3.

Convincing

Minwoo, the suspect, as Eric soon discovers, is a force to be reckoned with.

After being told that no, in fact, he will not be going to jail, the short man threw something akin to a temper tantrum. He panicked and cried, clutching Eric's soiled uniform pants with a desperation that made cold sweat roll down the officer's spine.

After what seemed like an eternity for Minwoo to finally calm down, Eric drove him back home where he hastily packed his things, careful not to let the officer set foot into his house--which frankly pissed the man off just a tad.

Minwoo didn't have a lot on him--a suitcase was all he came out with--and soon after they left the small apartment.

The ride to Eric's home was a silent one.

ㅇㅇ

They cleared up the guest room in Eric's house that night and Minwoo fell asleep right away. Eric snorted at the sight of the pitiful man sprawled on top of the moth-bitten blankets and left to get drunk alone downstairs. He lamented over everything--from his current situation to the tension between his coworkers and higher-ups to the hopelessness he has with Hyesung.

It was well into the afternoon when he was roused by Minwoo, asking if he felt alright and if he needed anything for his hangover. Eric only snapped at him, ignoring the sincerity and concern on the other's face. 

They never talked about it afterwards.

ㅇㅇ

"Don't get the couch dirty," Eric growls in warning. He finishes up the last of the dirty dishes (gruffly declining Minwoo's offer to help--no doubt he'll break everything) and contemplates a shower. He doesn't trust Minwoo at all in his home, more worried for his furniture than a potential escape; the sparkling tracking device looped tightly around the man's ankle prevented such. Eric threads his fingers through his hair, feeling up the greasiness of it, and groans.

"I wont, I'm a clean person."

"Sure. I'm going to take a shower--don't you dare do anything you'll regret," Eric narrows his eyes threateningly at the small figure on the couch. His couch. "God, I can't believe I'm looking after your sorry ."

"It's not my fault I'm here and not in jail--"

"What, so it's my fault now?"

"I never said--"

"You know what I need to know? What you're doing. What you're thinking." Eric advances to the couch, shoulders tensed and eyes flared. He towers above the other, glaring down at him with a palpable ire. "Why were you trying so hard to get thrown into jail?"

Minwoo shrinks back a little and Eric thinks this may be the first time he's seen fear in those small eyes. Encouraged by the sudden submission shown by the other--why didn't he do this sooner? Would've knocked the guy a few pegs down, he thought--Eric continues his relentless verbal assault. He demands an explanation, an answer, an apology for all that Minwoo has done since that time at the crime scene. He blames him for all the turmoil that has happened with his job, with his seniors, with Hyesung, and takes out all his anger on the helpless man sunk deep among the cushions of the couch.

"Are you brain-dead?," Eric breathes, voice low and incredulous and threatening all at once. "Are you always this stupid, or is today a special occasion?"

The insults continue to roll off Eric's tongue, and even though he thought it would make him feel better, to cheer him up after the past few ty days, it doesn't. He feels numb but the words don't stop flowing.

"You're just trying to get pity, right?" The smaller man flinches and doesn't quite meet Eric's gaze. "You just want attention--I bet you actually killed--"

"I did."

"...what?"

"I don't want to be in jail," Minwoo whispers, voice so quiet that Eric has to strain to hear. "I need to be in jail."

He starts crying then, a trickle of tears that ran down the edges of his moist eyes. When he realizes, he hastily rubs at them with his arms.

"You don't understand... I... I'm--" Minwoo heaves a few shaky breaths, arm still draped over his eyes. Silence sinks into the room and settles into the cushions on the couch, the carpets, Eric's ears, occasionally penetrated by the sound of heavy breathing.

"I-I'm going to bed. Goodnight."

He pushes past the officer and runs up the stairs. A short while after, there's a click of a door being shut.

Eric stands alone in his living room, feeling guilt envelop his being. Shaking his head slightly to shake it off, he switches off the lights and heads upstairs as well.

A hot shower is all he needs.

ㅇㅇ

 

omylord forgive me as I have zero knowledge on anything crime and justice so personally I feel this fic will be very weak and unconvincing 

nonetheless I hope you enjoyed reading! Sorry for the wait (I got sidetracked by drawing)!

feedback is always appreciated! We are all looking to better ourselves~