Final

Stranger Love

You're an ordinary Chinese girl in her teens. You may have lost your parents because of a traumatic tragedy, but you still look on the bright side and stay positive. Your aunt, your mother's sister, and her husband take care of you like their own child.

 

It was a sunny Saturday morning and you decided to go to the mall just to kill time. You were happily eating an ice cream when a commotion caught your attention. They look scared and nervous at the same time. Being curious, you asked one of them.

"A young man is trying to commit suicide." The lady said.

 

After hearing such statement, you pushed yourself into the crowd. You don't know why, but you felt panic rush into you. When you reached the front row, there stood the man on the railing of the second floor, ready to jump. There were police officers in case he does something reckless since the man was holding a knife.

 

"Leave me alone!" He shouted with tears streaming down his cheeks while pointing the knife.

 

The officers were trying to calm him down. At that time, your mind went blank and decided on its own; you wanted to help. You made your way to the man, but were stopped by an officer. "Please let me in."

"No, we can't. Sorry, Miss, it's dangerous."

"I'm..........his girlfriend." You lied.

He reluctantly let you go to the man.

 

He was facing your back, so you gently grabbed his shoulder to catch his attention. He turned to look at you with a confused face. You just gave him a warm smile. You cupped his cheeks and wiped his tears with your thumb. He still has the confused look on, but ignored it. You slowly leaned in and gave him a soft kiss. His grip on the knife loosened and soon dropped it; the chance for the officers to take him away from the railings, so you slowly pulled away from the kiss.

 

"Sir, we need to handcuff you, just in case." The officer informed the man, but he was still obviously in his trance.

"Miss, we need you to come with us to the station." You nodded.

 

=In the Police Station=

 

The officers were having a hard time interviewing him, because he wasn't speaking at all.

"Mr. Zhang Yixing, we need you to speak up. There's no reason to be scared. We just want to know the reason for your behavior." The head officer told him.

"I'll try to talk to him." You said.

With that, the officers left the two of you in the room. They were just actually going to the next room with speakers so they can hear your conversation.

"Uh…hey, Yixing." You called.

He stared right into your eyes, looked down and sighed. You noticed the tears forming in his eyes.

"My mom..." He spoke up which surprised you. It was the first time hearing his music-like voice. It was very soft, calm, and gentle.

"She was the most precious person in my life. My dad had to marry her back then because of a mistake, which is me. He never treated mom right, never acknowledged me as his son; he loves someone else and always stays with her, leaving us without a care. Years later, mom died because of sickness; dad was more than happy. He can finally marry his woman. He let me stay with them but still treated me as if I never exist. When he's at work, his wife would maltreat me, hurt, abuse, even ually harass. I tried to tell it to my dad but he never believed me. I was sick of everything. I just wanted to end all of this." He cried hard.

You took a seat beside and hugged him.

"Let it all out." You said as you pat his back. You felt his arms snake around your waist.

Letting him cry in your embrace, you decided to tell your story. "I know what you're trying to say. Committing suicide is like running away from your problems, and it's not the solution. When I was a child, there was a chaos I didn't know of. My parents just told me to hide in the cabinet and to keep quiet; I did what I was told. Through the ajar cabinet door, I could see what was happening. Strangers came into our house and........killed my parents. I saw everything.” You felt his arms tightened around you. “I was traumatized. As I grow up, that scene always hunts me in my dreams. I just try to stay positive and right now, I'm grateful for my life." You slightly pulled away and gave him a smile.

"You're a very strong girl." He commented.

"Of course. I can't let it ruin my future, and you shouldn't let yours too."

He nodded and gave you a breath-taking smile; another first.

 

You stood up from your seat. "Wait in here for a while. I just have to talk to the officer."

He grabbed your wrist before you can even go. "You won't leave me, right?"

You shook your head and gave him a reassuring smile.

 

After the talk, they let the two of you go home. You were told to make him go see a therapist and to look after him all the time. As the two of you were walking, you decide to break the silence. "It was nice to meet you, by the way."

He stopped walking and faced you. He suddenly pulled you in a hug. Surprised by his actions, you stood still frozen on your spot. "Thank you." He whispered. "I would like to start a new, as you said. I'll never go back to my hell life. But promise me, you'll never leave me and always stay by my side."

Not knowing what to reply, you kept silent. He lifted your chin up and started to lean in until there are no space between you two. He smiled in the kiss when you kissed back.

He, yet again, gave the breath-taking smile of his once you two pulled away. "Can you promise me?" He asked again.

You smiled at him and nodded.

"By the way, your way of distracting me earlier was pretty unique; it totally worked." He teased.

"Hey!" You blushed. He started running before you could even hit him. You ran and chased him.

 

You just wanted help. It never passed through your mind to end up like this; it is actually not the end, everything is just about to start. Feeling butterflies in your stomach, cheeks turning into crimson, happy and secure just being around with each other; is this what they call love? Is love even the right term to use? You were just strangers. But if it is, both of you are happy and accept this foreign feeling for each other.