--1--

You Are Not

Notice : I forgot to tell you, this is a one shot. Sorry. And here's it, hope you enjoy it

 


Little 7 years old Yoona was running happily in their backyard. Laughing non-stop, not caring about her dress and her shoes that probably still new and fresh, kicking every single thing that came to her sight with her tiny feet.

Maybe people looked at Yoona like a normal little girl. The truth was not. Yoona was weird, rather special. She’s an orphan, she never knew who were her real parents and she didn’t care. Why would she care? She’s adopted by a wealthy familly and got a really caring sister, step sister to be exact. Yoona also suffered some brain disease, it slowed down her development process. But lucky for her, her dad was a doctor that specialize at brain. That point also made the family adopted little Yoona.

Although Yoona was 7, she may be have a 4 year old’s brain. But again, she’s special. Somehow, she understood when they told them she’s an adopted kid, she understood perfectly despite her young age. Because of that, there’s hope in them, that one day Yoona will be cured. But for now, they were just going to focus to give Yoona a happy childhood.

But then, plan has never really goes well.

Tired playing in the yard, Yoona decided to go back inside and play with her sister instead. Plus she heard that her sister friend came today. How fun right? She thought. Still with the same happy step and her alligator smile, she skipped inside the living room. Her doe eyes caught a glimps of 3 stranger but not her sister. 2 boys and 1 girl.

One boy had a really big eyes with a glint of shining twinkle inside it, that boy also looked Chinese. The other boy looked rather more dark from the other, but the dark skin doesn’t reduce any of his handsome feature. The girl however, looked the oldest. The three looked starlted at Yoona’s presence, and the stares they’re giving were really intimidating.

Yoona mustn’t really paying attention to her fashion because she doesn’t realize that the stares were judging her outfit. Even though she’s thrown by glares, she still smile widely, in fact wider.

“Hi! I’m Yoona, Im Yoona. Let’s play!” Yoona cheered, rather to happy. The three’s eyes grew widen by the sudden loud voice by Yoona. A quick silence invaded the room before someone chuckling.

“Play? You think we want to play? With you?” the Chinese one said, his chuckle turned into laughter which followed by the others. While Yoona didn’t understand what his sentence suppose to mean just kept her goofy smile on.

“Yeah! Haha!” the tanned joined.

“Who are she anyway?”

“I think it’s Sica’s helper’s kid.”

“Really? Hahaha, no wonder she’s so filthy!”  the girl finally joined.

“Yeah.. looked at-”

Yoona can’t hear anymore, because there hands that used to cover both of her ears. Yoona knew it was her sister, so she stay still and giggled.

The chatter in the room died down as soon as Jessica entered the room and covered her sister’s ear. She glared to her friends an icy glare, making them shiver immediately. Still keeping her hand on Yoona’s ear, Jessica spoke coldly.

“Get.Out.”

“W-what? Sica-ah… she’s just your-”

“Get.Out. Can you understand? Now!” Jessica spoke the final word. The three ran out immediately. After the visitors were gone, Jessica heaved a sigh and removed her hand from Yoona’s ear.

Deep down inside, Jessica worried. She didn’t know how long Yoona has been standing there before she came, she didn’t know what else she heard. Anxious built up inside Jessica.

“Unnie~” Yoona cheered, she turned around and hugged her sister. Jessica was 3 years older than Yoona, sure she loved her so much and vice versa. “Why are they leaving?”

Jessica shocked by Yoona’s question. She thought Yoona will be happy if they gone, but why she asking now? Did she misunderstand something? Did Yoona catch their action the wrong way?

“Huh?”

“Nevermind, let’s play!” Yoona tugged Jessica’s arm playfully. Confused Jessica soon replaced by giggling Jessica.

“Yah! You played a lot already, let’s have a rest first, we play later,” Jessica said as she pulled Yoona to her embrace once again and sat down at the couch behind her with Yoona on her lap. They both giggled when Yoona snuggled to her sister neck, while Jessica kissed the crown of Yoona’s head. “Yoongie…”

The called one looked up to her sister with the same shining doe eyes, “Neh?”

“Promise me something,” Jessica said slowly, making sure Yoona understood every word she said. Yoona nodded her head, paying full attention. “That you would tell anything to me, okay?” Once again, Yoona bobbed her head up and down. “Good,” Jessica said with a warm smile, she patted on Yoona’s back. “Now, let’s go change! You’re dirty.”

Yoona giggled at Jessica’s word an obey, she jumped down from the lap and ran to the bathroom, waiting Jessica there. And so did Jessica.

 

 


 

A few days have passed. Jessica has banned her friends to come again, but the three plus Yoona don’t know the reason. Now, Yoona found herself in pretty much the same condition as few days ago, running in the yard.

Today, she decided to explore further, so she did. She shrugged off a few branches that holding her way back, sometimes, she stopped to look at a flower or an animal that came to her way and would clap happily. Her path actually led to her neighbor which happens to be one of the yesterday visitor’s house, which just separated by a metal fence that covered in small flowery plants.

When Yoona reached the fence, her smile grew wider. She loves to see such a cute flower that hanging on the fence. But when she peeked through the fence, her smile grew even wider.

 

There she saw, 5 people. She noticed the three people there were the one she talked to a few days ago, with an addition of one more boy and one more girl. She wanted to call for them again, asking if they remember who she was, asking if they want to play, but she decided to not because it seems like the five having their own conversation, plus, she cannot fit to the metal fence. So she just stand there quietly and hear everything they chatted. They spoke quite fastly, making Yoona hard to deterrminate who’s said what.

“Hey, hey hey! Remember the girl at Sica’s house?” the Chinese started.

“Yeah!”

“Who?”

“She…. Uhm what is her name again?”

“Yoona, Im Yoona,” the tanned boy answered. Since her name was mentioned, Yoona’s expression brightened up and set her ear more closely.

“Oh.. her. What about her?”

“Isn’t her Sica’s helper’s kid?”

“Oh no, she wasn’t. She was her step sister.” The unfamiliar girl spoke making them stopped and payed attention to the girl. “She was an orphan, and Sica’s family adopted her. She also has some brain problem, but I don’t know what it is.”

“Whoa Fany, how could you know about that?”

“Jessi is close to me.. Yeah, that’s why,” The girl that called Fany answered.

“Yeah whatever.. adopted child? Ha! She must be poor kid,” the other started to laugh at his statement exept Fany.

“And brain problem? Stupid kid,” the unfamiliar boy started to make fun of it.

“Remember her dres- wait that’s not even a dress!”

“I don’t know there’s such a worthless kid like that!” Everyone laugh whitout even knowing that Fany has left nor Yoona was watching. Soon, the topic changed and Yoona wanted to go back. A smile appeared in her face, why? Because she has something to tell to her sister. She ran immediately to the comfort of her house.

Yoona is poor, Yoona is stupid, Yoona is worthless,” Yoona uttered those word repeatedly in her heart, hoping she won’t forget about it.

“Unnie~~” Yoona cheered as she banged the door open and found Jessica was laying on her bed lazily. Jessica jumped a bit by her sister sudden appearance, she sat up straight immediately and looked at the younger confusely. “I have something to tell,” Yoona said as she climbed the bed with a bright smile. And crawled to her favourite spot, Jessica’s lap.

Looking at her sister’s smile, Jessica put up a smile to. “What is it?” By looking at her expression, Jessica guessed it’s going to be a good now, that’s why, she set her ear closely.

Yoona took a deep breath as she was going to speech in front of many people, “Yoona is poor, Yoona is stupid, Yoona is worthless,” she said happily. Jessica was taken aback, shock was all around her, her eyes wide opened. She took Yoona’s shoulder in both of her hand and looked at her directly in the eyes.

“Yoona…” Jessica said sternly, everyone that hear this would probably already shivered, but not Yoona. Yoona just simply nod her head and waited for the next line. “Why do you said that?”

Yoona seemed to ponder for awhile before answering her sister gleefuly, “Yoona heard it.”

“From who?”

Yoona’s face changed into a remembering face, “I don’t know the name, but some is from yesterday’s visitor.” After Yoona answered, Jessica stayed silent for a good 10 second.

“Yoona, listen closely,” Jessica told Yoona, so Yoona did. “You are not… You are not poor, you are not stupid and most importantly, you are not worthless Yoona… You.are.not. Get it?” Yoona nodded her head repeatedly, looking like a cute little bobble head. “And never go to that side ever again, get it?” Once again, Yoona nodded her head. “Now, go downstairs. I’ll join you later.”

“Okie Dokie,” Yoona said playfuly before jumping down from Jessica’s lap and made her way down. As soon as Yoona left, Jessica threw her body to the bed and sighed heavily. Glint of tears were visible in her eyes, threatening to rolling down her cheek.

How could anyone said that to Yoona? And how can Yoona react that way? By smilling and seemed happy about it. Yoona made it looked like it’s a good thing. Does Yoona know what it means? And it pained Jessica, too much maybe.

Why? Was it because she’s an adopted child? Was it because of her brain disease? Why? Why can such a people mock Yoona like that. In front and behind her back. Just why?

Jessica kept thinking about that, she didn’t even realize that her tears already burst out.

“Unnie!!” Yoona’s shout from down stare awaken Jessica. She wiped her tears as fast as she can, she didn’t want Yoona to know that she’s crying. Her sister image must stay strong, not weak.

“Coming!” Jessica managed to shout also, making it sound as cheerful as she can. She ran downstairs and met with a smiling ear to ear Yoona.

That’s right, never once in her life, Yoona spoted crying. Not even in front of Jessica. All Yoona had shown was a smile. Happy smile to be exact. And Jessica always thought it was a good thing until now. Jessica was afraid, she’s afraid what if behind those smile that Yoona had shown to her was fake? No it would never be… Yoona never hid her feeling for Jessica. Yoona truly loves her sister and always show Jessica her true emotion. What if Yoona actually just smiled to ease the pain? No one know. Not even Yoona herself.

They played together, but calmer. Obviously, since Jessica was not the type that would run around the yard and made herself dirty. Despite it’s just a quite play, Yoona really enjoyed it, as long as she’s with Jessica.

 

 


 

A few weeks have passed, now Yoona had to go to school, new school to be exact. She just came to the school now because she’s allowed to do so now. Mr.Jung believed that Yoona’s brain already capable to do so, so why not sending her to school? Yoona was a great kid, it should be easy for her to make friends. Right?

Wrong again.

Since her school was the oh-so-famous one and the rich-only kid that allowed there, they found it ridiculous for Yoona to enter the school. Even though they’re still in such a young age, the cocky personalities already in them. Plus the rumor about Yoona’s brain already spreaded.

And now, Yoona had to take the tease and the mock from her friends at school. Good thing she didn’t get physically bullied by them, but verbally. They laughed at Yoona, and Yoona just gave a sweet yet gleeful smile to her friends.

And each day, Yoona would ran to Jessica’s lap. Not for crying nor anything like that, but for smilling and telling everything she heard from school. From her teacher’s lesson until her friends’ statements. And everytime, Jessica’s heart ached more and more. Even though she could manage crying without Yoona knowing it.

And each day, Yoona still got the same respone as usual.

One day, as usual. Straight at 1pm, the door banged wide open, revealing the happy Yoona. Again, Yoona went to her sister’s room and wait there patiently until Jessica came home from her own school. Once the door was open, Yoona jumped down immediately and hugged her sister.

“Hello~” Yoona cheered happily as always. Jessica return the hug gladly.

“Hi, How was school?” Jessica asked, picking Yoona up and sat on the bed together. Behind her question, Jessica had a tiny glint, no scratch that, Jessica was hoping that Yoona wouldn’t had to tell her the mock that she got at school happily nor sadly. She wanted Yoona to have a happy schoolife.

“Great! I got an A for math class today,” Yoona said gleefuly when they sat. She continued with her story with the usual happy tone she had. And Jessica didn’t miss any of the story, she listened very carefuly for each of Yoona’s story. Until it reached the part that Jessica didn’t want to hear the most.

“But they said that Yoona don’t deserve anything, the good grades, the kind word from the teacher, the school and….” Yoona paused for awhile. For the first time her face dropped a little, looking unsure. Jessica was confuse by Yoona’s action, it’s her first time seeing Yoona like this, but Jessica just remain quiet.

 

“… A sister like you.”

 

Tears were treatening to fall on Jessica’s cheek, but somehow Jessica manage to hold it. She took Yoona’s shoulders in her arms and looked directly to the doe eye with her glassy eye. Unfortunately, Yoona still wanted to continue with her story.

“They said that-”

“Yoona…” Jessica called, cutting Yoona’s word which sent the younger to shut immediatelly. “Look at me,” Yoona obeyed. When Yoona looked at her sister, she shocked slightly since her sister had a glassy eyes. “You are not… remember that. Yoona… you deserve all of that thing, okay? Maybe you deserve a better sister, maybe I’m the one who doesn’t deserve you. But remember this Im Yoona, you deserve good thing. Get it?”

Afraid to say anything else, Yoona nodded. “Now, go to the media room, I got a new game to play,” Jessica said, managing herself to smile when her tears already in the edge of her eyes.

“Kay kay~ I’ll be waiting,” Yoona said, half-shouting because of the word ‘new game’. She jumped down fast and ran to the door. “Be quick!” Yoona giggled. After she got out, she didn’t shut the door close and run off to the media room, instead she left the door opened a bit and peeked inside. And what she sees shocked her.

Her beloved sister, Jessica was wipping her tears that continuesly fell on her soft smooth cheek. Tears after tears was rolling down her precious sister’s cheek, and it pained Yoona. A lot. She never know that her sister cried after her story. She never know that her speech hurting the older girl. She never know nothing after all.

Being her, Yoona understood. Yoona understood perfectly, that if she didn’t want to see her sister’s tears, she can’t tell all of those things again. She understood that she’s hurting her sister all the time. And that fact hurt her also. Slowly, she closed the door and ran to the media room.

On Jessica’s side, it could be the most hurtfull story from Yoona. She never thought that, ever in her life. Was she really don’t deserve a sister like Yoona? Was she really that bad for Yoona? She don’t know. The only thing she knew was Yoona derserve a better sister than her. The sister that could stop all of that mocking that Yoona got from her friends. The sister that could convise that Yoona was not bad and stuff.But oh well, no one can chage the fact that she’s her sister even though only a step sister. The only thing she can do was loving, loving her sister full heartly and hoping that one day Yoona could forget all of that thing, not hearing it than smile.

It’s not like Jessica hasn’t tried to stop the mock that Yoona received. She tried thousands times before, but the other kids weren’t Yoona nor Jessica, so they didn’s understand how mcuh pain they gave them nor what their words really mean that much. They just kept holding on to their cockyness.

Slowly, Jessica wiped her tears with the nearest pillow she had, then she checked herself on the mirror making sure no red eyes to be seen by Yoona. After that, she grabbed her new game, yep she didn’t lie to Yoona. And she’s sure that this game will bring her and Yoona so much fun. Jessica smiled for that thought. If she can’t stop the mocking now, at least she can make Yoona laughing like crazy later.

So with a light step she steped out from her room and met the smilling-like-crazy Yoona. Jessica warped her arm around Yoona’s neck and started to blabering all about the new game. Both of them act like nothing happen. When actualy there will be a big change in Yoona.

 

 


 

A couple of weeks have passed. Some thing change a little for the sisters’ routine. Yoona still would ran to Jessica’s embrace and told her every good thing that had happen that day. But something was missing, indeed. Yoona had cutted the part out. Yoona was no longer telling her sister about what they said to her in school.

At first, Jessica was glad, she thought the teasing already stopped. She was happy… very happy. But she was also curious, why suddenly it stopped? Do they finally found out how painful it is? Whatever is it, the important thing was the teasing already stopped. But that were only Jessica’s thought.

Jessica never knew that Yoona actualy still receive all of that bad words. Because Yoona hid it. Because once in Yoona’s life, she lied to her sister, she disobey her sister. Only for not seeing her sister’s tears anymore. And Yoona felt really good about it.

The words never actualy bother Yoona before. Until Yoona find out that it were hurting Jessica. Hurting Jessica means hurting her also. So now, she can felt it, she can feel the pain now. The pain in the chest that could never get out no matter how hard she try. The pain that Jessica felt.

But Yoona can bear with it. She don’t want to see Jessica crying because of her again. It hurt her more than the words. And Yoona didn’t want nor know to cry either. So she kept smilling whenever those words came to her.

In one particular Saturday morning, as usual, Jessica still on her pajama and roaming around lazily in the house. With a plate of toast in her right hand and a remote in her left, she sat crossed leg in the couch. Just simply enjoying the morning. And she wants Yoona to be with her, so she called her name.

“Yoona!” No answer. Weird, if Yoona is anywhere in the house, she must heard the high-pitched voice. “Yoongie-ah!” Jessica called louder. No answer again. Jessica frowned slightly before putting her plate and the remote down. She don’t know why, but she felt like searching for her younger sister.

Jessica started from the backyard, knowing her sister like to play in the small pond. But she find nothing there. A little dissapointed she was, but she kept on trailing the side of the yard. Until she reached a fence, she recognized it as the fence that define her house and her neighbor. It’s also the fence that Jessica prohibited for Yoona.

Thinking that Yoona mustn’t be there, Jessica moved her heels to the other way but stopped when she heard something. A laugh, a sascram one, and a familiar one to Jessica. So Jessica moved closer to the fence and peeked trough it.

It was the chinesse boy with her little brother. They both were laughing, the older boy patted the younger one on the back proudly.

“Wait… wait… tell me again. How she react?” the older one asked.

“She smiled then do nothing. I guess she’s really stupid,” the younger one answered.

“Aish, that Yoona kid. How do people like that can exist.”

“I know right.” The brothers laugh again, not knowing there’s one heart ache because of it.

 

Yoona still received the mocking from them…

That fact pained Jessica. That all of this time, Yoona hid it from her. That all of this time, Jessica unable to notice it. It hurts. Another roll of tear showed in Jessica’s cheek.

“Unnie!” Jessica heard someone called, it was no other thatn Yoona. Jessica turned her head quickly to face her sister, forgetting about her tears. Yoona’s face changed when she saw Jessica’s tears, the smilling one to a concern one. “Omo Unnie, why are you crying?” Yoona asked hurriedly, she ran immediatelly to her sister. But she stumbled on her feet and fell down instead.

Now, it’s Jessica’s turn to scream in panic. “Omo Yoona. Are you okay, aish. You clumsy kid,” Jessica ran to Yoona and kneel down beside her. Checking Yoona’s feet with her hand, afraid if there’s blood, but luckily there’s none, just a little scratch in the knee.

“Unnie, why are you crying?” Yoona asked, completely forgetting about her feet.

“Yoona…” Jessica said sternly, ignoring Yoona’s question. Usualy, Jessica’s voice never make Yoona scared, but this time Yoona gulped hard. “Why you lie to me? Why you don’t tell me everything?”

Being Yoona, she understood what her sister meant. “Are you mad?” Yoona asked quietly. It’s her first time to see or hear Jessica like that. Jessica just simply shocked her head and gently pulled Yoona up.

“It’s just… never mind. Let’s go treat your scratch.”

Feeling guilty because she broke the promise, Yoona’s body trembeled, she bit her lower lips, “Fine, Yoona will tell why.” Yoona’s word success to grabbed Jessica’s attention. “My feet didn’t hurt. My chest did. After I knew that you’re hurt because of it, it hurt me to. But I can bear with it.” Yoona’s speech sent Jessica speechless.

“It’s okay if they said Yoona is ugly, poor, stupid, worthless, nothing… it’s okay if no body wants to play with Yoona. It’s okay if Yoona was hurt, as long as you’re not.” Yoona ended with a small sad smile.

Once again, Jessica surprised. She never thought that her little lovely sister can became this deep. She never know that Yoona really hate it when she cried. But she was also touched, by how much Yoona loved her, by hiding it for the sake of not seeing her tears.

“Yoona…” Jessica called, really softly, making Yoona to looked at her confusely. “When you’re hurt, I’m too. Okay. Now, do you want to know how to ease the pain?” Jessica said with a small smile. It’s true, she was hurt, but maybe it’s her chance to change it.

Catching some intresting advice might be heard, Yoona nodded her head. Jessica smiled after Yoona’s action, she opened her arms wide open, “Come here! Cry in my embrace,” Jessica smiled while wiggling her body and head in a cute way, which sent Yoona to gigled slightly.

“Won’t my tears will hurt you?” Yoona asked hesitately.

“No it won’t,” Jessica asured, still wiggling her body, so eager to hug the younger one. Yoona stood there for another second before tackling Jessica to the ground, giving her a big big bear hug. A child-like cried can be heard from Yoona, followed by a few sob. Jessica drew up a small smile and stop her silly act, she hugged Yoona back almost immediately, rubbing Yoona’s back softly while planting small kisses on her head.

“There, there… feel better?” Jessica asked while smilling, because she saw her sister’s smile Yoona smiled also and nodded. A hand used to wiped her tears away and another hand still clings on Jessica’s neck. “Now, I’ll give you a magic spell,” Jessica said, she moved her hand gently so it made a magical feeling. Seeing that, Yoona giggled, she always loved when her sister being like this, scratch that, she always love her sister.

Jessica peeled Yoona’s hand of her neck and grabbed Yoona’s shoulders in both of her hands. Jessica looked directly to the pair of doe eye like usual, but not with a stern stare, but in a warm one. “You are not anything like you heard from them. You’re not ugly, you’re beautiful. You are not poor, says who poor people live in a mansion? You’re not stupid. You got many A remember? You are not nothing, no one is nothing. And most importantly, you are not worthless. You’re precious, to dad, to mom, and mostly to me. And I love  you .So my lovely little sister, do you get what I said?”

Again, Yoona nodded her head and hugged her sister.

“So, what is it?”

“Yoona is not like that. Yoona is good, not bad. Yoona is loved. Yoona is happy,” Yoona said, smilling like an aligator. Jessica ruffled Yoona’s hair playfuly, indeed she was happy that now, she finally knew Yoona’s true emotion. That now, Yoona can expres more feeling to her. That from now, Yoona will no longer believe on those words. That now, Yoona and her were truly happy.

“Good, now, let’s treat you scratch and find a way to stop them,” Jessica said, not bothering to pull Yoona up, instead she picked her up in her arms. And this time, Yoona didn’t protest, she held to her sister’s neck tighter.

“Ne~” she answered shortly yet a happy tone. Today, she learned rather many things. She learned that it’s not good to lying to Jessica. She learned that she trusted Jessica than anyone else. She learned that crying is for easing the pain or expressing how hurt she was. She learned that she’s precious.

And one sentence that Jessica always said ringing on her head all the way back to home.

“You are not.”

“Yoona is not.”

 


(A/N) Is it just me or this story looked mire like a fluff than an angst? Sorry if you got confuse or this story is not good, but I'm kinda planning to make this two shot, but the second shot will be more fluff and short, so yeah you can tell me what to do through anything (comment, pm, wall) I hope you enjoy this.

 

Thank you for all of you, subscribers, upvoters, commenters, and silent readers. Love you all. Thanks. -huskylover