Chapter one

evacuee

 My first time away from home

 

Lu Han stood there in the crowd of children, with hands tightly clasped around the straps of his leather back pack, with a gas mask loosely hanging around his neck, as it's empty box looped around his shoulder. He was dressed in his best clothes, hoping to impress his new host family. It was 6 in the morning, Lu Han was sleepy, he couldn't fall asleep the night before because of his anticipation. 

 

The boy's ice blond hair was thick, freshly washed and trimmed with his loose curls nearly brushed into a fringe, covering his forehead. His crisp ironed light brown shorts only reached down mid thigh, and his gray woollen socks were just below Lu Han's nobly knees, to be honest the weather was quite cold, but the boy didn't mind. He was warmed up by the adrenaline pumping through his body, although he didn't show it, he was excited. He was wearing a simple white, collared shirt, with a plain maroon coat, buttoned up nicely against his chest.

 

The children waited patiently in groups with teachers looking down at them, counting them every one in a while. Lu Han was the smallest in his group, his brother was going was in a different huddle of children probably going to somewhere else, some where far way, from where he was going.  

 

Lu Han clicked his shoes together, he didn't know most of the people around him, they were from different schools in different grades, they just chatted to their mates ignoring the flustered boy. They were waiting for the steam train to arrive, Lu Han had been worried about this day since he was told about it, despite the fact that he was devastated that he was leaving his patents and he'd propably never see his brother again, he was okay with it, it's not like he could do anything about it. He was only worried because of the new 'family' he'd have to live with. 

 

Lu Han watched patiently, the air was filed with smoke from cigarettes, and it was getting quite stuffy since the children were surrounding him, barging into him occasionally. The train arrived with a series of chuffs, catching the children's attention, the rumbling sound it made was almost deafening to the blond child, it screeched into a halt. A whistle sounded loudly as the doors open, a tall groomed man stepped out, bellowing a loud 'All aboard'. 

 

The teachers ushered the children in, seating them in the leather seats, in pairs. Oh no. Lu Han looked up at everyone around him, and had already felt frightened by their height, everyone started hooking arms with one another leaving him partnerless. 

 

"It's okay…" A teacher, knelt down to flicker their eyes over Lu Han's evacuation tag, pinned on his collar. It had his name, school, age, height and home address, in cursive handwriting. "…Luan. You can sit with me." She must have missed the 'h' Lu Han thought, gingerly smiling at the woman, lifting his foot up, stepping inside the train, trying to avoid the large gap. 

 

He sat there, beside the stick thin lady, with his bag on his lap, he clenched his hands on his knees, as he turned his head, looking outside for his brother.  He was just tall enough for his eyes to look over the edge of the window. A familiar male caught his eye, waving slowly with a crooked smile. Lu Han brought his hand up, waving back him. The elated children were gathering around the windows, shouting their goodbyes, smiling for some photographers on the platform. 

 

The train, started. Wheel spinning, steam spewing, whistle blowing, grumblingly and laboriously hauling itself out of the station.

 

-

 

The Oh family were chasing the clock, they had to arrive at the village hall before each and every one of the children had been chosen. However they were late to an extent in which the teachers and supervisors were about to leave. One hour late. It was already past 3 pm, the evacuees had arrived earlier than expected.

 

"Mrs and Mr Oh?" an old man approached the pair, glancing at the boy standing beside them, holding on to his mother's hand. "You're a little late don't you think?"  

 

"Ah. We apologise, we were told that they would be here at 5." Mr Oh, scratched the nape of his neck, the man chuckled, directing them to a small bou curled up into a ball on an arm chair, bunched up in blankets.

 

"Lucky for you, we just found this lad, napping on the benches outside. Actually he's very fortunate that there was still a family for him" He said quite loudly, his voice echoing in the large room. "Sadly he won't be the type to do much work in farms." 

 

"Oh it's okay. We don't own a farm." Mrs Oh said, lifting the male from the chair. "Oh my. He's so pretty" Mr Oh combed his soft hair back with his hand. Sehun scrunched up his face as he saw how the two instantly melted.

 

"Look Sehun. Isn't he adorable." Sehun scoffed, turning away from the boy who was presented to him "Sweety...You'll have to get along with him."

 

Sehun shrugged, pocketing his hands, as he stubbornly, refused to look at the male. "He'll have to share a room with you." 

 

"What? Why me?" Sehun crossed his arms, frowning at his mom. "I only have one bed. Mama, please can he sleep with you and Papa?" 

 

"Well then you'll have to share your bed." and with that parents placed the male on the chair again, squeezing Sehun's shoulder as they walked past him, chatting with the man again.

 

Sehun was left alone with the boy, quietly snoozing beside him. 'Good thing you don't snore' Sehun thought, he froze when his eyes landed on the delicate male. p

 

Sehun eyed the male, admiring his graceful features. He was beautiful, he had a complexion of royalty, his long eye lashes rested upon his porcelain skin, his lips were pink and plump, gaped slightly with his light breaths rolling over Sehun's. He hasn't noticed how much he'd leaned in, half-mindedly his hand made its way up to the male's face, brushing his finger tips on his cheek bone. Cheking if this doll was real.

 

His gaze caught something under the blanket. A tag? he tugs at the card slowly,  being careful not to wake the boy. Lu Han, St. Agustine's Primary school,  8 y.o, 129cm, 23 Lansdowne Rd, London, W11 2BF. 

 

"Lu Han." The name was perfect, Sehun couldn't imagine how spoilt this boy must be. 

 

Lu Han stirred, eyes fluttering open, and hazel brown eyes met his. "Hello" His voice was like tinsel, he was staring at the him sleepily, with a smile playing along his lips. Lu Han's face reddened when he noticed how close their faces were, and immediately jerked back, hitting the back of his head onto the chair.  "Um..I - I…um.."  Sehun just stepped back, seemingly unaffected by it. 

 

"You're awake!" Mrs Oh, walked back, hand in hand with Mr Oh, they noticed his scarlet face and looked at each other worriedly. "Do you have a fever?" The couple rushed towards him,  placing a hand on his forehead, Lu Han shaked his head,  "Oh...You just seemed a bit red." Sehun avoided eye contact and distanced himself more. 

 

"I - I'm fine." Lu Han mumbled, shyly glancing at the boy standing beside them, now holding onto his gas mask container and with his  backpack on his shoulder. "Sorry for worrying you..."

 

The 8 year old (Sehun) looked down at the wooden flooring. Isn't he supposed to be snotty? Sehun had expected him to be more stuck-up, since he was from the city, spoon-fed all his life, pampered and groomed, he knew they weren't going to get along with each other.

 

"It's okay." They helped him to stand up,  folding the blanket neatly, placing it on the arm rest.  "What's your name?" 

 

"Lu Han..." He muttered, hands by his sides, feet together, as if he was a little soldier. Sehun sneered at it inwardly, feeling that weird flurry of annoyance that ruffles in his stomach.

 

"Oh. That's a nice name. My name is Eric" Sehun's father complimented, walking the boy outside of the hall, with Sehun and his mom following behind. "And how old are you?" 

 

"I'm eight years old." Lu Han said, feeling his confidence grow. The taller boy watched Lu Han's every move, he was very stiff and awkward, sometimes tripping over his own steps. 

 

"You'll have to be nice to Lu Han." She leaned down, narrowing her eyes at Sehun.

 

"Okay..." The boy, walked ahead, catching up to his dad. Sehun strolled beside his father, oposite to where Lu Han waddled. 

 

They walked home, stalking a marshy trail to their house, quite remote from the village. Lu Han was on Sehun's dad's shoulders, tightly clutching on to his hair, afraid of how high he was. Sehun tailed behind them, boring holes on the back of Lu Han's head. Sehun was wearing his wellington boots, rather than a pair of fancy lace up leather shoes, so he could manage to walk across. 

 

Lu Han liked the smell of the countryside, it smelt like grass and trees, the air was fresh and breathable compared to the chemical polluted air London had. Lu Han briefly turned his head, trying to catch a glimpse of the  charming boy he saw earlier. 

 

The was a click when they made eye contact, Lu Han's eyes widened and a small gasp escaped his lips. He flushed pink, whipping his head forward, he pressed his lips into a straight line, trying to subdue redness in his cheeks.

 

"Were almost there" Eric stated, digging through his pockets for the keys. Lu Han saw the large house come into view, he formed an 'o' with his mouth, awing at how large it was. He only lived in a small terrace house back in London, but he liked it, the milk float would come by every morning and he'd always help delivery the milk.

 

The house looked old,  but well cared for, there were pretty streams moss on the cobble stone house, with thorny brambles edged along the front.  A row of roses borded the footpath, leading to the front door.

 

As they reached the front of the gate, Sehun unlatched it, knowing that his dad would have some trouble with that 'princess' on his shoulders.

 

"Sehun, where's Mama?" The man questioned the male. Lu Han smiled, he liked the boy's name, it suits him very well. 'Sehun' he mouthed, giggling quietly after. 

 

"Mama went to buy some groceries." Sehun shrugged, entering the house, as it was unlocked. The warmth of the house made him shudder as he was lifted from the man's shoulders onto the mat on the tilled floor of the foyer. He watched as the two take their shoes off and did the same, slotting them into little pigeon holes where other shoes were kept.

 

"I'm going to make tea" Eric went into the kitchen, running the tap over some vegetables, pulling out a wooden chopping board.

 

Sehun dropped Lu Han's bag and gas mask box onto the coffee table in the living room, seating himself on the couch, opening a book on his lap. The timid boy sheeply walked in, he had taken off his coat, and he was now trying to tuck his shirt in.

 

"H-Hello my…name is Lu Han…" he hid his hair behind his ear, he introduced himself to the boy, who sternly flipped to the next page, rolling eyes as he looked at his pink-tinted face. 

 

Lu Han meekly followed Sehun onto the couch, shuffling closer to the boy. Sehun took no regards of him, and continued reading. Lu Han peeked into the book finding a bunch of words on the page, he shifted closer squinting his eyes to see the letters better.

 

"Um..What are you reading?" Lu Han asked voice like honey, tilting his head sweetly at the focused boy. "What are you reading?" he said again, thinking that the boy may have not heard him the first time he asked.  "Wha-"

 

Sehun sighed and closed the book, showing the front over of the book, with the words printed boldly onto it. 

 

"A-A...L-Li-i..um...s-ee?" Lu Han gulped, pointing a finger on each letter, slowly sounding them out. "i…n...W-W-Wo o-n d-ee-are...L-L a-nuh de"  Sehun hadn't expected that. The smaller was struggling to sound out the letters, stringing them together to make sylables. "S-Sorry I'm not very good at reading…" he mumbled, folding his legs up to his chest.

 

Sehun took his nible hand and helped him turn to the first page, positioning the book so that it was in between them. "Alice was begining to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and have nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it…" Sehun read out loud, well. Loud enough for Lu Han to hear. The boy folowed the words, with amazement.

 

 Sehun was reading the words with ease. Lu Han had always had trouble reading, he's been read to, but he'd never actually picked up a book and read by himself.

 

"She had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket,  or a watch to take out of-" 

 

"Eric look!! They're getting along so well!" Lu Han reddened, as his small hands grasped Sehun's. She grinned at the children, placing the bag of groceries on the floor, taking her shoes off as she beckoned her husband to look. As she looked away for a second, Sehun hastly pulled his hand from Lu Han's grip, tutting after seeing the boy pout. 

 

 ...

First chappie done :)