many ways. He has good looks, a unique singing voice, is a member of a six person rookie kpop group, and has an awesome best friend named Yoo Youngjae.

One thing he is not blessed with is a love for heights.

Every time Daehyun would come close to a ledge he would quickly back away and run to Youngjae clutching on to the younger member’s arm for dear life. His breathing would quicken and his heart beat would rapidly pick up. Most of the time Daehyun felt like he was about to throw up as he looked over the ledge and noticed just how far up he actually was.

 Youngjae would just grab on to Daehyun’s hand and slowly lead the older past the ledge while saying words of encouragement. As soon as they were past the ledge Daehyun would let out a sigh of relief and turn to smile at his best friend.

Today was no different except for the fact that the group is currently standing in the middle of an amusement park.

It’s not very amusing to Daehyun right now as he stays latched to Youngjae as if they were one person. His palms are sweaty and he indeed thinks he might just throw up right in the middle of the park in front of a large crowd of strangers.

“Well Yongguk and I are headed to the arcade. He thinks he can beat me at air hockey.” A blonde Himchan stated as he grabbed the blonde haired Yongguk and practically dragged him off through the crowd of people.

“Jongup and I already called dibs on the roller coasters.” The blonde Zelo mumbled as he happily walked off with the clueless blonde Jongup.

“Do you want to go on that pirate ship ride, Daehyun?” A blonde Youngjae questioned as he patted the blonde Daehyun’s hand.

“I’m scared.” Daehyun whispered as he stared at his best friend through terrified eyes.

“It’s okay Daehyun. This ride is basically just a giant swing. It just rocks you back and forth. I promise it’s not that bad.” Youngjae assured the older.

Daehyun gave the smallest of nods before he spoke quietly, “okay. Stay with me though, please.”

“I will. I promise I won’t leave your side today unless I have to go to the bathroom.” Youngjae joked.

Daehyun just glared at Youngjae as they walked towards the line for the pirate ship ride.

The line wasn’t very long as pairs of people went and sat down in the seats the staff had instructed.

Daehyun and Youngjae managed to get a seat towards the front and they quickly pulled down the metal bar to lock themselves in place.

It didn’t take long for everyone to get seated and inspected before the staff member cranked up the machine and the ship came to life making a slight creaking sound which made Daehyun nervous.

As soon as the ship began to swing backwards Daehyun literally felt sick to his stomach and his sweaty hands were slipping along the bar that was holding them in their seat. His heart felt like it had dropped in his stomach and he wanted nothing more than to go home right now.

Youngjae could sense that his best friend was having a really hard time and he slipped Daehyun’s hand into his and gently squeezed it.

“If you’re afraid right now just close your eyes and it will all be over soon.” Youngjae said softly as he continued to hold his friends hand.

Daehyun could only nod in response as his eyes slowly closed and he started to take in shallow breaths.

I can do this, he repeated in his head over and over again as his friend continued to gently squeeze his hand.

As soon as the ride was over Daehyun opened his eyes and was about to leap out of his seat until he realized that the bar was still in place.

Youngjae just chuckled at his friend and lifted the bar up and stood up and walked down the steps with Daehyun following as closely behind him as humanly possible.

“I’m sorry you didn’t like the ride. I think you’re actually getting better at dealing with heights now though. You haven’t even thrown up once today.” Youngjae said happily as he wrapped his arm around Daehyun’s.

“The ride was fine. Can we go do something else now?” Daehyun asked as he looked at Youngjae through pleading eyes.

“Of course we can. Why don’t we do something that’s a little slower?” Youngjae offered.

“Sure. Let’s go.” Daehyun said weakly as he tried to return his breathing to normal.

 

 

 

“The Ferris Wheel? Really Youngjae? Isn’t this a ride that couples go on?” Daehyun asked as he shot a questioning glance to his friend.

“No. Friends go on it too. Plus I thought you might want a ride that goes slower. I know you still have a fear of heights but I think it might not matter since it goes so slow.” Youngjae said in a defense.

“Okay. If you say so.” Daehyun mumbled as he felt Youngjae slide his hand into his.

Both of them sat down in their seats and pulled the bar over them before the ride quickly started.

Daehyun sank back in his seat as Youngjae gently his hand to calm him down.

The oldest just closed his eyes briefly as he felt them being very slowly lifted into the air.

What he didn’t expect was the feeling of a pair of soft lips being pressed against his cheek which caused him to open his eyes and look at his friend with shock written all over his face.

“What was that for?” Daehyun asked as he stared at the red faced Youngjae.

“I thought it would help with your fear of heights. I’m sorry.” Youngjae mumbled as he turned to look away.

Their seat had suddenly stopped at the very top of the ride giving them a perfect view of the sights below them.

Daehyun swallowed the familiar lump in his throat and gently cupped his best friends face in his hand.

Youngjae’s doe like eyes stared at Daehyun’s almond ones in a shy manner.

“Thank you.” Daehyun whispered before he leaned in and pressed his lips against Youngjae’s.

Both boys felt their hearts flutter as their lips moved together as one almost as if they had done it a thousand times.

Daehyun pulled back and chuckled a little while he gently caressed Youngjae’s hand.

“You know, I don’t think I’m afraid of heights anymore.” Daehyun stated.

Youngjae just looked at Daehyun and chuckled with him before he brought their lips together for another kiss.

 

 

For the rest of the day Jung Daehyun forgot all about his fear of heights.


A/N: This one-shot is dedicated to AneeMato. I'm really happy that you faced your fears. I hope you like this story dearest and thank you always for the support. ^_^